coles1's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

Monday, September 30th, 2019 11:00 AM

Closed

Unusually high data usage megathread

Jessie helpfully locked the thread pertaining to this for being "off topic" after merging all relevant threads into the irrelevant terabyte thread.

I thought we should still have a place to discuss this ongoing problem. I took 20 pages of documentation into a store today and was told all they could do was charge me 70 dollars to send out a tech. Out of desperation I conceded.

Any thoughts? Anyone had any resolution yet? Some folks on Twitter seem to have made slight headway and had their accounts credited but aren't sure how to help since they seem to think they just got lucky.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

41 Messages

5 years ago

Posted data-counting discrepancy elsewhere, but to summarize, bogus counting began exactly on 1st of October, when new "speed upgrade" started for our download tier.  So, my question is: for all customers here who had their counters reset by Comcast, was this done following calls to Customer Service, or by Comcast unprompted?

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

5 years ago

Past 24 hours we have only used 8 GBs per the counter which seems much more in line with what I would imagine my household does.  Prior to that, they were clocking me for 25-30 GBs per day.    I guess checking the counter will be a daily ritual going forward. 

Contributor

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

No calls to Comcast, just posted here and checked my bill and got the credit.

Still need to call to get my courtsey month back.

PG&E power and Comcast is back here, PG&E power shutdown was a mess here in California 

Contributor

• 

41 Messages

5 years ago

@johnn2 wrote:

PG&E power and Comcast is back here, PG&E power shutdown was a mess here in California 

Thank for your comments...guess we'll just wait and see.  The CC data-counter is registering exactly  30 GB/day, regardless of how much or how little we stream, e.g. 210GB @ day 7, 300GB at day 10, 330GB @ day 11, etc.  So at this rate we'll have clocked 930GB for the month of October, just below the 1024GB overage number...what a s**tshow.

Contributor

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

25GB used since the Oct 1st.

It's back to our normal usage, never exceeded 360 for a month ever.

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

5 years ago

I've called in twice and was transferred to the security team in the Philippines.  Really just trying to get an explanation of what is using what but could get no solid answers.  They reset my September usage which was about 530 GB.   I wanted to reset October because they claim I used 120 GBs on Oct 5 which I don't think is possible. 

The problem is you can't really tell what is going on because they say the data can have up to a 24 hour delay. 

Just got dinged for 12 GBs between 5 PM and 10:20 PM.  Daughter streamed 2 1 hour shows on Netflix at medium quality.  That is it.  

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

My September usage about 1800gb has been removed and October counter was reset and now seems to be reading correctly. However, I haven't received any credit and haven't received my courtesy month back yet. I'm still hoping and waiting that Comcast is still working on fixing things for those of us that had this problem.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Last night was the last date of the billing cycle. I had checked my app and it said it was 990gb used. I had all of my devices in my house unplugged and even unplugged my modem and router. By 10pm it spiked to 1026/1024 available and got the 100% notification. 

This has to be rigged on their end. It took my last courtesy month away from me when I was trying to prevent it from happening, but it did it on it's own. Something doesn't sound right here and it feels like bank fees all over again being injected to take advantage of customers that don't know any better. There is no possible way 40 gigs of data was transmitted between the time I unplugged to the point I got the notification. This is very suspisious.

Contributor

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

ComcastTeds

Official Employee
‎10-09-2019 02:08 PM

Re: Internet usage

Apologies all for the issue and the experience that many have described above. Thanks for posting many details here, that was very helpful in having our teams research this issue.

While updating our data usage meter to a new system, a software error occurred resulting in a small number of our customers being billed incorrectly.

We're very sorry for inconveniencing our customers and here's what we're doing to address it: We fixed the technical issue, we're proactively crediting the accounts affected, and we're giving those customers an additional $50 credit to make it right.

Impacted customers have been identified.  We are working to identify customers that may have purchased xFi or unlimited data as a direct result of this error.  

I am an   Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership.  We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!

0 Likes

Contributor

• 

393 Messages

5 years ago

If you're just using the standard Comcast meter, it says it may not include data in the last 24 hours, so when you unplug for a few hours, you don't really know which (if any) data is from those few hours and which is from the 24 hours that preceded that.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

5 years ago

@ZackMarsh87 wrote:

Last night was the last date of the billing cycle. I had checked my app and it said it was 990gb used. I had all of my devices in my house unplugged and even unplugged my modem and router. By 10pm it spiked to 1026/1024 available and got the 100% notification. 

This has to be rigged on their end. It took my last courtesy month away from me when I was trying to prevent it from happening, but it did it on it's own. Something doesn't sound right here and it feels like bank fees all over again being injected to take advantage of customers that don't know any better. There is no possible way 40 gigs of data was transmitted between the time I unplugged to the point I got the notification. This is very suspisious.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described. I have escalated your specific issue to a few colleagues who will review and get back to you.  As a matter of good faith, I have applied a credit to your account. You will see that credit on your next printed statement and this also can be seen tomorrow via My Account online. Thanks for your patience.     

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

5 years ago

@OZ_hamster wrote:

@johnn2 wrote:

Thank for your comments...guess we'll just wait and see.  The CC data-counter is registering exactly  30 GB/day, regardless of how much or how little we stream, e.g. 210GB @ day 7, 300GB at day 10, 330GB @ day 11, etc.  So at this rate we'll have clocked 930GB for the month of October, just below the 1024GB overage number...what a s**tshow.

Apologies for the issue and the experience. I do see a credit recently placed on your account for this. Thanks for your patience. It will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

5 years ago

@Tester5 wrote:
My September usage about 1800gb has been removed and October counter was reset and now seems to be reading correctly. However, I haven't received any credit and haven't received my courtesy month back yet. I'm still hoping and waiting that Comcast is still working on fixing things for those of us that had this problem.

Apologies. I do see a credit placed on your account for this in October. Thanks for your patience. It will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit  online via My Account.      

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

5 years ago

@cbell2112 wrote:

I've called in twice and was transferred to the security team in the Philippines.  Really just trying to get an explanation of what is using what but could get no solid answers.  They reset my September usage which was about 530 GB.   I wanted to reset October because they claim I used 120 GBs on Oct 5 which I don't think is possible. 

The problem is you can't really tell what is going on because they say the data can have up to a 24 hour delay. 

Just got dinged for 12 GBs between 5 PM and 10:20 PM.  Daughter streamed 2 1 hour shows on Netflix at medium quality.  That is it.  

Apologies for the issue and the experience.  I do see a credit recently placed on your account for this. Thanks for your patience. It will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

22 Messages

5 years ago

Showed 962gb for month of October in terms of data usage,   don't believe streamed that much this month as far as i know

Son tends to watch Xfinity On Demand which shouldn't affect the cap,  a little youtube here and there,  Myself a little Youtube, email checking, and such,    PC's have been scanned by my son with Avast Free Antivirus,  Malwarebytes Free as well, and emisoft emergency kit, and no infections found at all.     

Son even went as far as clean install his system as he was using Windows Defender in September, and decided to make sure his system was really clean,  a little bit of data used then, probably 80gbs-100 something gigabyte for all his games, and PC updates and such.      

Am using our own netgear c7100v modem

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here