chrism3's profile

Contributor

• 

53 Messages

Saturday, August 25th, 2018 7:00 PM

Closed

XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

After a recent move, we upgraded from our old X1 box to the new 4K "XG1v4-A" box to work with our Samsung 4K UHD television.

We immediately realized that our box was requiring a reboot every day. So, we've been unplugging the box and plugging it back in. I've contact Xfinity about this issue several times. No one over the phone has been able to help.

Xfinity tech support simply had me swap out my box for a new one (which they have to send via FedEx -- requiring me to drop off the old box to the Xfinity store).  This is the third box and I still have the same issue. 

So, Xfinity sent out a tech yesterday. We were also having some internet connectivity problems (intermittent loss of internet on all of our devices). He discovered that the splice was installed by the Xfinity installation guy incorrectly (or so he said). 

However, the tech was puzzled. He said that everything should be working. He then attempted to say that our "problem" was our television.

I explained that we have swapped to another TV that worked perfectly fine (trading my sister-in-law's for a few days). Our television worked perfectly fine at her house with Xfinity and her TV worked fine at our house using the same box and same HDMI cable.

I explained to the tech that this didn't happen with the old X1 box. It doesn't happen with anything else connected to the TV (e.g., Xbox One, Blu-ray, etc.). I've even swapped HDMI cords, switched HDMI inputs, etc. Each and every time, the problem is only with the new XG1v4 box. 

The tech then said that he thinks that the cable issue that he "fixed" might solve the issue. He left roughly 25 minutes after arriving and said that he would have someone follow-up with me in a couple of days.

Today, I turned everything on again....and have the same problem. 

My TV is a Samsung 4K UHD television.

My power save mode is OFF.

My HDMI cable is 2.0 compatible (and I've tried FIVE of them -- all with the same issue).

My TV's firmware is up-to-date.

Apparently, this is a known issue. There are quite a few threads on the Xfinity forums with many posters addressing this issue. For instance:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/XG1v4-requires-reboot/td-p/3025141

Doe anyone have a resolution? 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

Yes, I went through the same thing - 2 tech visits, and they both went over everything, but it didn't make a difference.

Contributor

• 

16 Messages

5 years ago

Today I returned the 4K box and got a regular DVR HD box. Everything is working normally. I have a Fire TV with lots of apps. I can get 4K content on Amazon Prime, Netflex, etc. If they ever fix the software issue or come out with a different 4K box, I'll give it a try.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

@CCKenF  Hi Ken, I tried to send you a private message as you requested but once clicking your name, I did not find an option on the next screen to send you a private message.

I have had this issue happening on every xfinity box in my house (total 4) since last May. I have to reboot every morning. None of my equipment has changed up to the time of this issue occuring. In my living room I do have a 4K large screen sony. I do have a sony audio reciever inbetween my primary xifinity box and my TV. I have read through this thread and made the recommended work around adjustments to my system and still have had no luck addressing this issue.

Since this issue started occuring back in May this year, I have been on crutches. Up until now, I have not been willing to debug this issue becuase my modem is upstairs in a closet, but I have been rebooting my primary xfinity box every day to maintain service. Back when the issue started occuring, I requested to move my service to 400 Mbps for internet and upgrade my cable package. At this time a new physical line drop was made at my house because the landscaper cut my line while digging. These are the changes that were made at that time and this issue has been occuring every since. Please let me know the best way to message you and I am happy to work through debugging this issue with your assistance.

Thank you,

Mark

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@ASB7985 wrote:

@CCKenF  Hi Ken, I tried to send you a private message as you requested but once clicking your name, I did not find an option on the next screen to send you a private message.

I have had this issue happening on every xfinity box in my house (total 4) since last May. I have to reboot every morning. None of my equipment has changed up to the time of this issue occuring. In my living room I do have a 4K large screen sony. I do have a sony audio reciever inbetween my primary xifinity box and my TV. I have read through this thread and made the recommended work around adjustments to my system and still have had no luck addressing this issue.

Since this issue started occuring back in May this year, I have been on crutches. Up until now, I have not been willing to debug this issue becuase my modem is upstairs in a closet, but I have been rebooting my primary xfinity box every day to maintain service. Back when the issue started occuring, I requested to move my service to 400 Mbps for internet and upgrade my cable package. At this time a new physical line drop was made at my house because the landscaper cut my line while digging. These are the changes that were made at that time and this issue has been occuring every since. Please let me know the best way to message you and I am happy to work through debugging this issue with your assistance.

Thank you,

Mark

at the top of the page (like where you are reading this) click on 'sign in'. once signed in the PM will work. this is same for the Kudo's thumbs up procedure.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you....got it!

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Hello @CCKenF 

I am having similar issues that are being described on this thread..... but they are not exactly the same.  My box often freezes (almost daily) requiring a reboot.  In addition to that, my onDemand almost never plays without a reboot.  I can choose a program and hit ply but nothing happens other than me getting a black screen.

Does this sound related to that handshake issue?  

Like many others on this thread, I have A Samsung 4K TV.  I think the TV model is UN55JS7000.  

I'm also not certain I have the XG1v$ cable box.  According to the Xfinity ap, mmy device model # is CXD01ANI.

I have been through MANY differnet boxes (maybe 10).  We have had MANY tech's come out (at least 5).  Comcast agents love sending Refresh signals, so we've had Comcast send a signal refresh at least 25 times.  This is in spite of the fact that:

a.  We always explain that is not the problem

b.  We always explain we are perfectly capable that we can use the ap to do it ourselves

c.  Almost always explain that we recently did it

We have been dealing with this for over a year.  For whatever reason, however, the problem is getting worse.  We now need to refresh our system multiple times in one day.

I am really hoping you can help, because the customer support agents who handle phone calls have clearly not been briefed on this issue (or anything like it).

Thank you!

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Hello ComcastKenF,

I am having similar issues that are being described on this thread..... but they are not exactly the same.  My box often freezes (almost daily) requiring a reboot.  In addition to that, my onDemand almost never plays without a reboot.  I can choose a program and hit ply but nothing happens other than me getting a black screen.

Does this sound related to that handshake issue?  

Like many others on this thread, I have A Samsung 4K TV.  I think the TV model is UN55JS7000.  

I'm also not certain I have the XG1v$ cable box.  According to the Xfinity ap, mmy device model # is CXD01ANI.

I have been through MANY differnet boxes (maybe 10).  We have had MANY tech's come out (at least 5).  Comcast agents love sending Refresh signals, so we've had Comcast send a signal refresh at least 25 times.  This is in spite of the fact that:

a.  We always explain that is not the problem

b.  We always explain we are perfectly capable that we can use the ap to do it ourselves

c.  Almost always explain that we recently did it

We have been dealing with this for over a year.  For whatever reason, however, the problem is getting worse.  We now need to refresh our system multiple times in one day.

I am really hoping you can help, because the customer support agents who handle phone calls have clearly not been briefed on this issue (or anything like it).

Thank you!

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

Hopefully this doesn't jinx me but.....

have not had to reboot in 4 weeks - even after 7 days away from home. I have changed nothing so maybe Comcast has fixed something and hasn't announced (quite possible) or maybe Samsung fixed something (also possible), anyway - just thought i'd mention this.

65 inch samsung ultra HD,  4K X1 box, Polk CommandBar Sound Bar.

HDMI from X1 box to TV,  HDMI from TV ARC to Polk SoundBar ARC .....love this TV & Soundbar.

Contributor

• 

16 Messages

5 years ago

@jp4120 wrote:

Hopefully this doesn't jinx me but.....

have not had to reboot in 4 weeks - even after 7 days away from home. I have changed nothing so maybe Comcast has fixed something and hasn't announced (quite possible) or maybe Samsung fixed something (also possible), anyway - just thought i'd mention this.

Sounds promising. If more users find that the issue may have been resolved, I'll try the 4K box again. But I'll wait awhile for others to pipe in. I don't want to waste time and effort to the same end.

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

This could be promising, especially since you've had no issues for 4 weeks.  Yesterday was the first day in ages I didn't need to reboot.  The day before our service was out while they were working on our lines.  Time will tell.

Frequent Visitor

• 

19 Messages

5 years ago

We have improvement also. For more than two weeks now, we had to reboot only once. I hope that this is permanent.

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

Now 6 weeks and counting -  have not needed to reboot due to the 4k box -  however.....

yesterday morning turned on the TV - nothing visibile for Comcast - blank screen - couldn't even find it on the source menu using the Samsung remote.  Of course i thought it was related to this issue so rebooted everything and then had to call our fav customer service line - and sit thru ads for redzone and wrestling PPV before i spoke to someone.....all things were fine.

So I switched my comcast HDMI connection into the Samsung TV from HDMI-1 to HDMI-2 - and Comcast connection worked fine.  I called Samsung customer service and they said do a cold reboot, leave the TV on and unplug, wait 30 secs, then re-connect......tried it today and HDMI-1 is now working again, if it fails again i may have Samsung come out - TV is covered for 5 years via Costco and its still in year 1 ...just thought i'd mention this as an FYI.

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

5 years ago

If it is a handshake issue, just disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable should force both ends to do it again and it should always work when both devices are already powered up and out of sleep mode.  After it worked in HDMI2, did you try moving it back to HDMI1? Or just a disconnect/reconnect on HDMI1?

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

Still disconnecting and reconnecting here on a daily basis and sometimes 2X a day. 

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

I have not tried this.  Will need to figure out how to do it, but I will.  Thanks for the suggestion.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here