Ima's profile

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

Sunday, February 2nd, 2020 11:00 AM

Closed

Issues with MMS over WiFi for YEARS

I just switched to xfinity Mobile on December 6, 2019.  At that time, I asked if my phone, an unlocked Samsung S9+ was fully compatible with all services, and I was assured that it was.

I have noticed that MMS messages sent while Wi-Fi is enabled will not send.  The phone tries to send for over 5 minutes before it fails.  When I turn Wi-Fi OFF, the message sends immediately.

• First, I contacted xfinity support via Chat.  "John" told me that Android 10 was required to resolve the problem.  Later he admitted that the problem is with the xfinity mobile service.  He directed me to call Customer Care at (888) 936 4968.
  • I spoke with someone at Customer care who spent a significant amount of time with me, trying various options, all to no avail.  She spoke with a number of technicians who all advised her that this problem occurred when Android Pie was rolled out. (Android Pie was rolled out on August 6, 2018, or 545 days ago!)
  • I found that iPhone users are experiencing the same problem, since at least December 18, 2018, according to a thread I found on this forum.
  • I was told that xfinity is aware of this problem, but there is no estimated date for a solution.
  • Since there is a temporary "work-around", inconvenient as it may be (disabling Wi-Fi before sending an MMS message), I do not feel that this is a major issue.  However:
  • I specified that I believe that a credit should be applied to my bill for reduced service until the problem is resolved.
  • I requested a credit of $2 per month for  the next year.  
  • I was told that a monthly credit could not be applied, but I was given a one-time credit of $30.
  • I specified that it the problem persisted on Feb 01, 2021, I will request another credit

The credit I requested is inconsequential to me.  It is not about the money.  I want it to send a signal to xfinity that there is a problem with their service that must be corrected.  I encourage anyone who reads this and experiences the same issue to call customer care at (888) 936 4968 and request the same thing.

Please be certain to tell them that this request is for the long-time bug with their mobile phone MMS service over WiFi.  Perhaps, if enough of us do so, they will prioritize the fix with  their software.

Thank you.

Contributor

• 

44 Messages

4 years ago

I can't explain it technically but it has worked for me. I purchased the S9 about two years ago. Up until maybe July 2019 I was able to send/receive MMS without using any data. Then, after a Samsung update, I could not. Online forums suggested downloading Verizon Message+, so I did. I was then able to use MMS again without using ANY data--up until a day or so ago after another Samsung update.  I am back now to using the regular text message app on the phone, which I guess is the same one you are using.  It matters to me because I do not have unlimited data. I suspect Samsung/XM are making apps require data to increase revenue.

Contributor

• 

44 Messages

4 years ago

You are lucky! I want my S9 to send/receive MMS using NO data--neither wifi or cellular data, just through the regular cell phone plan. It has done so for months. Suddenly it requires either wifi or mobile data--after a Samsung a couple of days ago. I am really tired of this problem. I had to download Verizon Message+ a few months ago to obtain my desired result and now that does not even work. My goal is to send/receive MMS without using any data--wifi or otherwise. It worked for months--why has it failed?

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

4 years ago

Please explain how you expect to send MMS without using Cellular service or WiFi?

When I turn off Wi-Fi, it falls back to my cellular service.  It does not matter to me because I have the unlimited plan for $47/month.

I use Messages (V10.1.40.77) which is the default Android messaging app.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I totally understand your frustration and have repeatedly searched the web for a solution.  I was a Verizon customer for many years and never had to turn on Mobile Data or WiFi to send MMS.  In June I switched to Xfinity Mobile and purchased a S10+. At first with the default messaging app I was not able to send and receive MMS without turning on moble data.  Then I downloaded the Verzion Message+ app like I had before on my old phone and S6 and I was back in business and able to send and receive MMS without connecting to moble data or WiFi.  Then in December 2019 that ability was gone again.  And now the only way to send or receive pictures from my family is to turn on my mobile data.  And of course I have limited data and try not to use it at all.  I have read so many people's frustrations when calling either Xfinity or Samsung that I haven't even bothered with it and I've heard how each points the finger at the other as to the problem.  I have read some old forums from a few years ago that suggested a solution of creating a new APN but I haven't tried it and was wondering if anyone out here has. Also, when I opened up Xfinity Mobile's access point and looked at their settings I noticed that both Multimedia message proxy and port were "Not Set".  Not sure if that is something that should be explored.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated so I can get back to sharing photos with my family. Thanks!

Problem Solver

• 

749 Messages

4 years ago

SMS and MMS require a cellular connection or WiFi Calling connection to your carrier. If you were able to send a photo without either of these it was probably because your photo was actually sent using advanced messaging such as Verizon Messenger. 

I ran some tests on my iPhone and the results were:

1.) SMS requires a cellular connection or a WIFI Calling Connection

2.) MMS requires either:

a) Cellular ON AND Cellular Data ON, or

b.) A WiFi Calling Connection

This is the same for Verizon and AT&T and probably other carriers. 

CAUTION: XM WiFi Calling is a disaster and can cause dropped and failed calls if you have both WiFi Calling and Cellular service on at the same time. 

Do texts count as data?

Your text messages, both SMS and MMS, are covered in the unlimited nationwide texting that's included with all Xfinity Mobile lines. They do not count toward your data usage.

Contributor

• 

44 Messages

4 years ago

I just did a test, using my wife's Galaxy S9 which still has Android 9 OS--never updated to Android 10. My S9 updated to Android 10 around 2/1. My wife's S9 has no problem sending mms WITHOUT either wifi or mobile data turned on, and using the native message app. My S9 requires wifi or mobile data with the native message app and mobile data with Verizon Message +. This tells me that Android 10 (or some security update on my S9 and not on my wife's) is the culprit. I read where reverting from Android 10 to Android 9 is complicated and probably should not be attempted. So, the issue lies with Samsung/Android 10 and how it interfaces with the Verizon network which Xfinity Mobile uses. Can anyone at Xfinity Mobile intercede here and pursue with Samsung and Verizon? It appears none of us can get an answer from either. 

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

4 years ago

This is NOT a Samsung issue.  This is an Xfinity issue.  My girlfriend and I have identical phones, the S9+.  She uses Verizon (directly) as her carrier, and has no difficulty sending images via MMS while connected to WiFi.  My S9+ with Xfinity/Verizon cannot.  HOWEVER, I got the Android 10 update last evening.  I will try it again today.

While Xfinity would like to blame this on Samsung, it is DEFINITELY an issue with their implementation of their mobile service.

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

4 years ago

Just tested - *MY* issue has been resolved with the Android 10 update.  I am now able to send MMS messages over WiFi.  

I'll leave this topic unresolved for a few days to allow any additional comments.

Problem Solver

• 

749 Messages

4 years ago

@Ima wrote:

Just tested - *MY* issue has been resolved with the Android 10 update.  I am now able to send MMS messages over WiFi.  

I'll leave this topic unresolved for a few days to allow any additional comments.

Please don't further confuse people. Your problem was that you could not send MMS when you had WiFi turned on. That problem was fixed by the latest software update on your phone. Your MMS messages are not being sent over WiFi. 

Contributor

• 

44 Messages

4 years ago

Maybe I haven't been clear. 

From approx. 2/18 to approx. 7/19--My S9 could send/receive mms WITHOUT using wifi or mobile data, and using the native Samsung message app. 

Approx. 7/19, the native Samsung message app would no longer handle mms without using wifi or mobile data. At that time, I downloaded Verizon Message + and it handled mms WITHOUT using wifi or mobile data.

Approx. 2/1/20, Verizon Message + began to require mobile data--wouldn't even work with wifi. This problem coincided with my update to Android 10. The native Samsung message app will work with wifi but it does require wifi.

Approx. 8/18 my wife purchased an S9 using Xfinity Mobile. Her S9 has had few, if any, updates, as she seldom uses it. It is running Android 9 and It STILL handles mms WITHOUT requiring either wifi or mobile data.

So--it is NOT a carrier or network issue since my wife's S9 (Android 9) works great with mms using NO wifi or mobile data. My S9 requires wifi for mms, and it is running Android 10. In addition to the Android 10 vs. Android 9 issue, there have been some security updates on my S9 (from Knox, I think) that have not been made on my wife's S9, and these could also be the problem. Regardless, it has to be a Samsung issue unless Xfinity Mobile is sending these updates. 

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO USE MMS WITHOUT EITHER WIFI OR MOBILE DATA AS I DID FOR MANY MONTHS AND AS MY WIFE STILL CAN!

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

I have finally found my solution but it isn't a fix all. If I turn on airplane mode and leave it on along with re enabling wifi (wifi calling can stay on too) it will now send at home. I dont understand it but it worked for my S8+

Problem Solver

• 

749 Messages

4 years ago

@JCarruth130 wrote:
I have finally found my solution but it isn't a fix all. If I turn on airplane mode and leave it on along with re enabling wifi (wifi calling can stay on too) it will now send at home. I dont understand it but it worked for my S8+

YES - This is exactly what I said in my earlier post about using WiFi Calling to send MMS without data turned on. It works because it is indirectly connecting you to carrier's Calling/SMS/MMS cellular network servers and your carrier is not a able to tell whether you have your cellular data toggled on or off if you are on airplane mode.  WiFi Calling must be ON, not just WiFi, for this to work. 

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

On my S8+ using Verizon messaging, my phone has finally started sending mms again with wifi and wifi calling on and airplane mode off at home. The main thing i did was under advanced wifi settings i turned on the option to swit h to data when wifi is unstable. So far, so good!

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

4 years ago

@DaveO3 wrote

@Ima wrote:

Please don't further confuse people. Your problem was that you could not send MMS when you had WiFi turned on. That problem was fixed by the latest software update on your phone. Your MMS messages are not being sent over WiFi. 

@DaveO3:  I beg your pardon??

This is MY thread.  It is about MY issue.  Please don't further confuse people by changing the subject!

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

@Ima wrote:

@DaveO3 wrote

@Ima wrote:

@DaveO3:  I beg your pardon??

This is MY thread.  It is about MY issue.  Please don't further confuse people by changing the subject!

An update to Android 10 fixed your issue? Just wondering if you're running a Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ or S10, etc.

I have an S8 and my wife has an S9+. Both report being on Android 9, so if 10 fixes it, wondering if that's a controlled rollout for S9+'s, or if it will ever be available for anything "below" the S10-level, etc.

Thanks much!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here