Community Forum

netflix stutter

Official Employee

Re: netflix stutter

The request for you to send us a private message is not necessarily indicative of there being an issue with your account. We can see in this thread that there are several people in different areas experiencing similar trouble with the Netflix app on the X1 DVR. It's more to allow us to look at the necessary diagnostics that can contribute to this type of problem, confirm whether or not those issues are present and if not, open a service request as needed in order to allow further research and tracking of this issue. Thank you.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the clarification. So do I need to do anything else to get help with this? Call for service? Open a ticket? 

Regular Visitor

It's been happening for me ever since I got the service...about 2 months.

Official Employee

If you sent @ComcastChe a private message, she will help you out from there. Thank you. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

@ComcastChe- I went to a store to try and exchange for a 4k dvr but was told a technician had to come because a code had to be entered to activate it.

Does this sound right to you?

Official Employee

Hi, Bill2489. These boxes can be self installed. When we ship the box out, the code will be placed onto your account at that time. Did you try switching out the box at a service center? They don't always have them on inventory, it can be limited. 

Regular Visitor

I went to my local Comcast service center and exchanged my 1080 HD DVR for the 4K X1Gv4 DVR. It took a couple of minutes. I took it home, plugged it in, and it set itself up - including the TV controls with no issue. When it was done (took a while since there was a required update download first) I checked the Netflix issue... FIXED!   I'm network television editorthat deals with technical issues everyday. Now that I know the box change fixed the issue I'm fairly positive that the issue which started sometime in the 4th quarter of 2018 is the direct result of system software upgrades to accommodate 4K, and that the 1080 HD DVR's are having issues with the upgrade. It's a shame that Comcast/Xfinity (please decide on a single name) still responds that the issue being reported by customers around the country is not a known issue. 

Expert

@Discovery77 wrote:

I went to my local Comcast service center and exchanged my 1080 HD DVR for the 4K X1Gv4 DVR. It took a couple of minutes. I took it home, plugged it in, and it set itself up - including the TV controls with no issue. When it was done (took a while since there was a required update download first) I checked the Netflix issue... FIXED!   I'm network television editorthat deals with technical issues everyday. Now that I know the box change fixed the issue I'm fairly positive that the issue which started sometime in the 4th quarter of 2018 is the direct result of system software upgrades to accommodate 4K, and that the 1080 HD DVR's are having issues with the upgrade. It's a shame that Comcast/Xfinity (please decide on a single name) still responds that the issue being reported by customers around the country is not a known issue. 

For your second problem; I write my check either way (they prefer Comcast) and the check always get deposited in their banks.

As for the first; the company who makes the first 4K DVR (for Xfinity) resides out of the USA. Quality Control is lacking over there. Believe me! Comcast wants more than anyone to get these issues fixed for getting 4K/HDR working over IPV. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi, Discovery77. I appreciate your response and update. I do also understand where you're coming from on that. However, we have ran into several instances where people were experiencing these Netflix issues and having a technician out did in fact fix the problem for them. It is important to remember that the Netflix app on X1 provides a connection to the Netflix service, which is a third-party application. Comcast does not manage content on the Netflix platform nor does it manage the Netflix application itself. Our signal/connection to the Netflix service (which uses the internet service) is something we do have full control over and is why we check it in cases like this. This is why research requests and signal strength tests are extremely important, because it can help narrow down the issue and allow us to partner with Netflix for a further resolution, as needed. 

Most Valued Poster

Yep, I got the Netflix herky jerky's here on this end in VT as well.  The issue started around October.  It is a little bit better then it was but still annoying.  For the life of me I just don't understand why it takes Comcast so long to fix these issues.   It is obvious this is a system wide issue and not limited to just one area.  

If this is a result of software upgrades to accomodate 4K which I do not have or need, wlll I still need to upgrade my DVR to 4K capable to fix this issue?  Comcast please advise. 

Official Employee

Hi @TiredRetired

Thanks for posting to the forums. Before swapping boxes, I'd recommend allowing us to do some basic troubleshooting first. Yes, we have seen that that fixes the issue in some cases, but honestly, there may be a bigger cause for your problems.

I would first recommend refreshing the Netflix account through your cable box. If that doesn't help, send me a private message with your first and last name so I can then check your signals to see if they are out of spec because this could also be a contributing factor. There are also a few other things that we can check on the back end, before determining if you would need new equipment. 

If you'd like me to review your account, please send me a message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click send a message. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name, and the name of the account holder if it's different than yours.

Most Valued Poster

I clicked on your name but I do not see anywhere to click to send a PM.  

Official Employee

Can you check on the right side of the screen after clicking on my name? 

Most Valued Poster

Nothing there.   I guess I need to call customer service after the holidays if the issue does not resolve itself.  Thank you for your help.  

Official Employee

@TiredRetired

No need to call in, I'm going to reach out to my leadership to make sure your private messaging abilities are enabled. As long as you've signed in and have made a public post, you should be able to message us. I'll follow up once I received confirmation this feature is active for you. Thanks for your patience. 

Most Valued Poster

Thank you. 

@ComcastChe wrote:

@TiredRetired

No need to call in, I'm going to reach out to my leadership to make sure your private messaging abilities are enabled. As long as you've signed in and have made a public post, you should be able to message us. I'll follow up once I received confirmation this feature is active for you. Thanks for your patience. 

Official Employee

You're very welcome. I am just waiting for confirmation. 

Expert

adding... you have to be signed in to your account on the forum for the PM option to appear.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I too am having major stutter issues and it's quite annoying and unwatchable.
Frequent Visitor

I am really frustrated with Xfinity.  I have had the Netflix issue since I got the TV service.  I told them it wasn't an issue with my house but the insisted on sending a tech.  The tech finally swapped to the new 4K box which fixed the issue and made me happy.  Well now I see they charged me $70 for the darn tech to come out and fix their issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was after they charged my $70 (reduced to $30) after I complained about another service charge that was because they gave me a box still associated with another account that wouldn't activate.  I guess that one was my fault as well!

I love the Xfinity tech but going back to Directv is looking better and better every day.  I didn't have a billing issue with them in over 15 years.

Update:  After 30 minutes chatting with the Xfinity, they agreed to refund me the $70.  It seems that every time a tech comes out it is marked as "relocating internet" and they charge a $70 service fee!  That is all the more ironic considering I self installed the modem/router in the first place!

Regular Visitor

I am experiencing the same stuttering issue with Netflix app on dvr.  I also have Amazon Prime video and there is no stuttering on that app.  I live in Chicago area

Regular Contributor

Even though I don't have stutter on Netflix, I am hoping this will get resolved soon so that my stutter of music videos on Youtube (all 5 boxes) will presumably also get fixed.

Official Employee

If you are experiencing issues with Netflix, please send me a private message with your name so we can look into it. Please keep in mind that the Netflix app on X1 provides a connection to the Netflix service, which is a third-party application. Comcast does not manage content on the Netflix platform nor does it manage the Netflix application itself. We are in need of opening requests for tracking purposes on this issue.

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMorgan" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Thank you. 

Contributor

The connection is what’s at issue. Reminder that it also is happening with Acorn TV both on the X1 DVR box and on the web through Xfinity streaming site.
Official Employee

@Tooky61

Thanks for posting to the Xfinity Forum. I'd like to review your account to determine if the two issues with Netflix and Acorn are related or not. Please send me a message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click send a message. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name, and the name of the account holder if it's different than yours.

Contributor

Already did with Morgan.
Official Employee

Ok, great. I didn't see it at first and just wanted to make sure you're being assisted. ComcastMorgan will continue assisting you from here. Merry Christmas to you and your family. 

Contributor

Thank you. Merry Christmas to you and your family as well.
Most Valued Poster

I am having the Netflix stutter problem also.  We have X1 premium package and got Netflix  when they started offering it as part of a package upgrade we took advantage of a few months ago and all was well but lately the show  'jumps'   so I guess this is called stutter and its getting annoying. We don't lose content but scenes stop and start for a second or two constantly. This does not happen with anything else we watch  live/On Demand/DVR,etc. Reset the box but same thing keeps happening.   We don't use Netflix much as far as their orginal shows or movies yet so what I am reporthing is happening on past episodes of Blue Bloods and Law and Order SVU.  Happens when I chose one of those directly from Netflix or use regular  search and choose shows from episode list. Its really distracting. We have one settop box.

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

I am having the Netflix stutter problem also.  We have X1 premium package and got Netflix  when they started offering it as part of a package upgrade we took advantage of a few months ago and all was well but lately the show  'jumps'   so I guess this is called stutter and its getting annoying. We don't lose content but scenes stop and start for a second or two constantly. This does not happen with anything else we watch  live/On Demand/DVR,etc. Reset the box but same thing keeps happening.   We don't use Netflix much as far as their orginal shows or movies yet so what I am reporthing is happening on past episodes of Blue Bloods and Law and Order SVU.  Happens when I chose one of those directly from Netflix or use regular  search and choose shows from episode list. Its really distracting. We have one settop box.

Since I have Internet for high-speed broadband (DSL) from someone else besides Comcast I can't use X1 boxes, or 4K DVR. Just my Cisco RNG150N (HD box) for linear cable. I get all my apps for 1080P and higher resolution from my "smart tv" apps for IPV viewing. I list Xfinity for my provider when needed since I have linear cable with them.

If you have a "smart tv" or a separate box for IPV, you could do the same for now. The app for Netflix found there works fine.

Most Valued Poster

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Since I have Internet for high-speed broadband (DSL) from someone else besides Comcast I can't use X1 boxes, or 4K DVR. Just my Cisco RNG150N (HD box) for linear cable. I get all my apps for 1080P and higher resolution from my "smart tv" apps for IPV viewing. I list Xfinity for my provider when needed since I have linear cable with them.

If you have a "smart tv" or a separate box for IPV, you could do the same for now. The app for Netflix found there works fine.

==

I am not sure what you are trying to tell me to do. Are you saying I should get Netflix access from other than Comcast or buy another kind of box for access to Netflix? We have Comcast for phone/tv/internet/mobile and one box for X1. I sure am not going to spend money elsewhere. The Netflix shows should be smooth and  not skip/ be jumpy/stutter or whatever we want to call it. This just starting a couple of weeks ago.

Expert

TerryB:

I am just saying you are all ready paying for Netflix. If you had an alternative way to use the Netflix app over broadband you could use it that way. If you don't have that option I wouldn't spend any extra money. If not, you will just have to wait for Netflix and Comcast to fix the problem causing the app to work properely through Comcast.

Regular Visitor

Want to let everyone know that I installed a 4k dvr and it fixed the problem.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Thank you for providing an update, Bill2489. 

Most Valued Poster

@MNtundraRET wrote:

TerryB:

I am just saying you are all ready paying for Netflix. If you had an alternative way to use the Netflix app over broadband you could use it that way. If you don't have that option I wouldn't spend any extra money. If not, you will just have to wait for Netflix and Comcast to fix the problem causing the app to work properely through Comcast.

==

Just to clarify I do not pay Comcast one penny for Netflix. I got it as part of a package that replaced the one I had and it was actually cheaper and Netflix was included.  They took away WGN and my precious Blue Bloods repeats and I discovered I could watch Blue Bloods on Netflix and was so happy. Netflix is awkward to use and we probably would rarely use it if not for the network show reruns it provides from the networks Comcast took away from us like WGN. With all that is already offered I would never ever pay for Netflix or any other service on top of the already almost $200 I pay Comcast. Retired and POOR...lol.  Comcast just needs to get the app working properly AGAIN because its just awful so good thing I don't pay a penny for it. I doubt anything will be done if history repeats itself when somthing related to the platform breaks or gets taken away.

Most Valued Poster

@Bill2489 wrote:

Want to let everyone know that I installed a 4k dvr and it fixed the problem.

OMG.....no way I am going to lose all my recordings by replacing my box. It works 99.9% fine if in fact its whats causing the jumpy Netflix.

Official Employee

Hi, TerriB. We are working to sort out and resolve this problem. Please make sure you have manually reset the Netflix app through the box and if the issue persists, please send me a private message with your name.

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

Hi, TerriB. We are working to sort out and resolve this problem. Please make sure you have manually reset the Netflix app through the box and if the issue persists, please send me a private message with your name.

Have no way to reset just the Netflix app but have reset the entire platform more than once and Comcast also did it during the day on Monday which was odd.  I will PM you with name,etc

Official Employee

We have listed the steps for resetting the Netflix app itself earlier in this thread. Here they are: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/netflix-x1-app-frozen.

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

We have listed the steps for resetting the Netflix app itself earlier in this thread. Here they are: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/netflix-x1-app-frozen.

DIdn't see that before. I am getting ready to do it but it says its for Netflix when its frozen and our app is  not frozen but I will reset it anyway but I can practically guarantee it won't fix the scene jumping/stuttering

. FYI...this is what it says

What to do if the Netflix App on Xfinity X1 is Frozen

If the Netflix app on Xfinity X1 is frozen, please press the A button on your remote control, scroll to the right and select Reset Netflix.
Contributor

It will not work. I have done it numerous times.
Official Employee

Correct, but this has worked for several employees that were experiencing problems with Netflix through X1 and several customers. You can disregard the part about it mentioning the app being frozen, as it also helps with general app issues, similar to this one. 

Frequent Visitor

Same issue here. Only with Netflix
Official Employee

You're welcome to send me a private message with your name and best contact number, jjs89. I will open a research request for you. 

Frequent Visitor

Ok how do I send you a private message?
Regular Contributor

My main X1 DVR has been doing this for the past 8 weeks or so, maybe longer.  I have tried everything suggested on this thread aside of swapping out for a 4K DVR.  I just may end up doing this, but have communicated with a Comcast Rep in a PM first.  For the record, I am located in the NW suburbs of Chicago.

Official Employee

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMorgan" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Frequent Visitor

Same issue here: Netflix stream stutters on x1.

Dear Comcast official guy; please withdraw your comment about this not being a known problem. Post this problem on the hallowed "national" board if it is not already there - then it will be "known."

Or maybe search the web for it? Then it can be known to you too.

<Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Solicitation">

Frequent Visitor

How many customers have to complain before you make it a "known" issue?

MAKE IT A KNOWN ISSUE!

FYI: this post is the one that prompted, finally, a complaint to NYSAG. (Ask Charter/Spectrum how that works.)

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

Nothing has changed since I reset the app. Still stuttering but going to have to learn to deal with it I guess because it does not seem important enough for Comcast Technical to check into.

On another note.......the weather app takes a very long time to load since the UI change was made and I suspect its not the only app that has slowed to a crawl to load. The weather app also has a different look and we don't care for it one bit.