CCJessie1's profile

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

Thursday, June 25th, 2020 9:00 AM

Closed

Intermittent Video Issues Affecting Some Customers

A firmware update was recently deployed to TV Boxes that may be causing picture issues for some customers

The update includes a feature that defaults TV Boxes to the highest screen resolution the TV is capable of. This is causing a black screen, blue screen, a 'no signal' messages, or a "flickering" screen for some customers. 

We are working to deploy an update as soon as possible to fix this issue for all customers. In the meantime, we recommend the following steps to help mitigate this issue until we can provide that update.

Steps to mitigate the issue: 

• Press “exit, exit, exit, 720” on your Xfinity remote. This sets the resolution to 720. 
    • This should bring back the picture
  • Once the picture is on the screen click the Xfinity button on your remote > click on the gear icon (settings) > click Preference> click General > choose prefer Best Available Resolution > set to Off
  • You can attempt to adjust their resolution to higher resolutions if desired at this point
  • If the new resolution fails to display it will go back to the previous setting in 30 seconds. 

*Note*: Autotune to "Best Available Resolution" will not be automatically turned back on when the update is deployed. We recommend that you turn this feature back on at the end of next week after the update is complete.

Thank you for your continued patience as we work to resolve this permanently. 

Accepted Solution

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

4 years ago

@SDoo1 

Welcome to the Xfinity Forum and thank you for posting your questions here. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. We recommend changing the resolution on your Xfinity television box. You can easily do so by pressing the following button sequence on you Xfinity remote, “exit exit exit 720”.

Please let us know if you continue to experience issues. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Ive done all you suggested. My tv is not working!

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

My questions were not answered

Official Employee

• 

977 Messages

Hi, @user_64d29d! We are sorry about the trouble with your TV. We are happy to help get this resolved for you. Since this is a year-old thread, we ask for you to please create a new thread so we may assist there. Thank you! 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I have an old HDTV that does not have an HDMI port. It does have a DVI port. I have been connecting to the Xfinity X1 cable box by using the HDMI out port  and going through the adapter to connect to the DVI port on my HDTV. to get the audio I connected to the componet audio on the X1 box. this has worked for more than 3 years with a great picture and no problems.

then about 2 weeks ago, the something happened. The picture was still great, but about every 10 seconf the screen flashes white for a second and the picture returns. The remote has sporadic communication.

Of course, spent a lot of time with tech help to no avail. they suggested I exchange cable box. I did

but no change. I now have my TV connnected using componet cables ( the only option if you don't have HDMI). Everything works except you cannot select display resolution through the help, Device settings, just get a blank screen.

so my quesion is does Comcast no longer support the use of an HDMI to DVI adapter?

Contributor

• 

27 Messages

4 years ago

There is a new-ish picture resolution Comcast offers and a lot of TVs have a issue with it and older adapters don’t seem to support it.(1080p60) The Xfinity rep is probably correct but if you press "EXIT EXIT EXIT 1080" it will change the picture resolution from 1080p60 to 1080i. Some Xfinity stores also offer HDMI to Component converters (Still does not support 1080p60)

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you so much for your help. I did as you instructed and that solved the problem. I am wondering if an update somehow changed the output of the HDMI port to 1080p from 720p that the technician set the box on when he installed the x1 box. Apparently, a new box comes with the HDMI port set at 1080p (which makes sense), but that was incompatible with my old TV and did not allow the DVI connector to work, as well as some functions under the device settings.

Everything is working now. Thanks again.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

All 3 of my TVs were affected. One says preferred resolution was unavailable. The other one won’t let me get to anything when I click xfinity. Says having trouble connecting g. And the 3rd is frozen. I’ve done two restarts and no luck .

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Still having roblems with this

Contributor

• 

99 Messages

4 years ago

If it's a secondary box, that means the adapter is in `panic`or trouble mode. Which means it lost connection and is searching for a signal. 

Contributor

• 

26 Messages

4 years ago

I am having white light flashing issue and cannot get a service rep. to work on a solution.  Where is Comcast support!?

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for the post. Can you post a followup comment when the update that fixes this issue is deployed?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

What is the expected resolution time on this update, doesn't sound like there will be a notice

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Sounded like a good fix but did not work. Hitting exit exit exit 720 did not change anything.
CBS 433 is the worst !

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Nothing happens when I press exit exit exit 720 except it changes the channel to 720. We’ve had picture issues for over a week. I can’t get in touch with a human at Comcast. Please help.

Regular Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

This has been affecting my 4k X1 DVR in south SFbay since Friday June 26, when I first contacted Xfinity about this,  and continues as I write this,  even after a later DVR swap. 

I was originally  told this would be resolved by July 3, on Sunday 7/5 called again, provided a replacement X1 , after the CSR insisted this would resolve the issue.

Speaking to Xfinity reps at Customer Service is a waste of time, even referencing this thread directly, with this ID #3347927 to them does not help. Just met with indifference and they are not being provided information/updates on this issue.

Changing resolution every time the equipment has been off or in standby overnight,  or for a long period during the day, (which causes the flashing  issue to return) and having to go back and do this picture resolution work-around,  is a bother, and not a solution.

This thread hasn't been updated in nearly 2 weeks by Xfinity, when is a fix to this buggy firmware going to be rolled out? My wiring has been checked out my Tivo in another room is at least unaffected....Can the powers-that-be provide at least the courtesy of an update? 

Please provide customers a reply, in what timeframe will this now be resolved, since the orignal post states this should have been resolved by July 3

Contributor

• 

18 Messages

4 years ago

UGH - Still not working!

And it is eating up my data usage because the DATA light is always blinking 

I have a plain tv box in one room and a dvr box in another.

Do I need new boxes?

How do I check on the status of my reference ticket CR913601016 from when I contacted them last week?

Thanks

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@franceshd wrote:

UGH - Still not working!

And it is eating up my data usage because the DATA light is always blinking 

I have a plain tv box in one room and a dvr box in another.

Do I need new boxes?

How do I check on the status of my reference ticket CR913601016 from when I contacted them last week?

Thanks

The data the set top box uses for maintaining its software (refreshes) does not count toward your data usage. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here