U

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, February 8th, 2022 10:14 PM

Closed

Cannot enable Advanced Security

My first post although I have been a Comcast customer for 16 years.

I have been using the xFi modem without issues until 5 days ago when I cannot enable Advanced Security.  Whether I use the app or via the Xfinity website makes no difference.  I have this message that said 'Hang on while we make your changes to Advanced Security' and 'we are still setting up Advanced Security.  Please wait at least 10 mins'.  It's been like this for the last 5 days.

Numerous chats with 5 different agents did not solve the problems.  I was told a Tier 2 ticket was issued but no one followed up.

I tried the easy and obvious things first.  Like restarting Gateway, rebooting the modem etc.

Anyone having the same problem?  How was it resolved?

Thanks,

Official Solution

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

3 years ago

All,

Thank you all for getting this reported to us. We have escalated this to our product teams and they are actively working on getting this resolved for all impacted customers. As soon as we have additional information on that fix, we will be sure to update this post. 

Thanks again for your help in getting this identified and your continued patience as we work to get this resolved.

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

@XfinityJessie​ Mine has been working perfectly for several days, thank you!

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@XfinityJessie​ I'm experiencing the same problem. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I have the same problem...shows connected but won't open mail etc.  New MacPro 15" running Monterey.  Very frustrating...

Problem Solver

• 

513 Messages

Hi there, @user_cba15a. Thank you for commenting. The issue others are having in this thread is about the Advanced Security not being able to enable it. Are you having issues with your mail or connecting to the internet? These may be different issues as they are related to websites and not the advance security feature. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@XfinityJessie​ I'm experiencing the same problem. 

Official Employee

• 

933 Messages

3 years ago

Hello @user_cloud9 and thanks for reaching out. I know how important it is to enable Advanced Security. I'd like to ask, have you tried doing a factory reset to the modem? 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@XfinityMikeB​ 

No, I have not tried to reset the modem.  I have spoken with several agents but no one suggested to reset the modem.

Can you tell me if I will need to set up the modem all over again if I reset it?

Thanks,

k

Official Employee

• 

933 Messages

Great question! A factory reset restores your Gateway to its original default settings, including your WiFi name and password. Once this cycles thru, you would need to customize your network settings again.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

@XfinityMikeB​ 

My gateway advance security was working fine until recently. I made no changes to the system.  Advanced Security tab in app is grayed out

and has an exclamation point. When I open it I get the message "Turning on advanced security" but it doesn't turn on. I restarted the gateway 

and the issue still exists. We got a new gateway a few weeks ago due to issues with the old one. All was OK with the app until a few days ago

I deleted the app from my iPhone and reinstalled it and problem still exists. 

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Thanks for getting back to us and for the details. Do you know if your modem is currently in bridge mode? I am sharing a link here to enable/disable bridge mode. When in bridge mode the xFi Advanced Security and xFi features are not available so this may be why you are seeing this greyed out.

Once you have made sure this is 'OFF' you can use the Xfinity app to activate the Advanced Security again. Please let me know if this helps. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

Same issue here and calls to tech just said "Go to the store". No one can help. Started 1-2 days ago with no previous issues. How important is Advanced Security anyway?

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

3 years ago

I am having the same issues as described above.  No changes made to my end (in years). Very vanilla setup (no bridge mode). Have done a few modem restarts; has not had any impact.  

Both the app and online XFI portal tell me Advanced Security is being setup (with exclamation point), and will take at least 10 minutes.  It’s been several days.

Advanced Security cannot be toggled off or on at this point; it is essentially stuck like this.

I will not factory reset the modem.  That sounds like overkill, for an issue likely introduced at the Comcast end given the number of occurrences cited here.

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

3 years ago

I wonder if it is modem specific? Mine is an TG1682G, everyone else?

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@Panfish​ same issue on TG1682G

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@RickM52. This type of issue is something we want to put a ticket in for which helps with narrowing down the issue. We can also ship you an XB6 or you can grab one at a store if the TG1682 is the only impacted gateway. Let me know what you would like to do. 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@Panfish​ I'm having the same problem!

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

3 years ago

All, please see the link the hedge provided me. Looks like IOS 15.x.x may be causing this? I just updated 2 phones Sunday to IOS 15.3.1 and this started just after that.

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

3 years ago

Note however when all devices that were updated leave the house, advanced security is still disabled.

Problem Solver

• 

770 Messages

Hey @Panfish. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Apple’s new releases of iOS 15 and macOS Monterey include an Internet privacy service called iCloud Private Relay. If this feature is enabled, Advanced Security won’t work. Learn more about iCloud Private Relay.

Are you able to roll back to the previous iOS, and check the Advanced Security? 

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

No, I cannot roll back. Again, looking at iCloud Private Relay it doesn't give me the option of turning off, just upgrading. 

Problem Solver

• 

770 Messages

@Panfish the takeaway I get is If you have an xFi Gateway (XB6 and XB7) and use xFi features including Advanced Security, Parental Controls and Active Time Details or rely on other xFi features, those features will continue to work after your Apple devices have upgraded to iOS 15 or macOS Monterey because iCloud Private Replay won’t be turned on as part of the upgrade process. However, if you then turn on iCloud Private Relay, these xFi features won’t work or will be diminished.

If the toggle option is not there, we can not add it or turn off your iPhone settings. 

On you second question, can you tell me more about what you mean? Are you saying the Advance Security is not working at all now? You may need to reenable the feature. Which restoring your gateway to factory settings then turn on Advanced Security from the Connect tab in both the Xfinity app and the xFi website. Simply click on the Advanced Security tile and follow the steps to enable Advanced Security.

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

@XfinityBrandon​ Thank you for the reply. I have a TG1682G modem. Sounds like even if I upgrade to a XB6 or XB7 I still will  not be able to use Advanced Security since the beta is already on from the iOS 15.3.1 upgrade from IOS 14.80? What all of us have been seeing for days, cannot turn on, says it is "turning on advanced security, hang on while we make changes to your advanced security." and clicking on that, "Turning on advanced security, We are still setting up advanced security, please wait 10 minutes"

I am very reluctant to do a factory reset. All saved data lost, etc. and even then would it not still follow the IOS rule of not working? I do not have the app, just website access.

Again, thanks for your help.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@Panfish​ 

It cannot be the iOS5 upgrade.  I tried to toggle it on the Xfinity website and it made no difference.

k

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

The same issue also started for me once our iPhones were updated to iOS 15. We also do not have the iCloud relay enabled. 

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

3 years ago

Xfinity/Comcast please see the connection here on all of us. Updated to IOS 15.x.x 

Problem Solver

• 

770 Messages

Thank you for those details. It sounds like you would need to reach out to the phone manufacture to see about those options/settings. Our Advanced Security currently will not operate with iCloud Private Relay enabled. Here, you can find the support article. 

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

Seems very odd that a phone such as Iphone will not work with an upgraded IOS considering there are millions of us out here?

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

@XfinityBrandon​ Also note that when the only two phones updated to IOS 15.x.x are gone from our home Advanced Security is also still not working.

Problem Solver

• 

770 Messages

My pleasure to help! From what I gather, If you’re an xFi customer and you turn on iCloud Private Relay, some of your xFi features won’t work or will be degraded. If you’ve turned on the full suite of xFi features, including Advanced Security, Parental Controls and Active Time Details, and you wish to continue using those features, you shouldn’t turn on iCloud Private Relay when connected to your home WiFi network. Since our system is still trying to connect to the iOS, there must be something on the backend, causing it to not communicate, and stopping the activation. 

Good point, it may not allow the feature to operate since you would still have the Private Relay on. I am sure we are working on a fix, and hopefully soon. Have you reached out to Apple, and asked if they know of a work around? 

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

@XfinityBrandon​ No I have not reached out to Apple since this is clearly an issue with Xfinity Advanced Security. And again it seems that Private Relay is baked into IOS 15 without the option to toggle off unless you upgrade to iCloud+.

One final question does TG1682G modem have an basic firewall in it so I am least protected in that respect?

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

3 years ago

I’ve never turned iCloud private relay on.  Also seeing the issue from Accessing the xfi portal from browsers on Windows machines.

comcast clearly changed something for all of us to be having this issue at once.  

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.3K Messages

Hi all. We appreciate you staying in touch and keeping us up to date on the things you're currently experiencing with Advanced Security. This might be something we need to go ahead and create requests for that go to our Advanced Support team, who work closely with our engineers. Can you all please confirm which model of modem you're using and what troubleshooting steps you've taken thus far? Thanks in advance! 

I no longer work for Comcast

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

@XfinityMorgan​ TG1682G modem. Only did reboot of modem and calls to Advanced Repair/Support under ticket # CR025783194 that they closed because I "talked" to them. No resolution. One tech only told me to go to an Xfinity store!

Thanks for your help, appreciate it!

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I have CGM4140COM and have the same issue. just upgraded to IOS 15.

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

3 years ago

I’m on the XB6 modem.  Have tried several modem reboots.  The issue remains.

I see the issue from every device I have, which includes iPhones, Windows laptops, and a MacBook. 

I’ve been on iOS 15 for months; this problem just started over the last week.

Problem Solver

• 

546 Messages

Our Community Forum was designed to build a positive and thriving peer to peer help community. I need to remind you that unsolicited Direct Messages are against our guidelines. Please post your question(s) publicly. If needed, we will invite you to message us directly. If you have questions about our forum guidelines, you can find our guidelines here - https://comca.st/3BvElHx

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

@XfinityTravis​ Apologies, post deleted.

Problem Solver

• 

546 Messages

No worries. I just need to put a reminder out there 😀

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.3K Messages

Could you do me a favor and pick a device and one browser to use, clear the cache and cookies on it, reboot it, and then try logging back into our website to see if anything has changed for the better. Sometimes there can be some behind-the-scenes updates that go through in cases like this, which is why I'm having you do that. Please let us know what happens either way. 

I no longer work for Comcast

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

It cannot be because of the iOS upgrade.  The first things I tried was visit the Xfinity site and turn it on from there.  Same thing

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

@user_cloud9​ Are you using an Apple product? If so what IOS are you on?

Problem Solver

• 

1.1K Messages

I know you stated we submitted a ticket. I'd love to look into that and see what was stated and get this taken care of. Can you send me a PM with your name and address? 

To send a "Peer to peer" message:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

I have the exact same probably. Was on the phone for two hrs last night with xfinity comcast with no solution.

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

3 years ago

Still happening today,

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Let's take a closer look at this for you. Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this https://comca.st/3GYLnFO send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I am also having this same problem. It is stuck waiting to turn on the advanced security. It's been at least a week. Does Comcast have any insight into why this is happening for so many users?

Problem Solver

• 

672 Messages

@user_9e2018 I want to take a closer look at your account and see why you are seeing the same message.

Could you please send our team a private message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a Private message to Xfinity Support from any Forum page:

Click "Sign In" if that prompt is visible

• Click the "Direct Messaging" icon

• Press Enter to send it

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here