Vando22's profile

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

Monday, October 9th, 2023 11:00 PM

Closed

DATA USAGE PROBLEM

And it's a problem I don't need. 

For the second time in the last 3-4 months I've had a huge data spike almost twice my normal usage.  Even more suspicious is the fact that my past months have also doubled in their reported usage, after the fact.  If I had gone over the data cap in those months then I'd have been charged for it.  So what are you going to do fix my data usage number for this month because there is no way i used I've used 61 gb of data per day in the last eight days, and the proof that something is wrong on your end is evident in my past months also increasing after those bills were already sent and paid.  I don't want to deal with this headache for the rest of the month and I don't pay for it, it's overpriced as it is,  how are you going fix it?   

Oh, and I don't have wi-fi so... don't suggest it.

Accepted Solution

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

10 months ago

The data usage on my account appears to have returned to close to it's previous figures for the current month and previous months.  The set top box required a system refresh for the correct data to display, which had to be done via unplugging the cable box and the modem due to not being able to do so from the remote or the website apps.  

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

Mine has also returned to what I would expect it would be.

10 Messages

@Vando22​ Yep. My totals are back to normal as well.

(edited)

2 Messages

My usage numbers have returned to normal too.

7 Messages

@Vando22​ Mine usage numbers have returned to normal as well. That was interesting, happy Usage is back to where it was.

Official Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

Hi, @user_rcds01! We are glad to hear that the data totals have returned to normal now! While you are here we would be happy to review your plan and ensure you are in the best possible rates. If you feel like taking a look, please send us a direct message with your full name and complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the direct messaging icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send your message

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

10 months ago

Hey there @Vando22! Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out and for being an Xfinity customer. Do you happen to have the xFi app downloaded? If not I'd highly recommend it. There is a feature that will show you every device that's on your network how much data each devices is using. You can also kick devices off your network at a certain time or pause (which is disabling services for that device) certain devices you don't want to using your internet.

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

[Edited: "All Caps"].

I don't want the app, i don't have a mobile device because i don't want a mobile device, i want this problem fixed by someone paid by comcast to fix this problem. This problem didn't start occurring until XFinity started pushing the app.  I get more use out of a toilet brush than a mobile phone or device with apps. 

(edited)

9 Messages

@XfinityAntoine​ Hi,

I also noticed my data doubled. My issue was more or less resolved, but I have another question: why is it that those of us who own our own modem/router are not given the ability to track data use by device? I don't have an Xfi modern, so I can't get the same useful diagnostic information from Xfinity as those who do have Xfi. I am able to track the usage by device on the UI for my modem / router, but all that really did was set me up for a very long argument with somebody at the customer insurance team who wanted to tell me the problem was my modem and pressure me to an unlimited plan, without bothering to tell me that the data doubling a known issue at Xfinity. It's frustrating and a little suspicious. 

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

10 months ago

The issue is data usage. The only way to correct the issue is to find what device is causing the issue, then stop said device. For security purposes we're unable to see data uses from devices in your home. Which is why this feature on the xFi app exist. The most we can do is get you unlimited data for an extra $25 a month. That would stop any costs you may accrue for any possible overages, but unless you change your password, or locate the device eating all your data and remote it from your Wi Fi network this isn't going to stop. 

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

@XfinityAntoine​ That doesn't explain why past months usage went up after the bills were sent and paid.  I don't want to do this, put it back and leave my account alone, I opt out of whatever it is you think you're blessing me with.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

@XfinityAntoine

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/customer-service/data-usage-problem/65248627697e8c6b344613b3?commentId=65249189f8fcd3407e3c59d2 

There, you see, FIX IT.  I don't want whatever is attached to that algorithm, it is fraudulent, and it is theft.    

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

@Vando22 Do keep in mind all data usage delivered over your home Xfinity Internet service, both downloaded and uploaded, is counted towards the 1.2 Terabyte (TB) Internet Data Usage Plan, regardless of the source. For example, all internet-based video streaming and download services, including internet-delivered programming available through xfinity.com/stream and Xfinity apps, is included in the calculation of monthly usage. Xfinity TV and Xfinity Voice services that are not delivered over the internet and are not received by you using your Xfinity Internet service do not count. For examples of applications and services that may contribute, visit xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/data. Please keep in mind as of June 2023, Xfinity Internet customers' median monthly data usage was 393 GB. If you feel this needs to be investigated more please reach out to our Security team for further assistance at 1-888-565-4329, 8:00am - 12:00am EST, 7 days a week.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

@XfinityAntoine​ I don't need an app to tell me the devices connected to my computer, that can be found in the task manager.  There all my devices, MY ONE DEVICE that is too advanced for your app so... what, you think it's 12 different computers???  IS THAT THE PROBLEM!?  It's one computer operating as multiple computers.      

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.7K Messages

10 months ago

... my past months have also doubled in their reported usage ...

I'm seeing the same thing. They are multiplying the actual historical usage times two, and adding 5 GB:

Total Monthly Usage 2023
         Actual  Current
          Usage  Reading
May       40GB    85GB    (40*2 + 5 = 85)
June      15GB    35GB    (15*2 + 5 = 35)
July      14GB    33GB    (14*2 + 5 = 33)
August    19GB    43GB    (19*2 + 5 = 43)
September 20GB    45GB    (20*2 + 5 = 45)

The "Actual" column is the total for these months as previously reported by Comcast. The "Current" column is the total for these months reported by Comcast TODAY.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

10 months ago

I am on 1229GB monthly plan and the usage listed below makes no sense.

For example, May Usage of 2103 GB but Overage 0 ??

Data Usage by Month Data Chart

Month Total Monthly Usage Total Monthly Overage
May
05/01/2023 - 05/31/2023
2103 GB 0 GB
June
06/01/2023 - 06/30/2023
2184 GB 0 GB
July
07/01/2023 - 07/31/2023
1434 GB 0 GB
August
08/01/2023 - 08/31/2023
1696 GB 0 GB
September
09/01/2023 - 09/30/2023
2350 GB 0 GB

Problem Solver

• 

1.3K Messages

@user_e07ad5 Thanks for sharing. Just so we know what we're working with, do you have unlimited data or xFi complete? 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

@user_e07ad5​ That is the same issue I and others are having and what is more confounding is that the data changed overnight.  That is a problem because now the risk of exceeding the data cap is greatly heightened for the current month.  This is potentially a very big problem since it looks like someone might be stealing data and dumping it off on other accounts, that or an intentional 'glitch' Comcast refuses to admit or fix with the only solutions being 'get the app' or 'pay $25 for unlimited data.'  This is why we don't want the 'suggested upgrades.' 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@XfinityJodie

I am on 1229GB monthly plan

I do not have xFi complete.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

That is definitely odd, @user_e07ad5. Thanks for that information. Let's take a look at your account here. Could you please send our team a Direct Message with your name and service address? Our team can take a further look at this issue.

To send a Direct Message:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Messaging chat" icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list that appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Press Enter to send it

4 Messages

I just spent 60 minutes and 6 reps later explaining the same thing.

The customer service rep even validated my previous months totals were incorrect.  

When I asked her how come if I had actually used that ridiculous amount of data, why was my bill not higher?  Why wasn't I charged for all the overages.  She had no reply.

I even pointed out "the app" showed my data usage had increased over 25 GB in the 60 frustrating minutes.

I got screenshots of it all.

(edited)

2 Messages

10 months ago

Same thing is happening to me.

At the beginning of October I checked my data usage and for the previous three months, each month had around 1000gb data usage which is normal. However today when I checked my data usage, the data usage of the past three months have been revised to around 2000gb each. Also, the current data usage for this month so far is 690gb when I would usually only have around 250gb by now. To be clear, I've checked my data usage regularly for the past few months and it has never shown these past months as having 2000gb+ data usage or ever exceeding 1229gb of data until now.  Why is this happening?

Edit: I expanded the table usage data and it shows May and June as also having around 2000gb usage when I know I never exceeded over 1229gb of data during any month this year as this is something I always check.

(edited)

This comment has been converted into a post

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

@user_euun2w​ Everyone needs to let them hear it, and they need to give us all a free month for the month long headache it is causing and the inconvenience it is causing this month, and make sure this problem never happens again.

I don't need mobile devices, I don't need your app, and I don't need unlimited data.  

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

@Vando22 We can certainly take a look at this further. Please send a Direct Message with your full name and address so that we can take a look at your usage. Here are instructions on how to send us a DM in case you need them:

Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message" icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Press Enter to send your message

We look forward to hearing from you.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

10 months ago

Just got off the line with them, data on their end did not match the data that the Xfinity app is showing for monthly data usage. In fact it currently shows my data for the preceding two months to be twice the data the CSR was looking at. I have never gone over the cap or even been close. This is beyond ridiculous if I have to spend another call at the end of the month if I get falsely accused of exceeded the monthly cap. 

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

I just got off the phone with the Customer Security Assurance Team and they are supposed to call me.  They said I will never have a data usage problem again and they are calling to possibly fix this months usage.  They person in the online DM chat is not understanding that the past months data going up after the fact is the real problem and prevents this from being dismissed as a one month accidental overage.   

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

811 Messages

Hello, @citruspilot717. Thank you for reaching out over Xfinity Forums for support. I'm sorry for the frustration you're experiencing this isn't our intention. It sounds like you were working with our Customer Security Assurance experts, this great team does work with data concerns. Besides the 1-888-565-4329 contact number, our great partners can also be contacted at: internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help

Data usage is calculated from the first of the month to the last day for each cycle, and from experience I have seen that data usage is normally a month behind when it comes to billing due to the time frames that bills are printed out compared to the reported data. 

4 Messages

10 months ago

I too am waiting for a call back.  Just need to keep my phone and ticket number ready anywhere from 24-72 hours.  As usual, very poor service.

At this point, my trust in Xfinity is zero.  Starting with customer reps telling me the issue is my modem/router and trying to upsell me on a rental, to them simply not getting the logic of if my past history usage has changed, it's on Xfinity.

This seems to explain all the random "bursts" of data the last couple of years that could not be explained.

They will need to show me that they care about my business in order for me to stay with them.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

@user_5gfgh8​ Okay, I just heard back from them (they didn't ask for the code number) and they said the problem is on their end and that it will be fixed and the data will reflect the proper numbers.  If anyone wants this issue addressed by Comcast then you need to get in touch with their Customer Security Assurance Team at 1-888-565-4329.

6 Messages

Tried calling them and received no help. Since I have my own modem they said there’s nothing I can do but pay them for unlimited data. Wouldn’t even check if the problem was on their end.

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

Thank you for reaching out here @ScarecrowSoze. The security team at the https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse/ site is the best option to check on the data usage issue. 

10 Messages

10 months ago

There clearly is something wrong with the data usage reporting on the Xfinity app in the last day or two. I check it about every other day because I have two teenagers at home who like to sit on their phones or computers watching videos and playing games. I checked our usage over the weekend and it was fairly normal through a week's usage.
Checked it this morning and it has doubled to almost 500GBs. I panicked. I checked my firewall which is the first device that is on our internal network which our cable modem connects to directly - so everything on our internal network goes through the firewall. It reported less than half that usage - about 240GBs (there is usually about a 5 GB difference between what our firewall reports and what the Xfinity app shows.
So I called Xfinity and the CSR reported that she was showing a usage of 243GBs, which is well within what I was expecting for usage.

Obviously there is something wrong currently with the data usage reporting on the app. It's reporting roughly double actual usage. Checking the previous two months in the "3 Month Usage trend" is also showing a doubling. For example, for August, we used a little over 1TB. But the app is showing we supposedly used 2.2TBs! September is the same story.

It's VERY difficult to keep track of our usage if wholly reliant on the Xfinity app at the moment as the data usage is clearly wrong. It's roughly double the actual usage. I am thankful I have my firewall reporting that is obviously more accurate, even with the usual different in reporting it shows from "normal" Xfinity reporting.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

10 months ago

I too am having problems with Xfinity’s data usage accounting. Last night my October usage went up by 80G.  My monthly average is around 200G. My September usage doubled. I am going to start taking screen shots of their usage report every day.

is there any way to track the usage by the tv cable box? Of the Xfinity hot spot?

3 Messages

10 months ago

Yep same thing here. I watched a ton  of football over the weekend and checked the data, Monday morning the 9th, it was at around 325 GB used so far for Oct. That's normal for me, about an average of 40 GB a day. Now I've checked it Tue. the 10th it's at 755 GB. It's saying I used 430 GB in one day. Yes my previous month's totals are also doubled what they were, anywhere between 1,900-2,200. No I don't have the unlimited plan. 

(edited)

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

10 months ago

I just heard back from them (they didn't ask for the code number) and they said the problem is on their end and that it will be fixed and the data will reflect the proper numbers.  If anyone wants this issue addressed by Comcast then you need to get in touch with their Customer Security Assurance Team at their listed phone number.

(edited)

10 Messages

I'd love to call that number but I keep getting "the system is experiencing technical difficulties, please try again later" after the initial warning about the call may be monitored. Lovely.

10 Messages

Finally got through to their Customer Security Assurance Team. Confirmed, they are aware of the problem with the Xfinity app's data usage reporting erroneous data (in my case doubling the actual usage amounts). I am supposed to get a call back when the issue is resolved.

Official Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

I am glad that you were able to speak with the Customer Security Assurance team when you tried again about the data meter, @user_rcds01. I will check back with you in a few days to see how things are going and if you have heard back from the team. 

1 Message

10 months ago

Just echoing what everyone else here is saying.  I watch my data usage closely on the 1229 plan.  Sunday night it was showing around 350 so far for October, and Monday morning it was showing around 700.  At the same time, all three of the previous months are showing exactly double where they actually ended (ex: August was 1208 but is now showing 2416).  It's showing wrong on the website, viewing on the X1 box on my TV, and in both the old and new apps on my phone.  It's reassuring that some are saying the phone support people see it accurately on their end.  That suggests it's just a bug in whatever API all the different public-facing interfaces are calling to retrieve it and not necessarily bad data in the real database used by billing.

Contributor

• 

139 Messages

10 months ago

Not using the app but on the website the modem seems to be correct while the meter doubles whatever the modem counts.

Modem stat is also about what my router shows for usage.

Another thread on this: https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/data-usage-numbers-wrong/65254534f8fcd3407e3c5c25

Photos were taken at the same time for each stat modem vs meter.

You can see the modem counted 1 GB (from 147GB to 148GB) but the meter counted 2 GB (from 289GB to 291GB).

1 Message

10 months ago

same thing occurred to me, all my previous months data usage passed 1.2T threshold. what a baloney!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here