jonathanruby's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

Sunday, May 17th, 2020 4:00 PM

Closed

X1 box not sending signal to TV (have to unplug/replug box)

I have an X1 box with the voice command remote that randomly (and continually) will be "off-line" when I turn the TV on. Essentially, I have a black screen, where my Sony Bravia states the message "HTML 2 - no signal" (as that the input used for the X1 box). I have to unplug the X1 box and wait for it to reboot, which takes forever. I actually swapped the box out 3 times, only to find out by a repairman months later that there is some "compatibility issue" where the X1 box is not "remembering" at what resolution to deliver programming. He told me to hold the exit button on the Xfinity remote for 5 seconds, then type 1080. I did this and worked ONE TIME only. Ever since it has gone out again and I attempt this quick fix, it does not work, and have resorted to unplugging the box and waiting for it to reboot. It is super frustrating, when I don't even watch TV that often, overall, and I just want to walk down into the family room after a long day and relax with some show, and this is what I continually deal with. Sometimes it will be fine for 3 or 4 days in a row and will be "online" when I turn the TV on, then, out-of-the-blue, it's a black screen again. It seems to do it more and more frequently lately. My TV is up-to-date on it's software, and the repairman made it sound like Comcast is aware of this issue yet is doing nothing about it. My parent's have DirectTV and DO NOT deal with any of the bizarre issues I have with COMCAST. When I had the older set-top box without the voice remote, I NEVER had this issue. In fact, that box would turn off with the TV, but this stupid new one is set to be "online" constantly, which is probably one of the problems with it. Once it loses signal with a TV that is turned off, it apparently doesn't know what to do. This is just ridiculous. As always, Xfinity increases prices on just about everything they can, but they can't deliver reliable service on much of anything we're paying for. I'm at that point of saying "cut the cord." It's been a long time coming. Can somebody fix this issue, please? Can somebody provide any guideance, please? Is there anyone at Comcast who knows anything about how to provide reliable service? 

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@jonathanruby wrote:

I have an X1 box with the voice command remote that randomly (and continually) will be "off-line" when I turn the TV on. Essentially, I have a black screen, where my Sony Bravia states the message "HTML 2 - no signal" (as that the input used for the X1 box). I have to unplug the X1 box and wait for it to reboot, which takes forever. I actually swapped the box out 3 times, only to find out by a repairman months later that there is some "compatibility issue" where the X1 box is not "remembering" at what resolution to deliver programming. He told me to hold the exit button on the Xfinity remote for 5 seconds, then type 1080. I did this and worked ONE TIME only. Ever since it has gone out again and I attempt this quick fix, it does not work, and have resorted to unplugging the box and waiting for it to reboot. It is super frustrating, when I don't even watch TV that often, overall, and I just want to walk down into the family room after a long day and relax with some show, and this is what I continually deal with. Sometimes it will be fine for 3 or 4 days in a row and will be "online" when I turn the TV on, then, out-of-the-blue, it's a black screen again. It seems to do it more and more frequently lately. My TV is up-to-date on it's software, and the repairman made it sound like Comcast is aware of this issue yet is doing nothing about it. My parent's have DirectTV and DO NOT deal with any of the bizarre issues I have with COMCAST. When I had the older set-top box without the voice remote, I NEVER had this issue. In fact, that box would turn off with the TV, but this stupid new one is set to be "online" constantly, which is probably one of the problems with it. Once it loses signal with a TV that is turned off, it apparently doesn't know what to do. This is just ridiculous. As always, Xfinity increases prices on just about everything they can, but they can't deliver reliable service on much of anything we're paying for. I'm at that point of saying "cut the cord." It's been a long time coming. Can somebody fix this issue, please? Can somebody provide any guideance, please? Is there anyone at Comcast who knows anything about how to provide reliable service? 

the exit x3 1080 puts the set top box in 1080i (for crt type projectors). be sure to change resolution back to 720p or 1080p. is your set top box set up to go into powersave? if so, turn that off. when you have the issue, try changing your TV input to another HDMI port then change back to the X1 device port. that should 'wake' the handshake.

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

4 years ago

@jonathanruby 

We sincerely apologize for the issue that you have been experiencing. We ask that you please follow the steps below to get this resolved. 

1. Change the resolution to 1080p60.
  2. Try changing the HDMI cable
  3. Try with a different HDMI port on TV
  4. Please confirm the TV has the latest software (just double-check this)

Please let us know if these steps resolved your issue or if it is still on-going. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

I did #2, 3, and 4. For #1, Do I change to 1080p somewhere in the X1 box menus? By the way, the other three things did not work. It was fine for a few days and then I had no signal again this evening and had to unplug the box and wait for it to reboot through everything. Very annoying. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I have been having the same problem for months.  This week every morning I have to unplug to get the signal to take.  Please provide a solution or let us know you can replace the box.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

This issue started mysteriously one day over a year ago.  Comcast did not know how to resolve.  Restarting the box takes too long every day.  After turning on tv with x1 remote, I press the tv input button twice to return to hdmi and it takes a few seconds for the program to appear.  

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

I get video back after turning off my TV by doing a fast off and on a few times.  The X1 box (4KDVR) does a sleep thing after you turn off the display (mine is a Samsung Smart TV).  The TV does not like to come up without an active HDMI port running.  I can unplug then replug in the HDMI cable from the 4KDVR and usually get video back.  Or I can do a couple fast off/on's (remote Power button) and usuall get video back.  Or, of course, I can also power down the 4KDVR and wait for it to go through a full reboot.

The old cable box was never a problem because it kept the HDMI port live 24X7.  The new box does a sleep thing whenever you turn of the flat screen.

Best of luck!

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

3 years ago

@semi-retired wrote:

I get video back after turning off my TV by doing a fast off and on a few times.  The X1 box (4KDVR) does a sleep thing after you turn off the display (mine is a Samsung Smart TV).  The TV does not like to come up without an active HDMI port running.  I can unplug then replug in the HDMI cable from the 4KDVR and usually get video back.  Or I can do a couple fast off/on's (remote Power button) and usuall get video back.  Or, of course, I can also power down the 4KDVR and wait for it to go through a full reboot.

The old cable box was never a problem because it kept the HDMI port live 24X7.  The new box does a sleep thing whenever you turn of the flat screen.

Best of luck!

go into your set top box 'settings' menu and turn off CEC control. turn off power save feature.

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

The problem was old software in the Samsung TV. I had replaced my gateway without updating the wifi pw. Once i loaded the new password onto the tv and did a software update the hdmi hookup started working properly.
Thanks for the help.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here