Mystickoracle's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, May 22nd, 2019 9:00 AM

Closed

On Demand no longer supported on TiVo (after 6/25/19)

Just recieved a letter from Comcast that at the end of June the OnDemand app will no longer be available to TiVo users.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Will there be a discount applied for not being able to use advertised services of my current plan??

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

Just read a great article describing the benefits of 5G cellular service.  Once this is generally available, we'll be able to access high-speed internet service, including streaming video, through our cellular carrier and not be tied to the hardware cable that Comcast owns.  We'll all be able to dump Comcast then.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I'm fine not accessing the Xfinity On demand service on TiVo or anywhere.  The content library pales in comparison to Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu anyways and if I want to pay for new releases I can go to Vudu, Tubi or another provider.  The only time I watch Xfinity is watchathon week when I can binge watch HBO or Showtime series.

This whole charade is because Tivo and Comcast are locked in a bitter patent dispute.  Both parties could make it work if they were willing to do so.

Hear this Comcast...  If it ever gets to the point where I have to choose between keeping Tivo or keeping Comcast, I am keeping Tivo and dumping Comcast in a heartbeat!

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

This is ridiculous.  I hope that you will now start to support (or allow access) to HBO Go, Starz on Demand etc.  Comcast's/XFinity's drive get everyone to commit to an annuity for your company by renting equipment from it is very frustrating.

You need to get this fixed.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

The Notice states that the "platform" uses out-of-date technology, but it fails to specify whose platform it is.  I guess the assumption is that it is Comcast's platform and, by extension, that Comcast is unwilling to update its platform.  If so, then as others have pointed out, it's either (1) a thinly-veiled attempt to get customers to pay for Comcast's  substandard cable boxes, (2) Comcast's simple refusal to invest money upgrading, or both.

Despite the often mediocre picture quality which I assume is due to compression necessitated by poor bandwidth, I have hung on to my Comcast service out of sheer refusal to change.  But eventually I will hit my breaking point, and this has gotten me closer.

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

I have 2 Samsung smart TVs and cant get the stream app

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I would like to point out that some hardware and applications that are 10 years old are NOT able to support OS upgrades and patches. Especially when said application is a third party vendor.

Sometimes things are just as you are told they are, no other motive involved. Cynical much?

Contributor

• 

139 Messages

5 years ago

@ChadHanefeld wrote:

The Notice states that the "platform" uses out-of-date technology, but it fails to specify whose platform it is.  I guess the assumption is that it is Comcast's platform and, by extension, that Comcast is unwilling to update its platform.  If so, then as others have pointed out, it's either (1) a thinly-veiled attempt to get customers to pay for Comcast's  substandard cable boxes, (2) Comcast's simple refusal to invest money upgrading, or both.

Despite the often mediocre picture quality which I assume is due to compression necessitated by poor bandwidth, I have hung on to my Comcast service out of sheer refusal to change.  But eventually I will hit my breaking point, and this has gotten me closer.

(3) Because of Tivo lawsuit against Comcast.

https://www.lightreading.com/video/video-software/tivo-fires-another-lawsuit-at-comcast-/d/d-id/750967

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Comcast should at a minimum enable support for HBO Go etc on the TiVo.  But of course they won't, because this change is clearly aimed at getting everyone to switch to X1 DVRs.  Maximizing the user experience for TiVo users is not their goal.

And it's obvious that "runs on out-of-date technology that cannot be upgraded or updated" really means "we decided years ago to stop investing in support for third-party DVRs, and we've finally reached the point where we can justify shutting down the on-demand service - hooray for us!"

If Comcast and TiVo were cooperating, there would be an Xfinity Stream app for the TiVo.

Another "at a minimum" request/replacement is Comcast should support Chromecast casting from the Xfinity Stream tablet apps.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

So, will HBO Go work now or not?

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Amen.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

5 years ago

@ComcastTeds wrote: ... On June 25, Comcast and TiVo will remove the ability for customers to access Xfinity On Demand on TiVo devices. ...

Not cool Ted. Dragging your customers into your dispute with Tivo ill-serves all three parties. Expect this short-term strategy to hurt you in the long term.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Just my opinion as someone who had been programming for 50 years. If all those other platform can make it work the problem is that TiVo doesn't want to go through the effort to make it work.

Contributor

• 

139 Messages

5 years ago

@Jerryair wrote:

Just my opinion as someone who had been programming for 50 years. If all those other platform can make it work the problem is that TiVo doesn't want to go through the effort to make it work.

Look at this post as I do not think the issue is on the Tivo side.

Read the answer to the question: Why didn't you have a replacement app for Comcastt VOD available before Comcast discontinued the existing app?

https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/xfinity-vod-app.571397/page-9#post-11789128

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

@njweb wrote:

Are there other ways I can watch On Demand content?
Yes. If you have an Xfinity TV Box, you can still access your On Demand content, including any SVOD subscriptions. You can also access all of your On Demand content via the Xfinity Stream app and portal, which is available on Apple and Android devices, computers/laptops, Roku devices, Samsung Smart TVs and later this year on LG Smart TVs. 

I am a paying customer with Xfinity TV and Internet services (Double Play). I use use a Comcast cable card + TiVO combination.

Can someone please provide a clear answer to the following questions, thanks:

Question 1 (relates to my LAPTOP / ANDROID):

Please confirm whether it is free to access / use 'Xfinity Stream' web site (xfinity/com/stream) / Android 'Xfinity Stream' app to get Xfinity OnDemand on my laptop or Android device?

When I install / access Xfinity Stream on my laptop, I am getting a 'terms of service' consent form on my laptop and on my Roku. It mentions you are authorizing access to Cloud technology to access your "xfinity stream subscription" ("Terms of Activation - you agree that you want to enable cloud technology to access your Xfinity Stream subscription on additional supported devices like computers and tablets, as well as the TV connected to your set-top DVR via Comcast's network.")

Question 2. (regarding my ROKU):

I read that after the "Xfinity Stream beta trial" expires, there will (may?) be a fee for using Xfinity Stream app / service on Roku devices?

Is this true? (I only use OnDemand through it since OnDemand will no longer work through TiVO)

I hence, for now, declined the terms of service on the Roku Xfinity Stream app for now till I get confirmation on the following.

Is this true if all I want is OnDemand?

Can anyone please answer the above 2 questions, essentially?

1  - My understanding is that laptop access to Xfinity OnDemand via above URL and Android access via Xfinity Stream app to OnDemand are both free?

Just want to reconfirm.

2. Is Roku access to Xfinity Stream eventually going to be charged (e.g. charged an 'extra outlet fee') after the 'Xfinity Stream beta' goes away?

For now Roku Xfinity Stream beta to access Xfinity OnDemand is free thought, right?

Thanks in advance!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here