U

4 Messages

Saturday, February 10th, 2024 1:30 AM

Xumo stream box issues

It seems the Flex box, now replaced by the XUMO Steam box, are prone to a multitude of issues.

I was using a Roku until June 2023 when Hulu stopped being supported on that model, so I thought I would switch to the Flex box since it's free and gives Peacock as a free benefit. All was well with the box until early December, when it started having issues with the Dolby digital stream via the HDMI; it would not send the signal, requiring multiple reboots to get it to comply, and often with a ten minute delay, in which the signal would go in and out for several minutes, often with jarring loud noises sent to the speakers. Tech support said go get a new box, which we did the other day, now the XUMO STREAM box. It worked well for ONE DAY, and now does exactly the same thing, IN ADDITION TO OFTEN FREEZING UP WHILE IN ACTIVE USE (the remote stops responding, so to end a show I must unplug power to the unit).  Is there anything to be done other than getting ANOTHER box? Is there some reason Comcast/Xfinity struggles so much with having quality hardware?

2 Messages

4 months ago

After one day, I'm literally about to toss the remote and box at the wall from frustration!! Remote doesn't work and in the middle of my kid's YouTube show, some murder crime episode of Dateline NBC starts playing and I have NO idea why! Haven't watched it, no idea what app to even close since I don't know which app is playing it, and it just switches back and forth from 5 little ducks to a bloody crime scene!! And no matter what I press, it's as if I'm using YouTube, but the whole time, Dateline NBC is playing on the screen! I absolutely hate Xfinity! 

1 Message

We're having the same issues over here! It's always dateline from the Xfinity Stream app! It just randomly starts playing in the middle of whatever we're watching.

Official Employee

• 

664 Messages

@user_mlpvhz, thank you for bringing this to our attention. I would love to dive deeper into what is going on and get this reported so our development team can get a fix implemented. Please, send us a DM with your name and address, so we can get started.

To send a direct message:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

Click the "Direct Message" icon in the upper right corner or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.

- As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.

- An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

@earnold27 Thank you for reaching out via our Xfinity Community Forums. I am not familiar with this issue but would be happy to troubleshoot it with you. When is the last time you logged out of the Xfinity Stream app on your Streaming device? Logging out and back in will help refresh your connection and options. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Employee

• 

640 Messages

@user_mlpvhz That is good to hear that this has been resolved. Let us know if you should need any further assistance. 

1 Message

@earnold27​ I'm having the same issue I'm watching a you tube video and than Datelins comes on

Official Employee

• 

535 Messages

4 months ago

@user_cq5fqo Hello, I am happy to be of assistance. Can you please send us a DM. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums' page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions. 

1 Message

4 months ago

This is happening to us, too! What is the solution? We've tried restarting everything multiple times--even disconnecting and reconnecting cables, etc. How do we fix this??

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Thank you for reaching out to us @user_3uujsi! Are you experiencing any error codes or messages when this occurs?

1 Message

I’m experiencing this too and have been on multiple chats and calls with Xfinity tech support. Whatever they say they are resetting on their end isn’t doing a darn thing. We’ve unplugged and reset both our boxes multiple times. Thinking of switching to AT&T!

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Hey there, @user_8bkqw4 thanks for reaching out through Xfinity Forums. We definitely do not want to lose you as a customer. Are you getting any error messages? Have you tried any other troubleshooting besides those restarts? 

1 Message

My xumo  box randomly switches to Accuweather when I try to watch other apps 

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Thank you for reaching out to us @user_vny7ns! For troubleshooting purposes please press the settings icon on the remote or say settings using the voice button.

Select viewing preferences

Then select refresh apps in the resets and updates section.

This will make sure all apps on the box are up to date. After updating the apps, please let us know if this issue still happens.

3 Messages

4 months ago

2 days of non stop Dateline audio. Please help!

2 Messages

4 months ago

I am having the same issue. Everything was great until they gave me this Xumo box. The game show keeps interrupting my show. I’ve called and can’t get a person or the proper questions to respond to. 

Official Employee

• 

721 Messages

Hello, @user_eacfdy thank you for taking time out of your day reply to this post, I definitely understand looking for a resolution with the Xumo box issues you're describing. I've worked with customers who were experiencing similar issues you described, as well as the Xumo box resetting. 

A great tip a Xfinity Forums community member provided for a work around that seems to fix Xumo set-top box issues. Is to hold the home button on the remote, and then hit the button under the Xumo box. This looks to help. Please let me know if this was helpful. 

1 Message

@user_eacfdy​ I have same issues. Watching Gunsmoke and it changes to NBC News. I have unplugged itcand got firestick. Been with Comcast 13 years. I am going to another carrier. Was treated rude by customer service when I called to disconnect. I am retired in business that works with public. No way to treat a value customer. 

Official Employee

• 

664 Messages

@user_eacfdy We got an update pushed out that should have fixed this issue. Can you do us a huge favor and let us know if it has been resolved on your end?

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hi there @user_c860o1. I am sorry to hear that you are having troubles with our Xumo streaming box. You are in the right place and we would like to assist you today. When the show changes to NBC News, does it give you an error message? Is this happening on other channels? 

1 Message

@XfinityTony​ 

i am returning both my boxes for the same issues!! Keeps interrupting netflix and youtube tv with other shows. I have the fire-stick with zero issues! Keeping xfinity internet and nothing else 

3 Messages

4 months ago

The XUMO Steam Box is horrible.  I've gone into the store and have replaced it and the new one is even worse.  When I turn it on, it automatically has a murder show running.  When I select Discovery+ and try to watch a cooking show, it will take me back to the murder show.  I complained and they said that Discovery+ must not be formatted properly for the XUMO Box.  Well, last night, same thing however, we turned on music videos and for 5 minutes, the TV went back and forth between the two shows without us touching anything.   I finally gave up and just watched the murder show.  It's horrible.  

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

@user_niu68k Good afternoon, and thank you for reaching out to our Community Forums Team for assistance with your XUMO box. I can see you are running into some difficulties, and want to give you the support you need in getting your equipment and services working properly. To begin, can you please send a Direct Message with your name, and service address? 

Click the "Direct Messaging" icon at the top of the page (looks like a text bubble)
Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Why can't you guys just give us a straight forward fix.  This is affecting thousands of people, that are just dealing with it at the moment. This is freaking ridiculous that a billion dollars year company doesn't expedite this problem.   Wasnt happening until I got this stupid Xumo box.

5 Messages

4 months ago

Trying to watch YouTube and keeps switching to Dateline. About to cancel honestly this is trash

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 months ago

I have the same Dateline NBC interruption problem.  That is the default program for Xfinity Stream, and it somehow hijacks the apps.  Dateline is louder than the apps so it seems to overpower them.  Anyhow, this Xumo box is a total piece of garbage that should never have been released.  I tried a replacement Xumo box and have the same problem.  I don't want to cancel the Xfinity internet. Is there a different box I can use?  I have and older Apple TV stream box, and it does work but doesn't have all the apps.

3 Messages

I’m having the same issue even with a replacement box box.  They tried to tell me that Discovery+ wasn’t formatted properly for the box but it happens when I watch videos or any program. 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

I am giving up on Xumo and trying a Fire Stick

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Hey there, @user_e1759d thanks for reaching out through Xfinity Forums regarding your issues with the Xumo box. We would be happy to help you with troubleshooting the device. Are you only having issues with Dateline? Have you tried on other devices and are you having the same issue?

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Another stream box I have, Apple TV, doesn't have Xfinity Stream as the default app (which comes on as soon as you power up the Xumo).  Xfinity stream has Dateline NBC as the default program, which is what all these customers are complaining about.  So I assume that any stream box other than Xumo should work fine.  The Xumo box needs to be re-engineered by Xfinity ASAP and all customers should be sent it.

Official Employee

• 

585 Messages

@user_e1759d, those are definitely some concerns we would like to address with the equipment. Have you already attempted to troubleshoot using the Xfinity Support site?

3 Messages

4 months ago

I reached out to Xfininty and below are the instructions to try regarding the Dateline issue and trying to watch Discovery+.  I'll try tonight and then post an update.

To resolve the issue of automatically switching back to Dateline when trying to watch Discovery+, you can follow these steps:

1. Launch the Discovery+ app on your X1 TV Box or Xfinity Flex streaming device.
  2. Navigate to the Settings menu.
  3. Look for an option related to "Auto Switch" or "Default Content".
  4. Disable or turn off the auto-switch feature.
  5. Save the changes and exit the Settings menu.
  6. Now, when you try to watch Discovery+, it should no longer switch back to Dateline automatically.

The Xumo box have an "auto switch" option. However, there are several settings that can be adjusted within the X1 settings menu. These settings include preferences for the On-Screen Guide, device settings, parental controls, and access to help. Within the "General" preferences option, users can turn on or off features such as "Prefer Best Available Resolution," "Display Mini Guide Over Video," "Next Episode Suggestions," and "Autoplay Next Episode." Additionally, users can adjust settings for scrolling text, daily update time, Kids Zone, enhanced text readability, smart resume, display recordings on specific devices, and auto pad recordings.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

user_niu68k, Hi there. I just wanted to reach back out to you today to see if those steps helped provide a solution. 

4 Messages

4 months ago

Can someone from Xfinity comment on my original post? Trying to get "help" from either Xfinity Chat or Phone is terrible... They keep wanting to say the audio going in and out is because it isn't "registered" on my account, even though the "advanced engineer" told me of course it was and that wasn't the issue (plus it tells you in the activation screen that it's linked to your account), but they keep pushing that I have to pay an activation fee, even though NO, it is free to Xfinity Internet customers and of course the store says that and don't charge, but then the phone employees badmouth the store employees and say they are "just trying to make their metrics." ??? They won't admit the box is garbage, either the hardware and/or the software. The "advanced engineer" said they were boosting the audio stream and they would monitor it and text me if there was a problem?! Of course I didn't believe that and of course they didn't contact me when it stopped working 24 hours later. THE ONLY REASON I am keeping it (for now) is because Peacock Premium is free with it, but as soon as I find a good deal on a Roku or similar device, I'm ditching it, it is the most frustrating piece of technology I have ever used! Before it, the Flex box worked for 6 months. Before that, the Roku worked for 6 years, the only reason I ditched that is because they stopped supporting Hulu on that older Roku box.

Official Employee

• 

961 Messages

Hey @user_cq5fqo,

Thank you for letting us know of your experience on our Xfinity Community Forums support page. We did send a message, but never received a reply. It sounds like you are experiencing the same issue with multiple set-top boxes. Have you attempted to connect the Xumo Streaming box to another television to see if you experience the same issues?  

4 Messages

I never received any reply to my original message but that is fine.

I have not connected it to another TV, we really only use one main TV. The HDMI cable connects to a receiver (to decode the Dolby stream). The XUMO box seems to struggle with the audio stream over HDMI. There is generally a several-minutes-long delay in the stream to the receiver such that there is video generally with no issue, but the audio stream does not appear when starting a program. Generally it eventually comes through, but it can be anywhere from a few minutes to 20+ before it "stabilizes" and is clear/uninterrupted, and during this time while the signal is trying to stabilize, the audio will cut in and out, with pops, hisses, loud jarring feedback, etc. This happens regardless what audio stream is selected in the "Picture/Sound" settings, e.g. Auto, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital. It does tend to be SLIGHTLY more stable with plain Dolby Digital selected. 

The device software needs a major overhaul. It just does not perform consistently, and generally requires an unplugging/replugging the box a few times a week when it fails to perform. For example, last night it hissed and popped for roughly an hour before the audio stream was constant/stable. Tonight, when launching the YouTube app, it failed to properly initialize the app so the screen was blank. Pressing the Home button on the remote and trying to relaunch YouTube did nothing, so an unplugging/replugging was necessary to get it to work. I've also done the "refresh apps" out of the settings and that does nothing. I've also heard that perhaps the device's instability is triggered by it going to sleep... You should be aware that selecting it options in settings to keep it from going to sleep DOES NOTHING, it still goes to sleep when it wants to. As others have said, this product never should have launched -- it was clearly not ready for realtime use.

Official Employee

• 

961 Messages

Hey @user_cq5fqo,

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. This seems to be a one-off issue as there hasn't really been other reports of issues. We do recommend connecting directly to the television to test the quality of service and perhaps your television has ARC to avoid HDMI Pass-through. It is also recommended to try no another television as you are encountering the same issue with multiple set-top boxes with the comment denominator possibly being your equipment. Please give this a try and let us know if you see any changes. 

4 Messages

Well that is not my setup, I have a receiver for surround sound, it's definitely the Xumo box audio stream and not my equipment. The receiver has ARC. HDMI pass through is not enabled.

Never had any issues like this with other equipment -- Roku box worked for 5 years but went with Flex box after that Roku model stopped supporting Hulu. The Flex box worked fine for about 7 months, so switched to the Xumo box, which has been terrible. Why can't anyone at Xfinity ever take went responsibility for a poor product and make a commitment to update the software??

Official Employee

• 

961 Messages

@user_cq5fqo, If the equipment is not the best fit for you, you can most certainly return the device to a local Xfinity Store or UPS Store (Package and Shipping at no charge). We do not have any other related issues pertaining to the Xumo Streaming Box. The Xumo Streaming Box is not a requirement for receiving any Peacock subscription as it is tied to your overall Xfinity account and email associated with the Peacock streaming service.  If you need information on how to return the device, you can visit our How to return your Xfinity equipment support page and also look into swapping the device again if you think it will help. 

1 Message

3 months ago

Been having this identical issue since signing on with xfinity. have tried every reset / restart imaginable. only happens on 1 out of 3 boxes (currently).

I would invite any @xfinity team member to provide streamlined box-replacement for the hundreds or more customers suffering with this awful system performance.

Warning: dont tell me to reset / restart.

Sincerely.

Official Employee

• 

697 Messages

user_nyq08h Sorry to hear that the steps you've taken are not helping on one of your boxes. Have you tried swapping the box with another in your home to see if there could be an issue with the connections by chance? If so, we may need to get another box sent out or swapped at a local Xfinity Store.

3 Messages

3 months ago

On my second new Xumo box in two weeks, keeps cutting to Dateline.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

Hi there @user_rib4xa!  Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to Xfinity Support here on our Community Forum to voice your service concerns.  We are so glad to hear from you and want to help in any way that we can to ensure you are having a top tier experience with your service.  No worries!  You have reached out to a team of experts dedicated to the resolution of any issue you are having.  We would like to take a closer look at what is happening on your end.  Please feel free to shoot us a private message detailing this issue, and we can get to work on this for you right away. 😉

To send a "direct message" / "private message" message to Xfinity Support:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message" icon or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging 

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

•  - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

•  - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 months ago

I am having the similar issues! Dateline cut's into my program every morning when I first turn everything on. I'll hit the Hulu app which starts and less than i minute later nightline cut's into my program. I've found that if I shut everything off and turn it back on it will sometimes fix it, but not always. I've complained about this at the Xfinity and store and I was told, back before the new year, it was a Hulu issue, which I never believed! Now after reading some of these other threads I'm certain it isn't the Hulu app. When I had the original Xfinity flex box I never had this issue! I've switched boxes twice with the suggestion from the Xfinity store employee. Couldn't even get those to go through the setup process and had go back to the one that was somewhat working! Xfinity should be ashamed of itself for putting it's customers through this bull. The Xumo stream box was never ready Prime Time and it seems like they just pushed it out to customers to be the guinea pigs. I have spent hours of my time trying to figure this out! Seems like things are actually getting worse. I have the Vudo app that was working until recently. I get into the app and when I try to play movies that I've purchased, all I get is a white screen! If I run the app through my Blu Ray player, it works fine, so I know it's not my TV! I woke up today thinking about getting rid of my service!       

This comment has been converted into a post

1 Message

3 months ago

Brutally bad software -- From the Xumo home screen, open the "Xfinity Stream App" (which can't be deleted, of course) then navigate to Settings>Playback Preferences and TURN EVERYTHING OFF. Somehow one of those autoplay/smart resume functions are being triggered through other streaming apps, opening this Xfinity Stream App in the background and auto-playing over what the user actually wants to playback, it seems.

(edited)

5 Messages

@user_grayson​ I love you

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

user_grayson, Hey there! I just wanted to check back in with you today to see if you are still experiencing issues with this. 

1 Message

3 months ago

I had the Xfinity FLEX box, that started to have problems . But Nothing Like Xfinit's XUMO box that is ALL JUNK !!!

I am having a PROBLEMS with Xfinity XUMO box when I try to watch a movie on Peacock maybe 10-15 SECONDS, then it goes to NBC news . I had Xfinity bring me OUT another XUMO box, with the remote delivered Today Sun/17/2024 . I connected it to the Living room TV . Then I get the same PROBLEM with the NEW ONE, when I am watching something and it's getting GOOD, AND THAT NBC News JUNK PoPs Up on the TV SCREEN !!!  STOP IT, PLEASE Xfinity for US ALL .

I am going BACK to MY Amazon FIRE STICK (That has NEVER FAILED Me), that I used when I was waiting on the New XUMO Box/Remote to be delivered .  

I have Smart TV'S in the Master bedroom, Workout room .

I have 3 FIRE STICKS that I use in My home now,

A Fire Stick in 2 Guest Bedroom TV'S, and 1 for a SPARE to use when needed . AND I NEED IT NOW, That I will use the SPARE FIRE STICK for the Living room TV till this PROBLEM is Fixed .

I say if you have a FIRE STICK/STREAMING Device Use It, so you can ENJOY your STREAMING . Till this XUMO box of JUNK for STREAMING from Xfinity is FIXED . Remember to SMILE, Hugs and Love . 

Official Employee

• 

906 Messages

@JosephCub Hi there! Thanks for sharing with our community the trouble you are having with the xumo devices. I'm sorry that we have not figured out the issue and solution for you yet. I know it can be frustrating when you simply want to watch a program and have an interruption. I would like to help out and make sure we find the solution to the issue with the programing switching over like that. I have roku's and firesticks that I use for streaming in my home, and they are wonderful.  I'm happy that you have them available for a back-up. If we can work together to resolve this please send us a direct message with your name and service address. 
To send a direct message, please click on the chat icon in the top-right corner of the screen, and select "Xfinity Support" to initiate a live chat. 
Click the "direct messaging" icon or https://comca.st/3J0ir1l
Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
Press Enter to send it

Official Employee

• 

721 Messages

@JosephCub​ I wanted to follow up as we received information that an update was pushed through recently that should correct the Xumo issues. There is no need to reset the equipment, but wanted to check to see if you're still experiencing issues with the Xumo box. 

- If so please follow up here, I look forward to hearing back from you. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here