L

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, April 5th, 2022 11:47 PM

Closed

Scam?

I just received a call from an "Unknown Caller" claiming to be from Comcast/Xfinity. They asked for my name and I never confirmed it was me. He then states that they discovered that someone has been tampering with my firewall and asked if someone has been trying it. I then asked him what account they were referring to (I have 3 Comcast/Xfinity accounts) and he hung up. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

2 years ago

All,

Comcast will typically not reach out to offer you new deals on your account, help with firewall issues, ask you for your personal information, or request payments above your monthly service charge if you did not initiate that conversation. We will only ever contact you via phone if you had already previously reached out to us requesting a call back. If you or anyone you know is receiving scam calls from people pretending to be from Comcast, we recommend you report it to the FTC. You will need the name and number of the caller and date and time of the call.

• Visit ftc.gov or call 1-877-FTC-HELP.
  • The complaint that you report will be submitted into the Consumer Sentinel Network, which is a database that is used by law enforcement agencies across the world. It helps them to track down the culprits and eventually stop the fraud.

You may also file a complaint with the FCC at fcc.gov/complaints.

Additional information about protecting yourself from scam calls can be found here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/protect-yourself-phone-scams

(edited)

Expert

• 

104.8K Messages

2 years ago

Concern moved here to the Customer Service help section for greater exposure to actual Comcast corporate employees (The Digital Care Team) for assistance.

New Problem Solver

• 

318 Messages

2 years ago

Hello @lionheart82, thank you for taking the time to reach out to us on the forums. I can understand the concern when you receive a call such as this and want to know if it was a scam or not.

From the sounds of it, I am almost 100% it was a scam call, especially when it was listed as an unknown caller. We usually come up as Comcast/Xfinity or as a 1-800 number when we call you. There are quite a few phishing scams going around that try to use our name to get information. Hopefully, you didn't give them any information they could possibly use.

I would be more than happy to look over your account and see if the call did actually come from us. Can you send us a direct message with your first and last name and address to get started?

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@XfinitySean​ Please see my new post. I just received another call

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Ok, I just received another call from 1-866-429-0152 and caller ID has "Comcast Business". They asked for my name and I said what is this regarding. They said they received notification that my firewall has been deactivated and asked if someone has been tampering with my firewall. I said I don't what you're talking about, there was a brief pause and he hung up. Is this legit?

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@lionheart82 These are definitely scam calls. Here is our page on how to protect yourself and a page on call blocking. 

https://comca.st/3JerFqr  - protect yourself

https://comca.st/3ufEo8j

This reply has been converted into a comment

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I just got a call from a number that my phone ID'd as Xfinity, claiming that my xfinity firewall had been deactivated. 
I thanked them for the information and asked if they needed anything else. guy said no and hung up.

I checked my account after he hung up but found no reference to firewall settings in my modem configurations from my account page. 

Sounded like he was calling from some crowded call center. 
Given the rudeness of the caller and the claim of a security breach (even though I have MFA enabled) I suspect this was a scam call. 
Phone # was [Edited: "Personal Information"]. 

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

577 Messages

@Sulj Hello and thank you for reaching out over our Xfinity Community Forum. I am so sorry to hear about this negative experience you had with this phone agent, and I would be more than happy to assist you in looking into this further, as well as in making sure your account and modem are secure. Whatever we can do to help a valued member of our Xfinity family! To get started, could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Exact same thin just happened to me from same number and shows as xfinity.  I was pretty sure it was a scam and the caller hung up.

Problem Solver

• 

892 Messages

Hi all! Thank you so much for letting us know of these calls. They definitely sound like Robocalls/Scam calls. Please do not ever give personal information over the phone. When you speak to an actual call center agent, they will never ask you for information like date of birth, social security number, bank information to verify your account. 

If you ever feel as if a call is a scam pretending to be Comcast. Hang up and call us to see if someone was trying to contact you from our company. Thank you!

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I just received a call very similar to this from +1 [Edited: "Personal Information"]. They said they noticed someone trying to get through my firewall, and asked if I was noticing a sluggish connection. I said no and they hung up. No personal information given, obviously.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I just received a similar call.  The phone# was [Edited: "Personal Information"] and showed as Xfinity on caller ID.  He knew my name and although I didn't confirm it he said basically the same thing as above, about the security being turned off on my modem and asked if I could get to a computer connected to the wifi.  I asked him what he wanted and he hung up.

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

577 Messages

@user_7ab7ae Thank you for reaching out with those details of the suspicious call you received. We would be more than happy to take a look at your account to see if you received any calls from us, or if this was a possible scam call. We received your private message as well, and look forward to assisting you further privately in looking into this further.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

2 years ago

@lionheart82 These are definitely scam calls. Here is our page on how to protect yourself and a page on call blocking. 

https://comca.st/3JerFqr  - protect yourself

https://comca.st/3ufEo8j

This comment was created from this reply

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

If you ever feel as if a call is a scam pretending to be Comcast. Hang up and call us to see if someone was trying to contact you from our company.

Uh... When I call the 800-741-4141 number I received a call from @ 6::56 PM EST 5/20/22, I can find no way to speak to a real person to see if Comcast was actually trying to get in touch with me. I don't know if it was a spoofed/scam number or not.

Expert

• 

30.6K Messages

@user_8654c6​ That number is for Business services.  Are you a business customer?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I just got the "Firewall" call from [Edited: "Personal Information"]

Told them I wasn't home and they wanted to set a callback appointment so I agreed to Monday when I will ignore their call if they actually do.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

2.4K Messages

Hello @user_bb1206! I can definitely understand the concern if you are receiving a call that may be a scam. There are ways to protect yourself from scam callers if you review the following articles:

Common Phone Scams and How to Protect Yourself

Call Types That can be Blocked with Xfinity Voice

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I just received a phone call from "Comcast-internal" [Edited: "Personal Information"].  Telling me that someone has been tampering with my firewall.  He wants to verify the items on my network - I advise him that I was a work and was unable to this from work, he asked when I would be home and he could call me back.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

That would concern me as well! The best course of action, in this case, would actually be to report this to our Customer Security Assurance. You can contact CSA by calling CSA Toll-Free Number: 1-888-565-4329. 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

I also received this ‘ firewall ‘ call today.  He knew my name and address and tried to get me to change my password via my computer.    The website he had me look up was 10.0.0.1.  When I clicked on that an Xfinity Gateway Login page comes up.  When I said it wasn’t secure , he told that’s because my firewall was down.   I typed  ‘admin’ in the user name and ‘password’ in the password line.   The next page was for me to change my password.   At that point, I said I would do the rest on my own and hung up.   I logged out of that page and went to my real Xfinity page, where there were no problems.   He called back 3 more times but I didn’t answer.   I was pretty suspicious the whole time but the caller ID said Xfinity and he knew my personal information.  

Official Employee

• 

800 Messages

There are a number of scams out there, so I'm really glad you erred on the side of caution @user_a9ab2c

There's a lot of information in this thread but if it's really Xfinity and there's a legitimate issue, there will be notes or tickets in your account related to it, and there will be an autostamp of whomever has accessed the account. We value your security! If ever you are suspicious or unsure the best option is to hang up without giving any personal information, and reach out to us, so you know that you are using verified Xfinity contacts. 

We appreciate all of you in this thread for being vigilant and staying safe! 

Here are contact options for Xfinity residential services
And here are the ones for Comcast Business

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

[Edited: "Personal Information"]

This number keeps calling me saying he's from Xfinity and someone is hacking our account and I need to go to my computer ASAP to change firewall settings. I hung up on him 

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

This "firewall" scam is still going on.  I received the call yesterday.  They wanted me to log on to my Xfinity Gateway to make changes because my firewall had changes made to it, and he was going to help me fix it.  He even had a name of a person who was tied to the changes.  What was disturbing was that the call showed it was from Xfinity, and he had my full name, last 4 #s of my Xfinity account, my service address, and the exact dollar amount of my upcoming bill with Xfinity.  And the phone # that supposedly the call originated from was 800-741-4141, which an earlier thread said this is an Xfinity phone #.  I called Xfinity and they have no record on anyone calling me.  I don't know what to think.  Very disturbing.

Expert

• 

30.6K Messages

@forumsignup2022​ 

FWIW, that is a Comcast Business number.  Are you, by chance, a business customer?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

No, I am not, at least not with the personal info they provided about me.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Comcast Call Center Scam Alert from

[Edited: "Personal Information"]

They claimed they can reduce my bill in half & that Target is sponsoring this deal, would just need to pay $1200 in advance.  

The # above is still active. Please request they stop alleging to be Comcast.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hey @user_caf47f! Thanks for reaching out and letting us know. That definitely wasn't us. The Caller ID should have read "Comcast" or "Xfinity". If you haven't already you can registor your phone number with the National Do Not Call list. That'll stop potential scammers and spam calls. You can to that here https://www.donotcall.gov/

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I just got a call from [Edited: Personal Information"] from a guy claiming to be from Xfinity saying my Firewall security had been breached and asked me questions about my router and devices on my network.  He said his name was Steven [Edited: "Personal Information"] even though he sounded like he was from India.  He had me go to this site bit.ly/comcastsupport and install AnyDesk.exe which I did not do as it looked pretty dangerous.  The guy was very believable but installing this .exe was a giant red flag.  When I asked if I could call him back his mood changed and then he told me I would be losing my wifi.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I just received multiple phone calls from a variety of "local" numbers claiming to be Comcast and informing me that there was a issue on Comcast's side that was causing my modem or computer to no longer receive updates.  He insisted that I check my modem for "blinking" white or yellow lights and that he would send an update to my computer and wanted me to verify that the update was on my home screen.  He then asked for me to read him the 4-digit code!  My phone did highlight each of these calls as spam risk.  I could hear call center noise in the background and he used at least 4 different numbers to call me.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I received a call today from a recorded message saying "This is Comcast Xfinity and you are qualified to receive 50% off your bill and to call [Edited: "Personal Information"] to speak to a representative for more details". When they called my phone the caller ID was from someone named William [Edited: "Personal Information"] and phone number on caller ID was [Edited: "Personal Information"]. 

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here