Community Forum

X1 Technical Issues

New Poster

Re: X1 Technical Issues

Comcast will still use existing lines. Everything must be home run to a central location. Meaning it can't be cascades of splitters

New Poster

As long as signal is within spec we use existing lines
New Poster

. To look at your signal on the x1 remote type in
Hold exit for 3 seconds then down down 2 quickly. Will be on system tab and on page 5
Silver Problem Solver

@Inhouse-tech wrote:

Hmm.  Interesting use of the word "we".  Do we have a "mouse in the house"?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@Inhouse-tech wrote:

Attention Inhouse-tech. Are you a Comcast employee or contractor ? If so, you may not be aware of this fact: Comcast employees must be authorized by the forum administrator in order to post in an official capacity. Employees have their names in RED and are designated as such.

If not authorized they can post here but cannot state they are employees. Nor can they allude to being employees.

You can contact the community manager here (Comcast Larry) about it;

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/4671561

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

XRE 07002. No access to any on demand content. Another fun Comcast night.
Enjoy the monopoly while you have it.
Expert

@tctc wrote:
XRE 07002. No access to any on demand content. Another fun Comcast night.
Enjoy the monopoly while you have it.

did you try viewing on laptop/desktop/smart phone? When the xre system is down there are many backups available to watch live and on-demand content.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

new XRE-server 1.50.08 2 issues so far..

FIrst, the 'about' screen sometimes will not go away without a reboot. Hitting Exit, xfinity button, playing a recording, nothing makes it go away.

Second, the CC function is buggy/slow when off turning it on gets no or very slow screen update. The sequence is turn it on and nothing happens (no icon saying on) dismisses after 5-10 seconds and then captions start.

Most Valued Poster

Good ideas Rustyben, but I'm paying a lot of money to be able to watch on my 60" screen, not on my 3" screen.

Frequent Visitor

I'm currently having issues with my Pace (PX013ANM) X1 DVR automatically switching back to 720p output resolution.  I usually notice this when my TV (which the STB is hooked directly to via HDMI) has been off for awhile.  I've seen discussion of this similar problem elsewhere, but since this is the "official" thread for X1 technical issues, I figured I'd mention it here as well.

Expert

@Beancounter311 wrote:

I'm currently having issues with my Pace (PX013ANM) X1 DVR automatically switching back to 720p output resolution.  I usually notice this when my TV (which the STB is hooked directly to via HDMI) has been off for awhile.  I've seen discussion of this similar problem elsewhere, but since this is the "official" thread for X1 technical issues, I figured I'd mention it here as well.

trying it on one of those devices will test if your account is set up with 'entitlements' to be able to have on demand. If they work then call the 877-896-8678 and tell them the problem and that you can watch it online so has to be in your box settings.

Silver Problem Solver

@Beancounter311 wrote:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Why-is-the-quot-V3-quot-Pace-X1-DVR-Being-Distributed/td-p/2486946

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

My non-DVR STB has problems playing recordings from the DVR. The recording starts to play and after a few minutes I get an error message saying the DVR is not available or can't be found. If I exit out to live tv and then go back into the recordings  the cycle just repeats.

Silver Problem Solver

That sounds like a connection issue, which might be caused by poor signal strength.  You might need to schedule a visit from Comcast techs.

Expert

@JohnBanes wrote:

My non-DVR STB has problems playing recordings from the DVR. The recording starts to play and after a few minutes I get an error message saying the DVR is not available or can't be found. If I exit out to live tv and then go back into the recordings  the cycle just repeats.

you didn't say what time of day (possibly during the reboot at 2-3 am?) this happened. 

next time you see this exit to live tv and press and hold the exit button for 3-5 seconds, release and quickly press down down 2 <== after a few seconds a white background menu will appear. press down to MoCA and hit 'ok' note first screen to see if 'linked up' is the status. then move to the MoCA Mesh Transmission Rates and jot down the actual info not the grid. will be something like 

0  250 250

250 0 250

250 250 0

the number of filled out data lines will equal the number of X1 set top boxes you have.

Silver Problem Solver

@Inhouse-tech wrote:
Hold exit for 3 seconds then down down 2 quickly. Will be on system tab and on page 5

I don't believe System Page 5 is correct for those of us who have the 2.0.0 firmware.

Expert

@Inhouse-tech wrote:

if you are on 1.3.4 change the 2 to a 3 to see the next-generation diagnostic screens.

New Poster

X1 mini cable box won't connect

New X1 system main cable box in family room activated and works fine.  X1 "mini" in bedroom won't connect whereas plugging in the standard HD cable box to the same cable and TV has good signal and TV works fine.  So the issue is not with the cable itself or TV but with the X1 mini box.  Replaced the X1 "mini" box at Comcast service center - same problem - "no signal". Comcast representative can't figure it out. Any ideas?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 mini cable box won't connect

@JanKe wrote:

New X1 system main cable box in family room activated and works fine.  X1 "mini" in bedroom won't connect whereas plugging in the standard HD cable box to the same cable and TV has good signal and TV works fine.  So the issue is not with the cable itself or TV but with the X1 mini box.  Replaced the X1 "mini" box at Comcast service center - same problem - "no signal". Comcast representative can't figure it out. Any ideas?

Call Comcast talk to account tell them you have an X1 box that needs to be activated.

Silver Problem Solver

TV screen says no signal, so that's not an activation thing.

If you're sure the HDMI wire and the HDMI port in the TV are good, and the TV is tuned to the correct input, then the HDMI port in the box is likely busted and the box needs replaced.

New Poster

Thanks - I have talked with Comcast multiple times and they can't figure out why it won't activate, even with a replacement cable box we have no signal. I am waiting for a call back from their technical support because they needed to "research".

Silver Problem Solver

Try calling 1-877-896-8678

Gold Problem Solver

Get a tech out to your house...

@JanKe wrote:

Thanks - I have talked with Comcast multiple times and they can't figure out why it won't activate, even with a replacement cable box we have no signal. I am waiting for a call back from their technical support because they needed to "research".

Diamond Problem Solver

New X1 system main cable box in family room activated and works fine. X1 "mini" in bedroom won't connect whereas plugging in the standard HD cable box to the same cable and TV has good signal and TV works fine. So the issue is not with the cable itself or TV but with the X1 mini box. Replaced the X1 "mini" box at Comcast service center - same problem - "no signal". Comcast representative can't figure it out. Any ideas?

Just to clarify the X11 mini is the Xi3 and the HD standard box is a DTA. I ask because I see a dvr, xi3, and 3 DTAs on your account.

Did you try putting the dvr where you want the Xi3 and the Xi3 where the dvr is?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

I haven't tried that but I'd be very reluctant because I screwed up my multisystem Control4 remote in my family room by rebooting the main X1 DVR (hoping it might reboot the Xi3) and now have to have ListenUp return and set it up again.

Expert
New Poster

I have the X1 box and can see all my recordings on all my devices but I get this issue everytime I try and watch a recording via the xfinity website. I have tried multiple computers and multiple web browsers over a time period of several days. 

Your connection has been interrupted.

(Error 500: Internal server error)

This may be a temporary issue so try again shortly.

Try Again

Silver Problem Solver

Error 500 is a common, temporary problem.  Do a google on comcast x1 error 500.

New Poster

Audio is out of sync with the picture on our X1 box. This all started in late February. Before this we had no problem with the box. A tech came out and replaced the box, but we still have the same issue with the new box. It's not the TV because we've tested other devices (DVD player, etc...) and it's fine.

A supervisor tech recently came out and basically had no idea what was causing it or how to fix it. If I had to guess I'd say it's software/firmware related.

Please help.

Expert

@HelpMeX1 wrote:

Audio is out of sync with the picture on our X1 box. This all started in late February. Before this we had no problem with the box. A tech came out and replaced the box, but we still have the same issue with the new box. It's not the TV because we've tested other devices (DVD player, etc...) and it's fine.

A supervisor tech recently came out and basically had no idea what was causing it or how to fix it. If I had to guess I'd say it's software/firmware related.

Please help.

When TECH replaced Box, what is the make/model of the new BOX?

How is your BOX connected to the TV?

Do you have an AUDIO Receiver in this mix?

-=Ray=- 

Expert

Just for grins, 

I can force an Audio-Out-Of-Synch on unsuspecting guests and the wife!!!!

Just turn on the Audio receiver (Optical from DVR to Receiver) and also crank up the TV's volume ( HDMI from DVR to TV )..... just to the point of being wierd!!!!

Works everytime....guests just sit there with a strange look on thier faces!!!

New Poster

@geek46 wrote:

@HelpMeX1 wrote:

Please help.

When TECH replaced Box, what is the make/model of the new BOX?

How is your BOX connected to the TV?

Do you have an AUDIO Receiver in this mix?

-=Ray=- 

Not sure what the make/model is of the box, I'll have to check. Box is connected to the TV via HDMI cord (which I replaced just to make sure it wasn't that). There is no audio receiver in the mix, sound just comes from the TVs speakers.

Expert

@HelpMeX1 wrote:
Not sure what the make/model is of the box, I'll have to check. Box is connected to the TV via HDMI cord (which I replaced just to make sure it wasn't that). There is no audio receiver in the mix, sound just comes from the TVs speakers.

It may explain things.... look in bottom right corner of front.... you will see XG1-A or XG1-P....

Pace is known for audio hiccups, Arris less so....although recent FW/STB updates seem to taking care of issues.... you could also check what version of FW/STB you have by looking in Settings..

-=Ray=-

New Poster

@geek46 wrote:

@HelpMeX1 wrote:

It may explain things.... look in bottom right corner of front.... you will see XG1-A or XG1-P....

Pace is known for audio hiccups, Arris less so....although recent FW/STB updates seem to taking care of issues.... you could also check what version of FW/STB you have by looking in Settings..

-=Ray=-

The box says XG1-P on the front of the box. Other settings are as follows:

XRE Server Version: 1.50.08     3/19/2015

XRE Protocol Version: 2.8.0

Receiver Native Version: 2.0.0

STB Version: PX013AN 2.0p13s1

Expert

@HelpMeX1 wrote:

Interesting... that looks like a PACE V3 DVR....  I "had" oneof those when they first came out...  a lot of issued with Audio and especially with LAG ( box to X1 network ) ....trying to change channels and even turning ON were too much of a chore.... spent more time rebooting this box than using it...    I had it replaceed with an XG-1 A (Arris) and now have 2 of those in the home...no problems whatsoever now.   Well....  at least those I can live with!!!  : )

-=Ray=-

New Poster

@geek46 wrote:

@HelpMeX1 wrote:

Interesting... that looks like a PACE V3 DVR....  I "had" oneof those when they first came out...  a lot of issued with Audio and especially with LAG ( box to X1 network ) ....trying to change channels and even turning ON were too much of a chore.... spent more time rebooting this box than using it...    I had it replaceed with an XG-1 A (Arris) and now have 2 of those in the home...no problems whatsoever now.   Well....  at least those I can live with!!!  : )

-=Ray=-

Thanks for the info. If I request an XG-1 A (Arris) to replace my current box will Comcast be willing to do that?

Expert

@HelpMeX1 wrote:

@geek46 wrote:

@HelpMeX1 wrote:

-=Ray=-

Thanks for the info. If I request an XG-1 A (Arris) to replace my current box will Comcast be willing to do that?

I don't know what your "market" has available....you may need to call into the local franchise and ask if you can do that.... some areas allow for Self-Install.... in your case, if it is available you should do it IMO....  You've already had enopugh Tech's out and lines replaced.... sounds like a bad box to me.

Good Luck!

-=Ray=-

Silver Problem Solver

I sometimes have to reboot my X1 box to get the sound back in sync.  It doesn't always work but I have heard there is a software/firmware fix in the works.

New Poster

Having probs with my bedroom box, it used to do sleep mode and have the same prob so we leave it on 24/7 and it still does the prob.

the prob is when we hit guide it keeps saying it cant connect to the x1 platofrm, its getting to the point we have to watch the same channel all night, its driving my wife crazy since she likes to watch tv before going to sleep.

When I hit guide a yellow light is already on and a red one flashes and the blue circle light which we keep off comes on.

We cant even control the xfinity button.

Every buttton we touch it does the same thing,

I pulled the plug and reset it and still nothing.

HELP PLZ!!!

Silver Problem Solver

Sure sounds like some kind of signal/connection problem.  Call Comcast and have them send a tech out to check it.

Frequent Visitor

I wanted to note that I saw an update come through on my box am still seeing the issue of the output resolution reverting back to 720p.  My STB version is PX013AN_2.014s1_PROD_HYBse.  XRE version is 1.51.04.  My TV is a Sony Bravia W630B.  Comcastneal noted in another thread that this was supposed to be fixed soon, so most of us were hoping that it would have come in the March updates.  Is there an updated ETA for this fix? 

Silver Problem Solver

ETA's are far and few between on this board.  And Comcast always misses them.  

Useless.

Frequent Visitor

I'd like to know when all of the X1 bugs will be fixed.  I had comcast come out - the tech said that the signal strength was the issue.  He put in an amplifier.  He then decided that the signal was too strong and put in an attenuator.  The only thing that really changed was that I get a bill for $70.  A long talk with comcast and my refusing to take no for an answer finally got the charge reversed.

I still had problems.  The internet speeds are great - as long as you are hard wired.  WIFI is slow with the new comcast modem/wifi.

The biggest problem is the constant system hangups with the message "can not connect to X1 platform".  I called comcast out again.  I was able to cause the system to hang up in front of the tech.  He replaced the box.  I still have the same problem.  Try this:

• go to on demand;  select any movie category that has a lot of choices to display (free movies is a good one)
  • scroll through these movies just like you are looking for a movie to watch.  Don't scroll abnormally fast, just scroll like you would when looking for something to watch.
  • You may get through a lot of movies but, if your system is like mine, you will never get to the end of the list.  The system will hang up first.

This looks like the box simply can't handle the amount of data being sent to it and chokes.  Unplugging and replugging the box fixes the problem (at least until you try to search for a movie again) so it seems that the problem is in the box.  I wish that there way to get this info to someone at comcast so that they could look into this.

Problem Solver

@bigdg wrote:

I'd like to know when all of the X1 bugs will be fixed.  I had comcast come out - the tech said that the signal strength was the issue.  He put in an amplifier.  He then decided that the signal was too strong and put in an attenuator.  The only thing that really changed was that I get a bill for $70.  A long talk with comcast and my refusing to take no for an answer finally got the charge reversed.

I still had problems.  The internet speeds are great - as long as you are hard wired.  WIFI is slow with the new comcast modem/wifi.

The biggest problem is the constant system hangups with the message "can not connect to X1 platform".  I called comcast out again.  I was able to cause the system to hang up in front of the tech.  He replaced the box.  I still have the same problem.  Try this:

• go to on demand;  select any movie category that has a lot of choices to display (free movies is a good one)
  • scroll through these movies just like you are looking for a movie to watch.  Don't scroll abnormally fast, just scroll like you would when looking for something to watch.
  • You may get through a lot of movies but, if your system is like mine, you will never get to the end of the list.  The system will hang up first.

This looks like the box simply can't handle the amount of data being sent to it and chokes.  Unplugging and replugging the box fixes the problem (at least until you try to search for a movie again) so it seems that the problem is in the box.  I wish that there way to get this info to someone at comcast so that they could look into this.

Sounds to me like you still have signal issues.

Gold Problem Solver

@scjohnson312 wrote:

@bigdg wrote:

Sounds to me like you still have signal issues.

Agreed... You might want to take a moment a learn how to check your own signal levels...
Frequent Visitor

the 2nd tech checked the signal level at the set top box.  He said that it was right where it should be.  I found a way to check the signal levels but every time I tried it, I got a response that it was not working now, try again later.

The first tech did call back after he left and said that the cable drop to my house needed to be replaced.  He insisted that it had to be done on the next Saturday, even after I told him that I wouldn't be home.  It has been 3 or 4 weeks now and the cable has not been replaced.  I know that my cable has one underground splice in it.  It probably has 2 or 3 kinks in it after 15 years.

Diamond Problem Solver

The first tech did call back after he left and said that the cable drop to my house needed to be replaced. He insisted that it had to be done on the next Saturday, even after I told him that I wouldn't be home. It has been 3 or 4 weeks now and the cable has not been replaced. I know that my cable has one underground splice in it. It probably has 2 or 3 kinks in it after 15 years.

That would do it. Your signal is fine, but the 2 way communication by having a bad drop is what's hampering the X1 boxes from being able to do what they need to.

Attenuators are fine to use even with the amp. Whatever it takes to get the boxes in spec.

Expert

@CCAndrew wrote:

The first tech did call back after he left and said that the cable drop to my house needed to be replaced. He insisted that it had to be done on the next Saturday, even after I told him that I wouldn't be home. It has been 3 or 4 weeks now and the cable has not been replaced. I know that my cable has one underground splice in it. It probably has 2 or 3 kinks in it after 15 years.

That would do it. Your signal is fine, but the 2 way communication by having a bad drop is what's hampering the X1 boxes from being able to do what they need to.

Attenuators are fine to use even with the amp. Whatever it takes to get the boxes in spec.

I'm surprised to say the least about that. A zero-insertion amp (same out as in) should be attenuated prior to the MoCA reflector/trap prior to the amp. The near zeroDB at amp in will give near 0DB amp out to each port with maximum crosstalk to let MoCA data propagate. 

IMO no attenuator would be needed other than perhaps at point of entry, which would not affect the MoCA at all but would tend to cause each device to have to up their transmit power to get 'thru' the attenuator on the in-band frequency spectrum. I know i'm just a customer.

Diamond Problem Solver

The near zeroDB at amp in will give near 0DB amp out to each port with maximum crosstalk to let MoCA data propagate.

Why are you assuming that it would be 0db out of the amp? From experience, I can tell you it's rarely 0. Every house/apartment/ tap/ ground block is different and will have different signal levels. As a tech you work with what you are given to work with and make it work. Sometimes, it means one attenuator, sometimes it could mean each port on the amp gets a different one( 1,2,3,6,8 db options), whatever it takes to get the equipment in spec. Also, attenuator's are for both upstream and downstream.

Gold Problem Solver

You are wrong here and you are over thinking this on many fronts.

Rusty did it ever occur to you that some people posting in this forum don't know what a coax cable is? Some people think composite and component are the same thing. Very often you speak a language that a vast majority of forum members will not understand.

I simply do not understand why you continue to try to "talk over people's heads" especially when you don't have a complete understanding yourself of what is being discussed.

Please tone it down dude... please...

@Rustyben wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:

I'm surprised to say the least about that. A zero-insertion amp (same out as in) should be attenuated prior to the MoCA reflector/trap prior to the amp. The near zeroDB at amp in will give near 0DB amp out to each port with maximum crosstalk to let MoCA data propagate. 

IMO no attenuator would be needed other than perhaps at point of entry, which would not affect the MoCA at all but would tend to cause each device to have to up their transmit power to get 'thru' the attenuator on the in-band frequency spectrum. I know i'm just a customer.