Community Forum

Why has the amber LED on my X1 DVR been on recently while watching TV?

New Poster

Re: Why has the amber LED on my X1 DVR been on recently while watching TV?

Oddly, I went to device settings, then device lights. I turned the light to zero, it went out. When I turned the setting back to 1, the light stayed off. Who knew?
Regular Contributor

@Billh129 wrote:
Really that’s the Comcast employees answer. Replace the box for one without the light. There goes all your recordings on DVR

When you swap an X1 DVR you don't lose your cloud recordings.  That is your last 60 hours  of recordings made in the last 6 months will still be there (although the cloud version will only have stereo audio).   And, you don't need to replace the box to get rid of lights - most or all of them have a setting to turn the lights off if they bother you.

Regular Contributor

You tell people with confidence that they will keep their last 60 hours of recordings, and I can tell you for a fact that when I swapped my box last week, I only had 15 hours of my 60+ hours of recordings and Comcast couldn’t help me.
Regular Contributor

I also included 'made in the last 6 months'.  Was that true for your recordings that were not saved?  What you see online at https://www.xfinity.com/stream/recordings should be the clould copies if you want to check before swapping a box out.

Contributor

Light stays out only until next time you turn the box off and on thenit is back

Contributor

11/11/19 I've been a Comcast/Xfinity user for 25 yrs, and up until a few days ago, have never had an amber light on my DVR box.  
When I called, they said it was "transmitting data".  Not sure why there is a need to have a light on to show this, I'm sure it's been transmitting data for the past 25 yrs.

Solution:  take a small piece of black duct tape and place it over the light.  It is very annoying.

Regular Contributor

Unless you have one of the boxes with a clock and you use it, just go into settings and turn all the lights off.

Contributor

I had the same issue and each time I called Xfinity, I was told data is transmitting.  Not sure why we need to see a light to know this?

My solution was to take a piece of black duct tape and paste it over the light.  
no more annoying light.  11/11/19

New Poster

The light has gone by itself.
Contributor

I had the same issue and each time I called Xfinity, I was told data is transmitting.  Not sure why we need to see a light to know this?

no more annoying light.

Official Employee

@pmell20 wrote:

no more annoying light.

Apologies. This behavior is not intentional or expected. Our team has identified the issue and there is an upcoming update that will correct this errant behavior. Thanks for your patience.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

@Billh129 wrote:
Really that’s the Comcast employees answer. Replace the box for one without the light. There goes all your recordings on DVR

Apologies. This behavior is not intentional or expected. Our team has identified the issue and there is an upcoming update that will correct this errant behavior. Thanks for your patience.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Best response so far....thanks!
New Poster

So a technician just came to my home, changed wiring that I specifically told him did not need to be done, all over this exact issue that you all were aware of a month ago?!?!?!? So now not only do I have $40 trip fee but I have issues with my internet service that I did not have before this visit.
Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@pmell20 wrote:

no more annoying light.

Hmmm - never had the problem until this morning - Googling it brought me here.

I hope the fix wasn't pushed last night because if it was, it appears they got it backwards 

Official Employee

@Herbaldew wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@pmell20 wrote:

no more annoying light.

I hope the fix wasn't pushed last night because if it was, it appears they got it backwards 

Fix has not been rolled out yet. Thanks for your patience. 

New Poster

I know this was a few months ago, but my light is on as well. I have zero messages.
New Poster

easy fix...go to settings..device settings...device lights..power light brightness...toggle from 1 2 3 ..orange goes off ..done!!
Regular Contributor

The light is only gone temporarily. It will come back.
Contributor

Glad to hear you are working on a fix

No one else and Comcast had a clue that is was a real problem

Hope Comcast sends out an e-mail or something when the fix is released

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Herbaldew wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@pmell20 wrote:

no more annoying light.

Fix has not been rolled out yet. Thanks for your patience. 

Contributor

Woke up this morning, no more amber light.  Seems to be fixed.

Frequent Visitor

Uh. No. It's still on.

New Poster

I have the same issue. Pace XG1V1, is what I have. No msg's either.
New Poster

That doesn’t really answer the question ...... and “don’t worry about it “ doesn’t work in an age when big tech companies spy on their customers
Diamond Problem Solver

@RENAGADEPETIE
The camera on the face of the DVR is disabled.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Just a thought...is it a data light?  Possibly alerting of data tracking?  Are your settings allowing for data tracking or do you have any control over it?  Did you give permissions to Comcast/Xfinity to track data?  New rules passed by Congress may allow tracking as it seems Fortune has an article on that.  https://fortune.com/2017/03/27/online-privacy-data-collection-verizon-att-comcast-congress/

New Poster

Because it wasn’t on and now it is. It won’t go off. It Will with a reboot but only temporary.
New Poster

This worked for me.
New Poster

Ha..that’s why I’m here this morning. Noticed it last night.
Official Employee

@macfin62 wrote:

Just a thought...is it a data light?  Possibly alerting of data tracking?  Are your settings allowing for data tracking or do you have any control over it?  Did you give permissions to Comcast/Xfinity to track data?  New rules passed by Congress may allow tracking as it seems Fortune has an article on that.  https://fortune.com/2017/03/27/online-privacy-data-collection-verizon-att-comcast-congress/

Apologies. This behavior is not intentional or expected. Nothing nefarious is going on here.  Our team has identified the tehnical issue with the light on certain models of X1 devices and there is an upcoming update that will correct this errant behavior. Thanks for your patience.

Regular Visitor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@macfin62 wrote:

Apologies. This behavior is not intentional or expected. Nothing nefarious is going on here.  Our team has identified the tehnical issue with the light on certain models of X1 devices and there is an upcoming update that will correct this errant behavior. Thanks for your patience.

I think that is all that needs to be said.  The issue was a small light and now we know Comcast techs know about it.  Wait for the update.  

Regular Contributor

ComcastTeds -

When I went to the Comcast store to get a new DVR, the employee there tried to give me the same model. You need to share with your employees that there is a problem with this model so people won’t waste their time coming home with a box that’s going to do the same thing as the one they just traded in.

Because I’ve been reading these what seems like hundreds of comments in this thread, I told the guy I did not want the same model, I wanted the newer 4K model. He then told me that if I got the 4K model without having a 4K TV, my resolution would go from 1080p to 780i. Told him I would take my chances.

Brought the box home and my resolution is still 1080p. And there’s no annoying amber light.
Silver Problem Solver

@JodieNJ wrote:
ComcastTeds -

When I went to the Comcast store to get a new DVR, the employee there tried to give me the same model. You need to share with your employees that there is a problem with this model so people won’t waste their time coming home with a box that’s going to do the same thing as the one they just traded in.

Because I’ve been reading these what seems like hundreds of comments in this thread, I told the guy I did not want the same model, I wanted the newer 4K model. He then told me that if I got the 4K model without having a 4K TV, my resolution would go from 1080p to 780i. Told him I would take my chances.

Brought the box home and my resolution is still 1080p. And there’s no annoying amber light.

Did you try all your TV's HDMI ports?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Yhanks for the info about the Box

Regular Visitor

Turning device lights off did not do it for me. My clock went out but the amber light stayed on. 

Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@JodieNJ wrote:
ComcastTeds -

Did you try all your TV's HDMI ports?

You misunderstood my post. The Comcast guy told me that I would have a problem with a 4K box with my HD TV. There is NO problem.

Regular Contributor

@JodieNJ wrote:

You misunderstood my post. The Comcast guy told me that I would have a problem with a 4K box with my HD TV. There is NO problem.

You should be able to set the xg1v4 output to 720 or 1080 for non-4k TVs.  Or in most cases it will automatically detect what the TV can accept.  Most Comcast content is 720p anyway and just upscaled if you set it higher.   The local broadcast channels may keep the native 1080i format and some of the apps can deliver 4k content.

Regular Contributor

My point was that the Comcast employee told me that I would get a lower resolution on my TV then I was getting  if I got a 4K box. He tried to talk me out of getting the 4K box. He was wrong.. 

New Poster

Sure hope this gets fixed soon!  There have been an awful lot of posts for a silly little light.

Regular Visitor

The light problem IS FIXED.  My unit took an update two nights ago and the Data light has been off since.  This even after a power down of the box which when turning it on, would make the data light come back.  It hasn't come back.  Your box will get the update sooner or later.  Problem is solved. 

Frequent Visitor

Did not go off
Regular Visitor

@kansasbill wrote:
Did not go off

Read my reply above yours from earlier today. 

Frequent Visitor

No. The problem has not been solved.
Regular Contributor

Updates are usually rolled out to different users over some period of time.   Some may not have it yet.

New Poster

The idea of going to settings and turn off the display light then turn it back on WORKED. Orange light is now off !!!
New Poster

I don’t know why it is on but I find that if I got into the device settings and change the brightness of the power button from 1 to 2 and back again, the light goes out.... until it turns on again of course. I don’t know if it occurs nightly after a reboot/update or what. In any case, my trick might work for you all too...

Contributor

My light has been out for about a week.  Not sure what they did, but it's gone.

Frequent Visitor

Not here. Still annoyingly on.
New Poster

Go to settings:device settings: select sync screen then “sync screen now” and boom!!!!
New Poster

Go to settings:device settings: select sync DVR then “sync DVR now” and boom!!!!