CCGwen's profile

Contributor

• 

235 Messages

Monday, October 6th, 2014 2:00 PM

Closed

X1 Technical Issues

Welcome to the new "X1 Technical Issues" thread. We ask that you post all of your X1 related technical issues (Audio, Set Top Box, etc.) here. 

Below, you will find links to X1 Help articles that may assist you in resolving your technical issue:

Xfinity TV: Basic Troubleshooting

Find and Troubleshoot Error Codes

Thank you in advance for posting!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

775 Messages

7 years ago

Can somebody fix this closed captioning glitch? It's distracting. Changing the background to transparent will fix, but translucent background allows for easier reading.

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

539 Messages

7 years ago

The "re-tune" bug seems to be gone, but replaced by one that's even worse.  Now instead of re-tuning right away, it just doesn't capture the buffer at all until you attempt to access it.  So you don't just miss the opportunity to rewind into something right away, but you also lose that ability much later, unless you remember to try to access it right away every time.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

7 years ago

@tctc wrote:

The "re-tune" bug seems to be gone, but replaced by one that's even worse.  Now instead of re-tuning right away, it just doesn't capture the buffer at all until you attempt to access it.  So you don't just miss the opportunity to rewind into something right away, but you also lose that ability much later, unless you remember to try to access it right away every time.

my experience is only for an Xg2 and does what you describe as 'now' however I suspect it is the same issue as the problem remains for me in that when I attempt to hit 15 second 'backup' the screen blinks and then the progress bar thermometer appears with no buffer at all. That 'blink' is what I took to be a retune to same channel and then the buffer begins recording again. From my observation it is intermittent, and only happens for the first use after overnight system reboot. 

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

7 years ago

@adammusic22 wrote:
Can somebody fix this closed captioning glitch? It's distracting. Changing the background to transparent will fix, but translucent background allows for easier reading.

blame a human for that orphan pop-on box as it is part of 708 digital captions. The lines before that had settings that said how long a pop-on box will stay displayed if scroll of new boxes does not destroy (erase) it. It is more likely that an engineer is in process of changing from one digital feed via a 'face' (a to b) and began but didn't 'continue' the swipe to b at that moment. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

my experience is only for an Xg2 and does what you describe as 'now' however I suspect it is the same issue as the problem remains for me in that when I attempt to hit 15 second 'backup' the screen blinks and then the progress bar thermometer appears with no buffer at all. That 'blink' is what I took to be a retune to same channel and then the buffer begins recording again. From my observation it is intermittent, and only happens for the first use after overnight system reboot. 

It's not a bug. It's deliberate, and that is why Comcast won't acknowledge it. And because it is deliberate, it puts them in jepordy of a false advertising allegation, when they sold the system based on the ability to rewind live TV.

I work from home, and leave the TV running on a channel for background noise...like a news channel or some marathon TV show. If you do not interact with the settop box for 3 hours, it will retune and clear the buffer. Pressing any button to interact with the settop box will cause it to retune again, and begin recording to the buffer. (I also have the standard XG2 box with no DVR function.)

The reason I suspect why it does a retune, is that one or more of the tuners is setup to not use the buffer. So it tunes to the channel using that tuner when Comcast doesn't want to use the buffer. When you "wake it up" by pressing any button, it reverts to the tuner that is seyup to record to the buffer.

As with everything Comcast does, it is purely money-related. They don't want to have to replace flash memory due to excessive write-cycles.

Contributor

• 

775 Messages

7 years ago

New ui issue :

Speaking into voice remote : "Baltimore Orioles", brings up team stats. then pressing OK used to bring you into the Orioles listings. Now , pressing OK goes to the live game. BUT it tunes to the regular extra innings SD game. PLEASE MAKE A VOICE COMMAND TO TUNE DIRECTLY TO THE ORIOLES MLB HD BETA CHANNEL.

Now i have to type baltimore orioles to get into the orioles listing then go down to the hd beta channel.

The initial team stats are a bad idea. Those should be accessible by saying "Baltimore Orioles Stats", not just by saying the team name.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

7 years ago

@adammusic22 wrote:
New ui issue :

Speaking into voice remote : "Baltimore Orioles", brings up team stats. then pressing OK used to bring you into the Orioles listings. Now , pressing OK goes to the live game. BUT it tunes to the regular extra innings SD game. PLEASE MAKE A VOICE COMMAND TO TUNE DIRECTLY TO THE ORIOLES MLB HD BETA CHANNEL.

Now i have to type baltimore orioles to get into the orioles listing then go down to the hd beta channel.

The initial team stats are a bad idea. Those should be accessible by saying "Baltimore Orioles Stats", not just by saying the team name.

do you have your Xfinity button > Preferences > General > Auto-Tune to HD channels set to "ON"?

Contributor

• 

775 Messages

7 years ago

Yes of course.

But that doesnt auto tune from the regular the SD extra innings channels to the standalaone specific team hd beta channel.

It would tune to the hd channel if my game was on one of the two regular extra innings channels. But even then, its not guaranteed to be my teams announcers.

Which is what the hd beta team channel is for. Always hd, always orioles announcers.

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

7 years ago

@tctc wrote:

I have a fun new bug.  For the last 2 nights, each time I tune to a different channel, it plays for approx. 10 seconds, then it goes black and re-tunes to the channle again.

Happens on my main DVR, not sure about my other boxes...

Anyone else seen anything similar?

tctc,

Thank you for posting this. I have been having exactly the same problem for over four weeks. When I called Comcast they said they never heard of that before. Numerous resets and refresh attempts will not clear it up. They wanted me to go to the store and get a new remote. I have three in the house and tried that too. Now to convince my spouse that I really wasn't seeing things!! This is on the main HD dvr box. On the remote additional boxes, when you select the "guide" the sound will cut off for about 2 seconds and then work again. What is up with this??

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

We have problems multiple times a day! My husband is getting upset! We pay over $200 a month for hassles!!

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Yes it's happening constantly. Quite irritating. I also have an issue when I am watching the DVR and it asks if I want to watch the next available show in that series and after I say yes it starts but then goes back to live TV. 

Contributor

• 

775 Messages

7 years ago

Will ghost recordings evet get fixed?

What seems to be the problem that its not fixed and remains an issue?

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I know this is old, but I just found out today that the X1 system reboots everyday you can go into settings and change the time maybe yours is set for 8pm every night. I wasn't aware of this till a tech told me and I went into my settings to change my time to 3-4 in the am. Good luck

@driveway2 wrote:

So Comcast has evidently decided to go ahead and schedule malfunctions each Wednesday night around 8:00 pm EST.  This is the THIRD Wednesday night in a row that at 8:00 our main X1 box stops working.  Won't do a thing.  Can't even turn it off.  Have to pull the plug for at least 10 minutes and then hope that you only have to do it once.  So, anything we have set to tape at 8:00 on Wednesdays is toast.  Takes about a half hour to get it rest and running again.  Thanks, Comcast.  Tell me again why I'm paying you $200 a month?

Contributor

• 

539 Messages

7 years ago

@adammusic22 wrote:
Will ghost recordings evet get fixed?

What seems to be the problem that its not fixed and remains an issue?

I assume the problem is Comcasts priorities.

I had the "re-tune" bug going for every channel I tuned to all day long on Sunday, that was fun.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

7 years ago

@nicki777 wrote:

I know this is old, but I just found out today that the X1 system reboots everyday you can go into settings and change the time maybe yours is set for 8pm every night. I wasn't aware of this till a tech told me and I went into my settings to change my time to 3-4 in the am. Good luck

@driveway2 wrote:

So Comcast has evidently decided to go ahead and schedule malfunctions each Wednesday night around 8:00 pm EST.  This is the THIRD Wednesday night in a row that at 8:00 our main X1 box stops working.  Won't do a thing.  Can't even turn it off.  Have to pull the plug for at least 10 minutes and then hope that you only have to do it once.  So, anything we have set to tape at 8:00 on Wednesdays is toast.  Takes about a half hour to get it rest and running again.  Thanks, Comcast.  Tell me again why I'm paying you $200 a month?

I have mine set for 'necessary' reboot in the middle of the night but just yesterday it rebooted mid morning and this has happened before. This morning I saw something new , a beige window appeared and live tv was interrupted......."performing routine maintenance". It didn't completely reboot but never saw that message before.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here