U

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 12th, 2022 11:22 PM

Closed

Did I Get A Scam/Spam Xfinity Sales Call?

This afternoon (08/12/22) I received a pre-recorded voicemail supposedly from Comcast Xifinity. The number that called me was [Edited: "Personal Information"] in Rochester, NY. 

The full message was:

”Hi there I'm calling you from Comcast Xfinity to let you know that your existing account is qualified for 50% off in order to avail the discount kindly call us back at [Edited: "Personal Information"] from 8 AM to 5 PM Pacific standard time thank you and have a great day.”

Is this message ligitimate? If not, who do I report it to? And how do I report it? 

Thank you!

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I just got the same message, 50% discount call back ect, I didn't call them back. After hear all the others that have got the same call, I'm going to call them, I'm going to screw w them so hard, they are going to wish they never called me! Can't stand the scammers, especially when it comes to older people, or people that don't understand the concept of scammers, they will say anything. Now they have gone after xfinity, use to be IRS ect, oh how I'm going to enjoy this tom! lol

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@richard_v1 ​ Please do! [Edited: "Inflammatory/Language"]

(edited)

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

So I'm starting to think it might be an inside job. I fell for this scam because the scammers had my account number and actually "paid off" the balance while I was on the phone with them (I watched it happen in my account). Of course, a few days later there was "a problem with my payment", but it was too late for me at that point. That, and they called me literally a few days after I had called Xfinity asking to lower my bills! No one will help, financially, and I get that. But come on Xfinity, you need to investigate. This is so suspicious that I wouldn't doubt if there's some inside help on this scam.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I received this same call today. Please advise.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

I of course got the same scam. If it is not in my contacts it goes to Voice Mail directly and then indicates I have a message. That eliminates most scam calls. This actually left a message. It left a 888 # but originated in NC (704) Actually older people are scammed least. Millennials are scammed most They tend to feel at ease with technology while seniors trust no one. My reasoning is "Why would any business want to cut my payment whether it was Comcast or not?" I am 72 fairly at ease with the computer and hate any phone I can lose. I like them attached to the wall where I last used it. I would never do business on a cell phone and certainly never buy any gift card. I like to pay cash and watch the cashier need to do math in their head.  However, I do own two trucks and need to do logistics online. I need to be wary of things that tend to "too good" with fuel being $1000 a fill up and no cheap repairs on trucks ( I just paid over $ 3000 for a water pump replacement.) It is competitive and fees need to be reasonable I sure like a bargain but not many out there. Comcast is after all a business as well. They provide a service and have expenses and competition to consider. So it isn't really looking out to cut bargains without locking up a better deal for themselves. It is just the nature of business.  Age and experience taught us to ask why. Unfortunately, some seniors as well  as younger pups do fall prey to people hiding in shadows. Companies as well as governments that look the other way need to do better.  It also falls to us to do our part to not make it so easy and profitable. Not much Comcast can do about someone in a 3rd world country using their name unless they are held accountable. Once they are, do more than a simple fine and hardy No-No. Lots to be said for times when criminals were locked away for a bit, kids were spanked and made to sit in a corner and made to think about what they done. But the root cause is Nothing is long distance. They can hide behind spoofed numbers someplace and spray and pray all they want realizing no one can or more will stop them. It is up to us to be smarter.  

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I just got the same message - and was wondering the same thing. 

Anyone know if this is a complete phishing deal?

Problem Solver

• 

352 Messages

It is absolutely a spam call. As a company, we do not call our customers regarding promotional rates and plans. These companies who are calling our customers are phishing for personal information. We do not offer any gift cards from Target or Amazon as some of these calls are mentioning. Also, we've seen where the calls are asking for prepayment and over 3 year contracts. Please be cognizant of what information is being provided. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 years ago

... Anyone know if this is a complete phishing deal?

It s almost certainly a scam. See any of the many posts at https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/search?page=1&sortKey=RECENT&q=scam.

The scammers will have your account number, bill amount due, and other info. The calls sound like Comcast calls. The scammers will appear to "pay" your current balance, although Comcast will finally realize that the "payment" is bogus and reverse it in a day or two. This scam is a very nasty one.

[Edited: "Inflammatory"]

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Same call today in Indiana. Found this forum while checking to see if it was a scam. No idea how they got my information or phone number.

Problem Solver

• 

1.4K Messages

@KaiMabrey Thank you for letting us know this happened to you as well, as mentioned it definitley sounds like a scam. This article has information on how you can report the call. Please let me know if there is anything further we can assist with. 

Problem Solver

• 

1.4K Messages

Thanks for reaching out. This is definitley a scam. We don't have a promotion that would reduce your bill by 50%. There are many ways that scammers can get your information, you can report this issue and file a complaint the following ways: 

To report violations of the National Do Not Call Registry, visit DoNotCall.gov or call 1-888-382-1222. (If your name is on the Do Not Call Registry, you should only receive calls from companies that you do business with or companies that you gave permission to call. If you receive a call from another company, report it. You will need the name and number of the caller and date and time of the call.)

• Visit ftc.gov or call 1-877-FTC-HELP.
  • The complaint that you report will be submitted into the Consumer Sentinel Network, which is a database that is used by law enforcement agencies across the world. It helps them to track down the culprits and eventually stop the fraud.

You may also file a complaint with the FCC at fcc.gov/complaints.

I would be happy to do an account review on my end and see if there are any promotions that would reduce your monthly cost. Can you send me your last name along with your service address for verification purposes?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I  received the same call today at 12:15PM from [Edited: "Personal Information"].  The call back number was [Edited: "Personal Information"].  Now I am contacting the Xfinity Customer Security Assurance Department (1-888-565-4329) to report this scam. The offer was for a 50% discount for a 2 year period.  The offer seemed to be legitimate until the caller said that I needed to pay the first 6 months up front, today, with a Target credit card or a Target gift card.  If I paid the $660.00 today, I would receive a $80.00 rebate in the form of a gift card through US mail. Then he gave me a direct number for the billing department to expedite my call ([Edited: "Personal Information"]). The caller also said that my current outstanding bill of $221.96 will be paid as a courtesy.  A text message was sent to my cell to verify that the $221.96 payment was made. This text message came from a number that Xfinity has used in the past to contact me about legitimate issues.  

Thanks for making your $221.96 payment to Xfinity! Your confirmation number is [Edited: "Personal Information"].
To review your bill and payment details, sign up for automatic payments or paperless billing, you can go here: https://t.xfin.me/F9CD4B4
 TxtHelpOrStop
Msg&DataRatesMayApply

I've reported the scam to Xfinity and received an escalation number of [Edited: "Personal Information"]

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

The original voice message read:

"Hi there I'm calling you from Comcast Xfinity to let you know that your existing account is qualified for 50% off in order to avail the discount kindly call us back at [Edited: "Personal Information"] form 8 AM to 5 PM Pacific standard time thank you and have a great day ..."

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

I got the exact same message (other than not knowing the actual phone number that was blanked out in your message). 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

I just received a phone call from "xfinity promotion department" offering $50 off my monthly xfinity bill.  He knew my monthly invoice amount, very surprised.  He needed me to pay my monthly invoice now by giving him my checking account debit card number in order to process the discount.  Credit card could not be used.  Said the promotion department would get the credit only if the debit card was used.  Yes, foreign accent and there was a lot of other people talking in the background.  Number showed up as [Edited: "Personal Information"].  I declined.  Fraud using your debit card is harder to get reversed.  

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

HI there!  Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to Xfinity Support here on our Community Forum.  We are happy to help out in any way that we can.  We do take these types of attempts to obtain our customers' information very seriously.  No worries!  You have reached out to the right team, and want to assist in any way that we can.  Can you tell me were the attempts liited to just phone calls or have there been attempts online as well?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Contacted me using my old land line phone number only.  NOT by email, NOT by cell phone.  He knew the exact dollar amount of my monthly Xfinity invoice. So he had my xfinity invoice amount and my home phone number.

I received a second call from him again today trying to "lower my xfinity monthly amount".  He offers me a permanent $50 reduction for every month because I am over 65, so he knows my age also - again this was a call on my land line phone number.  I do not have xfinity for my cell phone. 

Official Employee

• 

443 Messages

I would recommend reaching out to our Security team, you can reach them at https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse/    where there is further contact information and the option to report the issue. On the Alerts page:       https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/alerts  you can also view known Scams.   

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Just received the same call 10/13/2022.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

I just spoke with someone from an obvious call center about a promotion to reduce my bill by 50%  it would be for the next 3 years. No cancellation fees. They new the amount of my bill and also had my daughters name for her account. They told me I would need to pay 4 months up front, 600.00$, but then I wouldn’t receive a bill for the next 4 months. I advised that I couldn’t make this decision over the phone. They offered to call back tomorrow. It was very high pressure. Is this a legit offer or

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Scam call

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

... Is this a legit offer or

It's almost certainly a scam. See any of the many posts at https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/search?page=1&sortKey=RECENT&q=scam.

The scammers will have a great deal of info, and the calls sound like Comcast calls. The scammers will appear to "pay" your current balance, although Comcast will finally realize that the "payment" is bogus and reverse it in a day or two. This scam is a very nasty one.

A competent company would have prominent warnings posted about a scam that appears to use leaked customer data, but Comcast hasn't bothered to do that.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Valued Contributor

• 

406 Messages

Thank you for contacting us on the forums, @user_b9e7e8! This call is definitely a scam. We do not have any promotions that require such a massive payment up front, and then no bill for four months. You were correct in not doing anything! Personally, I would block that number and continue to deny them if they call from a different one. Is there anything else we can assist you with right now? 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

@XfinityTimothy wrote: ... Is there anything else we can assist you with right now? 

Yes! This scam presents customers with data that only Comcast should have. Many have been tricked and lost large sums of money.

Comcast should post prominent warnings about this scam on it's login pages and on https://xfinity.com. To fail to do so is irresponsible.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Thank you for the response. Disappointing that a scammer can have that much information 

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

I agree, it is scary how resourceful they can be. We have a very strict verification process on our end to help keep bad actors at bay. Please know we will never ask for your banking or credit card details, social security number or date of birth on social media or on our Xfinity Forums when in public or a direct message conversation. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I received a similar voicemail regarding a 50% discount today.  With inflation affecting my grocery bill and other areas of my budget, I was very interested.  I called the number provided and it sounded very much like Xfinity.  I was told I could cut my bill in half for 2 years if I prepaid for 10 months using a Target credit card or Target gift card.  While I was on the phone I expressed that I was concerned this was a scam.  The person I was speaking to said he would post a $56 credit to my Xfinity account while I was on the phone to prove that it wasn't a scam.  The credit did show up on my account so I'm wondering how he could show a credit on my Xfinity account if he was a scammer.  

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@user_253539​ I had the same issue. Over a month ago my scammer almost completely fooled me into giving them $630 in Target gift card funds by telling me upon verbal acceptance of the 50% off for prepaying six months I would also get a text message stating my bill for that month was paid in full in the amount of over $200. I did get that text message while on the phone with my scammer stating the exact amount he'd mentioned and it was a real text from Verizon. I rushed out to buy Target gift cards totaling $630 quickly for an extra $100 gift from Xfinity before realizing I'd been scammed and needing to spend $630 on myself at Target instead of calling back the # given. These scammers either work for Verizon or hacked into their system to see what's paying to accounts and when. Comcast didn't seem very concerned or even interested in that detail when I spoke with them confirming no the don't accept payment in the firm of Target gift cards. Duh. So obvious. But the guy knowing exact amount of my paid bill almost got me.  

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Mr too, 1 was [Edited: "Personal Information"] and the other was from [Edited: "Personal Information"], 50 per cent off

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Hello

ive read a few of these and I just received the call today about 50 percent off on my bill for two years and I would have to pay six months upfront. I called my local number to confirm they assured me it was a scam .

the 800 number identifies as Comcast .

This really needs to reported to the authorities.

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled 50 percent offer

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

Scammers can list any number or ID they wish. Just hang up.

Retired Expert

Gold Problem Solver

Expert

• 

30.9K Messages

Not Guidelines related; moved to Customer Service.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

Greetings, @user_70da6d! I hope your week has been treating you well. Thanks so much for taking a moment out of your busy day to leave a post on our community forum. I'm sorry to hear you received one of these fraudulent offer calls, but you have definitely come to the right place for assistance.

The best course of action you can take right now, in addition to what you've already done, is to report this to our Customer Security Assurance (CSA) Team online at https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse/. You can also call them at 1-800-934-6489 or 1-800-266-2278 and ask for the "CSA Team". They are available 7 days a week, between the hours of 8:00 AM and 12:00 AM, Eastern Standard Time.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

Yes it's a scam.

Only ever do business using the official Comcast phone number.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

We received the same call of the 50% off offer. After a lengthy discussion the person who left the contact number (that I did call) told me that I needed to buy a Target gift card in the amount of six months of half of our regular payment before the offer. In our case that is approximately $690. The person told me that our amount currently owed would be payed off in full while I was on the phone.

I checked using my online access to see the current outstanding balance and it did indeed show a zero balance. I was told to pay the $690 using a number provided by the person within 100 minutes to receive a $50.00 gift card as a bonus for paying within the 100 minute window.

I got off the phone thinking the whole was too good to be true. I checked the phone number the person sent to be used for payment. The number did not match any known Comcast numbers. The phone number I had called from the voicemail did not match any known Comcast numbers. I decided to wait a few days to see if the pending payment ostensibly made by the person went through. It has now been five days since Comcast told me in a legitimate Comcast billing phone number that our balance was zero.

We plan to wait and continue checking to see if the amount paid by a check ending in a number that is not matching any of our accounts stays put.

The big question now is this, can the money paid by check be somehow be rescinded? Is it still possible that the check was accepted by Comcast using electronic payment will bounce? It seems that current banking methods prevent bogus transfers instantly?

Feedback welcome.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@user_716d8a​ 

I reported this scam weeks ago also. I fell for it and lost money. Today I found out my account was past due a month and Xfinity has charged me a past due fee and a returned check fee. I actually have autopay set up. It turns out the scammers sent a bad check to Xfinity to pay my bill. When I talked to the scammer, and logged in to check my balance, it also showed $0. It turns out that Xfinity accepted the bad check which stoped my autopay that was due to happen a week later. When the bad check returned, Xfinity charged me a late fee plus a returned check fee. Only today I found out I had a past due amount because of the bad check. Xfinity did refund me $10 for the late fee. Not sure if they have still charged me a returned check fee. 
My autopay is still set up for the next payment to include the past due balance.

This tells me someone on the inside has customer account balance information, plus address and phone numbers.

Theres no other way they could get that information. Xfinity has still failed to email or contact customers about the scam, so it keeps happening.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@user_b5e6de. Sorry to hear about this situation. Address and phone numbers can be public information, but having your account number, social security, or other private information is another category. Have you spoken with our Customer Secuirty Assurance or looked at filling out our form here? https://www.xfinity.com/idtheftclaimform

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here