shimadk1's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, March 12th, 2019 11:00 PM

Closed

DVR recordings disappeared

All my recordings prior to 12/31/2018 disappeared today without me deleting them.  Is there another problem that has occurred with the cloud recordings or has the daily update just removed older recordings?

There was was sufficient space so please don't tell me that they were deleted to make room for new recordings. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

27 Messages

4 years ago

Rustyben,

Through careful trouble shooting, I have found the following:

All shows that are programmed to record through the internet interface are recorded ONLY on the cloud.

All shows that are programmed to record through the DVR interface are recorded on the device AND on the cloud.

When the cloud reaches 60 hours, the older programs auto delete.

If the program was recorded through the DVD interface, the older cloud program will auto delete, but the DVD copy will not.

It is very possible to have a low percentage of used space on your DVD hard drive, but have the cloud space completely full.  This explains why the hard drive seems so empty, yet programs are dropping off the menu.  All programming should be through the actual DVR interface, and not through the internet, to avoid this problem.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks all. This makes sense to me in theory, but I ONLY record things through the DVR interface. I never even looked at the internet interface until investigating the missing recordings yesterday. I recorded an Oklahoma gymnastics meet on Jan 17 on the DVR, and it disappeared without being watched or deleted on Feb 14 or 15. (I believe a few others disappeared too but I know for sure one from the 17th disappeared.) We never hit more than 35% full on the hard drive, and I never recorded in the cloud. It does not appear in the recently deleted folder, nor on the cloud interface Sounds very similar to a few other situations earlier in the chain. Ideas to prevent this going forward very welcome. The DVR is the only reason at this point we keep cable...

Contributor

• 

27 Messages

4 years ago

I discovered the solution to my recording problem by comparing the recorded programs on "All Devices" vs. the recorded programs on the DVR (in my case "Media Room").  I did the same for the scheduled programs and that's how I found the pattern to how the recordings wound up where they appeared.  You might want to compare your "All Devices" shows against your DVR shows.  It may help you spot why things are happening as they are.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Appreciate the idea but we only have one device (the DVR). We have 35 recordings on the DVR and 35 on All Devices. Between that and the fact that I have only ever used the DVR interface to set up the recording, I am confident this wasn't an issue of a cloud recording (at least not one caused by me).

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@foxes-1 wrote:

I discovered the solution to my recording problem by comparing the recorded programs on "All Devices" vs. the recorded programs on the DVR (in my case "Media Room").  I did the same for the scheduled programs and that's how I found the pattern to how the recordings wound up where they appeared.  You might want to compare your "All Devices" shows against your DVR shows.  It may help you spot why things are happening as they are.

other than using 'all devices' that feature has current problems. the 'only' way to tell what you are watching (source) is to begin playing it on the home DVR then when play symbols and progress bar fades away press the OK button. if it says DVR you are watching the home DVR copy. if it has a white 'cloud' icon before DVR it is playing the cloud copy. I had  of 4 older (clock on front) DVRs that had failing hard drives so got many cloud version on playing back recordings.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

(FWIW, all of ours also say DVR in the corner when we play them so that doesn't explain the disappearing act.) I private messaged ComcastChe but no response so far. The other Comcast employees in this thread seem to be no longer with the company. Anyone have any success with someone actively helping them? Thanks again!

Contributor

• 

27 Messages

4 years ago

I have 2 episodes of Nature: one appears on "Media Room" list and both appear on "All Devices" list of recorded programs.  When I play either one and press the "OK" button after the banner disappears, the word DVR is visible.  There is no cloud symbol.  Not for either program.  

I really don't care whether I am watching a cloud or DVR program.  I am only concerned with being able to access the programs I record and watch them when I choose to watch them without worrying about them dropping off my list.

Some of my older programs, like NCIS had been programmed to record before the TYVO lawsuit.  After the lawsuit was settled and the RECORD button was returned to the internet interface, I found that those programs were not appearing on the "Media Room" list, but were showing up on the "All Devices" list.  I then cancelled all future recordings of those programs and reprogrammed them through the DVR interface.  They now show up on the "Media Room" list and I do not have to worry about them being auto deleted.  I still find myself periodically comparing the two lists of scheduled programs instead of the saved programs.  That seems to be the best way to see what's going on.  And I have found that the ONLY way to compare the lists is to take a pen and pad and write down each program.  Time consuming, but worth it.  Using the interface to tell you how many programs are on your list doesn't work.

This is what works for me and my DVR.  It has been an aggravating journey, but right now I feel I finally have some control over my recorded TV programs.

An

Official Employee

• 

6.9K Messages

4 years ago

Hi @abouttogiveup

I've been investigating your account and recordings and will have an update shortly. 

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@foxes-1 wrote:

I have 2 episodes of Nature: one appears on "Media Room" list and both appear on "All Devices" list of recorded programs.  When I play either one and press the "OK" button after the banner disappears, the word DVR is visible.  There is no cloud symbol.  Not for either program.  

I really don't care whether I am watching a cloud or DVR program.  I am only concerned with being able to access the programs I record and watch them when I choose to watch them without worrying about them dropping off my list.

Some of my older programs, like NCIS had been programmed to record before the TYVO lawsuit.  After the lawsuit was settled and the RECORD button was returned to the internet interface, I found that those programs were not appearing on the "Media Room" list, but were showing up on the "All Devices" list.  I then cancelled all future recordings of those programs and reprogrammed them through the DVR interface.  They now show up on the "Media Room" list and I do not have to worry about them being auto deleted.  I still find myself periodically comparing the two lists of scheduled programs instead of the saved programs.  That seems to be the best way to see what's going on.  And I have found that the ONLY way to compare the lists is to take a pen and pad and write down each program.  Time consuming, but worth it.  Using the interface to tell you how many programs are on your list doesn't work.

This is what works for me and my DVR.  It has been an aggravating journey, but right now I feel I finally have some control over my recorded TV programs.

An

there is only 'one' recording. you are seeing it on the all devices and on the separate device you selected. the home X1 equipment will play the home DVR copy if available. power failures and other events can cause your home DVR to not have a copy. in that case the home X1 equipment will 'fall back' to the cloud DVR copy and play that copy.

Contributor

• 

27 Messages

4 years ago

I could not possibly have had that many power failures or other events.  Once I re-programmed all of my older programs through the DVR interface, there were no more programs deleting themselves and the recordings showed up where I expected them to.  I don't think that was coincidence.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I have had this issue before but wrote it off to user error!! LOL My issue might seem like a variation of other reported issues. On my DVR say there are episodes 1-12 of Van Helsing. I watch the first 5 and looked ahead and saw episode 7 and 9 were missing. All other are still there 5, 6, 8 and 10-12. When I go to list episodes, 7 and 9 are now listed as availble to buy. Even on the NBC app it says video no longer available. So could the issue maybe be related to content owner just pulling the content's availability? Just wondering how they would know I have a copy on my DVR? The wife now wants to watch everything before it disappears which sort of defeats the purpose of a DVR!!!

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@Vinsterx wrote:

I have had this issue before but wrote it off to user error!! LOL My issue might seem like a variation of other reported issues. On my DVR say there are episodes 1-12 of Van Helsing. I watch the first 5 and looked ahead and saw episode 7 and 9 were missing. All other are still there 5, 6, 8 and 10-12. When I go to list episodes, 7 and 9 are now listed as availble to buy. Even on the NBC app it says video no longer available. So could the issue maybe be related to content owner just pulling the content's availability? Just wondering how they would know I have a copy on my DVR? The wife now wants to watch everything before it disappears which sort of defeats the purpose of a DVR!!!

change your recording series option to 'new and repeats'. as the shows run over and over during the summer you can pick the missing episodes back up.  you could try a free trial of syfy when you have time to binge.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@soannoyed1927 wrote:
I am having the same problem. New DVR box in last month or so, only one box, only record from box (not internet), box never above 30% full, and recordings disappear for no reason. When you pay hundreds of dollars per month, you expect the service to work. Comcast, why haven't you fixed this?!?! It's clearly been a problem for years now. This didn't happen until I recently got the new box. Unacceptable. Might be time to switch to youtubetv.

are you in a multi-person living environment (apartment/condo)? you may just be missing a POE filter so others can see/remove your device's recordigs).

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I am having the same problem. New DVR box in last month or so, only one box, only record from box (not internet), box never above 30% full, and recordings disappear for no reason. When you pay hundreds of dollars per month, you expect the service to work. Comcast, why haven't you fixed this?!?! It's clearly been a problem for years now. This didn't happen until I recently got the new box. Unacceptable. Might be time to switch to youtubetv.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

No.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here