mjpries's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, August 6th, 2018 7:00 AM

Closed

XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem

I have seen several messages/questions in this forum about problems with the XG1V4 box losing its HDMI connection with the TV. But in none of those threads does there appear to be a resolution, so I am going to try to bring up the question/problem again.

My setup:

XG1V4 connected via UHD high-speed HDMI cable to Samsung UN65JU6500 TV.

Problem:

The TV and XG1V4 work fine together for the whole day. Then, the next morning, when I turn the TV on I get a black screen. I can resolve the problem by rebooting the XG1V4 (obviously not an acceptable way of dealing with the problem). Occassionally, without needing to reboot, I can get the box and the TV to communicate correctly by first connecting the XG1V4 to a much older non-UHD Samsung TV, getting that TV to show correctly, and then connecting the XG1V4 to the UN65JU6500. But that doesn't always work. In any event, even when I do get it to work correctly, it quits working again the next morning. Rinse and repeat.

Elsewhere on these forums there have been a couple of suggested fixes. First, turn off PowerSave. I have done that. Second, make sure you have a UHD high-speed cable. I have done that.  Third, make sure that you have the latest firmware on the TV and on the XG1V4 box. I have done that.

From reading the various threads on this issue, it appears that it is an HDCP 2.2 issue that is causing the XG1V4 and the TV to have a problem establishing an HDMI handshake. And several Comcast employees suggested that the problem has been sent back to the tech folks to find a solution. But unless I have missed it, I don't see any notice of a resolution.....

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Chicken731 wrote:

Before I finished describing the problem both the Yamaha tech support and subsequently the Comcast tech asked if it was a Samsung.  With their flagship Q9F I would think this would be something they would want to work.  The Samsung tech on their site agreed with multiple posters that it is their problem then promptly shut down the thread.

it is across brands and types (4k, non-4k). 

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

Guess you got lucky? I tried every port several times did not work for me. Issue has been going on for me for two months

Regular Visitor

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

With the Samsung there is a CEC-Anynet issue preventing their engineers from fixing the problem.

Official Employee

• 

6.9K Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the update @Chicken731

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

5 years ago

Same thing for me. Just bought an LG SK9000, upgraded to the new X1 4K box and works for a while, then loses signal. I'm forced to unplug the HDMI for the box and it seems to work. Kind of a pain in the rear. I have a 50' run, updated my current HDMI cable to a 50' fiber optic HDMI cable which seems to work a little better. Picture quality is just okay with the X1 box. Funny thing is, using my kids PS4, with my old 50' HDMI cable will automatically switch to HDR and picture is amazing. IMO, Comcast has a lot of work to do, especially for what they are charging for HD cable.

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

Hi  Lots of posts regarding this issue.   My problem has been going on for over 2 months  

Many posts have to do with Samsung TVs  although there are others.  Opinions vary from its an Xfinity issue with the X1 box to its a Samsung issue and a "handshake " problem..  Nevertheless its not being solved....  Ive had comcast out three times changed box and hdmi cables and tried on every tv hdmi port same problem    Ive had no problems with apple tv, Sony playstation or Amazon,  All 4k   Check out all posts "maybe" someday someone will admit fault and fix for the customer.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Wow, I've got exactly the same problem and it all started several weeks ago with my new XG1V4 box.   Comcast has been out twice and replaced my DVR, both satelite boxes, HDMI cables and new filter outside, all to no avail.  Getting to be a pretty expensive endeaver on their part with labor and equipment.  Guess thats why we pay so much per month.   If this keeps up I'm going to ask  Comcast for a partial rebate each month for the inconvenience  of having to reboot  all the time.  I need to get up a half hour earlier each morning to reboot in order to watch the news....

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

5 years ago

Me too! And they pride themselves on their technology. Maybe we should go to a competitor. Maybe then they would listen.
My people here said they would get back to me after switching out the box to study the one I had. Silence rules.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

5 years ago

@radnortx1 wrote:
Me too! And they pride themselves on their technology. Maybe we should go to a competitor. Maybe then they would listen.
My people here said they would get back to me after switching out the box to study the one I had. Silence rules.

Any box sent back in automatically goes back for refurbishing. The same for any returned cable-box or other equipment. No one is able to get back to you about your returned box.

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

5 years ago

They took the box to assess the issue in their office not refurbish it.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Having same issue. Just got a Samsung Christmas Eve, xfinity worked perfectly, received the guide from xfiiity, all of it. Then last Sunday the signal started to come on and off. The screen would go black and return. I went to check and make sure the cables were attached correctly and I haven’t seen a signal again. And yes, I’ve tried the reboots, and other suggestions.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

5 years ago

@benreyes wrote:
Having same issue. Just got a Samsung Christmas Eve, xfinity worked perfectly, received the guide from xfiiity, all of it. Then last Sunday the signal started to come on and off. The screen would go black and return. I went to check and make sure the cables were attached correctly and I haven’t seen a signal again. And yes, I’ve tried the reboots, and other suggestions.

Have you tried reseting both your X1 box alongwith the 4K DVR? Do both boxes have an LED showing they are on?

Assuming you have followed your television's manual for proper way of connecting the  boxes, I would go through the television Setup again. It can be used any time needed.

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

5 years ago

*Update* Comcast sent me a new 4k box, set it up and worked like a champ for 12 hours, then back to its old tricks. Now I turned off the HDMI ultra deep color on my LG TV and switched the X1 box to 1080p. I'm very dissatisfied with the signal quality especially after watching Netflix directly through the TV using its apps. Its a night & day difference, Comcast should be embarrassed with this sub-par product! I think its time to explore different cable TV options.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

The odd thing is that mine will work "like a champ" for days in a row but then start having the problem again. I turn things on and hope. I have no confidence that Comcast (or Samsung, or Denon if they have a part in it) are doing anything to fix things. I wish we got what we paid for.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here