somegeek's profile

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

Monday, March 9th, 2020 7:00 PM

Closed

Gigabit service running at 600Mbps... Multiple calls (details)

3/13/19 - TL;DR - This morning at 600. I used the xFi App to issue a restart to my modem and I'm back at 950. Hope Tier 3 folks can find out why my connection package is being set to a lower speed. Curious how long this will stay at 950 as well.

3/12/20 - TL;DR - xfinity was autoprovisioning my modem for the 400Mbps tier even though my account has reflected the 1000Mbps teir for over a week.  This has been escalated to tier 3 support.  Today's Post 

I ordered 1000Mbps service... the modem showed up, I installed it, activated it, changed to bridge mode... I was only getting 600Mbps via https://speedtest.xfinity.com/.

I have a newly built gaming PC hardwired to my router -> modem.  No issues transfering at 1gig between my machines on my LAN.  My speedtests to xfinity have been up to 950 at times but not solid... story follows...

Ticket #1 - I called in, was on for probably and hour going through the dialogue/troubleshooting... eventually after all the stuff we tried, the tech pushed an 'advanced config' to my modem and after a restart I was at 950Mbps.

Ticket #2 - few days later - same issue - stuck at 600Mbps - call in - 30 minutes of dialogue and was then assured the tech will fix all issues. They told me that my gigabit service was not yet activated... even though they shipped me a modem, I activated it and was at 950Mbps prior. They told me that 30 minutes later, I should be good after they were going to make some changes. I was not good later on... still at 600Mbps.

Ticket #3 - I called in again and explained everything that's happened so far, they ran a few tests... at that time they scheduled a dispatch.

Tech visit - He proved out all coax from my modem location to the curb. All levels good, running clean.  He even put on a pad to fine tune to get me closer to the middle of the acceptable range. He put his xfinity speed test device on the modem and only hit 600Mbps.  At that time, the tech swapped to another modem he had in his truck(same model as the other) and with his test set hit 950Mbps.

All good...

Forward three days... new modem, running at 600Mbps....

Ticket #4 - Chatted with someone... explained all of the above. They told me they'd escalate to level 2 and if I got disconnected, they'd call me back.... they didn't call back.

Ticket #5 - I called back in and they had no record of that call 15 minutes ago.  They told me I had the wrong modem... even though they provided it. Was on for over 1.5 hours and asked for a manager...  spoke with a supervisor... he verified everything looks good config-wise and said I have a Technicolor modem CGM4140 and that I should try their Arris EG1682G to see if the different modem fixes it... both are used for XFINITY XB6 it sounds like? A tech is coming out tomorrow to swap modems.

Anyone ran in to this 600Mbps issue and had it resolved permanently?

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

5 years ago

This is some kind of bug with the comcast gateway/router.  I went through 3 and all had the same issue.  Just talked with my friend in Georgia, exact same issue.  Bridge mode, getting 550~650 max.

I switched to my own modem and now it's fine, but he can't do that because he needs the unlimited data you get with the comcast box.

Its some bug the box / new firmware or something they did recently.   Was using the CGM4140COM

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

5 years ago

A Comcast chat rep just told me there's a Arris tg3482g, maybe that works.

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

5 years ago

I looked up details on the Arris you posted about, it's actually the TG1682G  not EG.  It is only Docsis 3.0 not 3.1, so it will not get gigabit speed.  Not sure why they are having you try that out.

I found comcast actually has a new XB7 box the Model Numbers: TG3482G and CGM4140COM  or   CGM4331COM if you have  Gigabit  service.">CGM4331, but this reviewer seems to have the same issue with in February it randomly went from gigabit to 500~600 tops.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/why-comcast%E2%80%99s-new-wi-fi-6-router-fails-i-spent-three-days-testing-it-121796

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

Wrong modem config being auto-pushed...

So another tech came out, verified all physical cabling. He was seeing between 450-500Mbps on his test set. Turns out a 400Mbps tier config was pushed to my modem even though I'm paying for and configured for 1000Mbps service on my account.  He suspects something with auto-provisioning is messed up and automating the push of the wrong config to my modem.  He put a new modem on and then reprovisioned it and I'm at 950Mbps now which is perfect.  He said the old modem, when reprovisioned, would have shown 950 but wanted to eliminate one more thing.

He gave me his cell number in case I have issues since he's following up with engineering / Tier 3 support on this.  Stoked something was found!

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

@scott3667 wrote:

I'm curious to see how it goes after a day of being in bridge mode.  When my tech came out and swapped my gateway for a 3rd one, I was getting 1gbps and then something happened overnight and it was back to 550 in the morining.

I was wondering this as well.  I had the thought that if I dropped back down in speed, I'll run the reprovisioning on my end to see if it fixes it as a troubleshooting step.  And maybe run in router mode for a few days to see if that's stable as well.  I want to use my own router so don't want to double NAT so bridge mode is preferred.

The replaced it with the same model, CGM4140.

He said they don't have any XM7 deployed in this area and suspected they won't roll out for six months or so en-masse in this area.

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

5 years ago

I'm curious to see how it goes after a day of being in bridge mode.  When my tech came out and swapped my gateway for a 3rd one, I was getting 1gbps and then something happened overnight and it was back to 550 in the morining.

Did they put in another CGM4140 or did you get a tg3482g or Model Numbers: TG3482G and CGM4140COM  or   CGM4331COM if you have  Gigabit  service.">CGM4331?

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

Was your speed drop to 650 right after you changed to bridge mode or a day or two later?

I run fine at 950Mbps in bridged mode.  It's taken a day or two to drop me to the lower speeds.  Seems suspect that bridge mode is a variable but will be testing this diligently over the next week.

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

5 years ago

How are you doing the reprovisioning from your end?

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

There's an xFi app on your phone you can use to activate XB6 modem when it first shows up.  I'm curious to see if I can 'reactivate' it on my end to see how that affects this. 

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

5 years ago

Just purchased  the Orbi  RBR50 with 1 satellite  , put my comcast router in bridge mode , and I now am also running 620Mbs wired. Is xfinity throttling bandwidth if you don't use their router in non-bridge mode? 

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

5 years ago

It seemed that the speed dropped as soon as I connected the orbi .... does the xfi router in bridge mode run slower??

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

5 years ago

That was my experience.  Enabling bridge mode it would drop down to 550~650.  ONE TIME I was able to do a bunch of power cycles re-plugs and get 1gbps again in bridge mode, and it only lasted a few hours.  I went to sleep satisfied and woke up to it being down to 650 again.

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

5 years ago

That's what I did.  bit the bullet and spent $160 on a Docsis3.1 modem.  Solid 1gig ever since.

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

@chris_guay wrote:
Has anyone had faster speeds if they just buy there own modem ?

There's a charge if you use your own modem in my area for either unlimited or 1000Mbps service.  I forget which.

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

5 years ago

There's no "thumbs down" icon.....
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here