TerriB's profile

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

Friday, January 18th, 2019 11:00 AM

Closed

What happened to Smart Resume?

Smart Resume is no longer working on programs it worked on in recent history. We have not made any changes to any scheduled recordings or settings and its still toggled on in Comcast Labs. Watching last night's 'How to Get Away with Murder' which airs on ABC  which as always had Smart Resume and its not showing up.  New season started last night and I completely forgot that I missed the last two from last season in Nov ( they got 'lost' in our long DVR list I guess)  while we were on vacation and was catching up and smart resume was on both those recordings but when I went to watch first episode of this season from last night it was not  there.  Same experience with Chicago PD this week which airs on NBC. Please help me understand. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

5 years ago

***UPDATED BEST ANSWER AS OF 07/2019***

Smart Resume lets you to easily resume watching your program after fast-forwarding through commercial breaks in DVR recordings. When you start to fast forward, you’ll automatically be returned to where the show picks up once the break’s over. 

Smart Resume was recently removed from the Comcast Labs menu. It’s now turned on by default and found in Settings > Preferences > General.

Turn Smart Resume On or Off from X1 Settings

Here's how to turn on Smart Resume:

1. Press the xfinity button on your X1 Voice Remote.
  2. Use the right arrow to go over to the Settings menu (gear icon).
    The Settings icon is displayed as a gear along the screen's right edge. 
  3. Choose Preferences, then General.
    The Preferences selection is second from the top of the screen.
    The General selection is along the top. 
  4. Press the down arrow to highlight Smart Resume for Recordings, and press OK (or the round button in the center of the directional pad) to toggle it Off or On.
    Smart Resume for Recordings is displayed in the middle of three options

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I use Smart Resume for all programs and networks?
No. Smart Resume isn't available for all programs and networks. Right now, Smart Resume is only available for top shows on NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, CW, Bravo, HGTV, Discovery, MTV and TLC. It can only be used on eligible programs you recorded after January 1, 2019.

How do I know if a recording has Smart Resume?
While playing a recording, yellow areas on the timeline show where there are commercial breaks. If you fast-forward during one of the breaks, a “With Smart Resume” badge appears in the middle of the screen.

What if I’m fast-forwarding and don’t want to stop at the end of a commercial break?
To continue fast-forwarding, press the   fast forward  button five times to enable   Lightning Mode.

How do I turn off Smart Resume?
If you wanted to turn it off, go to   Settings > Preferences > General  as outlined in the section below. Then, highlight   Smart Resume for Recordings  and press   OK.
For more information on the Smart Resume feature see here:  https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/dvr-smart-resume

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@TerriB wrote:

Smart Resume is no longer working on programs it worked on in recent history. We have not made any changes to any scheduled recordings or settings and its still toggled on in Comcast Labs. Watching last night's 'How to Get Away with Murder' which airs on ABC  which as always had Smart Resume and its not showing up.  New season started last night and I completely forgot that I missed the last two from last season in Nov ( they got 'lost' in our long DVR list I guess)  while we were on vacation and was catching up and smart resume was on both those recordings but when I went to watch first episode of this season from last night it was not  there.  Same experience with Chicago PD this week which airs on NBC. Please help me understand. 

it is a beta product so we have to expect glitches from time to time.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

5 years ago

Thanks Rustyben...this has never happened before and I have been using the feature for a long time.

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

5 years ago

@TerriB,

As mentioned by Rustyben Smart Resume is part of our Comcast Labs features. 

You will notice that when navigating to Comcast Labs you will notice the following message: "Comcast Labs allows you to try out experimental new features on you TV. These features may change, not work, or go away at any time."

This unfortunately means that there is little we can do to "fix" this feature if it is not working correctly. If this feature is fully added to the X1 UI then we will be able to assist  at that time if it does not function as designed. 

It is also good to note that Smart Resume allows you to automatically fast forward through ad breaks. Currently, this is only available on recordings of ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, and CW primetime shows 30 minutes after the program end time. 

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

5 years ago

@ComcastJessie wrote:

@TerriB,

As mentioned by Rustyben Smart Resume is part of our Comcast Labs features. 

You will notice that when navigating to Comcast Labs you will notice the following message: "Comcast Labs allows you to try out experimental new features on you TV. These features may change, not work, or go away at any time."

This unfortunately means that there is little we can do to "fix" this feature if it is not working correctly. If this feature is fully added to the X1 UI then we will be able to assist  at that time if it does not function as designed. 

It is also good to not that Smart Resume allows you to automatically fast forward through ad breaks. Currently, this is only available on recordings of ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, and CW primetime shows 30 minutes after the program end time. 

===

Yes I am  educated as to exactly how Smart Resume under Labs works   but Rustyben bluntly saying there can be glitches like I am stupid was not a  helpful response to what I was experiencing.  We program dozens of series a week and use and enjoy Smart Resume a lot and have since it became part of Labs. It has always worked as described/intended until recently when it became inconsistent . Same shows, recorded same way/same channel/ same time  as before  with no modifications to the settings suddenly had no smart resume from one episode to another. Bottom line is that I guess we just can't rely on it and nothing can be done but thanks for the reply.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

5 years ago

@schnappsy wrote:

My problem is the smart resume option is there, but doesn’t work properly. It happened on a fox show and 2 others but I can’t remember what channel. For the record, it doesn’t appear on all shows on a channel. CBS doesn’t seem to have it on all shows. 

My vote is to keep the smart resume, but make sure it works properly. 

I am sure you already know this but just for a reminder...... the recording needs to be 'optioned' for HD channel between 8-11PM on NBC, FOX, ABC, CBS only. I never had a problem until recently.  I would love it to be available on all cable channels and to work properly all the time. Its easy to get really spoiled using it.

Contributor

• 

94 Messages

5 years ago

My problem is the smart resume option is there, but doesn’t work properly. It happened on a fox show and 2 others but I can’t remember what channel. For the record, it doesn’t appear on all shows on a channel. CBS doesn’t seem to have it on all shows. 

My vote is to keep the smart resume, but make sure it works properly. 

Contributor

• 

94 Messages

5 years ago

Yes, I already know that, but here’s a good one. I have found it on TLC shows too. 

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

5 years ago

@schnappsy wrote:

Yes, I already know that, but here’s a good one. I have found it on TLC shows too. 

Well thats news for sure that its working on other than the major networks. I wonder when they expanded it?

ComcastJessie....can you help us with this new development please?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I just noticed my smart resume went away as well, I got curious and went to check out Comcast labs to see if it was still an option or if it was removed and it was just turned off. While it’s annoying that it was turned off, I’m just glad it’s still available. Crossing my fingers it still works!

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

5 years ago

@Brady549 wrote:
I just noticed my smart resume went away as well, I got curious and went to check out Comcast labs to see if it was still an option or if it was removed and it was just turned off. While it’s annoying that it was turned off, I’m just glad it’s still available. Crossing my fingers it still works!

Rustyben said there are glitches in Labs features but to me that is not a satisfactory response. Sounds like if something goes wrong with a Labs feature they don't do anything to fix it.  We have had it 'turned' on since they offered it and it was fine on major networks in prime time as described and then  recently it  is randomly not working.  We have dozens of primetime shows scheduled as series recordings and have not messed with any settings.  One episode would have smart resume and then the next one didn't and then the next one did. Just happened again with Big Brother this week. Frustrating to say the least.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

5 years ago

ComcastJessie I posted this a few days ago and thought I would get a quick answer but have not seen any reply at all. Can you help please. Thanks

===

Can someone tell me why the progress bar is sometimes  blue and gold and sometimes black and gray when smart resume is running ? May seem like a silly question but we sure would like to know.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

5 years ago

@comcastjessie ...thanks for the reply. I have read all that about Smart Resume before  and even googled trying to find out about the color difference of the progress bar that changes often during the same recording before I asked on the forum. I am surprised that no one has asked besides me. I assume its 'cosmetic'  but surely there was some rationale when they developed the feature for Labs.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Smart resume is gone at my house as well. I’ve had a system refresh as well. Nothing

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Not completely true, I am sure there are other networks for which it works, i.e. TLC. Smart resume also leaves some channel promos intact at resume. Must be channel specific where to place the sensor.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here