U

Tuesday, October 10th, 2023 11:05 AM

Closed

Data Usage

Same thing is happening to me.

At the beginning of October I checked my data usage and for the previous three months, each month had around 1000gb data usage which is normal. However today when I checked my data usage, the data usage of the past three months have been revised to around 2000gb each. Also, the current data usage for this month so far is 690gb when I would usually only have around 250gb by now. To be clear, I've checked my data usage regularly for the past few months and it has never shown these past months as having 2000gb+ data usage or ever exceeding 1229gb of data until now.  Why is this happening?

Edit: I expanded the table usage data and it shows May and June as also having around 2000gb usage when I know I never exceeded over 1229gb of data during any month this year as this is something I always check.

This post was created from this comment on different post

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

11 months ago

Hello, @user_euun2w! Thank you for leaving a comment on another user's post regarding your shared data usage concerns. We'd love to help answer your questions! And to ensure we fully address every concern, we've converted your comment to its own post :) To get started, let's confirm the steps you've taken so far. Here's a great page to start on, with links for checking your personal data usage and our Data FAQs. You can also set up notifications for passing certain data thresholds as seen here. Have you done this already? Your post reads as if your data usage caught you by surprise, so we want to make sure you have all the information to keep you one step ahead of any billing concerns such as data overage charges. Please let me know if this helps!

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

I have the same problem my data usage according to xfinity is twice what my router says that my data usage is.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thank you for reaching out to us @vgpmckinney! There is a known issue impacting the data usage calculator for some of our customers. Our engineers are actively working to resolve this issue soon. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

11 months ago

I have had the same issue here today. Got an email notification on 2023-10-09 1940 hours stating data usage has passed 75% of my monthly amount (1200 GB) after 9 days. I have not previously ever exceeded data usage in a full month! Looking at the app, it shows I have used nearly 2 TB each of the last 6 months and have used 1.9 TB as of 2023-10-09 1800 hours. Now the app is not even working on my phone, so Comcast appears to be is having some real IT issues at the moment. Tracing internet usage is not how I prefer to spend my time, and about the only link Comcast provides is to their unlimited data plan at a higher price point. If I was a cynic, I might think they were trying to upsell me. Maybe the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau can look into this.    

7 Messages

11 months ago

Yeah, I noticed that my usage looks like twice the amount it should be as well.

20 Messages

11 months ago

My usage typically averages 29-30 GB a day prior to October 2023.  Never once have I gone over the 1229 limit until now when I received an email from Xfinity letting me know I had used 75% with 11 days left.  That is an average of 47 a day.  Absolutely nothing has changed in my household, my router is encrypted, no new devices, no apps using more than previously.  If I wasn't locked in to Xfinity as my only choice for internet service I would gladly leave.....as a 20+ year customer they have done nothing to reduce the cost to keep me as a customer.  Now I see they are also reducing the savings for automatic payment of $10 to $5 starting in December 2023.  I saw in a previous response from XfinityAldrik that this is a known issue for some customers and that their engineers are working on it.  Probably won't happen until I go over the limit at the end of this month....

Official Employee

• 

893 Messages

Hello, @user_gitgjt. Thank you for reaching out over Xfinity Forums for support, you have contacted the right place for assistance in regard to the data usage concern. We have had lots of customers report that they can see the correct data now. If you're still experiencing issues, our dedicated Customer Security Assurance (CSA) experts can help with this issue. They are available 7 days a week from 8am-12am at 1-888-565-4329 or online: https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/. 

In regard to the changing automatic payment discount. If you're signed up with a credit or debit card and paperless statements the discount will be $5. You can update to a checking account and keep paperless statements to receive the $10 credit. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

I just spent 40 minutes chatting online with a Comcast customer service rep (CSR). It ended with the same advice to contact the "CSA" team, but gave me the following number: 1-800-934-6489. I did get a daily report of my data and a confirmation from the CSR that is was "odd" I had days with 105-240GB internet use during the first 8 days of the month, and nothing above 35 since then.

20 Messages

@XfinityJustinC​ 

That website you posted https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/ does not work. This is the response I get....

ad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.

Official Employee

• 

744 Messages

Thank you for the update @user_gitgjt you should have been redirected to our main page for our Customer Security Assurance (CSA) Team that will provide you with their contact details. You can use this link to access the correct page. Our CSA team is not currently available to provide support online for issues like the incorrect meter, so I recommend using the phone number provided above (1-888-565-4329) to get in touch with someone that ensure your usage is showing the correct data!

20 Messages

@XfinityKatie​ That link gives the same response.....bad request.....there is no redirect as you suggested.

20 Messages

11 months ago

After calling 1-888-565-4329 Customer Security Assurance this morning my issues are no more resolved than before.  Because I own my own modem, I have to contact Motorola to have them check my appliance out.  I was also told Motorola would contact Xfinity to resolve my problem but I could not obtain a reference number to give Motorola which I found absurd.  As of today according to my data usage I have used 100 GB in less than 24 hrs.  If I could find another provider for internet I'd be on my way!!!! I am angry to have to jump through all of these hoops to get to the bottom of this.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

We would like to help with this more in details. Please send us a direct message: 

• Make sure you are signed in here in the Xfinity Forum. Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message" icon (square chat icon in the upper right corner of your screen next to the bell icon)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send it

20 Messages

I do hope this gets figured out soon......another email today says I am at 90% usage, currently at 1118 GB up from yesterday which I was supposedly at 1056, which was up from the day before at 946 GB. This is crazy wrong!  This morning 10/24 I show usage of 1156......someone needs to figure this out!

(edited)

20 Messages

Just an FYI.....I just talked with Customer Security Assurance to have them tell me the increase is all my fault.  In fact he told me to expect these increase due to programs changing/upgrading that will consistently use more data.  Frankly, i got no satisfaction from the call, no recourse from Xfinity other than to expect things to continue to increase......so the only thing I can do is sign up for their unlimited data.  Bull.....I'm a senior citizen and unable to afford that extra $30 a month.  Wish I could drop Xfinity altogether.

20 Messages

11 months ago

On Oct. 20 I received my first notice I was at 75% usage......yesterday I got an email telling me I was at 100%.....so this morning I am now in the "over" zone.  In 5 days their system says I have used almost more data than an entire month previously. As I stated before, my conversation with their Security Assurance group pointed the finger at me, my owned router.......and beware, so far none of my conversations with Xfinity have produced a ticket or reference number of any sort so to ever continue this with them I'll be starting from scratch.   Interestingly, I can see others are having this same problem with no real acknowledgement from Xfinity that there is a problem.  We can't all be wrong that it is a company issue.

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

You went fast! Mine was supposedly at 75% on 10/11 (923 GB in 10 days!, higher than I had ever used in a full month). Just yesterday it “went over” our plans 1.29 TB limit (14 days to use the next 300 GB). Today the app shows that I am already 100 GB over my limit!!! Recent months have recorded 420-923 GB. That spread alone makes me question the accuracy of Comcast data even absent their cluster**** this month. The lack of any transparency in their system and the endless push by Comcast employees and the app to upsell you to unlimited data makes it appear that $$$, not service, is Comcast’s only mission. It has a monopoly in my area and should be regulated like a utility IMHO.

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

Thank you for letting us know about your experience with your data usage @MJamesI At this time data usage is verified by an independent, third-party auditor. The best course of action, in this case, would actually be to report this to our Customer Security Assurance. You can contact them by following this link: https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse/ or by calling CSA Toll-Free Number: 1-888-565-4329. 

You can monitor your data usage using your Xfinity app and with our Data Usage Center with the link: https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/data?linkId=137770825. You can learn more about our unlimited data packages with the link: https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/data as well as add them there too if needed!

20 Messages

@MJamesI​ ......I am getting no where with Xfinity.  At first they said is was my Motorola modem but I just got an xFi (free thank goodness) and it's still showing an exorbitant amount of usage.....overnight on the new modem while nothing was on and we were sleeping I showed 29 GB used.  How is that possible??? I'm about ready to contact the FTC....or whomever I can to verify why my usage spiked so badly!

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

10 months ago

Is anyone getting a good resolution to this? We've had Xfinity for 4 years, and it looks like we use 300-400 GB per month. In October I started getting emails and text messages, and the month ended at almost 1400. Nothing [edited all caps] in our usage has changed. This had better get resolved before I start getting charged for extra data we're not actually using. 

(edited)

20 Messages

@carrieroer​ .....same on my end.  2 conversations with CSA puts the blame on me, telling me they are getting the info from my modem.  I have been a customer for 20+ years, never had any issues until last month.  And no one seems to know or try to help figure this out.  I am taking screenshots daily of my meter for the next week or so and will use that information when I actually go in to a store to see if I get any other information/resolution.

Official Employee

• 

903 Messages

Hi there @carrieroer ! The best bet would be to reach out to our great partners on the Customer Security Assurance team. Their contact info can be found here : https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse 

Business Hours: 8:00am - 12:00am EST, 7 days a week

They should be able to guide you on this issue. 

20 Messages

@carrieroer​ .......I hope you get your usage fixed.  Mine keeps going from bad to worse.  Meter read 34 GB at 9 pm last night, was watching the ball game and had my cell phone on....shut the TV off after the win and went to bed.  Woke up this morning to my meter reading 60GB used.....that's insane! At that rate I will be approaching 1800 GB use for the month of November......and yet no one from Xfinity has any excuse other than it's coming from my modem. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here