Community Forum

Why has the amber LED on my X1 DVR been on recently while watching TV?

New Poster

Why has the amber LED on my X1 DVR been on recently while watching TV?

During the last few days when watching TV , the amber LED on my DVR comes on and stays on. Any ideas why?

Expert

Re: Why has the amber LED on my X1 DVR been on recently while watching TV?

@JLP57 wrote:

During the last few days when watching TV , the amber LED on my DVR comes on and stays on. Any ideas why?

while watching live tv, press the 'Left' button. are there notifications?  if so, select the X to clear. did the LED go off?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@JLP57 wrote:

while watching live tv, press the 'Left' button. are there notifications?  if so, select the X to clear. did the LED go off?

No joy. There were no notifications. Annoying amber LED still lit.

Comcast had no idea. They stated "Maybe the light is broken" !!

Silver Problem Solver

@JLP57 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@JLP57 wrote:

Which model do you have?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

yellow light on cable box will not go out, no messages

yellow light came on notifying me of a new message.  I read it and deleted it, but light stays on.

New Poster

Re: yellow light on cable box will not go out, no messages

Same here, I didnt notice it before today
New Poster

Same here. Double checked and no messages, pulled power for a minute and the box took a while to initialize, but the solid yellow data light is still there
Silver Problem Solver

I wonder if this is a message in Xfinity Connect?

https://connect.xfinity.com/voice/settings/voicemailindicator;tn=7136690814

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

I've been encountering the same issue for the last couple of weeks.

It's not Xfinity voice mail (those messages have all been delited), it's not Xfinity system messages (there were none).

If I reboot the DVR, the light goes away.  But it's there again in the morning.

New Poster

i'm having the same problem, unplug and reboot and it goes away for a few hours then comes back.

Problem Solver

@NotThatGuy wrote:
Same here. Double checked and no messages, pulled power for a minute and the box took a while to initialize, but the solid yellow data light is still there

Same here - checked and no message - scrolled to "Help" with remote and refreshed signal and it went out. So did we for 8 hours or so, came home put on TV and yellow light beside clock is back?

(Again, no messages???)

New Poster

I have noticed the same on my X1 box and I, too, do not have any new notifications (any notifications, in fact).

No remedies identified??
Silver Problem Solver

One thing you can try is a restart.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-reboot-my-set-top-box

Problem Solver

I've noticed it goes out overnight, but comes back on as soon as TV is powered on. Still no messages to read?

Problem Solver

@MikeB39A wrote:

I've noticed it goes out overnight, but comes back on as soon as TV is powered on. Still no messages to read?

IMG_6983.jpg
Problem Solver

@JLP57 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@JLP57 wrote:

Have the same issue (along with others in other thread) - no messages ust this :

IMG_6983.jpg
New Poster

My box has the same issue. I've rebooted and unplugged and the light goes out. Then I turn on the box and it comes back. 🤦‍♀️
Problem Solver

@TommyCa wrote:
My box has the same issue. I've rebooted and unplugged and the light goes out. Then I turn on the box and it comes back. 🤦‍♀️

Apparently many of us have this problem but there hasn't been a fix yet. When they refresh the signal nightly or if you refresh it, it goes out until you turn on your TV again.

New Poster

Same problem for me. Reboot no help. No messages / notifications.

It is really boosting my electric bill!

Frequent Visitor

Same problem here. No messages to clear.
New Poster

Yellow light

What does the yellow light on DVR mean?
New Poster

Re: Yellow light

My yellow data light has been on for 3 days. No messages, doesn’t go away with rebooting. Can someone help us figure this out?!
New Poster

It says Data next to it. Idk either.
Frequent Visitor

It is happening to us too! Woke up this morning and the yellow data light was on and zero messages. I unplugged box and  rebooted. The light went off . Then my system went into power saving mode and when I turned everything back on the light was back on! I turned power saver off and will report back if the light stays off overnight or comes back on. It sounds like a Comcast update has put a glitch in our boxes.

Silver Problem Solver

Include the model in your posts so we can see if it is just one that has the issue.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

Frequent Visitor

Update to yellow light staying on. I had turned off the power saving option  and rebooted. When I woke this morning and looked at my box in the morning the yellow data light was still off. I turned on the system and the light stayed off. So it seems you can turn on power saver and leave the data light on all the time and let your box go into hibernation. Or you can turn power saver off reboot and and leave your box on all the time and not look at the yellow data light.  Choices choices...We have an Arris XG1-A.

Regular Visitor

Why does the amber light stay on for the last 3 days in front of the cable box

Diamond Problem Solver

If the DVR is working, why worry about it? Put a piece of electrical tape over it and you’re done. Better yet upgrade your older dvr to the newest dvr, with no lights.
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Xfinity-4k-XG1v4-Cable-Box-Availability/td-p/2987898

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Mine has been on for a few days and have been wondering why. It says data so I thought maybe it was trying to say I’ve used a lot of data with my internet but when I look at my numbers from previous months, I haven’t used as much so idk. I went into the setting to the light brightness of the box and when I did that and put it to Zero and back to 1 where I had it, the light on the box went away. Idk...
Problem Solver

Last night about 10pm or so my set top box went off and it was obviously getting a refreshed signal to it because after this happened, the amber light is now out and is staying out. Thank you Comcast!

Regular Visitor

That worked for me....thanks!
Contributor

A reboot made my data light go off but as soon as the box was turned on again, so did the data light. I finally got the light to turn off after reading a post from another poster.

I went to the menu screen to the section that adjusts the brightness of devices. Turned the setting to OFF and then back to where I had it. Data light turned off...finally!!!

As with other posters, I had NO messages from xfinity.

Problem Solver

@MikeB39A wrote:

Last night about 10pm or so my set top box went off and it was obviously getting a refreshed signal to it because after this happened, the amber light is now out and is staying out. Thank you Comcast!

Well, it was fine for 1 day. After the overnight refresh, the amber light is back.  Smiley Sad

Regular Visitor

Another user in the thread said to change the power and clock light settings to 0 or low/off and then reset. It went off after I did that it has not returned so far...I will need to check tonight.

New Poster

Turning the brightness levels off and back on seems to be working for me.

Go to settings/device settings/device lights

Turn off Power Light Brightness and Clock Light Brightness.  Then return both settings to where they were.

Problem Solver

@khdailey wrote:

Turn off Power Light Brightness and Clock Light Brightness.  Then return both settings to where they were.

I just did that and it worked for me too!  I suppose if it (amber data light) eventually comes back on that just turned the first setting (not clock) off would be a work around.

New Poster

Orange light on cable box says data next to it?

It started 3 days ago. No messages to read. Solid light no idea why?????

New Poster

Since I turned off Power Saving, the amber "data" LED has remained off.

Thank you to the person who suggested that.

Problem Solver

Regular Visitor

Only works temporarily; have to do it every time I turn the box back on. 😟
Problem Solver

@jsidewater wrote:
Only works temporarily; have to do it every time I turn the box back on. 😟

Try turning off power saver - it worked for me - good luck!

Regular Visitor

I just changed it down then up the light went out and 6 hrs later it’s hasn't come back. Must be some kind of bug in the software.
Official Employee

Apologies for the issue and the experience that was described above.

Our teams are aware of this occurring on certain older models and versions of the X1 boxes. The teams are still reviewing the root cause.

A few things below:

- As we use RF Pairing for our X1 boxes and remote controls, the box needn’t be visible at all; the XG1 can be completely hidden from view.

- Setting the Device Lights setting to zero or off will turn the light off.

- Some customers have also reported that they got the light to stay off after turning off Power Saver feature.

Thanks for the feedback and apologies for this issue.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Turning lights off does it.

New Poster

I have had the same problem for the last few weeks I’ve tried everything nothing works I have the same receiver that’s pictured
New Poster

I have the same problem with the amber light by data on contantly.  They rebooted but nothing happened.

Diamond Problem Solver

Did either read the post directly above yours that is the answer, that it’s a known issue. Don’t worry about it.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Going to the device light area and setting to off thrn reseting to 1 Worked! Thanks

New Poster

Update to my prior post. Turning the clock light off will eliminate the amber light, BUT it returns when  box is turned on the next day.

Regular Visitor

Yup.