Mystickoracle's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, May 22nd, 2019 9:00 AM

Closed

On Demand no longer supported on TiVo (after 6/25/19)

Just recieved a letter from Comcast that at the end of June the OnDemand app will no longer be available to TiVo users.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I agree. Comcast makes it EXTREMELY difficult to use equipment from 3rd parties.

I have two TiVo devices and getting the Cable Cards to work was a HUGE nightmare. It was clear to me that this was just punishment for opting out of the Xfinity DVR.

I also use Comcast as my internet service provider, but I provide my own Cable Modem instead of using theirs. I've had a few occasions where Comcast changes something on their end that causes my internet service to go off-line. Every time this happens, I call tech support and they say it's because my modem is "out of date". However, when I don't accept this nonsense and push harder, they always discover that it's really their problem and are able to fix it. Of course, this wastes a TON of my time!

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I agree. I've asked the same question to TiVo and haven't received an adequate response.

It should be easy for them to provide an app that allows a user to log on to Xfinity On Demand over the internet just like Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.

I've spent a lot of money and TIME working with TiVo and Comcast to get my TiVo box to work properly, and this is a HUGE blow. We shouldn't have to choose between a poorer quality DVR with full services and a better user experience on TiVo with diminished services. Very sad!

Contributor

• 

49 Messages

5 years ago

What kind of technology company removes a service without something to replace it?  One that hates its customers.  Greedy Comcast wants you to use their X1 boxes for this service.  If they really thought the stream app was a good solution, they would make it available to something besides the Roku.  I'm sure they will start charging for that soon anyway.  It has said "Beta" for like three years now.  What a joke Comcast, you really do hate your existing customers.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

why don't they just buy Tivo?

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

doubtful

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

This is unfortunate. We watch a lot of on demand content.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

The rumor is because they are fighting court battles against each other over patents, therefore will not work together to either fix the existing tech or provide a new one. So the consumer wins !

Frequent Visitor

• 

15 Messages

5 years ago

I got emails and a letter from Comcast informing me of this. This is typical Comcast. From what I have read elsewhere this is related to Tivo's lawsuits against Comcast, and probably has nothing to do with hardware or software not being able to be upgraded. I am not going to give up my Tivo, and I am not going to hook up a Comcast box along with my Tivo. I will just stop buying on-demand movies from Comcast. All the movies are available on Amazon Prime, which will continue to work with my Tivo, and so Amazon will get my money. Your loss, Comcast.

Contributor

• 

49 Messages

5 years ago

I'm guessing your question was more rhetorical in nature since we know Comcast so well, but for the record I did ask this exact thing and their position was they were offering it for "free" anyway, so no.  As if anything with them is "free".  They are living down to our expectations.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Since Comcast will start failing to provide services it agreed to when I started my yealy contract am I now free to switch to another provider with no penalty? I mean if you fail to live up to your end shouldn't I be given the option to opt out of my end?

Contributor

• 

98 Messages

5 years ago

Well there is no time like the present to cut the cord, or at least skinny the cord.

So much for this last cash grab by Comcast, I will be reducing my bill even further thanks to this move.

Comcast seems to be trying very hard to make themselves irrelevent in todays streaming world.

Contributor

• 

43 Messages

5 years ago

Hello! Could someone please clarify the following from the FAQs posted by @ComcastTeds

"Are there other ways I can watch On Demand content?
Yes. If you have an Xfinity TV Box, you can still access your On Demand content, including any SVOD subscriptions. You can also access all of your On Demand content via the Xfinity Stream app and portal, which is available on Apple and Android devices, computers/laptops, Roku devices, Samsung Smart TVs and later this year on LG Smart TVs."

The above gives the impression that On Demand can be accessed through a Samsung Smart TV. However, the information under Xfinity support (link) says "Customers must subscribe to Xfinity TV and Xfinity Internet." Which is it? Would I need to switch my ISP to Xfinity in order to continue receiving On Demand on my TV? That isn't an option.

Yes, I know I can watch via the Stream app on my phone or laptop, but that's not how I primarily watch TV shows.

Also, as an earlier poster mentioned, will Comcast now allow us to access HBO Go and Starz through TiVo? When questioned about the inability to do so now, the response from Comcast representatives was that those channels could be accessed via On Demand.

Subscribers are losing a key component of their subscription without any reduction to the monthly service cost, while at the same time they may need to purchase additional services. 

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

This is very bad news! I have been a Comcast and TIVO Customer for over 12 years and never have a problem now looks like Comcast is trying to be the heavy and not supporting the on-demand app for TiVo I wish they could come to terms because Comcast is getting too big and not giving us any alternatives other than buying their own equipment

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

@ComcastTeds wrote:

Are there other ways I can watch On Demand content?
Yes. If you have an Xfinity TV Box, you can still access your On Demand content, including any SVOD subscriptions. You can also access all of your On Demand content via the Xfinity Stream app and portal, which is available on Apple and Android devices, computers/laptops, Roku devices, Samsung Smart TVs and later this year on LG Smart TVs. 

How about allowing access to Airplay on iPads so that I can watch content from the Xfinity Stream app using my AppleTV? If I already own an AppleTV why would I want to get yet another device to watch the service that I pay for.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Computowne wrote:
Will allow us to use HBO go now?

Will any other parts of my TiVo experience be affected by this change?
No, no other part of your TiVo experience with Xfinity will be affected. You can still watch and record live TV, and your recordings won’t be deleted.

Unfortunately, this does not answer the question. 

The question is whether Comcast will now allow access to the HBOGo App on TiVo. Currently, the TiVo app is not supported by Comcast and HBOGo cannot be activated using an Xfinity account.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here