Arth's profile

Contributor

• 

50 Messages

Wednesday, January 2nd, 2019 9:00 AM

Closed

Re: X1 TV Box--Sporadic "NO SIGNAL" Message

I have been experiencing sporadic no signal message when turning on tv from being off.  The tv input is correct.  The xfinity tv signal returns after refresh or reboot of x1 box.  xfinity technical support on phone just did refresh and said no problem.  Any suggestions for a more permanent fix.  I can replace coax to box and hdmi from box to tv  or replace box.  My small external box in bedroom works during the signal loss at main box and anyroom dvr continues to work.  Any thoughts?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Contributor

• 

50 Messages

5 years ago

Contact xfinity support again and ask them to check to see if you have the latest firmware update for your dvr box.  Should have been about July 7, I think.  That seems to help with the hdmi handshake issue.  Good luck

Regular Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Any solution? I experience this as well except my box is in the basement so I have to use the app to restart. Another annoying glitch of Xfinity that I never had to deal with fios. This is why I don’t lock myself into contracts. The technology is not reliable.

Contributor

• 

50 Messages

5 years ago

I am having a comcast tech visit tomorrow to take a look at the x1 dvr box and the sporadic loss of signal.  It only happens when tv is off and I turn it on and I don't have a signal, requiring a reboot of box to reacquire signal.  I will post any info that helps if the tech figures it out.  

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Arth wrote:

I am having a comcast tech visit tomorrow to take a look at the x1 dvr box and the sporadic loss of signal.  It only happens when tv is off and I turn it on and I don't have a signal, requiring a reboot of box to reacquire signal.  I will post any info that helps if the tech figures it out.  

if you mean your TV's text saying no signal, that is a function of the HDMI handshake. changing the HDMI TV port to a different live HDMI device then back to the DVR usually akes up the connection. 

Contributor

• 

50 Messages

5 years ago

Well, comcast tech came out and replaced the x1 dvr box.   He thought the box might have a bad hdmi port with intermittent failure.   Everything seemed fine.  I turned off tv and several hours later I turned on tv to watch and I got no signal on my tv.  Thinking about trouble shooting, I got out a new hdmi cable and a another tv with hdmi port.  I removed the current hdmi cable from x1 box and replaced with new hdmi cable connected to different tv.  Still no signal.  I restarted x1 box and got signal.   I spoke again to tech and he suggested I reset power option in x1 system settings to "power off" to on.  He had heard this may resolve this dropped signal issue.  Obviously, two x1 boxes with the same issue appears not to be a box problem.  Contacted tech again for further action to resolve this ongoing issue.   Discussion of power option:  https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-power-save-faqs

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Everytime I power on my Tv with X1 remote I get a no signal message. I need to unplug the power on the x1 box and replying it in and the the signal will come through. This happens everytime I shut the tv off. This is the 2nd box I tried and the same issue happens. Could this be the hdmi cord or an incompatibility with the tv and X1 box? Comcast reps couldn’t figure it out. The TV is a Sony bravia 4K tv. It was the very first 4K tv to be released by Sony? Could it be something with the age of the Tv? 5 years old?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Shadysilvi wrote:
Everytime I power on my Tv with X1 remote I get a no signal message. I need to unplug the power on the x1 box and replying it in and the the signal will come through. This happens everytime I shut the tv off. This is the 2nd box I tried and the same issue happens. Could this be the hdmi cord or an incompatibility with the tv and X1 box? Comcast reps couldn’t figure it out. The TV is a Sony bravia 4K tv. It was the very first 4K tv to be released by Sony? Could it be something with the age of the Tv? 5 years old?

if this is the no-clock 4k X1 DVR version 4 it is a known problem comcast is working on. a quick fix when connection is lost is to use TV remote and change input to another HDMI working port (like roku, DVD, chromecast, etc), then change back. if you don't have a live port pulling and reinserting the HDMI cable end or reboot the box.

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

5 years ago

we have a Vizio UHD 4K tv and have had this problem for months on the x1 satelite box.  Every day, when starting up, no signal.  Had to unplug / replug the box, wait, then its fine.  Until the next morning.  The tech said that it was most likely due to schedule daily updates.  I changed the schedule to a time frame when we were not around and still had the issue.  I figured it was the box.  Upstairs with the X1 box, we had a Hisense tv that worked great until it died on Tuesday.  So, I moved the Vizio and connected it to the X1, it worked fine for that day, convincing me that the issue was the truly the other box.  Now, 2 days in a row, in the morning, after being off for a long time (6+ hrs), when the Vizio is turned on, there is no signal.  It does not matter what HDMI port is used, no signal.  If you turn the box off / on, you get signal and all is well.  I have read many other forum posts and it appears that this a known issue, yet is unresolved.  

Due to the frustration, and amount of money we are paying, we are about to jump to satelite (dish, etc.)

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@EaglesRidge wrote:

we have a Vizio UHD 4K tv and have had this problem for months on the x1 satelite box.  Every day, when starting up, no signal.  Had to unplug / replug the box, wait, then its fine.  Until the next morning.  The tech said that it was most likely due to schedule daily updates.  I changed the schedule to a time frame when we were not around and still had the issue.  I figured it was the box.  Upstairs with the X1 box, we had a Hisense tv that worked great until it died on Tuesday.  So, I moved the Vizio and connected it to the X1, it worked fine for that day, convincing me that the issue was the truly the other box.  Now, 2 days in a row, in the morning, after being off for a long time (6+ hrs), when the Vizio is turned on, there is no signal.  It does not matter what HDMI port is used, no signal.  If you turn the box off / on, you get signal and all is well.  I have read many other forum posts and it appears that this a known issue, yet is unresolved.  

Due to the frustration, and amount of money we are paying, we are about to jump to satelite (dish, etc.)

use the voice remote on your 'satellite' box connected TV and say 'about'. what is the rest of the line to the right of STB version?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I have this same issue. Started happening when I received the newer model cable box capable of Prime Video. If the TV is off for an extended period of time, the TV stops recognizing the HDMI signal. 

If I unplug the HDMI cable from the TV and plug it back in, it instantly starts working again. Restarting the cable box also fixes it. 

My power saver setting is turned to OFF.

There seems to be some issue with the way the cable box sends an HDMI signal while the box is idle.

Contributor

• 

50 Messages

5 years ago

After researching and talking to Comcast, I believe the problem with no signal at start up is caused by a improper hdmi "handshake" or signal transmission. Can be caused by a bad cable or loose connection, etc. I replaced cable and still had problem. Apparently, some TV's , I have a new Sony, will fail the hdmi handshake at turn on. I called Sony customer service and received no help. If the tv is turned on prior to cable box you have a greater chance of a successful handshake. The x1 dvr box never turns off so that option is not possible. Comcast did not have a suggested fix other than setting the power saver option to on. which turns off box after a long period of inactivity. That seems to have helped, although I still get the no signal problem but far less frequently. When that happens, I just restart the x1 box from my xfinity account app on my phone and signal is restored. Seems like a unresolved problem between the tv manufacturers and xfinity.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Arth wrote:
After researching and talking to Comcast, I believe the problem with no signal at start up is caused by a improper hdmi "handshake" or signal transmission. Can be caused by a bad cable or loose connection, etc. I replaced cable and still had problem. Apparently, some TV's , I have a new Sony, will fail the hdmi handshake at turn on. I called Sony customer service and received no help. If the tv is turned on prior to cable box you have a greater chance of a successful handshake. The x1 dvr box never turns off so that option is not possible. Comcast did not have a suggested fix other than setting the power saver option to on. which turns off box after a long period of inactivity. That seems to have helped, although I still get the no signal problem but far less frequently. When that happens, I just restart the x1 box from my xfinity account app on my phone and signal is restored. Seems like a unresolved problem between the tv manufacturers and xfinity.

this is a current firmware issue for the xg1v4 hd/4K dvr. no estimated time of fix.

Contributor

• 

50 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for informing me that this is an issue with the xfinity box and not my TV.   I will follow up with xfinity customer service and their local service staff to see what their time table is for this "firmware" fix to their box.  Seems odd that xfinity doesn't advise me of their equipment problem after discussing it with them numerous times and a home visit.

Contributor

• 

59 Messages

5 years ago

Hello @Rustyben,

We have the exact same issue. There is a "no signal" message on the TV every evening when we turn the TV back on.

When you suggest: "pulling and reinserting the HDMI cable end..."  do you mean remove the HDMI cable from the X1 box, the TV, or does it not matter?

Also, since you indicated Comcast knows of this issue, do you have any idea when and how it might be fixed?

Does the power save feature on the X1 box have anything to do with the issue?  We have it OFF.

Thank you.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

We had the same problem with a XG1V4 box.  The tech said it was because it was connected to an AV receiver that is not 4K compatible.  They gave us an older cable box XGV1V1.  It seems to have more latency when changing channels but it doesn't have the "No Signal" problem. 

Prior to the XG1V4,  we had an XG1V3 box that was defective (kept rebooting itself, sometimes every 5 minutes) but also did not have the "no signal" problem you describe.

@vadeltachi wrote:

Hello @Rustyben,

We have the exact same issue. There is a "no signal" message on the TV every evening when we turn the TV back on.

When you suggest: "pulling and reinserting the HDMI cable end..."  do you mean remove the HDMI cable from the X1 box, the TV, or does it not matter?

Also, since you indicated Comcast knows of this issue, do you have any idea when and how it might be fixed?

Does the power save feature on the X1 box have anything to do with the issue?  We have it OFF.

Thank you.

@vadeltachi wrote:

Hello @Rustyben,

Thank you.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here