fdm2000's profile

Contributor

• 

96 Messages

Wednesday, February 12th, 2020 6:00 AM

Closed

Audio Dropouts - need advice

Need help determining if the sound dropouts are caused by the Samsung UN65NU800D TV (still under warranty) set or the set top converter box signal input provided by my cable service provider Comcast Xfinity. Is there a way to bypass the signals from the cable box and still hear sounds on the TV. Since my TV is a smart tv it is receivng a WiFi signal from Comcast as well. So to eliminate any souund input from Comcast both the cable box and the WiFi would have to be temporarily disabled - will have to figure out how to accomplish this and simultaneously figure out how to get TV to produce sounds?
Any suggestions would be appreciated - I'm 88 years old and any advice would need to be in simple terms.
Frank

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@fdm2000 wrote:

Need help determining if the sound dropouts are caused by the Samsung UN65NU800D TV (still under warranty) set or the set top converter box signal input provided by my cable service provider Comcast Xfinity. Is there a way to bypass the signals from the cable box and still hear sounds on the TV. Since my TV is a smart tv it is receivng a WiFi signal from Comcast as well. So to eliminate any souund input from Comcast both the cable box and the WiFi would have to be temporarily disabled - will have to figure out how to accomplish this and simultaneously figure out how to get TV to produce sounds?
Any suggestions would be appreciated - I'm 88 years old and any advice would need to be in simple terms.
Frank

voice command 'about' what is the rest of the line after "STB version"?

Contributor

• 

96 Messages

4 years ago

RustyBen wrote 

STB version is : PXO13AN_3.12p6s1_sey

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@fdm2000 wrote:

RustyBen wrote 

that model is not known to have an audio drop out problem. you might try one of the new 4k set top boxes (same price) xg1v4.

Contributor

• 

96 Messages

4 years ago

Rustyben wrote:

that model is not known to have an audio drop out problem. you might try one of the new 4k set top boxes (same price) xg1v4.

Will have to check out the new 4k cable boxes from Xfinity - preferred the older model because it came with RCA sound out ports that I could connect to my older non digital stereo that has no optical digital input or HDMI input. What Xfintity offered the last time I checked was all digital audio outputs.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Frank

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@fdm2000 wrote:
Rustyben wrote:

Will have to check out the new 4k cable boxes from Xfinity - preferred the older model because it came with RCA sound out ports that I could connect to my older non digital stereo that has no optical digital input or HDMI input. What Xfintity offered the last time I checked was all digital audio outputs.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Frank

I had same problem swapping out same model number for a 4k unit. i got this (overkill as it has 2 HDMI outputs from amazon. (this amazon link)  installed easily and if you don't need new inputs won't need to change inputs. I actually added (finally) a Roku Ultra that I had no inputs available to install on the TV. my old sony receiver wants digital coax or SPDIF.  

Contributor

• 

96 Messages

4 years ago

‎02-20-2020 10:28 AMThat’s a first generation dvr, swap it out. 

I would Andrew if I could get an uppdated DVR with RCA audio output connections for my excellent older stereo receiver that has no HDMI or optical inputs. Will struggle with the old Pace DVR until the stereo dies.

Contributor

• 

96 Messages

4 years ago

Currently having a several day period with no dropouts - does this suggest a Comcast signal problem? From line drop or from the Pace XG1 DVD cable box and not the Samsung TV

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

That’s a first generation dvr, swap it out

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Sorry to hear but those earliest dvrs are known for audio issues. Do you have other X1 equipment?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@fdm2000 wrote:
‎02-20-2020 10:28 AMThat’s a first generation dvr, swap it out. 

I would Andrew if I could get an uppdated DVR with RCA audio output connections for my excellent older stereo receiver that has no HDMI or optical inputs. Will struggle with the old Pace DVR until the stereo dies.

I had same problem but hard drive went out. i have a 4k DVR now using a device from amazon that breaks out the audio (it is a 4 device in capability and two device out). it is cheap and works well for me with my old first gen sony receiver. I needed optical out but the devices offer optical and coaxial cable and rca outputs (a 3.5mm jack so a 3.5 male to female rca cable  or adapater would be needed. let me knwo and i'll look up the link from my order.

Contributor

• 

96 Messages

4 years ago

Yes would appreciate the link for the device you purchased.

Contributor

• 

96 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks Andrew - yes I would appreciate the link for the device you described

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

@fdm2000
Do you have other X1 equipment or is the dvr all that you have?

Contributor

• 

96 Messages

4 years ago

Yes I have Xfinity with the Xfinity modem/router and the Xfinity X1  DVR cable box which has RCA audio output and digital audio out (unused) because my old stero receiver only has RCA audio input.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@fdm2000 wrote:

Yes would appreciate the link for the device you purchased.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MYRX22F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it has a very lightweight remote. my son set up a harmony remote that 'learned' the code. I was able to then use that box to add a Roku to that TV. originally intended to just use the split out function for audio.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here