mjpries's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, August 6th, 2018 7:00 AM

Closed

XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem

I have seen several messages/questions in this forum about problems with the XG1V4 box losing its HDMI connection with the TV. But in none of those threads does there appear to be a resolution, so I am going to try to bring up the question/problem again.

My setup:

XG1V4 connected via UHD high-speed HDMI cable to Samsung UN65JU6500 TV.

Problem:

The TV and XG1V4 work fine together for the whole day. Then, the next morning, when I turn the TV on I get a black screen. I can resolve the problem by rebooting the XG1V4 (obviously not an acceptable way of dealing with the problem). Occassionally, without needing to reboot, I can get the box and the TV to communicate correctly by first connecting the XG1V4 to a much older non-UHD Samsung TV, getting that TV to show correctly, and then connecting the XG1V4 to the UN65JU6500. But that doesn't always work. In any event, even when I do get it to work correctly, it quits working again the next morning. Rinse and repeat.

Elsewhere on these forums there have been a couple of suggested fixes. First, turn off PowerSave. I have done that. Second, make sure you have a UHD high-speed cable. I have done that.  Third, make sure that you have the latest firmware on the TV and on the XG1V4 box. I have done that.

From reading the various threads on this issue, it appears that it is an HDCP 2.2 issue that is causing the XG1V4 and the TV to have a problem establishing an HDMI handshake. And several Comcast employees suggested that the problem has been sent back to the tech folks to find a solution. But unless I have missed it, I don't see any notice of a resolution.....

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

@Rozr1 wrote:
I've had this issue ever since getting my 4k box. I have a samsung hu8550 (2014). Tech came out and said to try new hdmi cable. Try new hdmi cables that exceed 4k specs and still have same issues. Only way to get picture is to power box off and on. Guess I need to try hdmi color off and also should try port 3 on my tv since its 2.2 hdcp capable. All the other hdmi ports are hdmi 2.0 which are 4k ready.

Rozr1

Several months ago I had the issue that had been going on for many months with my Q7 2017 Samsung TV  I have many posts you can review around Jan and Feb   Tried everything, new boxes, cables, comcast out 4 times, telephone calls to comcast nothing workied UNTIL  one of the members of the forum said try turning off th UHD to the HDMI port the x1 box is connected to.  It will not change the picture quality

I did that and have not had the issue even once since then.  Give it a try maybe will work for you   Good Luck

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks. I will try this solution on my Samsung 4K and report back in a couple of weeks.

Official Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

Hi @WindsurfMaui, thanks for reaching out to our Forums! I'm sorry to hear about this connection issue you are experiencing between the X1 cable box an your TV. I would be more than happy to assist you with this! So from what you can tell, the box still appears to be online when it losses connection to the TV? Also when you reboot the cable box, it automatically just reconnects to the TV during the reboot? You don't have to adjust the HDMI cable or anything like that, correct? 

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

I have been good with no problems for almost 3 months now since i turned off the "HDMI UHD Color" port that connects to my Samsung TV from theXG1v4-A  as recomended by Samsung Tech Support. According to Samsung the HDMI UHD Color has to be on only if your doing gaming because it effects the refresh rate but has no effect on the 4K input .It's not a fix for the problem but a good HANDSHAKE workaround solution for me. I did the HDMI cable update which made no difference in my case. Having the box go into sleep mode also worked for me . Comcast called me 2 weeks ago and said their coming out with another update to the box soon which hopefully will work for me. All previous updates have not worked for me but did work for other customers. 

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

Yes to all your questions. Reboot to the box works everytime, HDMI Color is still turned on. Boxhas been replaced twice, Supervisor and a tech spent 3 hours checking all wiring ,signal levels and line noise but everything is fine.Prior to this there were many regular tech out to my house and tried everything possible with no success, thats when I requested a Supervisor or higher level tech come out.The Supervisor attributed the probem to the cable box and somebody calsl me everytime they send a update to my 4k box. I don't know what you can do that they haven't done but appreciate your help or suggestions. Think I need a fine tuned golden box  to fix my problem. 

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

Correct. I changed the service level on the DVR from 4k to 1080p per others experience and now testing to see if that solves the problem.

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

Yes changing to 1080 does correct problem which was tried in the very begining . Doing that brings me back to the older box that I had before this one. I wanted a 4k box because I have Netflix which I'm getting from Comcast and that has a lot of 4k programing .

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

@RickGr4 wrote:
The XG1V4 looks better on all programming including Netflix when set to 1080p.

I use my Sony 4K UHD Blu-ray player or Roku Ultra streamer when I am serious about watching 4K and or HDR programs.

That is exactly what happened to us. When I switched the DVR settings from 4K to 1080p it immediately improved the color settings  on regular TV programs. We haven't logged into Netflix yet but I would assume the color settings are better there as well. And I am willing to accept this compromise for now but hope Comcast will fix the connection issue before 4K becomes common.

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

I was told by Comcast that their waiting for .3 release to be released because they want to send it to me to try, that was 3 weeks ago.

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

5 years ago

Does any one know latest software version. Mine is st 96.1.2. I’ve heard others have 97.x.x.

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

Both my 10+ year old DVR and the new 4K DVR are showing the same release. 97.1.2 as of 4/2/2019 

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

@RickGr4 wrote:

New software and firmware roll out in waves across the country. It can be a  week or two before everyone has the latest. Comcast never provides exact dates.

@jmg1951 wrote:
I was told by Comcast that their waiting for .3 release to be released because they want to send it to me to try, that was 3 weeks ago.

Guess we’ll (I will See). I’ve been dealing with for many months (Check  my posts from Jan) a member on the forum suggested a couple of months ago that I not select the UHD going into my Samsung 2017 Q7  TV from the X1 box. It worked for a few months since he suggested.  After seeing some posted there were Comcast updates that had come out   I tried turning the UHD HDMI PORT BACK ON.  guess what.?  The next morning when I turned everything on again, the HANDSHAKE propblem back.  Had to restart the X1.  Then I once again put the HDMI Port back to UHD.  Now NO MORE HANDSHAKE ISSUES. just like before

anyway for me the issue was resolved a few months ago my turning off UHD to that HDMI port

just one thing I have seen a few posts that some said that by turning off the UHD to the port you will not get a UHD 4K picture.  Well, for me just as the person said that suggested that, IT IS TRUE (at least for my system) there is no detoriation in picture quality.  The person that suggested doing that said that it  is because of the way the X1 sends the signal.   I have no idea BUT what that forum person said was correct, at least for me and my system. 

Hope this is helpful because I’ve seen so many conflicting posts

rlee131

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

5 years ago

Just got 97.1.3

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

Let me know if it works for you. Have to clean and see what have.

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

5 years ago

A lot of conflicting info in all these posts.
Let me summarize. The problem is that when an update is sent to the box with video set to the best UHD setting and the TV is off, the screen and sound do not come back when TV is turned on requiring a reboot.
This seems to affect many different TVs including Samsung, Sony and Visio.
No fix recommended by Comcast or anyone had fixed the issue permanently. We went two weeks until an update and it came back.
Comcast seems to be oblivious to wanting to fix this.
My local tech is aware but has no solution.
Going to power save seemed to work but I think it also stops the update. Yesterday I took it off and an update put 97.1.3 on the box but of course I needed to reboot.
Maybe this one will fix the issue.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here