Spokane44's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 2:00 PM

Closed

Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box Availability

Called Xfinity and asked about the availability of XG1v4 cable boxes at my location (WA state), which has the capability to stream 4k content through Netflix.  Was assured, with repeated confirmations, that they were available to the local service store, would just have to bring in my existing cable box and exchange it.  Bought a nice LG OLED TV, upgraded my Netflix account to receive Ultra HD, and took my box down to the local service center for exchange, per customer service direction.  You can probably guess what happened next - "sorry, we don't have any 4k boxes, don't know when we will".  Anyone else been misled by the Xfinity garbage customer service?  Went online to see what lies they convey on their website regarding this matter, and found this:  https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/uhd-4k-faqs/   More misleading BS.  Wanted to warn anyone else potentially in the same situation as myself not to believe anything you are told or read about the availability of XG1v4 boxes; go to your service center first to confirm.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Regular Contributor

• 

482 Messages

6 years ago

@Cydeweyz wrote:

@cldlhd wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

pgoldberg and cydeweyz,

Please provide the exact model numbers of the equipment you own (in particular your TV sets) and how everything is connected.

Lets see if either of you owns AV gear that qualifies you to even be able to participate in this conversation...

Maybe you're right, maybe you're not. I lean towards if it's digital AND signal is getting thru without interference it's just the placebo effect you're seeing. Although I can be tempted into getting better cables just in case. Who knowa maybe my gear isn't good eough to comment- I own an LG oled65b7a, a Yamaha Aventage receiver, a Ps4 Pro and have a Xg1v4-a. I ran audioquest cables but used the heaper Pearl.

Until he shows us video proof that Monster cables will produce a better picture than Monoprice Premium certified cables on an XG1v4 (or any HDR/Dolby Vision hardware of his choice if he chooses to go off-topic again), he's not right.

I'd say you'd have to put him in a room and do a test swapping cables multiple times and see if he gets it right.

Regular Contributor

• 

482 Messages

6 years ago

@RickGr4 wrote:

pgoldberg and cydeweyz,

Please provide the exact model numbers of the equipment you own (in particular your TV sets) and how everything is connected.

Lets see if either of you owns AV gear that qualifies you to even be able to participate in this conversation...

Maybe you're right, maybe you're not. I lean towards if it's digital AND signal is getting thru without interference it's just the placebo effect you're seeing. Although I can be tempted into getting better cables just in case. Who knowa maybe my gear isn't good eough to comment- I own an LG oled65b7a, a Yamaha Aventage receiver, a Ps4 Pro and have a Xg1v4-a. I ran audioquest cables but used the heaper Pearl.

Regular Contributor

• 

482 Messages

6 years ago

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@jolthammer wrote:

Yeah, I have a nice Sony ES Receiver, but it's 5 years old now. It has plenty of HDMI inputs, but the receiver doesn't pass a 4K signal.  Figured I could still use the receiver via Digital Audio for surround sound. Guess not.  Must be my set up.

Thanks everyone.  

Until around 2015 the newest AV receivers (I have Sony) were placed first in line. Cable system coaxial went to the A/V box. Everything else was connected by HDMI cables: TV, Blu-Ray player, game box, etc.

With good 4K smart tv's the cable-box is connected to the TV first with the newest HDMI 4K compliant cables. Then other devices are connected from tv with HDMI cables. I should have mentioned that HDMI port 4 on our hub is ARC for Sony or other S.S. systems running 5.1 or 7.1 speakers on that convention.

That's how I did it. Up until a couple of weeks ago I ran my hdmi cables to the receiver then had one hdmi going to the tv. Now the cable box and ps4 pro go right to the tv then use ARC over hdmi to the receiver.

Regular Contributor

• 

482 Messages

6 years ago

@RobertWy wrote:

I assume the a/v receiver cannont be used to receive an HDMI cable from the UHD DVR?  I use my a/v receiver for my blu-ray player and my XG1 DVR.  What is the make and model of your receiver?  When I get the UHD DVR I plan to replace my a/v receiver with one that supports UHD.

My receiver is only a few years old and is 4k capable bt would only do 2160p/30 not 2160p/60 from the cable box and wouldn't do 4k from my ps4. So I ran the new hdmi cables directly to the tv and send the audio to the receiver thru ARC.

Contributor

• 

75 Messages

6 years ago

@cldlhd wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

pgoldberg and cydeweyz,

Until he shows us video proof that Monster cables will produce a better picture than Monoprice Premium certified cables on an XG1v4 (or any HDR/Dolby Vision hardware of his choice if he chooses to go off-topic again), he's not right.

Regular Contributor

• 

482 Messages

6 years ago

@RickGr4 wrote:

Sorry folks but I have been through controlled tests where the differences in HDMI cables could both be seen and heard. The AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI cables I currently use made some very noteworthy improvements over the Monoprice "premium" cables I used previously.

There are many variables here. But experience of the user and quality of the associated audio/video gear are probably the two biggest along with the quality of the setup of the gear. We are not born with the ability to "judge" differences in picture and sound quality. It is a learned trait. As I have said many times, some people are born with better eyes and ears, but judging the differences in audio/video gear is learned.

Someone watching an X1 box on a middle of the line 65" Samsung, Sony or LG TV set that does not understand how to adjust the settings in today's TV sets simply are not seeing what I see. I sit eight to nine feet away from a properly calibrated 65" LG OLED using high quality cables and power conditioning. I have three different 4K/HDR sources along with the XG1V4 box. This may come as a surprise to many but the XG1V4 set to 1080p actually has pretty good picture quality. Best I have seen coming from an X1 box.

I realize that some people in this forum don't like my "style". I don't care. I freely offer information and advice in this forum. Maybe people should consider learning from what I have to say and not disagreeing with me simply because they don't like my style... 

@cldlhd wrote:

@Cydeweyz wrote:

@cldlhd wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

pgoldberg and cydeweyz,

I'd say you'd have to put him in a room and do a test swapping cables multiple times and see if he gets it right.

I have a 65" LG Oled as well and power conditioning as well thru my APC. Who calibrated your TV? 

Regular Contributor

• 

482 Messages

6 years ago

@RickGr4 wrote:

Sorry folks but I have been through controlled tests where the differences in HDMI cables could both be seen and heard. The AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI cables I currently use made some very noteworthy improvements over the Monoprice "premium" cables I used previously.

There are many variables here. But experience of the user and quality of the associated audio/video gear are probably the two biggest along with the quality of the setup of the gear. We are not born with the ability to "judge" differences in picture and sound quality. It is a learned trait. As I have said many times, some people are born with better eyes and ears, but judging the differences in audio/video gear is learned.

Someone watching an X1 box on a middle of the line 65" Samsung, Sony or LG TV set that does not understand how to adjust the settings in today's TV sets simply are not seeing what I see. I sit eight to nine feet away from a properly calibrated 65" LG OLED using high quality cables and power conditioning. I have three different 4K/HDR sources along with the XG1V4 box. This may come as a surprise to many but the XG1V4 set to 1080p actually has pretty good picture quality. Best I have seen coming from an X1 box.

I realize that some people in this forum don't like my "style". I don't care. I freely offer information and advice in this forum. Maybe people should consider learning from what I have to say and not disagreeing with me simply because they don't like my style... 

@cldlhd wrote:

@Cydeweyz wrote:

@cldlhd wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

pgoldberg and cydeweyz,

I never said you were right or wrong I just said I'd like to know your scientific method . I'm not going to just go by what you say automatically. To my mind you come off as another self declared expert.

Regular Contributor

• 

482 Messages

6 years ago

@RickGr4 wrote:

Self declared??? Actually I have quite a few audio/video industry certifications (CEDIA Certified Project Manager and Outreach Instructor for two).and I have attended literally hundreds of manufacturer sponsored training classes...

My method is A-B comparisons and my own practical experience. As I stated, I noticed numerous significant improvements the instant I swapped my "premium Monoprice" cables to Audioquest cables. Even my significant other noticed some the differences.

@cldlhd wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

@cldlhd wrote:

@Cydeweyz wrote:

@cldlhd wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

pgoldberg and cydeweyz,

I never said you were right or wrong I just said I'd like to know your scientific method . I'm not going to just go by what you say automatically. To my mind you come off as another self declared expert.

"manufacturer sponsored training classes " is a sales event. I'm not saying you don't have qualifications just that most of us out here aren't aware of them. If you knew which cables were connected when it's not a scientific test. People see what they want , if someone switched the cables 20 times without you knowing which was connected and you got it right 75% of the time or more I'd buy it. Either way less condescension would be helpful. It's not a "style" it's a lack of style....

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

6 years ago

Degraded thread closed for now. Take it to the PMs if you need to.

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I'm having the same difficulty getting one. Website says they are available.

Comcast person I talked to on website chat says to go to my local store, but doesn't have a phone number so I can make sure they have inventory first.

Take current X1 to the store. Wait a while, then I'm told they don't have them, don't know how to get them. They might be delayed because of connectivity issues.

Call the 800 number, I'm told they are not available yet, a lot of people are asking. Should be available January, if not before the end if the year, and I should get an alert, either on my TV, email, letter, or phone call possibly, once they are available.

I see several people on the forums that have them already.

I know there isn't much content available yet, but I'd like to be ready. It would be nice if everyone was on the same page regarding if/when these are available.

Official Employee

• 

11.1K Messages

6 years ago

Hi KevlarGibs -- I can help you get a 4K box. I am able to ship one to you. Please send me a PM with your account information for verification purposes and I'll have one sent to you. 

Click my name (ComcastZach) and click Private Message Me. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Hi, I would also like to get the 4K receiver. Are you able to order one for me as well? Thanks.

Official Employee

• 

11.1K Messages

6 years ago

mehul902001 -- I would be able to order one for you as well. I will need you to send me a PM with your account information for verification purposes please. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

I too called and talked to two phone reps who said it was available at local office. Also was told by chat tech it was available. So today I drive 30 min to the local office to be told no I was miss informed and that a tech will have to make a visit and it would cost 60 to have them come out. This is so frustrating and am not happy with the run around I was given. I would like to have one of the new boxes. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.3K Messages

6 years ago

Hi, bje2525 - Please don't private message moderators without a request. It's a violation of our Forums Policy and Guidelines. I received your information and submitted a request to ship you a new 4K DVR cable box. As soon as I get a tracking number, I will let you know. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here