Community Forum

Why is Any Room DVR service ending?

Valued Contributor

Why is Any Room DVR service ending?

Received my latest bill today and see that Any room DVR service will not be available to new customers or existing customers who change their service. Why is this no longer available?  How does it effect me with my 2 DVR system? Are my 2 DVR going to be stand alone systems that won't talk to each other?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Why is Any Room DVR service ending?

It’s probably a billing line item, not a technical change. Anyroom dvr is what legacy dvrs used, introduced around 2010

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

No it is a technical change starting 12/20.

Valued Contributor

I have a feeling that it is to get customers to pay for the more expensive DVR boxes to have that service in other areas of your house.  Not sure if that is the reason but have a strong feeling it is.  the way the notice is worded it would appear that any change to your service, TV, Internet, or phone service will make it go away.  It will be interesting if any official comcast person replies to explain this change.

Silver Problem Solver

@fedup978 wrote:

I have a feeling that it is to get customers to pay for the more expensive DVR boxes to have that service in other areas of your house.  Not sure if that is the reason but have a strong feeling it is.  the way the notice is worded it would appear that any change to your service, TV, Internet, or phone service will make it go away.  It will be interesting if any official comcast person replies to explain this change.

I can't find that in my bill; where did you see it?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Silver Problem Solver

I thought AnyRoom was the older service for the legacy/iGuide boxes. As far as I know, it's a built-in feature of X1.

Valued Contributor

bottom right hand side of my bill with a bunch of other notices with all the  channel changes taking place.   This was on my most recent bill.

Silver Problem Solver

@fedup978 wrote:

bottom right hand side of my bill with a bunch of other notices with all the  channel changes taking place.   This was on my most recent bill.

I'm looking at my online bil - what page are you seeing this.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Valued Contributor

If that is the case why not state that in the message instead of leaving customers guessing why it is happening?  

Valued Contributor

it was on the bottom of the first sheet of the bill 

Valued Contributor

This is from my bill:

Xfinity TV Update: Effective December 20, 2019, AnyRoom DVR Service will
no longer be available for new subscriptions. If you currently have AnyRoom DVR
Service, you will continue to receive this service until you make a change or you
receive further notice.

Silver Problem Solver

@fedup978 wrote:

it was on the bottom of the first sheet of the bill 

Maybe on next month's bill?

Google doesn't fnd any mention.

Regular Contributor

Just guessing, but that may have been an early version that is replaced by the X1 service now.  Note the link near the top of this page: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-anyroom-dvr pointing to https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-anyroom-dvr-overview?.

I can't imagine Comcast dropping the X1 service with all the secondary boxes out that have no internal dvr or tuners.  You can probably see what choices will replace it if you look at the online offers to upgrade in your area.

Valued Contributor

I don't know why the change. At first I thought it might have something to do with not having permission to use the technology. I know that Comcast was in a lawsuit with TIVO a while back because of using TIVO DVR technology without permission. But now my focus is how will the technology work with my two DVRs. Will I have to specifically program shows I want to see in the living room on the living room DVR and shows I want to see in the bedroom on the bedroom DVR? What a pain.

Diamond Problem Solver

I escalated it up the chain to get an explanation of the bill notification

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

bottom right hand side of my bill with a bunch of other notices with all the channel changes taking place. This was on my most recent bill.

My bill only has yada yada yada concerning Latino package.
Valued Contributor

@CCAndrew wrote:

Andrew no response to the ticket on the Anyroom DVR yet?

Expert

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:

Andrew no response to the ticket on the Anyroom DVR yet?

if there was an official response to the escalation it would be in this thread.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Hi, just want to thank you for trying to find out what is going on with this for the rest of us since Comcast/Xfinity doesn't like to explain things.

Contributor

Hi, just a note. Today I "got" my bill and all that was stated about additional information at the end of the statement only addressed the dropping of Starz, Encore and all of the associated channels nothing about the anyroom dvr service, I expect this was a computer error on the part of Comcast because of this and other posts but this is the kind of issue that makes people upset. The lack of communication and the lack of explanation being the 2 main problems. There should be a way to communicate with the people who are making the decisions so that it is understood how these affect the customers. The fact that as of this posting there has been no response to this issue is a case in point.

Contributor

Any room DVR is not included with X1 service. I have X1 and I pay additional for Anyroom DVR.

Expert

@OldTVGuide wrote:

Any room DVR is not included with X1 service. I have X1 and I pay additional for Anyroom DVR.

yes X1 is currently anyroom DVR service. like you I 'pay' for the Anyroom DVR fee but that fee is misleading. many plans include the first X1 XD (non-DVR) in the plan. if you wish to upgrade to 'an anyroom DVR for $10' instead then you see that fee. it really should say something like 'HD to DVR upgrade for included set top box'. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

But the issue is that new customers can't get Any Room service any longer and existing customers who have it can keep it until they change their service/current contract and then once they make a change they will lose it. So my questions are why is Comcast stopping the service? Is it a legal/patent issue that it is someone elses technology and Comcast has lost the rights to use it? And how will my 2 DVR's function in the future once I don't have the Any Room technology?

Silver Problem Solver

No mention of dropping it here:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-anyroom-dvr-overview

My guess is that it is being dropped from certain contracts;  check your account and see if there are any services that include it.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/rate-card/

Valued Contributor

It was posted at the end of my last bill as documented in one of the posts above. I assume it is for all Comcast clients who currently use the Any Room service. It may not be on the bill of customers who don't  currently use Any Room since why tell someone who isn't using a service that they won't be able to take it in the future if they don't sign up in the next month. First, some customers may sign up which isn't what Comcast wants, any new customers for this service, and second other customers who don't sign up may just get mad at Comcast for taking a service away, even though they don't use it. Some customers feel they are paying for a certain level of service and when some of the services are taken away without an equal adjustment down of the monthly bill that this is a back door way of raising the price.

Regular Contributor

Did/do you have X1 service to begin with - or was this with a different DVR type?

Contributor

Hi, i also pay for the service and like the ability to watch in "anyroom" ending it without explanation is not the way things should be handled.

Regular Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have 2 X1 DVRs and currently use the anyroom to watch whatever has been recorded on either DVR in either room. (Yes we record way too much stuff. I actually record a lot of daily financial shows that I watch portions of and then delete them so I record and delete many many shows each day.)