drummerjk's profile

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, October 10th, 2023 9:12 PM

Closed

Root Sports being dropped from Popular TV package

Thanks for nothing Xfinity!  Forcing us to upgrade just to watch our local baseball team and other local sports.  Leaving you after 20 years.  Hello Fubo.

9 Messages

10 months ago

This is the last straw, time to pull the plug on Comcast Xfinity and move to streaming services.  Just not right that pull our local sports channel and charge us for for it now.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.9K Messages

10 months ago

Sports networks are EXPENSIVE! People are cutting the cord due to the obscene costs. I cancelled Comcast TV due to the insane RSN and other fees. I don't [Edited: "Language"] about sports. Many other people don't watch much if anything either, but are forced to pay insane fees and higher prices to cover it.

Bally Sports is in bankruptcy and dropping teams. AT&T Sportsnet is shutting down, with some of their services being sold to others. When various services offer stand-alone sports streaming, they typically start at $20/month or more.

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.9K Messages

10 months ago

I would bet 95%+ of Comcast subscribers who get Roots Sports as part of the TV package probably NEVER watch it.

Contributor

• 

274 Messages

I do. [Edited: "Inflammatory"]. Fees go up, services disappear. If I dont get Root Sports I want a reduction in my bill.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

User 9840:  I wish there was some way to prove to you that you’re wrong.  Maybe when enough of us cancel Comcast and they miss our $$, they’ll raise prices for all you who stayed, [Edited: "Inflammatory"]  Good luck………

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

744 Messages

@ngs4509 We know channel changes are never ideal, and are always working to ensure that our customers have the best services as part of their plan. We regularly evaluate our channel lineups and sometimes make changes to ensure we're offering a wide variety of content at the best value. The good news is that if you have a package that no longer includes a regional sports network (RSN) like Root Sports Northwest, you won’t see that network's portion of the fee on your bill. 

If you would like to explore options of adding this back on to your plan, or explore other options available to you, please don't hesitate to send our team ("Xfinity Support") a direct message so we can further assist you. You can also send us a suggestion online for channels you would like to see, or share your thoughts on changes as your feedback helps us reevaluate the channels and programs we offer.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

10 months ago

I think the mariners who pretty much own root sports is taking a big gamble here as well! It is all about the money and I think this move will alienate the fan base to watch a team that gives you just enough hope to be disappointed year after year. So like the sounders going to apple stream tv and alienating the young viewers who are the future fan base because they won't pony up the money to watch them, I think there will be a disinterest in sports in the near future. I will not pay more for the mariners or any other sports team so like the sounders,mariners and the kraken, I think they just moved to another city [Edited: "Language"]

(edited)

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

Maybe, just maybe, true fans follow their teams…….. elsewhere………

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

Well, the M's have historically been the best farm team for the entire MLB, so....(kidding!) 

This change was my last straw. 

Regular Visitor

• 

11 Messages

10 months ago

I hope this backfires on all of them. What a [Edited: "Language"]. If they haven't rescinded this [Edited: "Language"] in a month, and restored ROOT to my plan, I have to find to find another provider after 22+ years. And if [Edited: "Inflammatory"] try to say I'm breaking a contract, the contract was broken when they pulled this stunt. I paid for ROOT, and if it is taken away, no contract exists.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

274 Messages

Agreed. And well said. I've been with Comcast for 30+ years and while I keep having to pay more I'm getting less and less. I refuse to pay more/extra for a channel I've had for years. This may very well be the last straw. I'v had it, and many many others too I'm sure. I am ANGRY....

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

Couldn’t agree more!!!!!  Tired of being a hostage!  ANGRY, too!!!

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

10 months ago

Absolutely right!  I’ll take the $8.95 xf “saved” me elsewhere!!

Regular Visitor

• 

11 Messages

10 months ago

I think a lot of long-time customers will leave Comcast finally after years of getting our rates jacked, services dropped, indecipherable bills and the entire hassle of having to deal with a company that makes you waste countless hours on the phone on hold with their messed-up system. And then when you finally speak to someone, often as not is with someone who barely speaks understandable English and tries to sell you another service. This is really it for me unless they rescind this.

What's another service that has good internet speed, a good lineup of channels and will provide ROOT sports so people can watch their local teams?

Worst company in the world, imho. Totally unresponsive to their customers. And the most expensive bill for a service or utility that I receive every month. And now they just tried to grab another $70 per month on my already $176 per month I pay, just to watch the M's and Kraken and few other local sports.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

@mikey58​ :  Most costly bill here, too.  More than medical+pharmacy.  They do it because they CAN.  Doesn’t make it RIGHT.  I’d pay a $5 add on to current services, like I pay more for groceries and gas……. THINK, xf, THINK!!!

2 Messages

10 months ago

All of the criticism of Xfinity is completely valid, but don't lose sight of the fact that this was initiated by ROOT raising their prices to Xfinity. Then they both make finger pointing posts about their primary concern is accessibility to the fans. We all know what their real priorities are, and it isn't the fans. 

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

I rec’d word Thursday that xf had  partway listened to my suggestion to leave ROOT in our plan for a $5 price increase.  Instead they offer ROOT in the next plan for 6 months.  No word about what happens in Month 7…….  At least gives me more time to explore other options if they continue to insist I pay for the next level.  I don’t want any more junk channels!!  This retired widow only wants ROOT and Hallmark without them costing a fortune!!

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

10 months ago

This'll be it for me and Comcast.  I watch "some" Root stuff, mostly the M's, but some other stuff of course.   Over our time with Comcast, we've lost what is now the Paramount network, CMT, FXM and a few others, all of which we watched quite regularly. Did we see a rate reduction? Nope.  Did we get warning? Nope.  Did we get a contract modification that we approved? Nope.    I mean, if you want to destroy your consumer base, this is how you destroy your consumer base.  Not just Comcast, but NBC as well.   Networks destroy their customer base through providing stuff that their customers find uninteresting or offensive or both.   Drive programming that used to be on regular OTA networks like the NBA, Nascar, NFL, college playoffs and championship games and move them to PPV (which is cable).  Replace that programming with infomercials.  Destroy the local TV stations as no one watches infomercials, and their ad rates plummet.  [Edited: "Inflammatory"].   Well, teams have destroyed their fan bases by doing this.   Let me know how that works out for you.     Amazon is shipping me a couple of OTA antennas, I'll stream the rest of what we want to watch and perhaps subscribe to a few premium channels.   It might actually cost me more than what I spend on TV services through Comcast; I don't necessarily care.  When TDS fiber finishes their build in our area (2024), I'll likely dump Comcast in it's entirety.     There's no longer value here. 

(edited)

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

You make excellent points!!

2 Messages

10 months ago

Comcast handling of the "Root Sports" fiasco absolutely stinks. We are fed up. We're required to pay for a package that is filled with garbage to get the few channels we enjoy, then one that we find enjoyable is withdrawn and we're told we have to pay for a more expensive package to obtain it. What a rotten deal! We are actively looking for a different provider. Our son-in-law has already dropped Comcast.

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Root Sports

Official Employee

• 

744 Messages

@user_9n2p64 We regularly evaluate our channel lineups and sometimes make changes to ensure we're offering a wide variety of content at the best value. As part of those regular reviews, we decided to move Root Sports Northwest. Anytime a change is being made to the content we offer, we do advise you of this 1-2 months in advance via your billing statement to help keep you update and plan accordingly, if needed. We would hate to see this change cause you to leave us, and would love to explore what options may be available to help you keep the channels you love at an affordable cost. Please send our team a direct message here, and we'd be more than happy to help! To send a direct message, please click on the chat icon in the top-right corner of the screen, and select "Xfinity Support" to initiate a live chat.

Click "Sign In" if necessary

Click the "direct messaging" icon or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Press Enter to send it

Your feedback helps us reevaluate the channels and programs we offer. You can leave a suggestion or feedback on changes at any time by completing our feedback form.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

1 Message

9 months ago

Seems like Xfinity/comcast doesnt care what we think of them taking ROOT Sports away and trying to convince us to pay more to watch our local sports teams. All they care about is making more money. The only response they give to our complaints is a canned response from XfinityKatie. Perhaps they should get rid of the many useless channels that very few people watch and leave us watch our local sports. This move from them is outrageous. Goodbye comcast. Tired of you constantly raising prices and giving us less.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.9K Messages

9 months ago

Comcast knows how many people actually watch their channels and do the math on profit/loss. They know how few actually watch many of these sports networks. Just because YOU don't watch a bunch of channels doesn't mean others don't watch. They know some will cancel over this, but may hold on to MANY more who will appreciate the $9 price drop.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

9 months ago

And they took away the INSP channel too. One of my regular favorites. Didn't give me any money back on that one. 

1 Message

9 months ago

My internet and cable bill is already more than $200. Now, I have to pay more money to watch my local sports AND still pay a regional sports fee? This seems criminal. @XfinityJessie I'm sure you are aware, but Xfinity has made a terrible decision moving Root Sports to the Ultimate Package. At the very least you could have waived the regional sports fee for existing customers. I know Xfinity doesn't really care about anything other than profit, but this is obsurd.

I've already been on the fence about canceling Xfinity and this pretty much just seals the deal. 

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

@SEA_Witch​ You said all this perfectly.  Xfinity reminds me of Bell Telephone years ago.  They were the only telephone option and people said their motto was, "We don't care, we don't have to."  That's the way Xfinity has become.  They have a great product, lots of services, and they are pretty much the only game in town-- with some nod to Centurylink and other small players.  But they've taken that power and said, Screw You to their customers.  If available, give Ziply Fiber a try.  They are only in the states surrounding Washington State-- but they have lightning quick speeds and good customer service.  It means moving to streaming as a source for tv, but that is where the world is headed.  

Regular Visitor

• 

11 Messages

Same here. I'm actively looking for a streaming service and new hookup to the internet. It's a huge hassle to switch after over 20 years, but I've had it with them. I think Comcast is banking on the fact that they may lose some customers, but they don't care because they will make up for that by gouging the customers they manage to keep with this outrageous bill increase. It literally will raise my monthly bill by some $75 just to keep ROOT sports to watch the M's and the Kraken. Disgraceful that they are trying to pull nearly $1000 a year more from loyal customers to continue to provide a channel they already contracted to provide customers in our channel lineup.

But of course, honoring their own agreements means nothing to Comcast. And it was downright shady and malicious to pull ROOT Sports without warning, three hours before the Kraken took to the ice to start a new season. I'm hoping a class action suit is initiated against them for this.

1 Message

9 months ago

[Edited: "Solicitation"] The more channels people watch or become more popular, they remove and make us pay more. It's so ridiculous we can't watch our own local sports teams. It's weird, that if we want to watch certain shows, you have to have Hulu, peacock, Disney plus and so on. 

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

836 Messages

@user_0zrm4m We absolutely understand that Root Sports and other regional networks are beloved by those who watch them, and our goal is always to provide the best viewing experience possible.  By consolidating Root Sports into our Sports Entertainment tier, we have made this accessible to any customer not based on just their channel tier. 

1 Message

This is not true. We pay for the sports package and it doesnt contain Root. XfinityAlonso is lying.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here