chrism3's profile

Contributor

• 

53 Messages

Saturday, August 25th, 2018 7:00 PM

Closed

XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

After a recent move, we upgraded from our old X1 box to the new 4K "XG1v4-A" box to work with our Samsung 4K UHD television.

We immediately realized that our box was requiring a reboot every day. So, we've been unplugging the box and plugging it back in. I've contact Xfinity about this issue several times. No one over the phone has been able to help.

Xfinity tech support simply had me swap out my box for a new one (which they have to send via FedEx -- requiring me to drop off the old box to the Xfinity store).  This is the third box and I still have the same issue. 

So, Xfinity sent out a tech yesterday. We were also having some internet connectivity problems (intermittent loss of internet on all of our devices). He discovered that the splice was installed by the Xfinity installation guy incorrectly (or so he said). 

However, the tech was puzzled. He said that everything should be working. He then attempted to say that our "problem" was our television.

I explained that we have swapped to another TV that worked perfectly fine (trading my sister-in-law's for a few days). Our television worked perfectly fine at her house with Xfinity and her TV worked fine at our house using the same box and same HDMI cable.

I explained to the tech that this didn't happen with the old X1 box. It doesn't happen with anything else connected to the TV (e.g., Xbox One, Blu-ray, etc.). I've even swapped HDMI cords, switched HDMI inputs, etc. Each and every time, the problem is only with the new XG1v4 box. 

The tech then said that he thinks that the cable issue that he "fixed" might solve the issue. He left roughly 25 minutes after arriving and said that he would have someone follow-up with me in a couple of days.

Today, I turned everything on again....and have the same problem. 

My TV is a Samsung 4K UHD television.

My power save mode is OFF.

My HDMI cable is 2.0 compatible (and I've tried FIVE of them -- all with the same issue).

My TV's firmware is up-to-date.

Apparently, this is a known issue. There are quite a few threads on the Xfinity forums with many posters addressing this issue. For instance:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/XG1v4-requires-reboot/td-p/3025141

Doe anyone have a resolution? 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Turned the sleep mode to never. Still had to reboot cable box. 😩

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

@modonn10 wrote:
I’ve been having the same issue as well every day for the last few weeks. I need to toggle the HDMI inputs or unplug the HDMI cable once a day. Very frustrating. I have the TCL 6 series and tried everything... but the only thing that works is toggling the HDMI inputs. This did not happen the first few months I had the XG1v4 (with same tv), but has been happening recently. There must’ve been a software update to the box that is causing the HDMI handshake issue. Will they be able to fix this in a future update? Have they acknowledged the issue?

Go back a few pages in this thread to find the post or posts by ‘ComcastMorgan’, and send a Private Message.  He or she seems like a Comcast employee that is interested in helping.  Good luck to you.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I’ve been having the same issue as well every day for the last few weeks. I need to toggle the HDMI inputs or unplug the HDMI cable once a day. Very frustrating. I have the TCL 6 series and tried everything... but the only thing that works is toggling the HDMI inputs. This did not happen the first few months I had the XG1v4 (with same tv), but has been happening recently. There must’ve been a software update to the box that is causing the HDMI handshake issue. Will they be able to fix this in a future update? Have they acknowledged the issue?

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Hi!

I've been having the same daily reboot problem for months.  XG1v4 box and Samsung 4K TV.  Worked fine for most of a year.  Then the intermittent problem started.  All turn on normally some days punctuated by days of having to unplug the box and replug to get things going.  Box and TV not on ECO or auto-off.  Definitely seems like a handshake issue.

Advice??

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks!  What strikes me as odd is that the combination WORKED for about a year with no issues of this type.  Makes me really think firmware, as you'd noted.  A firmware "upgrade" that INTRODUCED the problem.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@CDM64 wrote:

Hi!

I've been having the same daily reboot problem for months.  XG1v4 box and Samsung 4K TV.  Worked fine for most of a year.  Then the intermittent problem started.  All turn on normally some days punctuated by days of having to unplug the box and replug to get things going.  Box and TV not on ECO or auto-off.  Definitely seems like a handshake issue.

Advice??

it is either a firmware (eventually fixable) or a hardware issue (probable v2 in future will fix and v1 might be fixed at repair center to version 2 if they go that way). since nothing has been said officially it appears to be hardware.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@CDM64 wrote:

Thanks!  What strikes me as odd is that the combination WORKED for about a year with no issues of this type.  Makes me really think firmware, as you'd noted.  A firmware "upgrade" that INTRODUCED the problem.

as a retired tech but not an engineer I have noticed posts that say their xg1v4 works fine never a problem when connected via HDMI to a sound bar or receiver and not directly to the TV. it is as if there is a difference. in HDMI parlance a TV's HDMI is a 'sink' (end of the video). perhaps their is a hardware or firmware issue related to a mismatch in specifications for signal when connected to the 'sink'. time will tell

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

Still happens to me 2 or 3 times a week, doesn't matter if the last thing i watch is netflix, youtube, prime or an regular Comcast cable channel.  New twist is that suddenly the comcast connection stops mid viewing - its not the samsung because the samsung native menue is still there, so its definitely our beloved comcast.  the only bright side to this nonsense is my wife may finally let me cut the cord and just pay comcast or verizon for internet and stop paying $240/mth aka $3000/yr.  If it was up to me i would hop from Verizon to Comcast and pay $60/mth intro rates for internet only...but that day is coming.  the fix is always the same - reboot the F-ING HD box.....i don't feel any  happier knowing this happens to others and those dopes still can't fix it.

65 inch samsung ultra HD,  4K X1 box, Polk CommandBar Sound Bar.

HDMI from X1 box to TV,  HDMI from TV ARC to Polk SoundBar ARC .....when it works its all the sound and video we need.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I have been having this same reboot issue for many months. After looking at this thread and one titled “XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem”, I decided to change my XG1V4 update setting time because there might be a problem with the XG1V4 box when it tries to update itself and reconnect at night when my TV is asleep.

I changed my XG1V4 “xfinity/Settings/Preferences/General/Daily Update Time” to “12:00-2:00a” so all updates would occur after I went to bed and before my TV went into sleep mode. It has been over two weeks now and I have not had any more problems. You might want to try this work around and see if it helps your situation.

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

will give that a try....why can't we get that type of tip from our beloved Comcast.....please post in 30 days cause i've had good 2 weeks then it comes back....

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

is it possible to connect the xg1v4 to a sound bar or receiver instead of the TV to see if the problem goes away?

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

I tried something on the 4th (a week ago)...in the external device settings on the Samsung 4K UHD/HDR TV; I turned off the UHD radio button.  Haven't had the X1 box 'fail' any morning since.  Perhaps just coincidence, but wondering.  And do have a very nice HDMI cable that is supposedly rated 4K UHD/HDR, so betting that's not the problem.  Fingers crossed!

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@CDM64 wrote:

I tried something on the 4th (a week ago)...in the external device settings on the Samsung 4K UHD/HDR TV; I turned off the UHD radio button.  Haven't had the X1 box 'fail' any morning since.  Perhaps just coincidence, but wondering.  And do have a very nice HDMI cable that is supposedly rated 4K UHD/HDR, so betting that's not the problem.  Fingers crossed!

with new firmware I am now on day 3 without a single 'no signal' issue. they may have fixed it or it is a coincidence.

edit: 8/13 day 5 still no 'no signal' issue. time will tell.

edit: 8/16 day 8 still working.  time seems to have ruled fixed.

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

give it 2 weeks before popping champagne but i am hopeful you have fixed it cause i have a Samsung also

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

So just to add onto this long list, I've also been having the same issue for the last few weeks. This never happened before this time and I have not changed my TV, Cable Box, HDMI cables or anything else so whatever firmware was pushed out seems to have caused the issue.

The only fix for me has been to either manually pull the power input out from the box and plug it back in or manually restart the box using the Xfinity app. 

I have a TCL series TV, the XG1v4 cable  box and Sonos Beam soundbar. The HDMI cable goes from the cable box to the TV and I have another HDMI cable from the TV ARC input going to the Sonos Beam.

My TCL TV defaults to the cable tv input and I didn't have a problem for the first year or so of having the box but in the past few weeks I have been seeing the dreaded "No Signal" message when I turn on the TV. 

Hopefully @ComcastMorgan  or @CCKenF or @CCElla  can help out. I'm naming them as I've seen them post recently in this thread.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here