Community Forum

Max of Six Recordings Starts March 2020

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Max of Six Recordings Starts March 2020

@Rustyben wrote: ... so far there is no announcement of if we still get 60 hours per DVR ...

posted at https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Max-of-Six-Recordings-Starts-March-2020/m-p/3306862#M186370 :

Note: Reducing the number of tuners will not affect the amount of cloud recording hours customers currently receive or their DVR recordings.

According to that post, only the maximum number of simultaneous cloud recordings will be reduced, not the number of cloud recording hours or the number of simultaneous DVR recordings.

IOW the change means that if there are more than 6 simultaneous DVR recordings in progress, only 6 of them will be captured on the cloud servers.

Highlighted
Expert

@BruceW wrote:

@Rustyben wrote: ... so far there is no announcement of if we still get 60 hours per DVR ...

posted at https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Max-of-Six-Recordings-Starts-March-2020/m-p/3306862#M186370 :

Note: Reducing the number of tuners will not affect the amount of cloud recording hours customers currently receive or their DVR recordings.

According to that post, only the maximum number of simultaneous cloud recordings will be reduced, not the number of cloud recording hours or the number of simultaneous DVR recordings.

IOW the change means that if there are more than 6 simultaneous DVR recordings in progress, only 6 of them will be captured on the cloud servers.

that is how I want to read that too.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I have 2 DVRs so I'll still be able to record 12 shows at a time but only 6 will record on the cloud.  Just to be 100% clear, I can still watch all 12 of those shows on any TV in my house right?

Highlighted
Expert

@kjakubowsk wrote:

I have 2 DVRs so I'll still be able to record 12 shows at a time but only 6 will record on the cloud.  Just to be 100% clear, I can still watch all 12 of those shows on any TV in my house right?

that is the current customers like us reading of the posts to this point. note that any use of manually adding to the start/end times when setting up a series ties that tuner up in either or both time slots before and after the actual show's time slot (making fewer tuners actually available).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@kjakubowsk wrote:

that is the current customers like us reading of the posts to this point. note that any use of manually adding to the start/end times when setting up a series ties that tuner up in either or both time slots before and after the actual show's time slot (making fewer tuners actually available).

Wow!  That is confusing.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Really, a lot of mouth marbles on that reply.

I first pointed this out in this post: 

The issue would be present if you're auto-buffering your programs, where a show starting at 9:00 actually starts recording at 8:59, and another program ending at 9:00, auto extends to 9:01.  

All you would need is all six program recording from 9:00 to 9:01 and you've reached capacity.

I guess the real answer will come to light on March 24th.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

has anyone run a test to see if they can record more than 6 programs at one time?

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I noticed that  with overlap  I had scheuled 6 recording so I threw in a recording of Green Acres and did not get a message that there would be a problem. When the time came my list of currently recording showed all 7 shows being recorded. I can't actually look at each show to verify it did get recorded but I will tomorrow. This week end I will try recording 7 or more full shows without overlap to see if it still works.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

So I ran the test recorded 7 shows at the same time and they all recorded as far as I can see. Nothing missing. There was one strange thing. A show that I have marked record new only recorded fine but the system (?) set it to also record a repeat copy of the same show a few hours later. This is a show I record every M - F and it doesn't record repeats so I have no idea why or when the system set it to record a repeat.