somegeek's profile

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

Monday, March 9th, 2020 7:00 PM

Closed

Gigabit service running at 600Mbps... Multiple calls (details)

3/13/19 - TL;DR - This morning at 600. I used the xFi App to issue a restart to my modem and I'm back at 950. Hope Tier 3 folks can find out why my connection package is being set to a lower speed. Curious how long this will stay at 950 as well.

3/12/20 - TL;DR - xfinity was autoprovisioning my modem for the 400Mbps tier even though my account has reflected the 1000Mbps teir for over a week.  This has been escalated to tier 3 support.  Today's Post 

I ordered 1000Mbps service... the modem showed up, I installed it, activated it, changed to bridge mode... I was only getting 600Mbps via https://speedtest.xfinity.com/.

I have a newly built gaming PC hardwired to my router -> modem.  No issues transfering at 1gig between my machines on my LAN.  My speedtests to xfinity have been up to 950 at times but not solid... story follows...

Ticket #1 - I called in, was on for probably and hour going through the dialogue/troubleshooting... eventually after all the stuff we tried, the tech pushed an 'advanced config' to my modem and after a restart I was at 950Mbps.

Ticket #2 - few days later - same issue - stuck at 600Mbps - call in - 30 minutes of dialogue and was then assured the tech will fix all issues. They told me that my gigabit service was not yet activated... even though they shipped me a modem, I activated it and was at 950Mbps prior. They told me that 30 minutes later, I should be good after they were going to make some changes. I was not good later on... still at 600Mbps.

Ticket #3 - I called in again and explained everything that's happened so far, they ran a few tests... at that time they scheduled a dispatch.

Tech visit - He proved out all coax from my modem location to the curb. All levels good, running clean.  He even put on a pad to fine tune to get me closer to the middle of the acceptable range. He put his xfinity speed test device on the modem and only hit 600Mbps.  At that time, the tech swapped to another modem he had in his truck(same model as the other) and with his test set hit 950Mbps.

All good...

Forward three days... new modem, running at 600Mbps....

Ticket #4 - Chatted with someone... explained all of the above. They told me they'd escalate to level 2 and if I got disconnected, they'd call me back.... they didn't call back.

Ticket #5 - I called back in and they had no record of that call 15 minutes ago.  They told me I had the wrong modem... even though they provided it. Was on for over 1.5 hours and asked for a manager...  spoke with a supervisor... he verified everything looks good config-wise and said I have a Technicolor modem CGM4140 and that I should try their Arris EG1682G to see if the different modem fixes it... both are used for XFINITY XB6 it sounds like? A tech is coming out tomorrow to swap modems.

Anyone ran in to this 600Mbps issue and had it resolved permanently?

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

4 years ago

Has anyone had faster speeds if they just buy there own modem ?

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

4 years ago

@chris_guay wrote:
It seemed that the speed dropped as soon as I connected the orbi .... does the xfi router in bridge mode run slower??

Not for me.  I switch to bridge mode and I'm still at 950.  Using a UniFi USG w/ 1000Gbps LAN connections throughout.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Same issue with 600 mbps circuit, supervisor said it says on xfinity speeds up to 600. So i asked what is the bare minimum which is acceptable bu xfinity and he said 300 mbps. He also said your speeds should fluctuate from 300 to 600 mbps. I asked his wording in writen and he failed to provide as it is in their database. So my plan is call them every month and get half refund on monthly charges and the supervisor also agreed to that.

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

4 years ago

@Xxx4420 wrote:
Same issue with 600 mbps circuit, supervisor said it says on xfinity speeds up to 600. So i asked what is the bare minimum which is acceptable bu xfinity and he said 300 mbps. He also said your speeds should fluctuate from 300 to 600 mbps. I asked his wording in writen and he failed to provide as it is in their database. So my plan is call them every month and get half refund on monthly charges and the supervisor also agreed to that.

Chatting with xfinity support via DM in Twitter works well too since you can scroll up and see all chat that's transpired.

This morning my connection was back at 600Mbps. Yesterday it was at 950 in the afternoon and evening after the tech was here and a new config was pushed. This morning it's at 600 again. I switched the modem back to router mode(from bridge mode) so the xFi Android App could reach it to issue a restart to my modem and I'm back at 950. Hope Tier 3 folks can find out why my connection package is being set to a lower speed at night. Curious how long this will stay at 950 as well.

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

When you restart / reactivate using the phone app does it leave it in bridge mode?

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

4 years ago

@scott3667 wrote:

When you restart / reactivate using the phone app does it leave it in bridge mode?

Corrected my post.  I had to switch back to router mode so the xfi app could reload my modem.  Else I got an error message in the app stating I was in bridge mode and it could not reach my modem in bridge mode.

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

The issue I was experiencing was only in bridge mode.  I could put it back to router mode and restart it myself by unplugging the power cable and it would go back to 950... and then as soon as putting it into Bridge it would be 600 again.

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

4 years ago

This is good to know!  I'm back in bridge mode and at 950.  I expect it to drop to 600 tonight.  If so, will set to router mode tomorrow to reload via the xfi app and leave it in router mode to see how long it stays at 950.

Contributor

• 

35 Messages

4 years ago

I'm having the same issues.  I'm only getting 600 speed, but I'm paying for 1Gb.

I just had a line tech come out and checked my modem.  He said it's like I'm on the wrong plan.  He went to go get me a new modem, but hasn't returned yet.  It's been over 2 hours now.

My friend is also having this issue.  He took it out of bridge mode and his speed went down to 200Mb.   He went back to bridge mode and he's back at 600Mb.

They need to update their phone center and technicians to this problem if it is indeed a firmware issue.

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

4 years ago

@somegeek wrote:

This is good to know!  I'm back in bridge mode and at 950.  I expect it to drop to 600 tonight.  If so, will set to router mode tomorrow to reload via the xfi app and leave it in router mode to see how long it stays at 950.

Odd - I'm pretty sure I was in bridge mode last night.  In router mode this morning and at 950.  Will change to bridge mode tonight.

Contributor

• 

35 Messages

4 years ago

So I had a great tech out yesterday.  My modem was locked out... Couldn't get into it at all.  It was also stuck in bridge mode.  They did a factory reset.  In router mode I'm over 900.  Put it in bridge mode and it won't let any equipment connect to it.  Put it back in router mode and I have full speed again. 

This morning I was getting over 900 still.  Went out in the elements and came back this afternoon.  Some tests over 900 and others above 850.  Seems to be a lot better.   We shall see how long it lasts.

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

4 years ago

I swear they do this on purpose.
If I BUY a new modem ( recommendations?) Will it go back to 950+Mbps ? (What I am paying for) class action lawsuit maybe in the works....?

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

4 years ago

They don't do this on purpose, I believe they have some kind of auto provisioning going on that pushes the wrong config to our devices. still trying to nail down the behavior of it being in bridge mode and changing overnight to a lower speed.

Expert

• 

2.1K Messages

4 years ago

Not necessarily.

If you’re still getting the normal upload, then it’s not a provisioning issue. It’s a firmware issue. In reality, if you’re just bridging the gateway and turning it into a modem, why not just buy your own?

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

4 years ago

@jweaver0312 wrote:
Not necessarily.

If you’re still getting the normal upload, then it’s not a provisioning issue. It’s a firmware issue. In reality, if you’re just bridging the gateway and turning it into a modem, why not just buy your own?

Do you know how their systems work to know this with certainty?  The tech said a boot file for a slower speed service was pushed to my modem.

With unlimited caps, if you buy your own, you need to pay more to use it.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here