CCJessie1's profile

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

Thursday, June 25th, 2020 9:00 AM

Closed

Intermittent Video Issues Affecting Some Customers

A firmware update was recently deployed to TV Boxes that may be causing picture issues for some customers

The update includes a feature that defaults TV Boxes to the highest screen resolution the TV is capable of. This is causing a black screen, blue screen, a 'no signal' messages, or a "flickering" screen for some customers. 

We are working to deploy an update as soon as possible to fix this issue for all customers. In the meantime, we recommend the following steps to help mitigate this issue until we can provide that update.

Steps to mitigate the issue: 

• Press “exit, exit, exit, 720” on your Xfinity remote. This sets the resolution to 720. 
    • This should bring back the picture
  • Once the picture is on the screen click the Xfinity button on your remote > click on the gear icon (settings) > click Preference> click General > choose prefer Best Available Resolution > set to Off
  • You can attempt to adjust their resolution to higher resolutions if desired at this point
  • If the new resolution fails to display it will go back to the previous setting in 30 seconds. 

*Note*: Autotune to "Best Available Resolution" will not be automatically turned back on when the update is deployed. We recommend that you turn this feature back on at the end of next week after the update is complete.

Thank you for your continued patience as we work to resolve this permanently. 

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Has this been resolved?  I am still getting sound drop-off, picture turning black for a second or two and pixelating.  My X-1 box was swapped out three years ago, so is it time to swap again or will the firmware update solve the problems?

Phone support was of no help.  Lots of, "gee, I don't know" and "I guess that might work" answers.

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

4 years ago

My problem was finally fixed by a technician visting my house. I availed myself of all the remote options, but no solution.  My problem was the line from to my house from the street box. I'll be getting another visit by the crew that can thread it though the underground pipe. It's temporarily above ground. 

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Mine was an amplifier problem at the street.  It was fixed the day the tech came out.  He did have to call out the other techs that handle that part but they had it fixed within an hour.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I have a buried line, so any problem would be at the top of the pole. I guess the squirrels could have been hungry and decided to feed up there, but I have not called for an inspection. Perhaps I will.

Official Employee

• 

7K Messages

4 years ago

Hello jscamp. Thanks for visiting and posting on our Forum. I can assist with further troubleshooting your intermittent video issues. To get started, please send me a private message and include your full name and service address so I can assist you.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Could you please share this info in the public forum as these complaints have been going on for months

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Ok, lots of moving pieces, so I'm not sure just exactly which one worked or whether all of them needed to be done to solve my intermittent outage issues.  I scheduled a line tech to come out to check the outside wiring.  The tech found no squirrel feasting signs and received acceptable signals both at the pole and at the junction box outside my house.  Thus, the outages were not squirrel, vole, or worm related.  (Remember buried line.)

The tech then checked the connections inside my house and swapped out the amplifier for a current model.  He noticed that I had more than four TVs in the house but only had one DVR box.  He stated that I might have an issue with that many TVs and not enough tuners for viewing or recording so he swapped out a small HD box for a DVR-ish box that has four tuners inside but does not have the clock on the outside.   We then had 8 tuners total - four in each box. Thinking all would be good, he left.

About an hour or so into test viewing on various channels, the problem was still there.  I disconnected the HD box that was attached to the TV we watch the most and went to an Xfinity store and asked for a replacement.  I installed the replacement HD box and power supply and it slowed the problem but we still had the black-outs and sound drops. 

On a whim, since it came with the new HD box anyway, I swapped out the HDMI cable with the new one even though it looked like it had less shielding than the casing of the one we were using.  The wire gauging was the same, so I felt it should be OK.  Low and behold, the problem became resolved and now two days later, we have yet to have any blips or sound drop outs.  Crossing fingers, toes, eyes, and whatever else, we hope the problem is now premanently resolved.

Soooo, was it the amplifier?  Not enough tuners?  Bad HD box?  Bad HDMI cable?  Who knows?  All I know is that the problem has gone away for now.

That's our litany.  I hope yours ends as well.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

This thread says the box issue creating black screen resolved however I upgraded to a new box in August and encountered this issue. Just shelled out $65 to TV repair guy only to be told the TV is working just fine when off the box. Should I swap to another box? Thx.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@jewelsrewels wrote:
This thread says the box issue creating black screen resolved however I upgraded to a new box in August and encountered this issue. Just shelled out $65 to TV repair guy only to be told the TV is working just fine when off the box. Should I swap to another box? Thx.

the normal fix is to pull out the HDMI cord end and reinsert feeling and hearing the 'click' as it locks in. do this on both ends. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

The "official" resolution does everything but tell us to put rabbit ears back on our TV. I have a 4k UHD tv. I pay for an Xi6 (and an Xi4) to go wireless. The picture freezes and the surround sound channels cut in and out. It is NOT my surround system so don't blame them. My speeds, at times, are 1Mb/sec download! 

Xfinity's data speeds may be to blame for the problem. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

We still are not able to start our Vizio Smart TV (4 or 5 month old) on its highesrt resolution. We've turned off the "best available resolution" option. We are now starting up in 1080p60 HD. If we start in a higher resolution, the tv picture flashes on and off, sometimes for 15 minutes. We can shift to higher resolution after starting in 1080p60, but that's a pain.

Any idea when ther will be a patch so that we can start in 2160p60 4K UHD?

Our x1 box is an Xi6-A  modelAX061AEI

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@BeesCatDog wrote:

We still are not able to start our Vizio Smart TV (4 or 5 month old) on its highesrt resolution. We've turned off the "best available resolution" option. We are now starting up in 1080p60 HD. If we start in a higher resolution, the tv picture flashes on and off, sometimes for 15 minutes. We can shift to higher resolution after starting in 1080p60, but that's a pain.

Any idea when ther will be a patch so that we can start in 2160p60 4K UHD?

Our x1 box is an Xi6-A  modelAX061AEI

do you have the set top box's HDMI connected directly to the TV's HDMI1 or HDMI2 port (see TV manual for correct port)? do you have power save turned off on the set top box? do you have CEC turned off for the set top box? 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

If it makes anyone feel better I’ve been fighting with this for 7 years

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you RustBen!

That seems to have worked!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.3K Messages

4 years ago

Thanks awesome, BeesCatDog! Thank you for letting us know that it worked for you.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here