Community Forum

XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

Contributor

Re: XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

Just an FYI, the last 3 days (with no changes on my end), everything has worked without issues.  Audio and Video at power on, no need to reboot the Xfinity box.  Not sure what happened in the last 3 days, the version information is showing the same as it did on 1/17 when i took a picture of it with the exception of the Environment.  On 1/17, it showed p5-rq, today it shows p6-tb.  All other versions, timestamps are exactly the same though.

Frequent Visitor

Can you please post a picture of your "about" screen that shows the version and other information? Thanks.
Frequent Visitor

Mine now says environment c5-m4. It used to say p5-rq. Do you think it means it may be fixed?
Contributor

Here is what mine says now
A0E73AC8-DF6D-4451-A6A9-E4A11F9AA3E1.jpeg
Frequent Visitor

My stb timestamp is November 21. Not sure what that even means. Thanks.
Expert

@Anon1464678 wrote:
My stb timestamp is November 21. Not sure what that even means. Thanks.

set top boxes are like computers in that they have an operating system that makes the hardware function. Comcast from time to time updates that OS that they call firmware.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

So the stb timestamp date is the date of the last firmware update? If that is the case, then what is happening every night when the box is updated?
Expert

@Anon1464678 wrote:
So the stb timestamp date is the date of the last firmware update? If that is the case, then what is happening every night when the box is updated?

it is the date and time of the version. the pushout takes several days, normally, and each will  have the same date. the overnight boot is typical reset of memory, update windows of the firmware updates and a reload of the menu system. The DVRs get their recording information updates. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Any update if/when the latest firmware update releases will that resolve the handshake issue ?

Contributor

Mine has not had the issues for about a week now. I posted above that the only thing that changed for me was the environment in my screen shot in a previous post.
New Poster

My daily reboots started when I bought the latest SONY 4K UHD, but because of the distance between the XG1V4 and the TV I had to install a INNEOS REAL 4K fiber adapter. Every morning (well, 9 out of 10 mornings maybe) the adapter will indicate no signal coming from the XG1V4 and a reboot is required, then the lights indicate HDMI 2.2 and all is well; until tomorrow. 

To eliminate the hassle of rebooting every morning I'm going to try something this week. I have ordered a "Belkin WeMo Insight Smart Plug" which apparently can be scheduled to turn on and off from the app (or alexa). I'm just going to set this to reboot the XG1V4 for me every morning. Although I still don't know if the XG1V4 loses the handshake ability after X number of hours or just overnight for some reason.

Seems that comcast could fix the problem by simply having the adapter do a self test every hour.

Expert

@vandenburg wrote:

My daily reboots started when I bought the latest SONY 4K UHD, but because of the distance between the XG1V4 and the TV I had to install a INNEOS REAL 4K fiber adapter. Every morning (well, 9 out of 10 mornings maybe) the adapter will indicate no signal coming from the XG1V4 and a reboot is required, then the lights indicate HDMI 2.2 and all is well; until tomorrow. 

To eliminate the hassle of rebooting every morning I'm going to try something this week. I have ordered a "Belkin WeMo Insight Smart Plug" which apparently can be scheduled to turn on and off from the app (or alexa). I'm just going to set this to reboot the XG1V4 for me every morning. Although I still don't know if the XG1V4 loses the handshake ability after X number of hours or just overnight for some reason.

Seems that comcast could fix the problem by simply having the adapter do a self test every hour.

instead of rebooting next time, use TV remote to change to another live HDMI port, then back to the DVR. does that make the connection work? is the coax live behind the TV?

Regular Visitor

I have the same problem that everyone else seems to be reporting in SEVERAL different threads now.

Changing input is not an option - have no other HDMI devices. Xfinity button then exit - simply does not work. Page up/down - doesn't work either.

My only fix is to unplug power every day. This is getting old fast!

I'm going to return the XG1v4 since no real solution seems to be in sight.

Regular Visitor

BTW, my TV is a UN55JU6400 (2015) so it does not have the HDMI UHD COLOR setting either.

Expert

@philabundance wrote:

BTW, my TV is a UN55JU6400 (2015) so it does not have the HDMI UHD COLOR setting either.

The HDMI UHD Color setting only came on the 120 Hz. televisions, starting with the 7000 series. Your television is 60 Hz.

Regular Visitor

Appreciate the info. That just means I have absolutely no way to fix this.

It’s a Comcast firmware problem.
Regular Visitor

I found that disabling HDMI CEC in my Vizio settings helped with the problem. However, every now and then when I turn my TV on I get a black screen with only sound resulting in me needing to reboot. Seems like I should just request an older box and finally be done with this.

New Poster

This problem continues.   I called Comcast 7 times. Two technicians on two different occasions checked out the wiring inside and oustide of the house - no fault.  The incoming singal is good.  They swapped out the DVR once.  Still the same problem.  I have identical DVR and TV at another residence in a different state - no problem there.  It must be a fault in local infrastructure.  Comcast does not help. 

Regular Visitor

I have had this problem for months. I have a Samsung, I’ve tried everything new cables new boxes and different settings. Nothing works to fix it. I have purchased and iHome plug and have it scheduled to turn the device off and on twice a day in the morning at 6am and in the afternoon at 3:30pm this way I have reduced the times of turning it on the black screen by having a smart plug do the constant restarting which is ridiculous.
Silver Problem Solver

@wvforu wrote:
I have had this problem for months. I have a Samsung, I’ve tried everything new cables new boxes and different settings. Nothing works to fix it. I have purchased and iHome plug and have it scheduled to turn the device off and on twice a day in the morning at 6am and in the afternoon at 3:30pm this way I have reduced the times of turning it on the black screen by having a smart plug do the constant restarting which is ridiculous.

Hmm.  If that is working, it sounds like you might have an electrical wiring issue.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Can you explain please why you suspect it is a wiring issue? 

Expert

@ahu1 wrote:

Can you explain please why you suspect it is a wiring issue? 

I don't think Robert understood your post was another way to currently deal with the "Handshake" issue between Comcast box and many UHD televisions.

You have no wiring issue. Smiley Wink

New Poster

That's what I thought., thanks. The iHome switch sounds like a workable temporary solution.  But I wish one Comcast employee would chime in with a status report some day!

Contributor

Ever since about 1/22 and the update I assume I received around that time our issues discontinued. I have not had to reboot the box at all for about a month now. Picture of version is posted above.
New Poster

So, I have the same exact issue. I haven’t had a tech come out yet for two reasons
1. When I called to schedule the appointment, after 15 minutes she still couldn’t open the software to schedule one.
2. Logically it has to be the box since this entire set up worked prior to it. If un-plugging or going online and restarting the box enables me to watch tv; the HDMI cables work.

Ultimately I want my old box back.
Let me know if ANYONE has any ideas.