Spokane44's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 2:00 PM

Closed

Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box Availability

Called Xfinity and asked about the availability of XG1v4 cable boxes at my location (WA state), which has the capability to stream 4k content through Netflix.  Was assured, with repeated confirmations, that they were available to the local service store, would just have to bring in my existing cable box and exchange it.  Bought a nice LG OLED TV, upgraded my Netflix account to receive Ultra HD, and took my box down to the local service center for exchange, per customer service direction.  You can probably guess what happened next - "sorry, we don't have any 4k boxes, don't know when we will".  Anyone else been misled by the Xfinity garbage customer service?  Went online to see what lies they convey on their website regarding this matter, and found this:  https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/uhd-4k-faqs/   More misleading BS.  Wanted to warn anyone else potentially in the same situation as myself not to believe anything you are told or read about the availability of XG1v4 boxes; go to your service center first to confirm.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

75 Messages

7 years ago

Can the Pg buttons be used for skip forward and back? If so, is there a code to adjust those times? As far as the whole package, is it currently worth the effort to upgrade, or just not enough 4k content to justify at this time?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

7 years ago

To get 4K programing on Neflix would cost about $14/mo. + tax paid to Netflix. I don't find a way to test 4K programing on the Netflix app. Depending on what cable-box you currently have, the new box may raise your current monthly rate another $15. + a month too.

You Tube Red, and Amazon Prime app, both have sample programs or previews allowing someone to actually see 4K programing to assure your current UHD tv and broadband service can get the the 4K broadcast. I have no problems getting 4K from You Tube, or Amazon Prime app with DLS optical cable and less broadband speed than recommended by Comcast for Netflix 4K. Of course I was one of a handful to successfully use their "Ultra HD Sampler" app for all programing they ever loaded on the app, including Rio Olympics in HDR/4k. They recommended much more broadband speed in that case too.

My current plans are to stick with 4K apps using my Samsung 3D UHD television using DSL optical broadband and no need for Comcast equipment. I hope Netflix comes up with a way for us to actually test a 4K offering without the need to sign up and give credit card information before verifying a 4k broadcast will actually work for my setup.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

7 years ago

Rick:

It's nice to hear the 4k box works fine for you. It was nice to see your recent posts concerning the new cable-box. Finally a post from a knowledgeable user.

I have never felt the need for a DVR cable-box, so it would cost me more to switch right now. I can wait a while until they finally get 4K linear programing. I have many options for additional 4K over broadband. My Cisco RNG 150N box still works for me. Although; it requires a reset every month or two. It tends to lock up if the remote is not aimed directly at it.

Contributor

• 

70 Messages

7 years ago

I agree. Just replaced the V3 with the V4 box. Much quicker, I like the minimalistic design and the XR-15 remote is a nice upgrade. Glad to see Comcast take the lead on making these devices smaller.

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

7 years ago

I just got this box and love it. But have one issue that i need help with. When i try to set it to the best picture quality (uhd) a message pops up that says that i must be plugged into hdcp 2.2. All my hdmi ports are 2.2 so not sure what i am doing wrong.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

7 years ago

4K signals require a "4K HDMI" cable. It is higher speed and covers more frequencies. I purchased mine at Best Buy for about $20 on sale in 2016.

Are you using one for the connection between cable-box and tv?

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks MNtundraRET ,

I was using an older HDMI cable. Off to purchase a new HDMI 4K cable. Thanks so much!!~ 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

7 years ago

@greatbuys4less wrote:
I just got this box and love it. But have one issue that i need help with. When i try to set it to the best picture quality (uhd) a message pops up that says that i must be plugged into hdcp 2.2. All my hdmi ports are 2.2 so not sure what i am doing wrong.

Did you get a message regarding HDCP? or HDMI ? You didn't answer about if you were running right to the tv or using AV equipment. I would check that before buying amy new HDMI cables

A pretty good recent article that explains HDCP 2.2

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2017/10/23/upgrading-to-4k-hdr-tv-what-you-need-in-addition-to-a-4k-television/#4e8d6832dbd0

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

7 years ago

I am running HDMI cable directly from Cable box to tv. And yes I did get a message about HDCP needing to be 2.2 for ports. Thanks!

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

7 years ago

I changed to an 4K HDMI cable and it is working great! Thanks!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

7 years ago

Thank you for the reply. Please mark my earlier reply as solved.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

7 years ago

Those Monster cables tend to be a waste of money. How old is the cable? The cable might not be a 4k cable meeting specifications for passing a 4k signal.

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

I have the XG1V4 hooked to a Sony XBR 930D with a Monster HDMI cable and I can not get Netflix in 4K thru the Comcast app.  I do get Netfilx 4K thru the TV using the internet.  I do have the Premium Netflix package. I have tried different cables and HDMI ports without success.  Do you have any suggestions?

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

I checked and the HDMI port is set to Enhanced 4K.  I tried the Comcast supplied HDMI cable and it still does not work.  I guess my next step is to to get a new HDMI cable and try that.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

7 years ago

@ggibson864 wrote:

I have the XG1V4 hooked to a Sony XBR 930D with a Monster HDMI cable and I can not get Netflix in 4K thru the Comcast app.  I do get Netfilx 4K thru the TV using the internet.  I do have the Premium Netflix package. I have tried different cables and HDMI ports without success.  Do you have any suggestions?

I had a co-worker told me yesterday about an issue with a 4K Sony(unknown model) while installing the DVR. The Netflix wouldn't show up as 4K until he went into the Sony tv settings and had to set the HDMI port manually to 4K and then reset the DVR and all was good. Something to try.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here