nick112288's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Friday, November 29th, 2019 4:00 PM

Closed

Pairing Samsung remote to XG1v4

So just got a new Samsung 4k tv and had Comcast send me a new XG1v4 box.

I'm trying to set up my Samsung remote to change channels through the TV. I'm hoping to have one less remote/switch inputs.

Going through the setup process the TV recognizes comcast as a local provider, and when I search the box it finds that model to, but the Samsung remote won't change the channel.

Can the cable be changed with the remote, or am I stuck using 2 remotes?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

4 years ago

Does the Samsung remote state it can control cable boxes? There should be setup codes for Comcast or Xfinity.

Be aware that this will only be IR control. I've heard the XG1v4 is VERY picky about aiming for IR control. The normal Comcast remote uses RF, with IR as a backup.

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

If the  TV has an IR blaster, put the sender near the front lower right of the XG1v4.  But, you'll probably need to keep the X1 remote handy anyway if you use any of the apps from it.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I also recently purchased a Samsung 4K Q60R and switched from my original HD only Xfinity X1 box to the
XG1v4. With the old box I was able to add the device to the Samsung TV and use only my Samsung remote to control the box. It was all menu based in the Samsung platform but worked very well once I got used to it. That box was positioned in my entertainment center about 1 ft below the tv. I swapped in the new 4K box and it is just as you state, it seems to have the model number in the list but fails to change the channel during the test and I’ve tried every variation from the device number, model number, just X1 Or Xfinity... nothing works. Perhaps Samsung will update the TV to work with the newer box?

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

4 years ago

I need an education on this. Why match the Samsung remote to the DVR rather than match the Comcast remote to the TV? Does the Samsung remote do all the functions of the DVR?  What doesn't the Comcast remote do that you want to use the Samsung remote instead?

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

If you use 'smart' features of a TV or the TV's native apps you need to use the TVs own remote.   The TV remote may be able to bring up the X1's menus and control it, though.   My Sony remote can do most operations but it's awkward enough that I just leave both remotes out.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

For now I'll just keep both remotes handy, nothing I tried worked

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

4 years ago

The "smart" features are features used through the TV's internet connection?  I never turned the smart side of my TV on. I assumed using the TV and the remote would be cumbersome and using my computer is just much easier.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Kids watch Disney+ and Netflix through the TVs smart features.

I've found the TV apps are much more responsive and less laggy than the Xfinity box apps.

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

I assumed using the TV and the remote would be cumbersome and using my computer is just much easier.

Using the TV 'smart' apps is appropriate for streaming video (and music if the TV is connected to your speaker system).   Many of them will overlap with the apps available on the X1 box (Netflix/Amazon/Pandora, etc.) but some different apps may be available on the TV (Hulu, Disney+, and others) and some of the native apps may be better (for example YouTube may have HDR capability).  Also, some apps on the X1 may require their own subscription paid through Xfinity (Qello concerts, for example) where the native TV app may be somewhat different and allow existing separate subscriptions to work.

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

4 years ago

I have same samsung tv was able to pair tv, you need to update tv software....

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

I don't know if Samsung handles TV updates the same way as Sony, but they roll updates out over some period of time.  In my case I could go to the web site with a PC and see a newer update but it took nearly a month before it showed up on the TV, even if I tried to check manually.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

The interface for the Samsung SmartHub on my Q60R is suprisingly nice. Before I switched xfinity boxes from the old HD X1 DVR to the new 4k XG1v4-A everything worked just fine using the Samsung remote through the Samsung Smarthub Xfinity "App" to control all things related to the box. I use the TV hub for VUDU, Disney+ and AppleTV apps as well as Netflix, Prime Video, etc. 

My biggest concern when shopping for a new TV was having to use multiple remotes and considered buying a Harmony remote also... in the end after seeing the Samsung Smarthub platform in action I realized my concerns were unfounded. My TV is set to autupdate software, but I have manually checked for updates frequently (last night) and no update was available. I have also experienced success on two occasions while going through the Samsung Unversal Remote setup process... it asks for the device (Xg1v4) and then shows a PIP and a channel up/down button to test whether the control will work. Twice it has worked and changed the channel on the box successfully and I proceeded to save the setup. It worked as expected for a short period of time and either because the TV was turned off or I opened a different app (VUDU, AppleTV) it stopped working. The Xfinity "app" still appears and I can select it and it pops up the sub menu for controls but selecting any of the controls no longer works.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

This link takes you Xfinity remotes, need to pair Sansung One remote to Xfinity box 

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

4 years ago

Its so easy to program the samsung remote. Just go on youtube to find how to video...

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Show video link showing pairing Samsung Q60 one remote with XG1v4A Xfinity 4K box 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here