Community Forum

Why is Any Room DVR service ending?

Official Employee

Re: Why is Any Room DVR service ending?

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

Received my latest bill today and see that Any room DVR service will not be available to new customers or existing customers who change their service. Why is this no longer available?  How does it effect me with my 2 DVR system? Are my 2 DVR going to be stand alone systems that won't talk to each other?

Apologies for any confusion we may have caused, the message that appeared on the cable statements was not as clear as it could have been. 

To clarify - this does not impact our X1 customers at all.

This only impacts our legacy video AnyRoom DVR customers. This feature will no longer be available for new subscriptions or to add to your existing non-X1 service after 12/20/19. 

Here is the full bill message (which should have been much clearer):

Xfinity TV Update: Effective December 20, 2019, AnyRoom DVR Service will no longer be available for new subscriptions. If you currently have AnyRoom DVR Service, you will continue to receive this service until you make a change or you receive further notice.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Hi, I will post on an x1 board but I was stating here only for the record that because it is  the anyroom dvr "system" that is my issue with connections wasn't trying to take over the post.

Contributor

Hi, in regards to the MoCa filter there is a 2 way splitter where the line goes to the modem and the 4way splitter for my cable boxes. The 2way splitter has a filter that says it for use with anyroom and this cable goes into the 4way splitter but I don't see anything that says that either splitter is MoCa, all that is listed says the output is -7dB on the 4way and -3.5dB on the 2way.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for an official comcast reply.  Hopefully in the future that the notices on the bills will be very clear so that it does not cause a lot of unnecessary corresponding about it in these forums and a long time to find out the clarification of what it was actually talking about.  

Diamond Problem Solver

@john991
The moca filter is to keep your services in your house and your neighbors out. Where it’s at is fine and your splitters are fine. Whatever your issues are, start a new detailed thread, this thread has been answered and run it’s course

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

I don't think most customers know the difference between Anyroom service and X1 Anyroom service. So yes these notices need to be clarified so it is plain to any and every customer who the notice effects and exactly how.

The MoCa filter is probably near where the line comes into your house or apartment building at the main junction box. If I remember correctly it is a small silver cylinder that doesn't look like anything at all.

Valued Contributor

The MoCa filter is probably on your line at the box way before the first splitter. If you don't know what it looks like you probably have been staring at it and didn't even notice it. I thought it would be some sort of device or box but if I remember correctly it is a small silver cylinder that is on your line right where it comes into your building and just looks like a tiny adapter.

Valued Contributor

First, thanks for everybody's help in getting a useful answer. I really like this forum because I think we help to discover solutions and workable fixes to many problems that Comcast doesn't really focus on and only surface as their decisions effect customers. Second, I am not surprised that it took a while for this issue to be resolved. As in many large corporations information comes from the top down and the "suits" in the executive office have very little knowledge of the real effects on the customers. So it takes a while for first, the various engineers to implement the "orders" and for the effects of those orders to surface so a solution can be created. Lastly, I'm glad that my X1 service won't be effected. I wish I had the ability to put a multi-Gigabyte flash drive on my DVR so I could store many more shows and movies. But that said I really like the X1 service and really like these new small very quiet DVRs. So thank you Comcast.

New Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

I'm confused as X1 also uses that feature as mentioned here:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-anyroom-dvr-overview

When a customer makes  a change, how does that affect the features mentioned in the  article?

That is why I think this is a technology patent issue. That Comcast was using a technology of another company and has to stop.

They lost a patent to Tivo.

Which X1 box(es) do you have?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

The feature they lost I believe was the ability to schedule a DVR recording remotely over the web.   It wasn't an X1-specific feature; I used it many times on my non-X1 equipment.    It also has nothing to do with AnyRoom; rather just DVR.

Jeff

Regular Contributor

@jwhite44 wrote:

The feature they lost I believe was the ability to schedule a DVR recording remotely over the web.   It wasn't an X1-specific feature; I used it many times on my non-X1 equipment.    It also has nothing to do with AnyRoom; rather just DVR.

That feature is back again.  I think they did lose the patent battle but must have arranged a license or it has expired now.

Silver Problem Solver

deleted

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!