Community Forum

XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem

Contributor

Re: Frequent no signal xfinity box hdmi

You have to go and manually switch it off. However if you watch 4K Netflix it will automatically switch forcing you to turn it off to watch regular tv
Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem

That doesn’t fix the issue. Once it happens a restart of the x1 box is required in my experience. I added a HDMI switch box between my x1 and my soundbar and that fixed it. But I don’t know why...
Frequent Visitor

Hello All,

Just chiming in. Thought it was my older LG TV. or maybe my newer Yamaha receiver. Must me the XG1V4 box. I have the same issue so in my situation switching TV off and back on always works.

Just my $.02
Frequent Visitor

Ken,

Similar problem with handshake failing. Tried new cables, switched ports, and I'm on my 3rd X1 box. I can eventually get 4K content from the box, like the soccer and baseball games recently, but I have to switch my TV to HDMI 1.4 and then quickly back to HDMI 2.0 to make it work. Rebooting also works. Didn't know about the turning off UHD possible fix--will try that tonight. I have a Comcast tech coming out tomorrow to check levels.

Frequent Visitor

My UHD works fine seemingly, it is the HDR setting (aka Ultra Deep Color, the > 8 bit color scheme) that freaks out.  Try turning off Ultra Deep Color on your TV and see if that helps.  

I feel like the our LG tv (which just updated again a few weeks back) stopped forcing the Comcast box to Ultra Deep Color (but it does force it on the NVIDIA Shield an Fire TV we have switched through the same port on the TV, so that is inconvenient if someone uses one of those gets forced to turn it on and then restarts later with the XG1v4) because the Comcast box will again require a reboot to watch.  

Frequent Visitor

Tried the HDR OFF setting on my TV--a Westinghouse WD55UT4490--with no luck. I give. It's obviously a Xfinity X1 box problem, and since there's little 4K programming available, I just set the box to 1080P and will monitor this forum for any firmware updates. If there's a rare 4K sports match I want to see, my Roku can supply it. I canceled the tech appointment. It would just be a waste of time. 2160@30Hz works, but it's the handshake at 60Hz that the box can't sustain.

Frequent Visitor

Potential resolution for me....

My LG 77 C9 TV updated firmware three days ago, included improving the ARC/EARC connection. I'm of the opinion my particular handshake issue involved the handoff from STB to TV to soundbar. This TV is hdmi 2.1. Have had reliable, repeatable proper on-off since. Maybe it will last.
New Poster

I'm having the handshake problem. I go 4k box to Sony reciever to Sony TV. Sometimes everything works fine. Other times I get a black screen. Sometimes unplugging the power to the cable box will fix the issue but sometimes not. Sometimes unplugging the HDMI cable from the reciever and plugging it back in works but sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I need to turn on my xbox so I get a picture then I can plug in the cable box and it works. This has been very frustrating. This has been going on for months for me.

-Matt

Silver Problem Solver

@mmagikmatt wrote:

I'm having the handshake problem. I go 4k box to Sony reciever to Sony TV. Sometimes everything works fine. Other times I get a black screen. Sometimes unplugging the power to the cable box will fix the issue but sometimes not. Sometimes unplugging the HDMI cable from the reciever and plugging it back in works but sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I need to turn on my xbox so I get a picture then I can plug in the cable box and it works. This has been very frustrating. This has been going on for months for me.

-Matt

Are the HDMI ports on the receiver and TV marked as CEC?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

@mmagikmatt wrote:

I'm having the handshake problem. I go 4k box to Sony reciever to Sony TV.

Which Sony TV?  At least some of them will only accept 4k HDR @60hz on hdmi ports 2 and 3 and need to have the HDMI setting changed to 'enhanced'.   Also be sure your firmware is updated to the latest available.