Community Forum

Unusually high data usage megathread

Highlighted
New Poster

Data usage has double since moving from ATT to Xfinity

Over the past 2 months my data usage has doubled with no changing in my habits or new equipment. Xfinity has no answer except to tell me maybe I need to rent their router.

Official Employee

Re: Internet usage - December

@asusDev wrote:

"The December data usage reports from Comcast are not accurate and off as much as 30% - 60%; even taking into account a 24-hour delay in usage reporting. As of 12/6 Comcast's Data Usage Report shows that I've used 128GB of data, my router report states 80GB of data - 60% difference. Again, these large data discrepencies did not exist in October and November. There hasn't been any firmware or hardware change on my end since July."

Monthly Usage As of December 7th: Asus Router: 118GB, Comcast 260GB. 

In 24 hours, according to Comcast, I have used 130GB of data, versus 38GB reported by my router.

Can someone at Comcast help me with this issue?

@ComcastCares @ComcastDNS @ComcastVijaya

Apologies for the issues and the experience that you described above.

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a credit to your account while our team researches your account further.

The credit will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

Thanks for your patience.

For all - the link below has some general information on how to avoid overage charges and tips to conserve data usage:
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-avoid-overage-charges

In reviewing your account, I can see high data usage (about 130 gb) on or about December 6th.  As mentioned earlier, our data meter data is delayed by about 24 hours.  

I've asked a collegue to review your account and contact you directly. Thanks for your patience.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Unusually high data usage megathread

@Debbiejr wrote:
My data usage soared from 385GB to over the 1024 GB limit in October and close to that in November. I work and my viewing habits did not change. I went in and picked up Xfinity box to pin down culprits. It only during my viewing habit times. Something is very wrong.

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a credit to your account while our team researches your account further.

The credit will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

For all - the link below has some general information on how to avoid overage charges and tips to conserve data usage:

I've asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly. Thanks for your patience.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Official Employee

@sam91765 wrote:
same here. somehow I blew through 500gb in one day on Nov 7. I called Comcast and got connected to the security team and got nothing resolved. In fact I left the call feeling like it was my fault for not monitoring my data usage daily or for using my own modem rather than Comcast’s. I ended up going over and using up a courtesy overage.
Then it happened again on Dec 5. This time I somehow blew through the 1TB in one day. I disconnected my modem @ 919gb but still manage to blow through another 163gb and reach the 1082gb mark. Haven’t had internet in my house since. I got connected with a more competent person on the security team today and he opened a case number for me. He suspects it’s my modem sending inaccurate data usage? To me it seems like the Comcast metering issue hasn’t been resolved yet with all the people here continuing to see the same issue.

Apologies for the issues and the experience that you described above. The earlier Fall 2019 data issue has been resolved. Those customers were identified, contacted and credited. While not an ideal situation, this was not a large amount of customers. 

In reviewing your account, I can see data usage from June through November averaged about 786 gb/month. As you mentioned, the December usage spike appears to be around December 5th (over 900 gb) if that helps you to track that down. Please see earlier disclaimer around data usage metering delayed by 24 hours (it's not a "real time" data meter).

I've asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly. Thanks for your patience.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Internet usage

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Marcusatx wrote:
The most data I’ve ever used in a single month was close to 700 gigs and for some reason I’m over the terabyte by 40 gigs the first five days in December. It’s absolutely impossible. Nothing has changed at the house.

In reviewing your account, I can see data usage from June through November averaged about 582 gb/month. The December usage spike appears to be around two days - December 2nd (550 gb) and December 3rd (450 gb) - if that helps you to track that down.  Please see earlier disclaimer around data usage metering delayed by 24 hours (it's not a "real time" data meter). 

I've asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly. Thanks for your patience.

It sure would be nice if we could see daily spikes of that magnitude so we could search for a cause

Monthly numbers don't warn us before we go over the limit.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Official Employee

@mark6785 wrote:

Thanks for the credit but my real worry is the overage. As of 1pm today I'm at 216 GB and will have to find a solution before the 20th of Dec. or I'll be charged BIGGLY. I have been tracking my data usage and it seems to be about 60 GB a day (24 hour period). 1024 divided by 60 =17.0666666 days. 11 days left before I start to rack up extra charges and it's Christmas time.

I called Netgear and talked to a tech ( 90 day support with purchase). While on the phone, reset the modem/router and new password and opened up a case with them and checked to see how many devises, 1 laptop 3 tvs. No outside interferance according to the tech and on monitoring the modem/router through their app..

Will now check prices for Verizon (as they are my current phone data provider ) to see a finale price for service to run 1 laptop and 3 tvs from them.

For December, outside of 12/1 and 12/7,  your usage has been fairly  consistent and is pretty close to your October (1077 gb) and November (1295 gb) activity .

Providing some additional information, background and tips below from our team that does the data overage reviews.

Customer owned devices
- One example are devices like Ubiquiti uNiFi, which our team most commonly sees as an issue with data usage. The device has an internal metering system along with a periodic speed test built into it. The speed test can accrue massive amounts of data usage without reporting to its own internal metering system because it’s part of its system functions, not a device using data even though it is using data. We report its usage because we monitor for all data traffic going to and from the modem/network, not per device connected to their network.

- The number and kinds of devices connected to your network matters. Suggestion is to log into your router to see and verify all the devices connected to your network" (very applicable with customer owned devices).

Metering System:
- Comcast does not have direct access into the metering system to the extent to be able to artificially input or output data usage results or information. Our metering system is regularly audited as well where information on it can be gathered from https://www.netforecast.com/.
It includes everything from the yearly audits to how the metering system works on a technical level. This is done third party outside of Comcast.

Comcast data metering accuracy reports at the link below:
https://www.netforecast.com/comcast-internet-usage-accuracy-reports/

- The metering system is delayed by up to 24 hours. "I watched my meter and it went up by 100GB in the last 3 hours and I just booted up my computer for 15 minutes!" is not accurate - the metering timeframe is not 1:1 - its delayed because it needs to validate data and remove any data that we do not count towards the metering system. This includes things like firmware updates we push out and any other possible data we may push to the network for normal operations.

- Greatest opportunity with Windows 10 devices. Windows 10 has a built in data usage meter for its own data tracking per application/software used on the device for 30 days(Settings -> Network & Internet -> Data Usage tab).

- Similarly could be done for other devices, ex: “Go into Netflix settings and make sure that it pauses after not watching it for a while”, etc.

Overall:
There is no trend or consistency indicating an issue in metering, but rather these have all been unique issues per network requiring the subscriber to troubleshoot/review their network.

The common trend topic is “there is no way I can use this much data”. While the number amount of data a customer can see on the meter is more than what they know to be using, doesn’t mean it isn’t being used.

Common data users:
- Streaming devices left on even when TVs are turned off – continuously streaming and/or misconfigured settings on streaming devices
- Data backups (including cloud backups)
- Large file downloads for entertainment (video games, updates, locally downloaded movies/videos from online services, etc.) or business purposes (files of information/data for business needs, Data backups downloaded from or uploaded to, etc.)

Highlighted
Official Employee

@bq42 wrote:

Seeing this thread brings me a little comfort to know that I'm not the only one having this issue. 

My problems started back in August, after changing my plan and modem in July.  My reported usage jumped significantly starting in August, where I went over the cap for the first time since it was implemented.  Since then every month has been pushing the cap, which doesn't match the historical trend of reported data usage.  Historically for me a "big" month would be 600GB.

I was one of those customers affected by the billing software chage.  I received the credit and had the "data cannot be displayed" issue for September usage.  Even after the the billing software change was rolled back, I am still seeing excessively high usage reported by Comcast.  I finally got tired of it and started collecting Netflow data off my router. My data collection numbers aren't even close to what Comcast is reporting for usage.  There is clearly something still wrong with the data usage system.  Comcast reports that I have used 158GB of data for the month of December.  My Netflow data says that I have used 102.935GB of data.  Comcast is reporting 54% more data usage than what I have measured at my router.

It's nice to see that there have been a few Comcast employees posting in this thread, Comcast really doesn't care about customers, as evidenced by their last known NPS score of -3.  But in all those posts I haven't see any mention of actually fixing anything, just lots of bill credits for the inconvenience.

Can someone from Comcast please contact me and help me resolve the issue?

Apologies for the issues and the experiences that you described above.

I've asked a collegue to review your account and contact you directly. Thanks for your patience.

Outside of the earlier Fall 2019 issue, there is no trend or consistency indicating an issue in metering, but rather these have all been unique issues per network requiring the subscriber to troubleshoot/review their network.  That is based on each of the individual issues posted in this thread that I responded to and had our data team review and contact the customer with their findings.    

The common trend topic is “there is no way I can use this much data”. While the number amount of data a customer can see on the meter is more than what they know to be using, doesn’t mean it isn’t being used.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@Nal64 wrote:
I ended up on this page while looking into why my WiFi hasn’t been working for the past 24 hrs and after reading here, I remembered that I received my 1 and only 90% warning in September. This was especially odd because all 4 people in my family are students or teachers who were home all summer together gaming, streaming, using a new nest cam, and browsing the internet all day long. How did we use MORE data after returning to school for half our day?

In reviewing your account, I can see that you have not used 1 TB/month in the last 6 months.
Average monthly data usage on your account  over the past 6 months is 746 gb.  December usage to date also looks in line.  

Highlighted
Official Employee

@Rturner22131 wrote:
I don’t have a router....only the gateway. At this time, most forum responses and verbal responses via phone are putting the blame on customers instead of realizing there are way too many complaining of the same issue to be the customers fault

Outside of the earlier Fall 2019 issue, there is no trend or consistency indicating an issue in metering, but rather these have all been unique issues per network requiring the subscriber to troubleshoot/review their network. That is based on each of the individual issues posted in this thread that I responded to and had our data team review and contact the customer with their findings.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@OZ_hamster wrote:

As one who had experienced an unprecedented surge in data usage in early October, and subsequently "normalized" mid-month after posting here on the forum (and receiving a $50 credit by Comcast), the most frequently-cited complaint here is a massive surge in data usage radically departing from a customer's historical  data-count pattern.  I can appreciate many of the comments by CC employees and others regarding causes apart from Comcast, such as "cloud synching", constantly running updating, etc., on i-Devices,  and anything else particular to the customer's own connected devices.  But, with few exceptions, these data surges occurred spontaneously, with no obvious change to customer's viewing or streaming habits.  Moreover, many affected customers can actually monitor data usage through their router options (as we did), and clearly demonstrate a huge disparity between daily data counts logged by CC v. the respective routers numbers.  It now seems inescapable that the Company must be more proactive in righting wrongs, and not place the onus on customers first, but concede that bugs and gremlins continue to plague their data-counting SW, and declare it a top priority to sort out this ongoing issue.

After our experiences in October, we now check our account religiously every few days to monitor data usage assigned v. household viewing/streaming online hours actually logged.  Thankfully, no deviations noted, but remain vigilant.

Outside of the earlier Fall 2019 issue, there is currently no trend or consistency indicating an issue in metering, but rather these have all been unique issues per network requiring the subscriber to troubleshoot/review their network. That is based on each of the individual issues posted in this thread that I responded to and had our data team review and contact the customer with their findings.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@Mudgrousers wrote:

Well heck, our internet usage "jumped" November 2019, (doubled overnight) and I was sure our antique router had been bot-hacked south of the DOCSIS modem....but no.  After upgrading my router to modern and monitoring all internal usage after the modem for 7 days, I find that Xfinity puts my "usage" at 10X what actually passed through my router, as documented by my router reports......So a little research followed and this thread is not an uncommon one.  Must be the modem is hacked?  Also performed external port checks on this cable modem and it's as secure as they get.  What does that leave?  There could be an error in the billing system, and in fact no other explanation makes sense. 

@coles1 wrote:
Jessie helpfully locked the thread pertaining to this for being "off topic" after merging all relevant threads into the irrelevant terabyte thread.

I thought we should still have a place to discuss this ongoing problem. I took 20 pages of documentation into a store today and was told all they could do was charge me 70 dollars to send out a tech. Out of desperation I conceded.

Any thoughts? Anyone had any resolution yet? Some folks on Twitter seem to have made slight headway and had their accounts credited but aren't sure how to help since they seem to think they just got lucky.

In reviewing your account, I can see an uptick in data usage from October (693 gb) to November (1201 gb), not quite double but certainly a lot of data being used. 

Providing some additional information, background and tips below from our team that does the data overage reviews.

Customer owned devices
- One example are devices like Ubiquiti uNiFi, which our team most commonly sees as an issue with data usage. The device has an internal metering system along with a periodic speed test built into it. The speed test can accrue massive amounts of data usage without reporting to its own internal metering system because it’s part of its system functions, not a device using data even though it is using data. We report its usage because we monitor for all data traffic going to and from the modem/network, not per device connected to their network.

- The number and kinds of devices connected to your network matters. Suggestion is to log into your router to see and verify all the devices connected to your network" (very applicable with customer owned devices).

Metering System:
- Comcast does not have direct access into the metering system to the extent to be able to artificially input or output data usage results or information. Our metering system is regularly audited as well where information on it can be gathered from https://www.netforecast.com/.
It includes everything from the yearly audits to how the metering system works on a technical level. This is done third party outside of Comcast.

- The metering system is delayed by up to 24 hours. "I watched my meter and it went up by 100GB in the last 3 hours and I just booted up my computer for 15 minutes!" is not accurate - the metering timeframe is not 1:1 - its delayed because it needs to validate data and remove any data that we do not count towards the metering system. This includes things like firmware updates we push out and any other possible data we may push to the network for normal operations.

- Greatest opportunity with Windows 10 devices. Windows 10 has a built in data usage meter for its own data tracking per application/software used on the device for 30 days(Settings -> Network & Internet -> Data Usage tab).

- Similarly could be done for other devices, ex: “Go into Netflix settings and make sure that it pauses after not watching it for a while”, etc.

Overall:
There is no trend or consistency indicating an issue in metering, but rather these have all been unique issues per network requiring the subscriber to troubleshoot/review their network.

Common data users:
- Streaming devices left on even when TVs are turned off – continuously streaming and/or misconfigured settings on streaming devices
- Large file downloads for entertainment (video games, updates, locally downloaded movies/videos from online services, etc.) or business purposes (files of information/data for business needs, Data backups downloaded from or uploaded to, etc.)

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Keep getting charges for data overages

@dfinifrock wrote:

Have been dealing with overages for data since June 2019. I don't do anything with my computer except occ. emails and some google inquiries (never any videos etc) I have had Comcast for 15yrs and have always had the limited 5gb of data and never went over more than a dollar or two in 15yrs.  When I called customer service in July with $200 in overages she gave me the new Xfinity one with new remotes,boxes utube,netflix etc plus extra data all at a lower price than I had been paying. She forwarded the complaint to the secutity dept also. Fast forward to today (12/8/19) and I have spent 10hrs of my time trying to solve the issues. My service was disconected last week and the only number the phone would let me talk to was an auto pay and had to pay double what I owed just to get my phone working again. I'm a senior with no cell phone so very dangerous position to put a person living alone in.  I have talked to many depts and even high level people and their supervisors during my 10 hr phone quest and no one can help me including the person I just talked to today from the # listed on this forum. The 3 people before her actually hung up on me. I think they get frustrated and hang up as they don't know what to  tell me.  My friends told me a call a TV investigative team as they sometimes are about the only ones that can help people after they've done all they can do. Guess that might be my next step as I don't want this to wreck the upcoming holidays wondering if I I will have a phone etc in an emergency.  

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a credit to your account while our team researches your account further. I also reversed the recent late charges as a courtesy. 

In reviewing your account, I don't see any high speed data overages on your high speed data account in all of 2019. The highest data month was November at 439 gb, well under  1 TB.  You may be talking about data overages on your Xfinity Mobile phone? 

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Data Usage has doubled over the past month and a half

@hqduong wrote:

Am I the only one who suddenly see a massive increase in data usage? I have consistenly used under a TB for the last year and startin November I can use over 100GB in one day!

I'm suspecting it's Disney+ and there needs to be a resolution on this. 1TB is completely unusable in the world of 4k and offering 500Mbps internet!! 

Apologies for the issues and the experiences that you described above.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Data usage has double since moving from ATT to Xfinity

@mjohnson1760 wrote:

Over the past 2 months my data usage has doubled with no changing in my habits or new equipment. Xfinity has no answer except to tell me maybe I need to rent their router.

In reviewing your account, I can see steadily increasing data usage from August through December; 624 gb, 914 gb, 1118 gb and 1315 gb respectively.   

Customer owned devices

Metering System:
- Comcast does not have direct access into the metering system to the extent to be able to artificially input or output data usage results or information. Our metering system is regularly audited as well where information on it can be gathered from https://www.netforecast.com/.

Overall:

Common data users:

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Data usage **UPDATE***

@ComcastTeds ComcastTeds (Official Employee)

We genuinely appreciate your assistance and intervention with this matter. However, and I want to be very clear and respecteful.

We understand that Comcast contends that by renting their equipment they have a better ability to monitor usage. A router is a router. A modem is a modem. No one piece of equipment is exclusive to functionality, unless it is modified with exclusive features.

With that said, you have said here, and the Comcast Tech support on the phone had the same conversation with us that by using Comcast requipment we would receive better service. However, you must know, and I want to make this public....we called once and was told they could not see the sources of usage. We called back two hours later and spoke to a different tech support who "slipped" and told us what devices were using power.

Now I am not a conspiracy therorist, and I do not wish to cast Comcast in a bad light, but that example merely justifies why so many people here do not trust your company.

Futhermore, we switched away from Comcast Xfinity Mobile which seems to have helped the problem a bit. However, we monitor our usage daily. We are following every single tidbit of direction offered by you and Over Overages of Data page on your website. With that said, we will see.

Please consider the fact that any customer should be able to use any modem or router and receive fine outstanding service. No one should feel held hostage by using equipment that they believe violates their privacy or usage. We are following your guidelines to a "T".  When my router says 300 KB of usage a month and yours shows 1400 GB a month, something is wrong.

And it's not on our end. Just saying . . .

Thank you again for the credit and prompt response.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Data usage

@midtenner wrote:

@ComcastTeds ComcastTeds (Official Employee)

We genuinely appreciate your assistance and intervention with this matter. However, and I want to be very clear and respecteful.

We understand that Comcast contends that by renting their equipment they have a better ability to monitor usage. A router is a router. A modem is a modem. No one piece of equipment is exclusive to functionality, unless it is modified with exclusive features.

With that said, you have said here, and the Comcast Tech support on the phone had the same conversation with us that by using Comcast requipment we would receive better service. However, you must know, and I want to make this public....we called once and was told they could not see the sources of usage. We called back two hours later and spoke to a different tech support who "slipped" and told us what devices were using power.

Now I am not a conspiracy therorist, and I do not wish to cast Comcast in a bad light, but that example merely justifies why so many people here do not trust your company.

Futhermore, we switched away from Comcast Xfinity Mobile which seems to have helped the problem a bit. However, we monitor our usage daily. We are following every single tidbit of direction offered by you and Over Overages of Data page on your website. With that said, we will see.

Please consider the fact that any customer should be able to use any modem or router and receive fine outstanding service. No one should feel held hostage by using equipment that they believe violates their privacy or usage. We are following your guidelines to a "T".  When my router says 300 KB of usage a month and yours shows 1400 GB a month, something is wrong.

And it's not on our end. Just saying . . .

Thank you again for the credit and prompt response.

Apologies for any confusion we may have caused. Customers are free to bring their own routers and modems, many of our customers do that.

We have reduced insight into customer-owned devices by design and on purpose.
They are not our devices, but they are devices on your/our network. We have enough information to activate them and a few other things.

We certainly have more insight into Comcast-owned devices and can support-troubleshoot them. Our XFi app also allows our customers to have additional insight into our owned devices.

Our advanced technicians are able to "see" (at a very high level) some of the types of devices connected to your network and also some very limited details about those devices.

Based on my review of your account, it looks like you have been talking directly with our Service Policy Assurance team. They are really our experts on this.

In looking at your December data usage to date, six days have been under 5 gb/day. I do see four days around 15 gb/day and one day (12/9) is just above 30 gb. Actual data usage is not real-time and may be delayed up to 24 hours.

From what I can see, a rough estimate for December to date is about 115 gb.   

I do want to reiterate that each of the cases I have responded to in this thread have been reviewed by our Service Policy Assurance team.  They have determined that there is currently no trend or consistency indicating an issue in metering, but rather these have all been unique issues per network requiring the subscriber to troubleshoot/review their network.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@dfinifrock wrote:

I doin't think I can be getting overages from my mobile phone as I don't own one and never have. That was why I also posted that Comcast put me in a dangerous position by turning off my land line. I am a senior and would have no way to call anyone in case of an emergency.  To get my service back I had to pay over double what I owed and then found out in my conversation yesterday I was being charged a $50 charge to have my line reconnected. The person helping me said there was nothing he could do about that but he would transfer me to billing. Are you serious?!!! Now I have 11 hrs spent trying to fix my problem. Where should I send my bill for my time and unbelievable patience????

Apologies, I had one our data overage specialists contact you as that was what your original post was about in this thread.

It appears that you have not exceeded or come close to 1 TB a month with your high speed Internet data.   

We have recently credited the reactivation fees, late fees and also provided an additional credit for the inconvenience. Those credits will appear on your next cable statement and you can also view the credit online or on our app via My Account.  Please let me know if  there is still an issue with your phone service and we can get that addressed. 

Apologies for any confusion and thanks for your patience.     

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Alright I see I'm not alone, I'm seeing massive data usage, and we are an internet-active familiy, but our own tracking via monitoring of our TP-Link router is nowhere near what we are seeing in Comcast's tracking. Even when we were gone on vacation for a week it kept chugging along and somehow we used an additional 200gb (we do have a smart thermostat and sprinkler system, can't imagine it using anywhere near that data, and the router constantly shows these devices as using no data unless I'm logging in to change setting on them).

What, exactly, are we supposed to do about this? We cannot see any daily usage meters on xfinity, we've stopped streaming this month aside from evenings, no online gaming, our cameras are offline, no downloading of games (I moved to a Nintendo Switch with physical copies) and somehow we're still already at 500gb of usage for the month. We've been dinged for our 2 courtesty months already, I figured it may have been our Blink cameras or online gaming using the data but even with those all disconnected its running like crazy according to the website, we may have no choice but to find a competitor (and we don't want to, I prefer Xfinity's speed) if we literally can't even use our devices. 

Highlighted
Contributor

@Phillipk86

For kicks and a sanity check, take a peek at your cable modem settings. 

* Disable ICMP (no pings to your external IP address)

* Disable UPnP (It was a bad idea when it came out.....it's still a bad idea)

* Disable remote modem access, last thing you want is an external facing web server on a cable modem

Should be a firewall on it.  Although I trust the built in modem firewall about as far as I can throw my truck, make sure it's on.   If you are "port forwarding" to any internal machines, disable that unless you have that protected by "other means".

In my case,  I thought "normal streaming" usage was around 600GB/month since that's what I ended up with when my service started.   Turns out with a decent firewall, and adaptive firewalling with a couple of traps set, my streaming usage is really only around 200GB/month.  I'm using my own gear, not Xfinity.

Track it for a couple days, see if your usage looks different if you had any of the above enabled.  It's also not a bad idea to portscan your external IP address with a utility like nmap.  See if there is any open port, or any port that responds at all.  The response should be "filtered" on all ports, not open or closed.  Filtered means no response at all -- which is what you want unless you are specifically running a service and know what you're doing.

Highlighted
New Poster

Keep running out of data and don’t know why?

For several months my data usage was under 200 GB but the last two months it's been over the limit and I have no idea why?  My XFi app shows my iMac using 95% of the network although that may or may not be related to the data usage issue.  We are not streaming anything or downloading huge amounts of photos.  Any clues would be appreciated.  I've already run malware software on the iMac.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@Phillipk86 wrote:

Alright I see I'm not alone, I'm seeing massive data usage, and we are an internet-active familiy, but our own tracking via monitoring of our TP-Link router is nowhere near what we are seeing in Comcast's tracking. Even when we were gone on vacation for a week it kept chugging along and somehow we used an additional 200gb (we do have a smart thermostat and sprinkler system, can't imagine it using anywhere near that data, and the router constantly shows these devices as using no data unless I'm logging in to change setting on them).

What, exactly, are we supposed to do about this? We cannot see any daily usage meters on xfinity, we've stopped streaming this month aside from evenings, no online gaming, our cameras are offline, no downloading of games (I moved to a Nintendo Switch with physical copies) and somehow we're still already at 500gb of usage for the month. We've been dinged for our 2 courtesty months already, I figured it may have been our Blink cameras or online gaming using the data but even with those all disconnected its running like crazy according to the website, we may have no choice but to find a competitor (and we don't want to, I prefer Xfinity's speed) if we literally can't even use our devices. 

Customer owned devices

Metering System:

Overall:

Common data users:

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@flatlander3 Thanks for the tips! I will double-check all those settings when I get home. I am currently using a Motorola Surfboard (I think 6850), gateway but disabled the router function since it was pretty terrible. It's been a fairly long time since I've logged into the modem itself so I'll check and see any settings that, good or bad, were on by default. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Oh....one more thing. 

If you do find any ports that are open/closed, not filtered on your modem when you portscan it externally, it's not the end of the world.  Some "features" of the modem, you might not be able to turn off, but that can be worked around.

There's other "evil" on modems.  Netgear like mine?  Totally awful feature called readyshare.  It's trying to run some kind of file server service.  A cable modem, is not a file server and shouldn't try to be one.  That's just asking for problems.

See if there's a firmware update for it too.  US-CERT warnings include compromised modems frequently.  Maybe there's an update for a known exploit.  Can't hurt to check, but usually production support is 5 years.  After that, none of these companies care about exploits on old hardware.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Yes, I spoke to many Comcast people....explained the exact same thing.
Tho I do have streaming devices...only one is on at any time. If they are not in use...,they are iff snd not streaming. They’re first response was to come out and change the gateway....however.... noone ever set up the appointment to come out... everyone wanted to do the same trouble shooting instead of scheduling the appointment for the tech.
Per Comcast meters are 24 hrs behind so that means the 47gb if data on Dec 1 at 7am when all devices were off and we were sleeping is actually used dara from November. Not exactly right to be rolling used data from a previous month to the new month, especially if you don’t allow our unused data to roll over. At this point.. I’m still waiting for the appointment appointment for a technician to replace my gateway and check my lines.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Tho I do have streaming devices...only one is on at any time. If they are not in use...,they are off and not streaming. They’re first response was to come out and change the gateway....however.... noone ever set up the appointment to come out... everyone wanted to do the same trouble shooting instead of scheduling the appointment for the tech.
Per Comcast meters are 24 hrs behind so that means the 47gb if data on Dec 1 at 7am when all devices were off and we were sleeping is actually used dara from November. Not exactly right to be rolling used data from a previous month to the new month, especially if you don’t allow our unused data to roll over.
I have only the gateway, no router like netgear etc.
Also too many people have been having issues to it to be our fault. When I went into the hospital in November I turned all off. Also I have a habit of pausing everything thru the xfi app at night.
Anyways At this point.. I’m still waiting for the appointment appointment for a technician to replace my gateway and check my lines.
That was what Comcast wanted to do first to rule out issues with your equipment. So I wait.
BTW, my habits, streaming devices have not changed in a year. So if it was due to my devices, I would be over 1tb every month and I’m not, therefore something in your systems has changed.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@flatlander3 So I wasn't able to run the full diagnostics yet due to a lack of time, but there is potential this may have been a culprit, when I logged into the modem itself the firewall for IP4 was on low, and it appears there's a lot of baked-in exclusions I'll have to look into seeing any workarounds (ports are forced open for Yahoo messenger? The heck?). I'll have to monitor it for a week or so after upping the firewall protection (and running port scans and all that) to see if that was a potential issue.

I may be looking to replace the modem itself, it is about 8 years old (was an actual Motorola Surfboard before they become Arris, although now it looks like Motorola is making modems again?) Do you happen to have any recommendations for a replacement modem? Motorola as a whole I've had more luck with than Netgear products, I'm thinking Motorola MB8600 may be a positive replacement? I wish you could see what the firmware was like before you buy a product. I don't need a full 3.1 as I'm only at 175Mb down, but just thinking of longevity.

Highlighted
Contributor

@Phillipk86

For the modem, I really don't have much for recommendations. Pretty much, you want to pick one Xfinity says is an 'approved' modem, or they might not provision it for you.

Motorola. Netgear. Doesn't seem to matter much. 150 or 300Mbps? Meh. Best you're going to get for speed is the slowest hop between you and whatever server you are talking to. 30Mbps is probably about as good as you'll ever see on the 'weber-verse'.

For security, like I say. I don't trust any cable modem. All I want that to do is translate from coax, to ipv4/ipv6. I don't even want it to do wifi. Get a different wifi router or access point for that. A good setup includes a separate firewall on separate hardware. I use an old laptop running pfSense(free). 1 USB nic, and the built in ethernet port. Could be an old desktop with 2 ethernet ports. Goes like this:

internet → netgear cable router –> firewall –> Internal network wired |--> Wifi router on the inside

You can do Wifi in a DMZ (on the inside -- keep wifi devices in groups)  too to segregate steaming devices/smart TV's and anything else you may not trust very much, or things with firmware that you can't update that makes outside connections.

Nothing but the firewall touches the cable router, and it's a physical cable. The pfSense “out-of-the-box” setup will keep you out of trouble and it's a point and click interface with a web browser you can only get to on the internal network(configure it that way). You can go advanced and install “Snort”(free) for adaptive firewall rules, but you can always do that later on. Some other tricks too, but maybe another thread.

Anyway, that's how I'm doing it.  Seems effective.  Hope it helps.

Highlighted
New Poster

Data Cap

Why is there a surcharge after 1TB of data usage when it costs you ZERO? This makes it impossible for me to use 4K services from my Apple TV or streaming on my PC.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Data Cap

I am on the way of going over on the data cap once again. I hit the 50% data usage mark today. There is nothing else I can do. We never had an issue in 3 years prior to October. I am to the point of paying the early terminaiton fee. A representative from Chicago spoke with me, CSA, etc. I was informed my usage would be monitored by their team.

The only streaming happening in my house is YouTube TV and CrunchyRoll. This has been going on for the past 3 years. Our habits are the same and we have even lowered the amount of devices in the household. Our data usage has doubled in October, November, and now it looks to as well in December. I feel as if I am being scammed at this point.

I was suppose to have swapped over to the streaming service back in October but found out that all Samsung Displays 2015 or newer could not find the applcation. Therefore I was placed back onto my old plan. Firmware had to be applied to my boxes and they could not explain why. Since then my data keeps doubling. Why can I not get a response on how to fix the issue? Also I was told I could have unlimited data with the Xfinity modem. No, there is still a data cap of 1024 gb according to the website. No response from the representative.

Highlighted
New Poster

Unfortunately, I am also experiencing spikes in data usage. It is very unclear to me what to do or how to see details of where the data use is coming from. It has been going on for several months now. Our data use would tend to be somewhere around 500-600 GB per month. With no changes in our habits, we have been getting notified that we are coming close to (or exceeding) our data cap for at least the past 5-6 months. The strange part is that we will show around 700 GB one month (which is still unusually high for our household, but at least within reason compared to the norm). Then the next month, the data use seemingly skyrockets.

I am currently seeing that we have used 704 GB as of Dec 16, which is insane. I should also clarify that our common use has remained the same as always (video streaming, downloads, etc.). At the same time, I have also taken measures to pause activity on many devices that could consume a lot of data throughout this month. In reality, we should be seeing a reduction in data since, in that sense, our usage has gone down. 

I am fairly technically savvy, so I have continuously attempted to take measures to keep data usage at bay. This also means that I find the lack of transparency of the Comcast hardware and metrics a bit frustrating. If anyone from Comcast can help with my account to allow us to see more realistic numbers (and to avoid showing overages that should not exist), I would highly appreciate it. Thank you!

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Keep running out of data and don’t know why?

@Shonasmum1 wrote:

For several months my data usage was under 200 GB but the last two months it's been over the limit and I have no idea why?  My XFi app shows my iMac using 95% of the network although that may or may not be related to the data usage issue.  We are not streaming anything or downloading huge amounts of photos.  Any clues would be appreciated.  I've already run malware software on the iMac.

The data usage in October and November does seem quite high compared to earlier months.  

Customer owned devices

Metering System:
- Comcast does not have direct access into the metering system to the extent to be able to artificially input or output data usage results or information. Our metering system is regularly audited as well where information on it can be gathered from https://www.netforecast.com/.

- Greatest opportunity with Windows 10 devices. Windows 10 has a built in data usage meter for its own data tracking per application/software used on the device for 30 days(Settings -> Network & Internet -> Data Usage tab).

Overall:

Common data users:

Highlighted
Official Employee

@Rturner22131 wrote:
Tho I do have streaming devices...only one is on at any time. If they are not in use...,they are off and not streaming. They’re first response was to come out and change the gateway....however.... noone ever set up the appointment to come out... everyone wanted to do the same trouble shooting instead of scheduling the appointment for the tech.
Per Comcast meters are 24 hrs behind so that means the 47gb if data on Dec 1 at 7am when all devices were off and we were sleeping is actually used dara from November. Not exactly right to be rolling used data from a previous month to the new month, especially if you don’t allow our unused data to roll over.
I have only the gateway, no router like netgear etc.
Also too many people have been having issues to it to be our fault. When I went into the hospital in November I turned all off. Also I have a habit of pausing everything thru the xfi app at night.
Anyways At this point.. I’m still waiting for the appointment appointment for a technician to replace my gateway and check my lines.
That was what Comcast wanted to do first to rule out issues with your equipment. So I wait.
BTW, my habits, streaming devices have not changed in a year. So if it was due to my devices, I would be over 1tb every month and I’m not, therefore something in your systems has changed.

Apologies I'll have some one reach out to you to set up the technician appointment at a time that works for you. Thanks for your patience.    

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@ComcastTeds Our usage is still going strong even after upping our cable modem firewall, but we'll continue to monitor it now that's its the weekdays and we're not really even in the house for most of the day. However, I have a question, does the xfinity cable box use data that counts towards the caps? Because now that I think about it, our data usage started increasing dramatically after getting the X1 system (and there are lots of other quirks with it, like our remote batteries die every 5 days or so). We don't regularly use the streaming services on the box like Netflix, but not sure if other functions of the device (like DVR, regular cable channels, guides) may cause any data usage? Because we got the devices to decrease our internet usage since we used to only stream, but it's actually only gone up since getting cable.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Data Cap

@The_Schwartz wrote:

I am on the way of going over on the data cap once again. I hit the 50% data usage mark today. There is nothing else I can do. We never had an issue in 3 years prior to October. I am to the point of paying the early terminaiton fee. A representative from Chicago spoke with me, CSA, etc. I was informed my usage would be monitored by their team.

The only streaming happening in my house is YouTube TV and CrunchyRoll. This has been going on for the past 3 years. Our habits are the same and we have even lowered the amount of devices in the household. Our data usage has doubled in October, November, and now it looks to as well in December. I feel as if I am being scammed at this point.

I was suppose to have swapped over to the streaming service back in October but found out that all Samsung Displays 2015 or newer could not find the applcation. Therefore I was placed back onto my old plan. Firmware had to be applied to my boxes and they could not explain why. Since then my data keeps doubling. Why can I not get a response on how to fix the issue? Also I was told I could have unlimited data with the Xfinity modem. No, there is still a data cap of 1024 gb according to the website. No response from the representative.

Apologies. It looks like your data usage has been steadlily increasing:

June 537 gb
July 621 gb
August 853 gb 
September 796 gb 
October 1022 gb
November 1296 gb 

December month to date looks to be about 588 gb (estimated so far) which tracks closely to your October and November usage.  We will automatically provide you with an additional 50 gb of data for $10 once you exceed your monthly allowance of 1024 gb.

I have asked our Service Policy Assurance team to review your account and reach out to you again as a follow up.

If you wish to disconnect services, I will get the ETF waived. Just let me know.  

Customer owned devices

Metering System:

- Greatest opportunity with Windows 10 devices. Windows 10 has a built in data usage meter for its own data tracking per application/software used on the device for 30 days(Settings -> Network & Internet -> Data Usage tab).

Overall:

Common data users:

Highlighted
Official Employee

@Garebear wrote:

Unfortunately, I am also experiencing spikes in data usage. It is very unclear to me what to do or how to see details of where the data use is coming from. It has been going on for several months now. Our data use would tend to be somewhere around 500-600 GB per month. With no changes in our habits, we have been getting notified that we are coming close to (or exceeding) our data cap for at least the past 5-6 months. The strange part is that we will show around 700 GB one month (which is still unusually high for our household, but at least within reason compared to the norm). Then the next month, the data use seemingly skyrockets.

I am currently seeing that we have used 704 GB as of Dec 16, which is insane. I should also clarify that our common use has remained the same as always (video streaming, downloads, etc.). At the same time, I have also taken measures to pause activity on many devices that could consume a lot of data throughout this month. In reality, we should be seeing a reduction in data since, in that sense, our usage has gone down. 

I am fairly technically savvy, so I have continuously attempted to take measures to keep data usage at bay. This also means that I find the lack of transparency of the Comcast hardware and metrics a bit frustrating. If anyone from Comcast can help with my account to allow us to see more realistic numbers (and to avoid showing overages that should not exist), I would highly appreciate it. Thank you!

The data usage in November spiked at the end of the month if that helps you to track some of this down. 

On 11/29 the usage was about 280 gb. On 11/30, the usage was about 180 gb.  Actual data usage is not real-time and may be delayed up to 24 hours. The rest of November usage was under 100 gb per day. December usage to date is approximately 705 gb (average of 45 gb/day).  

We offer tools to help you track and manage your usage so there are never any surprises about how much data you use:

• Data Usage Meter in My Account - Monitor how much data you have used with our Data Usage Meter.
  • Xfinity My Account App - You can also monitor how much data you have used in our mobile app. (Download the Xfinity My Account app.)
  • Notifications - We will send you an 'in-browser' notice and an email letting you know when you approach, reach and exceed a terabyte. You can also elect to receive notifications at additional thresholds as well as set up mobile text notifications. Usage notifications will not be sent to customers who enroll in the Unlimited Data Option.
  • Data Plan Website - Summary of plan features and additional tools and tips related to the data plans. To visit, go to dataplan.xfinity.com.

Customer owned devices

Metering System:

Overall:

Common data users:

Highlighted
Official Employee

@RobertWy wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Marcusatx wrote:
The most data I’ve ever used in a single month was close to 700 gigs and for some reason I’m over the terabyte by 40 gigs the first five days in December. It’s absolutely impossible. Nothing has changed at the house.

In reviewing your account, I can see data usage from June through November averaged about 582 gb/month. The December usage spike appears to be around two days - December 2nd (550 gb) and December 3rd (450 gb) - if that helps you to track that down.  Please see earlier disclaimer around data usage metering delayed by 24 hours (it's not a "real time" data meter). 

I've asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly. Thanks for your patience.

It sure would be nice if we could see daily spikes of that magnitude so we could search for a cause

Monthly numbers don't warn us before we go over the limit.

The Xfinity My Account app will show you Month-To-Date Internet data usage and it is updated daily. Snapshot of My Account image below:  

Data usage My Account app.png 

We offer tools to help you track and manage your usage so there are never any surprises about how much data you use:

• Data Usage Meter in My Account - Monitor how much data you have used with our Data Usage Meter.
  • Xfinity My Account App - You can also monitor how much data you have used in our mobile app. (Download the Xfinity My Account app.)
  • Notifications - We will send you an 'in-browser' notice and an email letting you know when you approach, reach and exceed a terabyte. You can also elect to receive notifications at additional thresholds as well as set up mobile text notifications. Usage notifications will not be sent to customers who enroll in the Unlimited Data Option.
  • Data Plan Website - Summary of plan features and additional tools and tips related to the data plans. To visit, go to dataplan.xfinity.com.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@Phillipk86 wrote:

@ComcastTeds Our usage is still going strong even after upping our cable modem firewall, but we'll continue to monitor it now that's its the weekdays and we're not really even in the house for most of the day. However, I have a question, does the xfinity cable box use data that counts towards the caps? Because now that I think about it, our data usage started increasing dramatically after getting the X1 system (and there are lots of other quirks with it, like our remote batteries die every 5 days or so). We don't regularly use the streaming services on the box like Netflix, but not sure if other functions of the device (like DVR, regular cable channels, guides) may cause any data usage? Because we got the devices to decrease our internet usage since we used to only stream, but it's actually only gone up since getting cable.

The link below has some good info on X1 cable box and internet data usage:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-internet-data-usage-details

The easiest way to tell which features will count against your Internet data usage is to look for the Internet badge, which will appear in the program info.

Using the following X1 features will count against your monthly Internet data usage:

Highlighted
New Poster

I too have faced the same issue. All the Roku boxes are set on low data rate. We don't watch the high def streaming on Prime/Disney etc. only low quality 480p-720p shows.  Never had this problem on Sonic before. Only in the past 2-3 months have we seen this. Changing routers to one which can check data use of devices.  At the most we use 15GB-20GB/day.

'very disappointed with Comcast. Will most likely leave for another provider soon.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I am new to this thread only because I’m searching for why my data usage has skyrocketed in the past week or so. As I scroll through the hundreds of similar complaints over the past few months it is quite obvious that these are not individual problems, they are COMCAST PROBLEMS! As I’m sure everyone has noticed, there is a cookie cutter Comcast response stating something like “Were very sorry, we’ll credit your next bill, blah blah blah. Hey Comcast, why don’t you actually look into your internal data measurement tools to find out why this phenomenon is happening?
Highlighted
Official Employee

@75evo wrote:

I too have faced the same issue. All the Roku boxes are set on low data rate. We don't watch the high def streaming on Prime/Disney etc. only low quality 480p-720p shows.  Never had this problem on Sonic before. Only in the past 2-3 months have we seen this. Changing routers to one which can check data use of devices.  At the most we use 15GB-20GB/day.

'very disappointed with Comcast. Will most likely leave for another provider soon.

The monthly data usage on your account is fairly consistent over the past 6 months at just above or just under 1 TB/month; the exception being in July when usage is showing at 294 gb.  

Customer owned devices
- One example are devices like Ubiquiti uNiFi, which our team most commonly sees as an issue with data usage. The device has an internal metering system along with a periodic speed test built into it. The speed test can accrue massive amounts of data usage without reporting to its own internal metering system because it is part of its system functions, not a device using data even though it is using data. We report its usage because we monitor for all data traffic going to and from the modem/network, not per device connected to their network.

Metering System:

Overall:

Common data users:

Highlighted
Official Employee

@UnhappyData wrote:
I am new to this thread only because I’m searching for why my data usage has skyrocketed in the past week or so. As I scroll through the hundreds of similar complaints over the past few months it is quite obvious that these are not individual problems, they are COMCAST PROBLEMS! As I’m sure everyone has noticed, there is a cookie cutter Comcast response stating something like “Were very sorry, we’ll credit your next bill, blah blah blah. Hey Comcast, why don’t you actually look into your internal data measurement tools to find out why this phenomenon is happening?

The monthly data usage on your account has been under 350 gb/month over the past 6 months, well under 1 TB.  I don't see any data overage charges in the past 6 month either. 

I do see that in December there was a spike in usage outside the normal use pattern on or around 12/14 (750 gb used).  The metering system is delayed by up to 24 hours. "I watched my meter and it went up by 100GB in the last 3 hours and I just booted up my computer for 15 minutes!" is not accurate - the metering timeframe is not 1:1 - its delayed because it needs to validate data and remove any data that we do not count towards the metering system. This includes things like firmware updates we push out and any other possible data we may push to the network for normal operations.

I'll skip the usual set of the "blah, blah, blah" as it's posted in a few of the earlier responses, but there is some good stuff there including the accuracy of our data usage meter validated by a third-party, how we measure data and how you can keep an eye on your data usage.   I hope you take the time to review it.   

Highlighted
Contributor

@ComcastTeds 

Respectfully, you said to others above;

"The common trend topic is “there is no way I can use this much data”. While the number amount of data a customer can see on the meter is more than what they know to be using, doesn’t mean it isn’t being used."

Again, respecfully, thank you for that last sentence, which confirms what customers already know, and have been protesting here.  Regardless of what the meter says, the data usage numbers are not accurate. So what's the use of a meter, if the data amount being recorded is not accurate?

"While the number amount of data a customer can see on the meter is more than what they know to be using, doesn’t mean it isn’t being used."

So are we to understand from your statement that if a customer's router says 450 MGB for the month and Comcast's equipment says 1400 MGB for the month, we are expected  to accept Comcast's numbers unconditionally, because there is going to be ghost data used that we are not aware of? Really?

Again, and quite respectfully, no one should pay for data they did not use. Saying that we should accept an overage just because Comcast says so, and our equipment says otherwise, is unethical.

Surely, you mispoke. 😉

Highlighted
Official Employee

@midtenner wrote:

@ComcastTeds 

Respectfully, you said to others above;

"The common trend topic is “there is no way I can use this much data”. While the number amount of data a customer can see on the meter is more than what they know to be using, doesn’t mean it isn’t being used."

Again, respecfully, thank you for that last sentence, which confirms what customers already know, and have been protesting here.  Regardless of what the meter says, the data usage numbers are not accurate. So what's the use of a meter, if the data amount being recorded is not accurate?

"While the number amount of data a customer can see on the meter is more than what they know to be using, doesn’t mean it isn’t being used."

So are we to understand from your statement that if a customer's router says 450 MGB for the month and Comcast's equipment says 1400 MGB for the month, we are expected  to accept Comcast's numbers unconditionally, because there is going to be ghost data used that we are not aware of? Really?

Again, and quite respectfully, no one should pay for data they did not use. Saying that we should accept an overage just because Comcast says so, and our equipment says otherwise, is unethical.

Surely, you mispoke. 😉

Respectfully,  a Comcast Customer Security Assurance technician has made several attempts to contact you via the phone number listed on your account in order to address your specific data usage concerns.

Unfortunately, all attempts to reach you were unsuccessful.

Our technician verified that your modem is properly assigned and provisioned for your account and that the data usage recorded for the MAC address associated with your modem is correct. 

Our data meter is accurate and verified by an independent third party, below is background on that: 

Comcast does not have direct access into the metering system to the extent to be able to artificially input or output data usage results or information. Our metering system is regularly audited as well where information on it can be gathered from https://www.netforecast.com/.

We have provided several suggestions for you on how to check your devices and your network. We initially provided a goodwill credit and we also (as a courtesy) recently reversed the data overage charges on 11/15/19 and 12/15/19.  We have escalated your concern (and the same with any of the issues in this thread that I have responded to)  to our data specialists for their research and review.    

Common data users:

The above is the customer's responsibility. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Midtenner, I think that reference is to people who say things along the lines of: “(1) we can’t possibly use that much!”, “(2) our habits haven’t changed!”, “(3) data went up when were sleeping!”, or “(4) I used the data estimator and got a lower number!” 

For the first, well that’s just information-free, the second, how do you know they weren’t undercounting before?, the third is explained by the nature of the meter (ie the data that appeared on the meter while you were sleeping may have actually occurred in the prior 24 hours), and for the last, the estimator is only an ESTIMATOR, and also can only (roughly) ESTIMATE things that you know about and tell it about.

Let’s take the fourth one for example:  First of all, many things like video streaming data rates vary widely based on streaming service, streaming device, settings, and your TV. (For example, simply replacing an HD TV with a 4K TV in some cases causes much larger data streams with no other human interaction beside simply replacing the TV.)  Even at the same basic quality level, streaming vendors vary greatly and even different source materials from the same vendor will vary. 

Even more importantly, the estimator doesn’t know about every way to use internet data and you may not even know what you have that is using data.  For example, just this morning I was looking at an image editing application so I browsed their support forum to see what problems people were having.  To my surprise, I found that a “feature” that bugged a lot of users was that this paid image editing software kept interrupting people with advertisements and the advertisements happened both when you used the software and even when you don’t!  And of course, where do these ads come from?  The internet of course. So, here is a paid app, seemingly unrelated to the internet at all, that actually constantly accesses internet data without any involvement from the user.  This is just one of MANY ways that you can be accessing the internet without even thinking about it or possibly even knowing about it.  The amount this particular application uses is probably not great, but it’s just one example of how many things are happy to use your data without asking you or informing you.

As for what routers say – depends on the router.  Several routers are known for having buggy data counters and one brand of router counts data that YOU generate, but the router itself automatically does its own quality of service benchmarking in the background and it doesn’t add the data IT uses to the data YOU use!  Xfinity on the other hand makes no exception for the data your router uses all by itself.   It's an annoyingly complicated world sometimes.

Highlighted
Contributor

@ComcastTeds

You said above:  Respectfully, a Comcast Customer Security Assurance technician has made several attempts to contact you via the phone number listed on your account in order to address your specific data usage concerns.

Unfortunately, all attempts to reach you were unsuccessful.

ComcastTEDS - allow me to share publicly what we just told the Better Business Bureau in response to Comcast's statment, which you simpily cloned here. Your statement above is inaccurate. We have the name and contact information of the ONE AND ONLY Comcast Security Technician that reached out to us and worked with us, professionally, to resolve our issue. Your comment here is bogus. Improprieties such as those displayed by Comcast staff serves no purpose than to further damage customer relations. Very disappointing.

+++++++Better Business Bureau requested a response from us. We issued the following statement 12.17.2019 in response to Comcast's assertion that we were not willing to work with them.*****

Comcast’s response states: “A Comcast Customer Security Assurance technician made several attempts to contact Mr. Yoko to advise him of the above information.  Unfortunately, all attempts were unsuccessful.  The technician verified that Mr. Yoko’s modem is properly assigned and provisioned for his account and that the data usage recorded for the MAC address associated with Mr. Yoko’s modem is correct.  The technician left a message with his direct contact information should Mr. Yoko have further questions regarding this matter.”

Respectfully, the above statement is grossly inaccurate and misleading. A Security Assurance Technician DID reach out to us several times and WE SPOKE WITH HIM EVERY TIME HE CALLED US. When he left a message, we responded promptly. It was our desire to have this matter resolved. We have his name and direct contact information if Comcast would like correct their obviously defective record-keeping. In fact, all the phone calls were “recorded for quality assurance purposes” each time. Apparently, Comcast just confirmed here that they have a “quality assurance” problem in how they treat their customers. How unprofessional to disparage a customer who is seeking your help with a problem.

Much of the information that Comcast offers in this above response is cookie-cutter and does not apply to our situation. We are not the only Comcast customer with this complaint. In fact, if anyone reading this message goes to the Comcast Community Forum at this link, you will read pages of complaints, all with the same issue.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Unusually-high-data-usage-megathread/td-p/3265624

We appreciate the credit and removing lates charges, which we refused to pay until this matter was resolved.

At this time, we monitor our data usage daily, screen shot router and monitor logs online, maintain a log of usage and compare with Comcast’s data numbers. Data is data regardless of whose equipment you are using. We still contend that if Comcast’s numbers are accurate, regardless if the router and modem is customer-owned or Comcast-owned, the numbers should be the same.

Thank you, BBB, for your assistance. We consider this matter resolved with one exception.  We ask that Comcast correct their statement about us being unresponsive. Technician Ray knows better.

<end>

Highlighted
Contributor

@ComcastTeds 

As for our account, we consider this matter resolved. We will make no further comments here or offer support others. This experience has been quite disconcerting.

However, we do respectfully request , and strongly advise, that you cease and desist from misrepresenting us and our particular case in your comments. In fact, we expect a public apology here for misrespresenting us by stating that Comcast technicians made several attempts and we were unresponsive. That statement is grossly inaccurate.

We have phone logs and time stamps to prove that we did work with ONE and only ONE tech person, who was kind, thoughtful and very professionaly, unlike your comments here. We have his name and direct phone number as proof.

This is very disappointing that a company would stoop so low as to cast doubt on customer's integrity.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@midtenner wrote:

@ComcastTeds 

As for our account, we consider this matter resolved. We will make no further comments here or offer support others. This experience has been quite disconcerting.

However, we do respectfully request , and strongly advise, that you cease and desist from misrepresenting us and our particular case in your comments. In fact, we expect a public apology here for misrespresenting us by stating that Comcast technicians made several attempts and we were unresponsive. That statement is grossly inaccurate.

We have phone logs and time stamps to prove that we did work with ONE and only ONE tech person, who was kind, thoughtful and very professionaly, unlike your comments here. We have his name and direct phone number as proof.

This is very disappointing that a company would stoop so low as to cast doubt on customer's integrity.

My sincere apologies to you, I was given incorrect information from our team regarding the non- contact. I'm glad that you were able to speak to someone on our data team about your situation. 

Apologies again.  

Highlighted
Official Employee

@midtenner wrote:

@ComcastTeds

Y

Much of the information that Comcast offers in this above response is cookie-cutter and does not apply to our situation. We are not the only Comcast customer with this complaint. In fact, if anyone reading this message goes to the Comcast Community Forum at this link, you will read pages of complaints, all with the same issue.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Unusually-high-data-usage-megathread/td-p/3265624

To clarify - in regards to the above, that initial issue was a confirmed and acknowledged event in the Fall of 2019 that was identified, corrected and resolved. It was acknowldeged in this thread in October.  That specific issue impacted a very small number of our customers (less than 2,000) .

Once it was raised here (and in other places), the right teams investigated, we owned that issue, we apologized publicly and then we worked with impacted customers directly to make it right. 

From the Fall issue: "While updating our data usage meter to a new system, a software error occurred resulting in a small number of our customers being billed incorrectly. We're very sorry for inconveniencing our customers and here's what we're doing to address it: We fixed the technical issue, we're proactively crediting the accounts affected, and we're giving those customers an additional $50 credit to make it right".

Our teams have investigated subsequent individual issues posted here and have not seen a common thread or pattern. If they do, we will own it and work to make it right - as we have done in the past. 

Highlighted
Contributor

@ComcastTeds 

Thank you. We are done here.

Highlighted
New Poster

Unusually high usage.

I've been doing the same stuff since before I cut off my cable side of Comcast and supposedly am using 2-3x as much data as I was before. None of the habits have changed we use the xfinity stream beta app which we were told by a Comcast rep that would not eat up our GB usage. Your system keeps saying I using 20-30 GB average a day when no one is home more than half the time. I would like an explanation. I purchased my own router 2 years ago and never had issues until we cut our cable. And no I would not like to rent a router from you guys. @Comcast