champino21's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

Wednesday, June 10th, 2020 3:00 PM

Closed

Getting Dolby Atmos to work on Xfinity Flex

Per this article: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/dolby-atmos-x1 I understand that X1 provides Dolby Atmos content. I have an Xi6-T Xfinity Flex box and I am unable to find any Dolby Atmos content (via voice search for "Dolby Atmos"). I've called support and received varying answers on whether or not Flex supports Dolby Atmos (yes it does, no it doesn't, I am not sure).

Can anyone here with an Xfinity Flex box confirm whether or not they can access Dolby Atmos content?

My current set up: HDMI 2.0 cable running from the Flex to my Dolby Atmos sound bar. Another HDMI 2.0 cable running from the soundbar to my TV's ARC port. ARC/CEC on my TV are working fine and Digital Audio output is set to bittstream. Video and audio are also working fine, I just can't get/find Dolby Atmos content (just Dolby Digital, etc).

Lastly, can someone please DM me the instructions for doing a factory reset on my Xi6-T box?

Accepted Solution

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Well, after a week of back and forth communications with Xfinity Support, they confirmed that Flex DOES NOT support Dolby Atmos. They were not able to explain why this is the case or provide any kind of timeline for it being added in the future. Hopefully this page https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/dolby-atmos-x1 will be updated soon before someone else buys Dolby Atmos equipment and expects it to work with Flex. Bummer....

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

@Rustyben - the controller is working fine. I can controll the volume of the soundbar with the remote (adjusting via HMDI ARC). And like I mentioned, the general restart and system refresh have not done anything to fix. So intructions for a factory reset would be super helpful.

I have an HDMI 2.0 cord running from the Flex box (HDMI TV port on the flex) to the HDMI in port on the soundbar. Then another HDMI 2.0 cable running from the HDMI out port of the soundbar to the HDMI ARC port of my TV.

I really just need to know with 100% certainty if Flex support Dolby Atmos as suggested in this article: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/dolby-atmos-x1 . I have followed the instructions and nothing appears when I do a voice search for "Dobly Atmos." If I can't get help answering this, I would love to know how to do a factory reset

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

@CCAndrew Can you please DM me the instructions for doing a factory reset? I recall seeing a question in the initial set up about "using a soundbar." I did not have the soundbar when I initially set up my box, so I want to do a factory reset and start from scratch (the general reset and system refresh have not worked)

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@champino21 wrote:

@CCAndrew Can you please DM me the instructions for doing a factory reset? I recall seeing a question in the initial set up about "using a soundbar." I did not have the soundbar when I initially set up my box, so I want to do a factory reset and start from scratch (the general reset and system refresh have not worked)

just use the 'A' remote button and go through remote control's setup. What is the name of the HDMI connection you are using on the Dolby sound bar? does the sound bar's owner's manual have a troubleshooting section for dolby? remember that dolby is a text based additional stream that the ATMOS capable device reads and executes. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

I believe it does but I think it’s only on Netflix (possibly Prime).

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

@Rustyben Got it, I will give this a try and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion. Will Atmos work if I dont have a 4k TV? I know Atmos is just audio, but just want to be sure in case the flex box will only activate Atmos w/ 4k video

And @CCAndrew yes, I have Netflix and Prime. I can get Atmos to work with the soundbar when I plug in my Firestick and use these apps. It's just through the Flex that I have issues

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@champino21 wrote:

@Rustyben - the controller is working fine. I can controll the volume of the soundbar with the remote (adjusting via HMDI ARC). And like I mentioned, the general restart and system refresh have not done anything to fix. So intructions for a factory reset would be super helpful.

I have an HDMI 2.0 cord running from the Flex box (HDMI TV port on the flex) to the HDMI in port on the soundbar. Then another HDMI 2.0 cable running from the HDMI out port of the soundbar to the HDMI ARC port of my TV.

I really just need to know with 100% certainty if Flex support Dolby Atmos as suggested in this article: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/dolby-atmos-x1 . I have followed the instructions and nothing appears when I do a voice search for "Dobly Atmos." If I can't get help answering this, I would love to know how to do a factory reset

redo that wiring. ARC is 'output' from TV to soundbar. (ARC audio return channel). connect the x1 to the TV in HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 (read tV manual to determine 4k input(s)). then run HDMI from the TV's ARC to the sound bar (to ARC in if you have a port like that) or as described in your sound bar's manual.  then go into your X1 audio menu and set to expert mode.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

The factory reset won’t help. I don’t remember the exact order of crazy button pushes. It won’t reset/change any settings. Do you have a Netflix or Prime subscription?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

After being transferred 4 times and being put in a queue of 40, I’ve given up. It must not be for the newer 4K boxes..

Last week I requested a 4K X1 box but they sent me the flex device. Not sure why Atmos is listed as supported on not only the xfinity site, but any review site I’ve found for the flex. Disappointing.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

@Erthwrks sorry to hear that... Seems pretty backwards that new 4k boxes wouldn't support Atmos. Then again, most things with Comcast don't seem to make a lot of sense to me. I wish they would be more transparent about the specific boxes that support Atmos instead of vaugly bragging about the feature on their website. Oh well, guess they'll just have to add 2 more people to their ever growning list of unhappy customers

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@champino21 wrote:

@Erthwrks sorry to hear that... Seems pretty backwards that new 4k boxes wouldn't support Atmos. Then again, most things with Comcast don't seem to make a lot of sense to me. I wish they would be more transparent about the specific boxes that support Atmos instead of vaugly bragging about the feature on their website. Oh well, guess they'll just have to add 2 more people to their ever growning list of unhappy customers

if you connect a 4k set top box to your TV, and run the ARC cable to the ARC input on the receiver/soundbar that is ATMOS capable then your ATMOS will work. be sure to check the quality of the two HDMI cables for high speed. ATMOS is just a codec (and a text file at that) that is one of the streams. cloud recordings will not have more than stereo 2.0.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

@Rustyben - I appreciate and understand your response, however the problem is that the Flex box doesn't contain the Atmos codec to begin with. So you can have a TV and a receiver/soundbar that supports Atmos, but it won't work if the Flex box doesn't provide the codec. 

For example: I have the same exact set up as you described above. I do not get Atmos sound when using the Flex box. If I use an Apple TV or Firestick 4k in place of Flex the Atmos sound will work. It's just a flaw of the Flex service

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I just recently installed the xi6 box and finally got Dolby Atmos!
It’s only on a few movies & shows with Prime & Netflix. But I gotit!
Don’t listen to sales/service crew. They do not have a clue. Go xi6, the XG1v4 does not support Dolby Atmos

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Only on Netflix & Prime. Make sure you select “expert mode” i device settings (audio)

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

You have to have a 4k Dolby ATMOS enabled receiver and Xfinity Xi6 wireless box for it to work. Also set audio settings to “expert mode” Don’t listen to sales/service technicians .. they are clueless. It’s only on a few select programs on Prime and Netflix.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here