Plucknbach's profile

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

Wednesday, April 4th, 2018 12:00 PM

Closed

HDR CONTENT ON NETFLIX THROUGH XG1V4

I just recently upgrated my X1 box to the XG1V4.  It is mentioned that the XG1 supports HDR10. 

When in Netflix and searching for HDR content, results show -0-.  I do find UHD contents. 

When using my smarttv to access Netflix,  I do receive results for HDR content. 

My tv is new Sony bravia xbr65x900e which supports HDR10. 

Why doesn't the Netflix app in the XG1V4 able to provide HDR results. 

Thank you.   

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

6 years ago

@ComcastLeon wrote:

Netflix HDR has not yet been enabled for the XG1v4, it's not a problem with any setups. This will come in the form of a firmware update which will be enabled for users with a 4K/HDR capable TV and Netflix premium subscription to stream HDR10 content.

A humble question and a request; Just when is this going to be enabled? and if it is goinng to be longer than say a day or two, please create an internal Comcast ticket and have both the Comcast FAQs removed or modified to reflect this AND also inform Netflix and have them modify and/or remove the information.

This is VERY frustrating since over the past couple of months I have spent an enormous amount of time trying to determine what the problem is and now, confirmed again that this "ADVERTISED" all over the place feature is not in fact working and enabled. It's fine that it is not yet, and I prefer solutions that are baked and don't have problems and go belly up on me. HOWEVER I am rather upset that this has been out in the wild for months and noone has thought to at least update the FAQs to reflect REALITY.

I will call front line support, tier-3 and customer service (during normal hours when the "A" team is working) and report this and request that a ticket be opened and this issue taken care of so that others don't experience the very fustrating and ludicris journey I have.

I am on the beta list and Comcast Labs advanced list and I'm not opposed to testing it out prior to when it is in the wild. I assume that changed code for NF won't have too much of a negitive effect on the X1 DVR box. Unless of course that is the problem, which it well may be since I don't think it is "certified" for Dolby Vision, yet so.....that may be the big delay. Still at least HDR10 in the meaantime would be just dandy.

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

6 years ago

This information needs to be modified and/or removed from Netflix:

Using Netflix on your Comcast Xfinity X1 set-top box

Welcome to Netflix on your Comcast Xfinity X1 set-top box! Use this article to learn about Netflix features and how to set up and sign out of your account. If you’re unsure if your device supports Netflix, follow the steps on the “Set up Netflix” tab to attempt to locate the Netflix app.

Netflix FeaturesSet up NetflixSign out of NetflixNetflix in Ultra HDNetflix in HDR
Netflix is available in HDR on select Comcast Xfinity X1 set-top boxes. To stream in HDR, you will need:

A TV that supports either Dolby Vision or HDR and Netflix. (If you use a set-top box to stream Netflix, both the set-top box and TV must support HDR.)
A 4 Screen Netflix plan. You can check which plan you're currently on at Netflix.com/ChangePlan.
A steady internet connection speed of 25 megabits per second or higher.
Streaming quality set to High. More information about video quality settings can be found in our playback settings article.
The following X1 models currently support Netflix in HDR:

Arris XG1v4 (X1)

This information needs to be modified and/or removed from the Xfinity X1 FAQs:

Can I Watch Netflix in 4K UHD/HDR on Xfinity X1?

Yes, you can watch Netflix in 4K UHD (Ultra High Definition) and 4K UHD/HDR (High Dynamic Range) on Xfinity X1 as long as you have a 4K or 4K/HDR TV and/or AV receiver and/or Soundbar (HDMI port must be HDCP 2.2 compliant), a 4K-compatible TV Box and a subscription to the Netflix Premium Plan. You can consult your TV manual for more information on 4K UHD and HDR capability. You can also check or change the Netflix plan you're currently on by visiting netflix.com/ChangePlan.
How do I access Netflix on X1?
Already a Netflix subscriber? You can use your existing Netflix login credentials to sign in through the Netflix app on X1. Learn more about signing in to the Netflix app on X1.

If you're new to Netflix, you can sign up directly through Comcast. Learn more about signing up to the Netflix app on X1.

How can I receive an XG1v4 TV box?
XG1v4 TV boxes are X1 DVRs, and they are not available to order online. Please contact us to order. See an overview of X1 DVR services for more information.

Does my Netflix account have to be billed through Comcast?
No, your Netflix account does not have to be billed through Comcast.

What video resolution is required to view 4K UHDHDR content on Netflix?
Video display must be set to 2160p60 resolution. On the XG1v4 TV box, this can be done in the Settings menu on X1, and the cables provided with the XG1v4 are compatible. Please see more about using the X1 guide to adjust your video display.

What are the HDMI port requirements to view 4K UHD and 4K UHD/HDR content?
4K UHD and 4K UHD/HDR content may not be supported on all HDMI ports on the television/receiver. The HDMI port on your TV/receiver must be HDCP 2.2 and above in order to stream Ultra HD 4K Netflix content. Please consult your TV/receiver's user manual or your device manufacturer to see if your TV/receiver's HDMI ports support HDCP 2.2 and above.

If the Xfinity X1 XG1v4 TV box is connected to a HDMI port which is not 4K compatible, you may experience six to eight seconds of black screen/no signal, while the TV box automatically adjusts to the next best resolution available.

If a black screen / no signal lasts longer than 30 seconds, follow these steps:
On the Xfinity Remote, select xfinity-Up-Up-2. Enter Control Code 1080 to revert to 1080 resolution.
Ensure the XG1v4 TV box is connected to a HDMI port on your TV/receiver that is HDCP 2.2 or above.
Ensure video display on the XG1v4 TV box is set to 2160 resolution. See more about how to adjust your video display with the X1 guide for instructions.

How will I know if I'm viewing 4K UHD or 4K UHD/HDR Netflix content on X1?
Available 4K UHD titles display "4K UHD" in Netflix, in the program description. Available HDR titles display "HDR" in Netflix, in the program description, and will replace "4K UHD" being displayed in the program description.

Is there a charge to view 4K UHD or 4K UHD/HDR Netflix content on X1?
You do not pay a 4K-specific charge to view the content on X1. However, all other fees associated with your Xfinity service including DVR fees for the XG1v4 TV box, and Netflix Premium subscription plan fees will apply.

Official Employee

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

@Mr_Kludge wrote:

@ComcastLeon wrote:

Netflix HDR has not yet been enabled for the XG1v4, it's not a problem with any setups. This will come in the form of a firmware update which will be enabled for users with a 4K/HDR capable TV and Netflix premium subscription to stream HDR10 content.

A humble question and a request; Just when is this going to be enabled? and if it is goinng to be longer than say a day or two, please create an internal Comcast ticket and have both the Comcast FAQs removed or modified to reflect this AND also inform Netflix and have them modify and/or remove the information.

Let me get back to you. The teams are working hard to get the feature released, it seems that the documentation was released ahead of the feature which is causing confusion. While I can't comment on release dates I can say there should be no reason to pull down the documentation at this point.

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

6 years ago

@ComcastLeon wrote:

@Mr_Kludge wrote:

@ComcastLeon wrote:

Let me get back to you. The teams are working hard to get the feature released, it seems that the documentation was released ahead of the feature which is causing confusion. While I can't comment on release dates I can say there should be no reason to pull down the documentation at this point.

The FAQs have been online since the 1st of the year. I have seen them since early February. They seem to have been expanded somewhat recently (however I honestly never paid much attention to them until recently since all the info is common sense when it comes to 4k and HDR. It took me only a couple min. to detemine it was not enabled 2 months ago and confirmed with a call to tier-3. I since have become impatent with the delay and continued advertising that is incorrect) which may be a good sign but very bad form to release the info etc. before it is really not real. There are articles, press etc. as old as last Fall that state this is all possble and even screen shots of it working on a TV. It's time to either get off the pot and get it out there or at least post something on both Comcast and Netflix websites and FAQs to inform folks that, yes, but not yet. I'm a patient and understanding customer, but only if I not being given information that is not correct and wastes my time. Time to be transparent and at least give some info as to what the hold up is, then we can all be patient until the engineers do there marvelous thing.

I would LOVE to be able to get my grubby hands on ANY alpha/beta ANYTING code that would at least attempt at making this work. I have very specific needs and bought into and changed my TV over to X1 from legacy SPECIFICALLY for this feature. Lack of Comcast 4k content is one thing and concernes me not but having HDR and Dolby Vision with Netflix is not only required but EXPECTED these days. Technology for HDR has been perfected and out there for around 3 years now. To have a high end 4k box without HDR is really sad. It's like a kiss without a squeeze or apple pie cold without ice cream. Just leaves you wanting someting else.

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

6 years ago

After a couple hours, 4 box name changes, box swaps, numerous settings changes, swapping of power supplies and reprogramming of 4 remotes I now have HDR with NF . With the help from some nice folks over at the AVS Forums I was able to determine that the box that I have been testing with was behind on code. My other box had the correct code. The code is not the prefered released code. That box is signed up for advance preview code and when I swapped them a while back I did not request for the other to have it and drop the advance code from the other. The tech I worked with to try to get the code sorted out was unable to push the new code to my box stating that there were errors on all of my boxes related to my plan with NF. That is ludicris since I have the UHD 4k plan and it was giving me 4k. I think he just did not know how to enroll the box in the advance code.

I need to call during the day when the "A" team is working and see if I can get my other box updated to the latest. I was thinking that the code that does support HDR was in a "beta" state, but someone that just picked up a box today (yesterday) was the one that was able to send me a screen shot of their code release and I put 2 and 2 together and made HDR. It could be that this code is just now making it's rounds. Both my boxes said they were updaed on the 2nd, but one had the HDR code and the other did not. What is odd is that the one that was updated is not on a 4k TV and the one that is did not get updated. This may be since i have the DVR connected to a 4k switch that I power off when not in use to avoid freeze up and other issues upon startup. Normally you have a TV connected to these things and neither the TV nor the DVR ever fully switch off. I really think it is becuase i requested advance code on the other and the one in question was just skipped or it has problems. Who knows, it is working now at least for HDR10. Dolby Vision is not working and I suspect that is a work in progress on this box and my Oppo needs firmware if it ever gets it to enable DV on it's HDMI input anyway. HDR10 beats no HDR at all.

I am still pushing the issue with Comcast since there is info out there that it supports DV and does not. Also it appears that only some folks have or are able to get the code that supports HDR. Since the tech told me that the later code is not the "prefered" code that tells me that it is not fully baked yet.

Official Employee

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

Glad to hear you got it working.

XG1v4 only supports HDR10, the hardware does not support Dolby Vision. If you're referring to the Netflix support page, the statement about TV support is a generic Netlix statement on TV support. The supported device list states the XG1v4 supports HDR.

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

6 years ago

@ComcastLeon wrote:

Glad to hear you got it working.

XG1v4 only supports HDR10, the hardware does not support Dolby Vision. If you're referring to the Netflix support page, the statement about TV support is a generic Netlix statement on TV support. The supported device list states the XG1v4 supports HDR.

Thanks for the info an help. In standard fassion just like when I have ordered something and it's taking a long time I enquire and complain and it shows up that day or the next. I should be in the habbit of taking screen shots of things since over the weekend the NF FAQ said Arris Xg1v4 in HDR and Dolby Vision. Maybe I was seeing things. Anyhow this seems to be a work in progress. Got further help today and learnt that my working box was just updated yesterday and the other will probbaly get updated, eventually.  I was not working again today but was at least serving up HDR but not switching to it. I had to restart the box and now all is well again. Prior to that both HDR NF with my Sammy k85 AND OnDemand from the X1 box was working in HDR. This thing seems to have a mind of it's own. It is almost like every time I use it I have to restart for it to read the full system capabilities and play ball. At least I know I can beat it into submission if I need to.

Now Dolby Vision would be a nice addition but not 100% needed.

Oh and I noticed that I have a Sling TV app on X1 now. What's up with that?????

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

6 years ago

@Plucknbach wrote:

I just recently upgrated my X1 box to the XG1V4.  It is mentioned that the XG1 supports HDR10. 

When in Netflix and searching for HDR content, results show -0-.  I do find UHD contents. 

When using my smarttv to access Netflix,  I do receive results for HDR content. 

My tv is new Sony bravia xbr65x900e which supports HDR10. 

Why doesn't the Netflix app in the XG1V4 able to provide HDR results. 

Thank you.   

Have some patients (which aperently I lack). Code to support was released last week and is slowly rolling out. Depending on when you got your box deployed will probably determine when it gets updated. Don't bother calling and asking to have the code pused. This is a controled release and they are not allowing the techs. to push it out. However I know if you get a brand new box sent to you or from the store that you have a very good chance at getting the code required. 

Box code needs to be, at least: AX014AN_3.0p2s2_PROD_sey which is in the X1 settings menu/info and also in the NF app (press back at NF main screen, select config gear.cog, get help then device info for the versions. Apperently the 2015 date stamp on the NF app has nothing to do with it working or not. It is the X1 box code release that is important which informs the NF app of the system capabilites and sends it on to their servers for assets to be served up.

Contributor

• 

26 Messages

6 years ago

I wasted hours today swapping cables/inputs, researching, and hair pulling trying to figure out why my shiny brand new XG1V4 wasn't outputting in HDR for Netflix. Then I found this thread.

The communication from Comcast is severely lacking when it comes to 4K. There is misinformation everywhere.  Hope my box gets the new firmware update soon!

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

6 years ago

@Biggen12 wrote:

I wasted hours today swapping cables/inputs, researching, and hair pulling trying to figure out why my shiny brand new XG1V4 wasn't outputting in HDR for Netflix. Then I found this thread.

The communication from Comcast is severely lacking when it comes to 4K. There is misinformation everywhere.  Hope my box gets the new firmware update soon!

More info here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1455102-official-xfinity-x1-stb-thread-84.html

It's been an interesing saga. Also I posted new info there about a minor NF app update to the X1 4k box that may either be helping or hindering thing.

Totally random on who gets the correct firmware or not there is another person there that I am working with trying to get more info. He got a fairly new box and had the new f/w when I was having trouble then I found one of my boxes was updated and the other not. Last I checked my other box had still not been updated. I don't know what the secret sauce is. Even tier-3 can't push the corect firmware. Has to be the system. If you call them you might be able to escalate to engineering who may be able to do something.

Apperently, see post a bit back here, there is an update that is pushed when you connect the box to a 4k tv but it does not seem to always work. You might try a system refresh to see what happens. I was going to do one, but I found out how to maniputlate my system into behavng. Detals on that are on the AVS link I provided.

Official Employee

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

@Mr_Kludge wrote: 

Apperently, see post a bit back here, there is an update that is pushed when you connect the box to a 4k tv but it does not seem to always work. You might try a system refresh to see what happens. I was going to do one, but I found out how to maniputlate my system into behavng. Detals on that are on the AVS link I provided.

This is not true. As new software is available it rolls out in a controlled manner across the footprint and is monitored during the process to ensure that there are no issues. There is no mechanism to detect that the box is connected to a 4K TV to enable a separate software push.

For those waiting for HDR functionality in Netflix, this will come with in firmware AX014AN_3.0x and users should see this over the next week or so. Appreciate your patience

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you for this info. Makes much more sense than a lot of info out there. There has been much miscommunication, delays and confused folks both customers and on the comcast side with this feature. My guess is my 2nd box to me that has not updated yet has not done so since I received it several weeks after the other however the one that is updated is newer and has a higher serial number. I know you are probably not at liberty to disclose how the sausage is made but it would be cool to know what the pecking order is. My guess an update like this will take some time as you mention that the updates are monitored which means manual intervention or at least someone watching logs while it happens.

Now all we need is dolby vision and of course at least some HDR on demand content other than the Olympics. I suspect the first HDR broadcast content will be on premium channels, the commercial free versions of top tier cable channels like AMC or possibly new pay for content options like movie rentals, purchases or maybe even new content choices.

As I mentioned here and in avs. I did see an update within the last couple days which confirms a new version of nf. When my HDR on nf started to finally work the version was slightly different. And of course I had to get at least one box with the firmware you mention in order to even test it. The older version does support hdr on comcast content so that makes it even more confusing and frustrating as yesterday's poster mentioned. They had hours of frustration. I had a frustrating entire weekend last and some more later last week. Last weekend I saw some activity that pointed to this having been released and so I started asking and testing.

If you see this please see my posts on a a for more detail but I have found that if you don't exit no in a certain way then when the system is powered off then back on (TV. Avr, switches and other components--not the xg1) then had will be served up but WILL NOT switch to HDR most of the time. A dvr restart or going in and properly exiting Netflix is required to get it back. It results in some off behavior like hibana--spark-- displaying hd/4k with washed out colors. Early this morning I tried mine and it was not working initially but then did a giant hdmi handshake and resync and then was fine after that without having to exit and go back in or restart the box. I have started to leave my switch on have my Oppo which is essentially acting as an avr and TV all in their fast start modes. However I had watched TV for several hours before trying nf. There seems to be some hdmi handshake and other issues that can cause this box to act rather strangely and it does not do so with the comcast content. I suspect the new nf app which seems to be making somethings better but introducing other anomalies. All this is VERY hard to troubleshoot or reproduce.

Official Employee

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

@Mr_Kludge wrote:
Now all we need is dolby vision and of course at least some HDR on demand content other than the Olympics. 

If you see this please see my posts on a a for more detail but I have found that if you don't exit no in a certain way then when the system is powered off then back on (TV. Avr, switches and other components--not the xg1) then had will be served up but WILL NOT switch to HDR most of the time. A dvr restart or going in and properly exiting Netflix is required to get it back. It results in some off behavior like hibana--spark-- displaying hd/4k with washed out colors. Early this morning I tried mine and it was not working initially but then did a giant hdmi handshake and resync and then was fine after that without having to exit and go back in or restart the box. I have started to leave my switch on have my Oppo which is essentially acting as an avr and TV all in their fast start modes. However I had watched TV for several hours before trying nf. There seems to be some hdmi handshake and other issues that can cause this box to act rather strangely and it does not do so with the comcast content. I suspect the new nf app which seems to be making somethings better but introducing other anomalies. All this is VERY hard to troubleshoot or reproduce.

As stated previously, the XG1v4 hardware does not support Dolby Vision. There's no option to enabled this in the future.

I'm not sure that I fully understand your HDMI switch setup or I haven't seen a post with the full setup description. I would start by testing the XG1v4 connected directly to the TV to see how that experience goes and then take a look at your switching device.

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

6 years ago

@ComcastLeon wrote:

@Mr_Kludge wrote:
Now all we need is dolby vision and of course at least some HDR on demand content other than the Olympics. 

As stated previously, the XG1v4 hardware does not support Dolby Vision. There's no option to enabled this in the future.

I'm not sure that I fully understand your HDMI switch setup or I haven't seen a post with the full setup description. I would start by testing the XG1v4 connected directly to the TV to see how that experience goes and then take a look at your switching device.

Ok. However supporting Dolby VIson is a software/firmware thing so maybe it will be capable in the future. If not no big deal we will just get new boxes in the future.

I will have to think on reconfiguring my system for a day or two to see if it acts any differently just connected to the TV but I suspect that I will be able to reprodice the issues in that configuration. What I am doing is not that much differnet and there should not be issues since NOTHNING else in my envoromnmnt has these issues except for HDR functionality with NetFlix on the Xg1V4. Having spend an enormous amount of time on this issue I'm not sure I'm willing to spend more given that I'm the customer paying an enormous amount to Comcast for service wach month and not being compensated in any way for my trouble other than endless frustration dealing with support. Might be considered entertainment, learning and knowledge but I have abot a million other things I would rather be doing with my time. This evening when I go home I will snake the v4 HDMI directly to the TV and religate myself to fiber from the TV to the AVR for the week. I will do a few start-ups/shutdowns in my usual activities and see if I can trip it up. If I can't then problem solved at east in the eyes of Comcast but you must realize that there are way more less simple and complicated set-ups out there that you need to be compatable with; AVRs, soundbars, home theaters etc. Reminde me of the early days with the Moto HDMI boxes. I had the same issues. Worked to TV, did not work or had issues/work arounds with AVR, switcheds etc. All those issues were corected over time on the legacy boxes and hopfully over time they will be on X1 and with 4k.

Official Employee

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

@Mr_Kludge wrote:

Ok. However supporting Dolby VIson is a software/firmware thing so maybe it will be capable in the future. If not no big deal we will just get new boxes in the future.

I will have to think on reconfiguring my system for a day or two to see if it acts any differently just connected to the TV but I suspect that I will be able to reprodice the issues in that configuration. What I am doing is not that much differnet and there should not be issues since NOTHNING else in my envoromnmnt has these issues except for HDR functionality with NetFlix on the Xg1V4. Having spend an enormous amount of time on this issue I'm not sure I'm willing to spend more given that I'm the customer paying an enormous amount to Comcast for service wach month and not being compensated in any way for my trouble other than endless frustration dealing with support. Might be considered entertainment, learning and knowledge but I have abot a million other things I would rather be doing with my time. This evening when I go home I will snake the v4 HDMI directly to the TV and religate myself to fiber from the TV to the AVR for the week. I will do a few start-ups/shutdowns in my usual activities and see if I can trip it up. If I can't then problem solved at east in the eyes of Comcast but you must realize that there are way more less simple and complicated set-ups out there that you need to be compatable with; AVRs, soundbars, home theaters etc. Reminde me of the early days with the Moto HDMI boxes. I had the same issues. Worked to TV, did not work or had issues/work arounds with AVR, switcheds etc. All those issues were corected over time on the legacy boxes and hopfully over time they will be on X1 and with 4k.

Dolby Vision requires specific hardware, it is not only a software/firmware thing. The XG1v4 will never support DV.

Before jumping through the hoops of changing your setup around, can you give me details on how things are connected? What I've been able to gather is that you have the XG1v4 connected to the HDMI input port of an Oppo 203 with one ouput of the Oppo going to the TV and one going to an AVR. Anything else in the path? Do other devices work properly with HDR when passed through the Oppo?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here