Plucknbach's profile

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

Wednesday, April 4th, 2018 12:00 PM

Closed

HDR CONTENT ON NETFLIX THROUGH XG1V4

I just recently upgrated my X1 box to the XG1V4.  It is mentioned that the XG1 supports HDR10. 

When in Netflix and searching for HDR content, results show -0-.  I do find UHD contents. 

When using my smarttv to access Netflix,  I do receive results for HDR content. 

My tv is new Sony bravia xbr65x900e which supports HDR10. 

Why doesn't the Netflix app in the XG1V4 able to provide HDR results. 

Thank you.   

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

6 years ago

@ComcastLeon wrote:

@Mr_Kludge wrote:

Ok. However supporting Dolby VIson is a software/firmware thing so maybe it will be capable in the future. If not no big deal we will just get new boxes in the future.

I will have to think on reconfiguring my system for a day or two to see if it acts any differently just connected to the TV but I suspect that I will be able to reprodice the issues in that configuration. What I am doing is not that much differnet and there should not be issues since NOTHNING else in my envoromnmnt has these issues except for HDR functionality with NetFlix on the Xg1V4. Having spend an enormous amount of time on this issue I'm not sure I'm willing to spend more given that I'm the customer paying an enormous amount to Comcast for service wach month and not being compensated in any way for my trouble other than endless frustration dealing with support. Might be considered entertainment, learning and knowledge but I have abot a million other things I would rather be doing with my time. This evening when I go home I will snake the v4 HDMI directly to the TV and religate myself to fiber from the TV to the AVR for the week. I will do a few start-ups/shutdowns in my usual activities and see if I can trip it up. If I can't then problem solved at east in the eyes of Comcast but you must realize that there are way more less simple and complicated set-ups out there that you need to be compatable with; AVRs, soundbars, home theaters etc. Reminde me of the early days with the Moto HDMI boxes. I had the same issues. Worked to TV, did not work or had issues/work arounds with AVR, switcheds etc. All those issues were corected over time on the legacy boxes and hopfully over time they will be on X1 and with 4k.

Dolby Vision requires specific hardware, it is not only a software/firmware thing. The XG1v4 will never support DV.

Before jumping through the hoops of changing your setup around, can you give me details on how things are connected? What I've been able to gather is that you have the XG1v4 connected to the HDMI input port of an Oppo 203 with one ouput of the Oppo going to the TV and one going to an AVR. Anything else in the path? Do other devices work properly with HDR when passed through the Oppo?

-Set up is thus; Xgv4>Roofull 3 port 18g HDR/DV capable pass-thru switch>Oppo 203 HDMI input>Vizio M55-E0

Vizio HT Monitor is configured for full color support (which I raeally don't need) is HDCP 2.2 capable and of course HDMI 2.x (whatever you want to call it I would call it HDMI 2.0b)

-Oppo is using split output video to Vizio and audio to Denon AVR-1909. AVR lacks 4k/HDR/ARC etc. it's an oldy but a goodie

-I also have on the switch a Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD player which is HDR10 capable

-Also on the switch is a Roku Streaming Stick+ which is also HDR10 capable

I have in the past front ended the Vizio with the Roofull switch in order to test Dolby Vision pass-thru from the Oppo which works without issue.

Currently my only DV sources are UHD optical discs played in the Oppo or apps on the TV

With all sources/scnereos the only issues I have are with the XgV4 AND NetFlix with HDR10. HDR10 content (currently relegated to OnDemand Olympics content) has NEVER failed from the Xg1v4 with any of the code I have seen in the past couple months. Only NetFlix has been an issue. HDR10 streaming and optical discs jump into HDR instantaniously from both the Samsung player and the Oppo. Roku HDR content also works well and as good as the Sammy and the TV apps. When doing HDR10 with the NF app in the Xg1V4 there are many HDMI syncs, blank screens, handshaking and switching etc. Once it gets going there are no issues. My son and I wateched the entiere 1st episode of Lost in Space on NF through the v4 last night without trouble other than having to go in, exit then restart NF again. I have to go through this proicess EVERY time the system is shut down and started back up. Occatioanly however it will HDMI handshake when I first enter the app and then most or some HDR assets will play in HDR but most of the time it will say it is HDR but will stream just 4k (and in some cases have some weird video anomolies) unless I exit from one of two places in the gear/get help menu and then restart NF. The restart NetFlix option under get help under the gear WILL NOT fix it like the method I just detailed. Only other way to get HDR function back with NF is to do a box restart either from the menu or power pull since there is no reset or power button on the v4.

Hope this detail helps.

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

6 years ago

While we are on the subject of bugs there seems to be a 2-channel audio issue with this box. Attempt to watch Cosmos Laundromat while box audio setting is "expert". I'm not sure what the audio is but I suspect that it is in PCM? Might also be DD2.0? Anhow box goes nuts and then does not play audio at all. I've had this issue both connected through switch, directly to Oppo and directly to TV. I have to change the setting to Auto Detect (DD 5.1) or PCM and I get audio, the box does not freek out and it does play in HDR IF the stars align right. Watching it now. It is an amazing piece of HDR work. 

I have also experienced this blanked out audio on cloud recordings. Those are geneerally only 2-channel and will not play audio unless you switch to auto detect or PCM. Expert mode results in no audio. Also happens without switch and without Oppo and direct to the TV. Don't know about sound on TV since speakers are always off but no sound through HDMI or opical from the TV. Seems that the "expert" audio mode needs some serious work. I tried to test a cloud recording for a show that was on last week when I rebooted a box and killed it and it has to go to cloud. However checkig that recording now when last week it was 2-channel it is now DD5.1 and plays with "expert" mode so I suspect the new box code that supports HDR on NF has fixed that issue? Either that or cloud recordings are automagically corrected after a time. I think not and it is new code. 

The Cosmos Laundraumat thing is pretty rare. It's probbaly in PCM and noone expected that???? More a NF app issue than DVR issue but it might be a capability reporting error from box o NF app????

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

6 years ago

@ComcastLeon wrote:

@Mr_Kludge wrote:

Ok. However supporting Dolby VIson is a software/firmware thing so maybe it will be capable in the future. If not no big deal we will just get new boxes in the future.

I will have to think on reconfiguring my system for a day or two to see if it acts any differently just connected to the TV but I suspect that I will be able to reprodice the issues in that configuration. What I am doing is not that much differnet and there should not be issues since NOTHNING else in my envoromnmnt has these issues except for HDR functionality with NetFlix on the Xg1V4. Having spend an enormous amount of time on this issue I'm not sure I'm willing to spend more given that I'm the customer paying an enormous amount to Comcast for service wach month and not being compensated in any way for my trouble other than endless frustration dealing with support. Might be considered entertainment, learning and knowledge but I have abot a million other things I would rather be doing with my time. This evening when I go home I will snake the v4 HDMI directly to the TV and religate myself to fiber from the TV to the AVR for the week. I will do a few start-ups/shutdowns in my usual activities and see if I can trip it up. If I can't then problem solved at east in the eyes of Comcast but you must realize that there are way more less simple and complicated set-ups out there that you need to be compatable with; AVRs, soundbars, home theaters etc. Reminde me of the early days with the Moto HDMI boxes. I had the same issues. Worked to TV, did not work or had issues/work arounds with AVR, switcheds etc. All those issues were corected over time on the legacy boxes and hopfully over time they will be on X1 and with 4k.

Dolby Vision requires specific hardware, it is not only a software/firmware thing. The XG1v4 will never support DV.

Before jumping through the hoops of changing your setup around, can you give me details on how things are connected? What I've been able to gather is that you have the XG1v4 connected to the HDMI input port of an Oppo 203 with one ouput of the Oppo going to the TV and one going to an AVR. Anything else in the path? Do other devices work properly with HDR when passed through the Oppo?

I finally got around to connecting the Xgv4 direclty to the TV. It acts much better and more happy there. No surprise. I need to let it sit for a nght and see what it does but HDR10 on NF seems to work this way no matter what after power on/off/on etc. where with the switch and Oppo it has issues. My guess is that it is something funky with the Oppo and not the switch but either could be causing the issue. It's odd though since the OnDemand HDR10 qComcast owend assets always play without trouble. It's just the blasted NF app on this box that is having issues. Yet anther case of initiall incompatability with switches, AVRs and other types of gear that many of us with home theaters have/run into. My hope is that over time this issue will get better and not worse. That was the case with AVRs with both the legacy Moto boxes and initailly when X1 come out. In both those cases things got worse before they get better. The folks that engineer these things tend to forget that not everyone connects the box direclty to a TV and wth this box I would say that the possibility that it will be connected to an AVR or projetor through a switch/splitter/extractor etc. is rather higher than the old boxes. Just glad there is a work arund that works.

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

6 years ago

@RobertWy wrote:

@Mr_Kludge wrote:

@ComcastLeon wrote:

@Mr_Kludge wrote:

I finally got around to connecting the Xgv4 direclty to the TV. It acts much better and more happy there. No surprise. I need to let it sit for a nght and see what it does but HDR10 on NF seems to work this way no matter what after power on/off/on etc. where with the switch and Oppo it has issues. My guess is that it is something funky with the Oppo and not the switch but either could be causing the issue. It's odd though since the OnDemand HDR10 qComcast owend assets always play without trouble. It's just the blasted NF app on this box that is having issues. Yet anther case of initiall incompatability with switches, AVRs and other types of gear that many of us with home theaters have/run into. My hope is that over time this issue will get better and not worse. That was the case with AVRs with both the legacy Moto boxes and initailly when X1 come out. In both those cases things got worse before they get better. The folks that engineer these things tend to forget that not everyone connects the box direclty to a TV and wth this box I would say that the possibility that it will be connected to an AVR or projetor through a switch/splitter/extractor etc. is rather higher than the old boxes. Just glad there is a work arund that works.

Your response intrigued me.  My next TV (I hope vbg) should be able to be my connection controller; my a/v receiver, DVD player, and X1 box will be connected to the TV rather than the other way around like I have it now.  What that means for Comcast testing, I have no clue, but your point about a/v receiver supprt (and HDMI Link, etc) leads me to believe it is going to be a while before the X1 platform can support future equipment.

Ya it seems to be a work in progress. I put they system back the way I want it and convinced not that it is the Oppo that is causing the issue since I had to reset it to get HDR back with NF on the X1 box. It's not a major deal. Hopfully they will do some updates to the HDMI input on that player before the last person turns off the lights. If not at least there is a workaround.

I was going to post that my other box still had not got the new update, but it has now. There is a Friday date/time stamp so I think that is when it got it. I was beginning to wonder when it would finaly get it. Important since you never know when I will have to swap boxes and/or find a deal on another 4k TV.

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

6 years ago

I'm happy to report that some of the weirdness with HDR and the NF app on the Xg1v4 is somewhat resolved. Watched ep.2-3 of LiS and didn't have to exit etc. to get it to go into HDR mode like before. I haven't done anyting and it appeas there may be a new version of NF. I haven't been writing down what is running and there are A LOT of version numbers. Anyhow went out dirty with the exit button and back in and still worked. It might just be coincidence. I haven't had time to mess with it for a couple weeks much.

I still get the occational HDM handshake while the NF is running. I don't get this when in HDR OnDemand content, DVR or HD OnDemand.

Contributor

• 

26 Messages

6 years ago

What is the update on getting HDR with the Netflix app?  I still don’t see the HDR badge on HDR supported shows in Netflix on the XG1V4.  I thought the new software update that turns this on would have been pushed out already.

Yes, my TV supports HDR.  Yes, I subscribe to the Netflix package that allows HDR. Yes, my XG1V4 is connected directly to my TV via High Speed 2.2 HDMI cables.

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

6 years ago

@Biggen12 wrote:

What is the update on getting HDR with the Netflix app?  I still don’t see the HDR badge on HDR supported shows in Netflix on the XG1V4.  I thought the new software update that turns this on would have been pushed out already.

Yes, my TV supports HDR.  Yes, I subscribe to the Netflix package that allows HDR. Yes, my XG1V4 is connected directly to my TV via High Speed 2.2 HDMI cables.

Verify you box is running the AX014AN_3.0x firmware. If it is then it should be working. If not then you are still waiting on an update. They are slllllllllllooooooooooowwwwwwlllllllyyyyyyy rolling it out. My 1st box received it about a month ago and the 2nd one maybe a couple weeks ago. You could try caling tier-3 support and they may be able to "push" it out now but as of a few weeks ago they were not allowing that as it is a controled release and requires either supervision of the update or manual intervention.

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

6 years ago

Mine is still finicky. Most of the time I can get HDR10 n NF without doing the exit NF thing, but not always. Much better now, but.....

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

@Mr_Kludge wrote:

Mine is still finicky. Most of the time I can get HDR10 n NF without doing the exit NF thing, but not always. Much better now, but.....

Hey. I have the same TV (Sony X900E 65"), and I've just started having the same problem with my XG1V4.

I went through a LOT of trouble to get this box. Called xfinity to verify my local store had them in stock. They assured me they did. I broke down my legacy box, cables, etc, drove 15 miles to the store, where they told me they don't have them in stock, they don't know when they're going to have them in stock. Drove all the way BACk home and called xfinity. A different rep told me the first rep was wrong and that I had to either have the box delivered or schedule a service call.

Long story short, they deilvered it, I got it set up (which wasn't easy... spent 45 minutes on the phone with support to have it activated, blah blah blah), and got it working.

Anyway, I have my xbox one X in HDMI 2 with HDR set to auto. Works like a charm every time. I moved the new 4K xfinity box to HDMI/ARC (also set to HDR auto detect) 3 so I could use netflix in 4K in HDR (I later found out that xfinity has ZERO 4k or HDR content, but that's a complaint for another time). Worked fine... for about two weeks. I watched all of Lost in Space with no issues. I brought up the input using my TV's picture adjustments, and it did show it was in HDR.

Then I had issues last night. I wanted to start watching the second season of JEssica Jones, which I know is in 4K HDR. Fired it up, and it looked really good, but I wanted to verity it was in HDR. Brought up the input info, and guess what? No HDR. So I brought up a couple more shows, Altered Carbon, etc. Still not coming up as HDR. Restarted the TV. Didn't work. So I switched to game input, fired up Assassins Creed Origins on my Xbox one X, then brought up the input. HDR. After that, I decided to try netflix using the TV's internal App. Brought up Jessica Jones, checked the TV input. HDR was enabled. I ended up watching the whole episode through the TVs internal Netflix app instead of the xfinity set top box app. I've recently moved my wireless router to within feet of the TV and have no issues running 4K content at all.

But this bugs me. Like you, I want my set top box to work as it should. May sound petty, but it's slightly more convenient to use the cable remote to bring up and control netflix, not to mention I don't have to swallow wifi bandwidth by streaming it if I can get it right through the box.

I don't THINK it's my TV. HDR auto detect works fine on the other input that my game console is on as well as using the andriod interface that's in the TV itself. I'm wondering if they pushed out yet another firmware update to the xfinity box that's screwing it up? I HATE the idea of having to factory reset my TV. Have everything set up just the way I like.

Maybe I need to restart/recycle my xfinity box and it'll work? A temporary fix would be just to go into picture options on my TV and set HDR to HDR10 instead of Auto, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Feel your pain, man! It was working without a hitch, and now it's not.

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

6 years ago

@shreder75 wrote:

@Mr_Kludge wrote:

Hey. I have the same TV (Sony X900E 65"), and I've just started having the same problem with my XG1V4.

I went through a LOT of trouble to get this box. Called xfinity to verify my local store had them in stock. They assured me they did. I broke down my legacy box, cables, etc, drove 15 miles to the store, where they told me they don't have them in stock, they don't know when they're going to have them in stock. Drove all the way BACk home and called xfinity. A different rep told me the first rep was wrong and that I had to either have the box delivered or schedule a service call.

Long story short, they deilvered it, I got it set up (which wasn't easy... spent 45 minutes on the phone with support to have it activated, blah blah blah), and got it working.

Anyway, I have my xbox one X in HDMI 2 with HDR set to auto. Works like a charm every time. I moved the new 4K xfinity box to HDMI/ARC (also set to HDR auto detect) 3 so I could use netflix in 4K in HDR (I later found out that xfinity has ZERO 4k or HDR content, but that's a complaint for another time). Worked fine... for about two weeks. I watched all of Lost in Space with no issues. I brought up the input using my TV's picture adjustments, and it did show it was in HDR.

Then I had issues last night. I wanted to start watching the second season of JEssica Jones, which I know is in 4K HDR. Fired it up, and it looked really good, but I wanted to verity it was in HDR. Brought up the input info, and guess what? No HDR. So I brought up a couple more shows, Altered Carbon, etc. Still not coming up as HDR. Restarted the TV. Didn't work. So I switched to game input, fired up Assassins Creed Origins on my Xbox one X, then brought up the input. HDR. After that, I decided to try netflix using the TV's internal App. Brought up Jessica Jones, checked the TV input. HDR was enabled. I ended up watching the whole episode through the TVs internal Netflix app instead of the xfinity set top box app. I've recently moved my wireless router to within feet of the TV and have no issues running 4K content at all.

But this bugs me. Like you, I want my set top box to work as it should. May sound petty, but it's slightly more convenient to use the cable remote to bring up and control netflix, not to mention I don't have to swallow wifi bandwidth by streaming it if I can get it right through the box.

I don't THINK it's my TV. HDR auto detect works fine on the other input that my game console is on as well as using the andriod interface that's in the TV itself. I'm wondering if they pushed out yet another firmware update to the xfinity box that's screwing it up? I HATE the idea of having to factory reset my TV. Have everything set up just the way I like.

Maybe I need to restart/recycle my xfinity box and it'll work? A temporary fix would be just to go into picture options on my TV and set HDR to HDR10 instead of Auto, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Feel your pain, man! It was working without a hitch, and now it's not.

Like all other Comcast set top boxes they are bug laiden when first introduced. Give it a year or two and all will be well. Anyhow you need to exit Netflix using this procedure and it should work properly; back button until search and setiings gear shows; select the gear, select Exit Netflix. You can also select get help and then Exit Netflix. The Reload Netflix on the Get Help menu WILL NOT RESOLVE THE ISSUE. Only exiting from either of the selections I have pointed you to will. Also the Exit Netflix on the search menu with the gear will not resolve it. The releoad just reloads Netflix while you are in there. The Exit Netflix on the search menu with the gear does nothing different than just hitting the exit button on the remote while in NF. Both of the other exits (gear/settings menu and further in under help) completly stop NF,  exits to the X1 menu and when you go back it it resets, NF reads the TV capabilities through HDMI and sometimes with an HDMI hanshake and sync and all should be well again.

I have now eliminated the problem entierly by setting my box to power save mode in the device setting menu. It turning off each night then back on the next day seems to keep this issue at bay. However if I forget and don't exit NF proppery then some of the time it won't go into HDR when returning. However I just tried that and it worked so maybe code has been updated? I just noted that my release timestamp and version is updated as of a few weeks ago but I recall having issues within the past couple weeks. 

I've exited 3 times now and gone back in and all is well. 

Oh and BTW I have a Vizio M55-E0 not a Sony. I do know that the Sony TVs have issues with HDR and esp. Dolby Vision due to a DV profile issue but that should not have an effect on HDR10. 

This is obviously a code issue. I haven't changed one thing in my setup/environemet that woud affect this and it is working much better now.

However my 2nd box for me (with an earlier s/n and build date) has developed a noisy fan so I shudder to think what I will have to go through to get it replaced if the fan fails. Oh and yes these boxes are VERY hard to get unless you know what you are doing.  The stores do not stock them. Only way is to order them by calling and having shipped to you. It may be possible to get one with a service call, but mileage varys there since most of the installers don't bother to pay attention to the install requests and show up with whatever they have on their truck. 

Oh and another correction. Comcast does have 4k HDR10 content. You can watch Olympics with OnDemand. I hope we will see other OnDemand 4k and HDR content popping up in the future.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Hi Mr_Kluge.  You've asked a few ?'s that appear to sum up the thread:

"Btw does anyone here have full hdr and Dolby vision working with the the 4K Comcast box on Netflix or are you all just surmising that the info posted out there is correct."

I never surmise anything, nor do I believe what most people have to say unless I have already confirmed it. Smiley Wink I also usually try to provide very easy examples anyone can repeat and confirm what I have said. The reply to your first question on whether the XG1v4 or v5 for that matter, supports 4K, HDR10 and Dolby Digital are yes and no. Yes, it supports 4K UHD the way the market and most people define it, i.e., 3840 x 2160 8 bpc, YCbRC422. As for supporting true 4K, 4096 x 2160, 10 bpc color depth and YCbC444 color output, then no. That said, it makes no difference when watching TV, unless you always stand 2 feet away. It makes a major difference to someone like me since I need to use Photoshop CC Premier Pro and some other Applications, but I also need to run dual Quatro GPUs, a 5K True 10 and 12 bpc Color Monitor and must build, can't buy the Workstation I use. That's unimportant to the issues at hand, I own an IT company, so it's for business.

Netflix for me in the Boston area began to support HDR in their Netflix App in July, and I had the XG1v4 then. I swapped for v5, but all that did is fix a few coding bugs.

Does it support Dolby Vision®?

No and if anyone told you any Netflix box supports Dolby Vision®, they were hallucinating. Personally, I seriously doubt Netflix will ever pay the Royalty License to make DV available, there is no value prop, or ROI. The only reason I ever even use the Netflix App is when I am in a bit of a rush, for movies I already know are not available in Dolby Vision®, and for an HD Movie. The best thing the XG1v4 was upscaling HD TV and Movies to maybe ¾ near 4K.

What I meant by “in a rush” is I have 2 Gigabit Internet service with Xfinity, it’s available in Boston. When you access the Netflix App through the XG1v5 Set Top Box it's like you are hooked up direct to Ethernet at an average 2,000 Mbps, or 2w50 MB/s. Since the industry decided much lower speeds (15-25 Mbps) are all that is needed to stream, unless you want to watch a 2 hour move in 3 hours with the buffering, this and the cost is why even the highest quality TVs have an ethernet port of 100 Mbps. However, all new and most old have 2.4GB and 5GB WiFi. Still, I run a Mesh Routing system, and the most I get on the second node router is 1,350 Mbps.

As promised, I like to leave easy examples to prove what I said. This should work for most people, as long as under their TV specs it says: "HDR Support:" and in addition to the common "Advanced HDR by Technicolor®, HDR10 and HLG," you also must see Dolby Vision®.

I finally bought a new TV this year, after they dropped the price. The LG C8PUA 4K HDR Smart OLED TV w/ AI ThinQ® - 65", ALONG with the SK10Y Soundbar. Must be VERY careful of Soundbars, or any receiver ALL older and even some 2018 models have HDMI version 1.4. Stupidity. Do a few searches and you will see what happens if you try using any audio source with HDMI 1.4 after you try to plug it in to an HDMI 2.0 in to the TV's HDMI 2.0 ARC port.

OK, the simple examples:

1. There are few movies and series I can name, but to keep it simple, launch the Netflix App on     your XG1v4/5 Set Top Box, and look for a series called Defenders, a Marvel Action series. Press play on the first episode and the upper right-hand corner of your screen will display HDR.

2. Now launch it from the Netflix App on your TV, pick the same show as above, and immediately in that same right hand corner (as long as your TV supports it) Dolby Vision® will display, followed by Dolby Atmos® (assuming your soundbar or TV speakers support Atmos, and assuming you selected Atmos and not 5.1).

Your next question asks:

"I have read as many reports that it is. It implemented yet as I have that it is and I have not seen anything her or on avs fourum that state anyone doesn’t have this going. Uhd ultra 4K yes, just not any flavor of hdr." 

Sorry, not exactly sure what you mean, but if my guess is right and you are saying you read that the Netflix App supports Dolby Vision® from some and does not from others, I already replied to that above. If by HDR flavor you mean not Dolby Vision® HDR, you are correct.

Dean

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

6 years ago

There is no V5

Contributor

• 

60 Messages

5 years ago

I just tried watching Planet Earth II on netflix as well as on Netflix through the comcast app.

My Television is  tcl r65 which supports HDR AND DOLBY VISION.

On netflix, Planet Earth II looks amazing. The colors pop, it's true HDR.

On the comcast app, the colors are not in HDR, they are normal colors and do not pop.

Moreover watching Netflix on both systems still influences your monthly data cap.

Comcast is becoming fairly useless and futile at this point, they just can't seem to keep up with new technology

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

5 years ago

@quovadis12345 wrote:

I just tried watching Planet Earth II on netflix as well as on Netflix through the comcast app.

My Television is  tcl r65 which supports HDR AND DOLBY VISION.

On netflix, Planet Earth II looks amazing. The colors pop, it's true HDR.

On the comcast app, the colors are not in HDR, they are normal colors and do not pop.

Moreover watching Netflix on both systems still influences your monthly data cap.

Comcast is becoming fairly useless and futile at this point, they just can't seem to keep up with new technology

https://hd-report.com/list-of-4k-ultra-hd-movies-tv-shows-on-netflix/#otherseries

Planet Earth II is not in HDR on Netflix. I consulted the above list and many others as I mentioned on my earlier post. 

If if you are getting HDR on your TV you are lucky to have one of the only platforms it is supported on planet earth ( pun intended). Other things may be going on including different picture settings for your hdmi inputs and tv app inputs? Or your tv might be doing something interesting. 

Bear at in mind that most of these lists are compiled by the authors using their own platforms. Results may vary. And it may be that some platforms NF app may be more updated or have capabilities that others don’t. But I would doubt that all of mine would have an issue and it plainly appears to not be HDR. This all kinda rings a bell. My discs are used and lack a digital copy. I didn’t care at the time since it is on NF. I sorta remember wanting to purchase the digital on VuDu due to this. 

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

5 years ago

This is interesting. I tried PE II on all of my platforms and none of them are showing in HDR. Not Roku Ultra, TV which is a recent VIZIO or the xgv4 Comcast box. This seems to be an asset issue and not a platform one. All of mine just say Ultra HD 4K with no hdr. However other assets that are in Dolby vision show HDR on Roku and Comcast as they should since they don’t support DV and they show DV on the TV. I know that certain forms of HDR have exclusives on some platforms and audio options also but I’m not aware of content having exclusives. I wonder if this is related to an issue that came up on Vudu a while back. There was a standards change that required them to redo their assets and some were not in HDR for a time.  Various results and issues on the different platforms were had. 

Not sure why you would be getting HDR on your TV (I’m assuming that is what you are saying) and I’m not getting it on any. Are you sure it is reporting that it is HDR when you launch the episode (should be near upper right corner of program info before you it play). I only ask since some devices these days provide a sudo Dolby Vision or HDR experience for non-hdr content. 

I did some digging and I can’t even find where PE II on NF is reported to be in HDR. It should be since my discs are. 

Also ANY streaming content regardless of platform is going to hit your data cap except for that viewed with the various XFINITY stream apps which are available for many platforms. If you use one of them to view live TV, DVR or OnDemand content it is supposed not to count. The NF, Amazon and YouTube apps on X1 are simply there for convenience. The content is not Comcast (in some cases it actually is but served up on the Internet from another streaming platform). I get it and agree with what they are doing. What I don’t agree with is the data cap and charges for going over or for unlimited. 4K takes an enormous amount of data. 

You up will notice that streaming from other devices hits your modem total. Content viewed on X1 that counts against the cap will show up on your overall use since the boxes have Internet access outside of your modem over the Comcast network. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here