chrism3's profile

Contributor

• 

53 Messages

Saturday, August 25th, 2018 7:00 PM

Closed

XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

After a recent move, we upgraded from our old X1 box to the new 4K "XG1v4-A" box to work with our Samsung 4K UHD television.

We immediately realized that our box was requiring a reboot every day. So, we've been unplugging the box and plugging it back in. I've contact Xfinity about this issue several times. No one over the phone has been able to help.

Xfinity tech support simply had me swap out my box for a new one (which they have to send via FedEx -- requiring me to drop off the old box to the Xfinity store).  This is the third box and I still have the same issue. 

So, Xfinity sent out a tech yesterday. We were also having some internet connectivity problems (intermittent loss of internet on all of our devices). He discovered that the splice was installed by the Xfinity installation guy incorrectly (or so he said). 

However, the tech was puzzled. He said that everything should be working. He then attempted to say that our "problem" was our television.

I explained that we have swapped to another TV that worked perfectly fine (trading my sister-in-law's for a few days). Our television worked perfectly fine at her house with Xfinity and her TV worked fine at our house using the same box and same HDMI cable.

I explained to the tech that this didn't happen with the old X1 box. It doesn't happen with anything else connected to the TV (e.g., Xbox One, Blu-ray, etc.). I've even swapped HDMI cords, switched HDMI inputs, etc. Each and every time, the problem is only with the new XG1v4 box. 

The tech then said that he thinks that the cable issue that he "fixed" might solve the issue. He left roughly 25 minutes after arriving and said that he would have someone follow-up with me in a couple of days.

Today, I turned everything on again....and have the same problem. 

My TV is a Samsung 4K UHD television.

My power save mode is OFF.

My HDMI cable is 2.0 compatible (and I've tried FIVE of them -- all with the same issue).

My TV's firmware is up-to-date.

Apparently, this is a known issue. There are quite a few threads on the Xfinity forums with many posters addressing this issue. For instance:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/XG1v4-requires-reboot/td-p/3025141

Doe anyone have a resolution? 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

we have the same issue  - about 2 or 3x per week the Comcast grid doesn't come on - TV still works for Amazon Prime, Netflex - bunch of Samsung channels that are generic but still the signal flows from the Comcast box so why can't Comcast identify the software/firmware bug that is stopping the full connection? it also happens occasionally while watching....you get the spinning circle of dots then the 'no signal from HDMI connection' message and requires an unplug and replug - 2 to 3 minute reboot cycle (which in itself is too long)

Comcast either has no clue on how to fix things (incompetence) or they don't care (indifference)? maybe the comcast guy that posts on here can tell me which one it is?

3 mth ol samsung 65 inch 4K tv - new comcast 1GB modem - new comcast 4k DVR box - polk audio command soundbar - orbi wireless system 

4K picture and sound via netflix, Amazon prime, youtube 4k is amazing

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I think I discovered the issue.  It’s your TVs power saving feature.   Ensure it is off.   My vizio has a “quick start” or an “eco mode”. The daily reboot of the x1 was required when in eco mode. But the quick start. I never have the issue.   I think when the tv is in that mode it shuts down devices after a certain time.. see if that helps

Frequent Visitor

• 

19 Messages

5 years ago

Vizio may be different.  Eco mode on my Samsung 4K TV has been off and I still have the reboot problem. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Has anyone found a fix to this issue? I, word for word, have had the EXACT same problem ever since moving and receiving the new box.

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

5 years ago

I have started using voice command to shut down the DVR then the next day after work I turn on my Vizio tv my Denon AVR and DVR all at one time using the remote and so far so good. It has been working.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Modidonna wrote:

I think I discovered the issue.  It’s your TVs power saving feature.   Ensure it is off.   My vizio has a “quick start” or an “eco mode”. The daily reboot of the x1 was required when in eco mode. But the quick start. I never have the issue.   I think when the tv is in that mode it shuts down devices after a certain time.. see if that helps

my 2 older vizio TVs don't have that feature. one is on a very new vizeo that has that feature and it not quick on in the settings and so far has not needed a reboot of the DVR connected to it.

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

5 years ago

2nd day in a row that this worked.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Hi @CCKenF Ken,

I got Comcast for my disabled brother in a facility in Albuquerque. We had to get his own personal Comcast account (the facility had analog basic cable with comcast) with TV and internet. We got him a 4G Fire TV and set everything up. It took many calls to Comcast support but things were working fine, on day 2 the problem of needing to reboot the cable box started.

I changed the HDMI cord, I reset the TV to only go on his personal internet (the facility has internet with firewalls). He uses Alexa to turn the TV on and off and uses voice control remote from Comcast to change channels.

This is day 4 of requiring someone from the facility to reboot the cable box each morning for the TV to work.

Today a technician came out. He called me (I am in Chicago) I explained the problem in detail. He said all the tests run show all is fine. I requested a new cable box. He replaced the cable box and the TV worked. My brother turned it off to go to lunch, and then the same problem occurred. 

There is another appt. for tomorrow, but why would that be any different from today? I am desperate. I flew to Albuquerque to help my brother get better TV and ended up with nothing but problems. Is there a chance that Comcast is not compatible with the fire tv?

Official Employee

• 

8K Messages

5 years ago

Margaret916, appreciate you taking the time to go over your experience here on the forums! I understand your frustrations especially since you had to fly out to get this done in the first place. I'm happy to give you some insight on my experience with this issue as well as help as much as I can so your brother can use the service as intended! The issue itself seems to be more so firmware and/or general TV settings that require the reboot. Before we take a look at the box's firmware, do you know if your brother's TV has any eco saver mode enabled? That would need to be disabled if it is. Additionally, the X1 box also has an eco mode so if both are enabled, this has been seen to cause the handshake issue in a few cases. I look forward to your response! 🙂

Ken

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

5 years ago

I have had same issue . I believe it is a software problem with the box . But
Comcast has not fixed it . I Even got
A bill for a service call! I am going to try streaming . I also believe we have a case for breach of contract and grounds for a class action suit as many customers have the same problem .

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Happening to me as well exactly as everybody has described except I have a 4K VISIO TV so it is not just limited to Sony and Samsung TVs.  Comcast needs to acknowledge this problem and fix it.  It is so frustrating.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Yes this exact problem has been happening to us as well.  I do not have a solution but have identified that the TV must be shutting down the cable box overnight somehow via the HDMI cable.  If at the end of the night I unplug the HDMI cable from the back of the cable box, then plug it back in in the morning the cable box does not need to be rebooted.  I have a 4K VISIO TV but somehow it is causeing the Cable box to lockup or shutdown when off for more than 8 hours (requiring a reboot).  Wish I could help more.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Same problem.  Spent many hours with comcast customer service - no solution.  They are idiots and are not regonizing this big problem.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I can confirm this exactly as stated as well.  Or if you unplug the HDMI cable from the back of the comcast box at the end of the day, plug it back in in the morning the cable box does work without needing a reboot.  Something is going on between the TV and the box that is shutting it down.

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

5 years ago

I will try that for giggles but doesn’t
Change much but maybe wait time to reboot. It still makes it a software and cable box issue that we are all being charged for a faulty piece of equipment on a monthly basis .
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here