• 

13 Messages

Sunday, February 7th, 2021 12:00 PM

Closed

4K TV - Technical questions, Xfinity frustration

Howdy - First, my Xfinity set up as it currently is:

**Internet**

* 1Gb speed package
* Own my own modem and router (modem is a SB8200, router is a Asus AX88U)

**TV**

* 3 TVs with Xfinity boxes
* Living Room - 4K TV with a XG1v4-A DVR (which already supports 4K, this was news to me today)
* Basement - 4K TV with a XiD-P Xfinity box which is not 4K capable
* Master Bedroom - 1080p TV with a XiD-P Xfinity box. 4K is not necessary here obviously

**Situation**

I really didn't even realize Xfinity had 4K service available yet until, in the cable box settings on my basement TV, I see a message that I can upgrade my equipment for no fee to support 4K. The TV tells me I can order the necessary box right from the TV interface but when I attempt to do this it says I need to call Xfinity customer service.

The I went through 3 agents ( cold transfers, so wonderful), each of them giving me different answers why they could not simply replace my XiD-P Xfinity box for the basement TV with a 4K capable model, at least not without changes to the rest of my set up.

The first agent was initially hung up on the fact that I own my own modem and router. She seemed to think that a 4K upgrade for my basement TV would mean that I need to rent Xfinity's modem/router. This is a hard no for me. She also wasn't technical enough to explain why this was the case so she transferred me.

The second agent never said anything about my modem. She was insisting that I needed to replace my DVR with a new model that supports a wireless connection to the new 4K capable box that would be for the basement TV. I told her I did not want another wireless network in my house, I want to use the same coax cable that the XiD-P already uses. After all, if my XG1v4-A receives a 4K signal over coax why can't the new box? She cold transferred me to a third agent.

Unfortunately at this point I'm pretty terse with the third agent given that I'm starting over... again. He seems to know a little more, but not by much. He told me that the new boxes did not support a coax connection, only wireless. I asked him if the box had an ethernet connection. He said it did. I asked him if, instead of a wireless connection, could I use the ethernet I have in the basement instead. He seemed to think that I could. My next question to him was, if the basement TV now uses ethernet, an IP connection more specifically, would the data that the basement TV uses watching normal TV consume data that would count against my 1.25TB data cap? He waffled, initially saying that it would count against my cap, then saying it wouldn't.

So, I'm confused. What's the real story?

* Is my own modem and router compatible with the 4K TV service that I want? I hope my modem and router are beside the point/not part of the equation but I'm unsure.

* Do I need to replace my XG1v4-A DVR with a different model so that I can have 4K TV in the basement? I would rather not replace the DVR - and certainly not with a model that doesn't have its own hard drive/storage.

* Can I really use ethernet rather than setting up some Xfinity wifi network in my house? Wireless only would almost certainly make this a non-starter.

* Can I get 4K in the basement with my existing coax? (preferable)

* If I can use ethernet (acceptable) rather than wireless (unacceptable) for 4K in the basement will watching regular broadcast TV consume data that would count against my 1.25TB data cap?

Thank you for reading this saga. I appreciate your time.

Accepted Solution

Contributor

• 

113 Messages

3 years ago

I believe currently the best solution if you want 4K on the TV with an XiD box is to get a 4K Roku streaming stick plus.  This solution will give you most sources of 4K (not from Comcast).  Currently the availability of 4K content through an XG1v4 is limited to special  sports events and a very limited amount of content which does not count against your data cap.  Much af the content shown is available on sources such as Netflix and Amazon which counts against your data cap and is available on the 4K Roku device.  One plus is the Roku device does not have a monthly fee and has Xfinitty Stream Beta which gives you most of the functionality of an X1 device.  An X1 device does have a much better voice search and the X1 remote allows a better user experience.   The Xi6 could at some point in the furture work with your own modem and router but currently it does not.   Recently the Amazon 4K devices also have added the Xfinity Stream Beta app. 

Problem Solver

• 

788 Messages

3 years ago

@APK17 Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us regarding updating your TV equipment. I am so sorry to hear that you have been through so much. First I would like to supply you a link that will provide you some more information on our 4k devices and the services that are supported and will address the concerns that you have regarding your current equipment. https://comca.st/3aNVfE1. Wireless devices do require you to rent one of our wireless modems to use. They do have ethernet connections on the back of the devices. Please let me know if this addresses your concerns. I would love to assist should you have any further questions. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

I’ve seen the information on the link you provided. It doesn’t answer my questions.

I’m afraid your answers only barely touch on the information and answers I hope to get.

Problem Solver

• 

788 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for all of your time and patience. Should you change your mind or have any further questions or concerns please reach out here at any time we would be more than happy to assist. 

Problem Solver

• 

788 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to reach back out to us, I am so sorry to hear that your concerns were not fully addressed.

1. If I can use ethernet (acceptable) rather than wireless (unacceptable) for 4K in the basement will watching regular broadcast TV consume data that would count against my 1.25TB data cap?

Any device that connects and uses the internet is going to effect your data usage.

2. Can I get 4K in the basement with my existing coax? (preferable)

4k devices are wireless and do either require a wireless internet connection or an ethernet cable connection.

3. Is my own modem and router compatible with the 4K TV service that I want? I hope my modem and router are beside the point/not part of the equation but I'm unsure.

The device does require that you have a leased modem to use.

4. Do I need to replace my XG1v4-A DVR with a different model so that I can have 4K TV in the basement? I would rather not replace the DVR - and certainly not with a model that doesn't have its own hard drive/storage.

4K UHD and 4K UHD/HDR content viewing requires an Xfinity X1 XG1v4 or Xi6 TV Box, or Flex Xi6 streaming device.

I hope that this does help to fully address your questions and concerns. Should you like assistance in ordering a 4k device I would be more than happy to assist you. Just reach out through private message (find out how to do so with this link https://comca.st/2LvSrTs) with your first and last name, name on the account if different and service address. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

No thank you for help ordering. Xfinity’s requirements for 4K TV in my basement means that Xfinity’s technology and my desired configuration are not compatible.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

3 years ago

@APK17 wrote:
No thank you for help ordering. Xfinity’s requirements for 4K TV in my basement means that Xfinity’s technology and my desired configuration are not compatible.

a few things. the use of set top boxes and streaming devices on numbered channels and regular (not TVgo) on-demand as well as watching any recordings does not count toward your cap. the easy fix for your basement until a new type of box is hopefully offered, is to order another xg1v4 DVR. That would give you back your tuner the xiD is using from your DVR, or if you choose not to go with another 4k DVR, you could swap the xiD to same-priced XG2 which also will let your DVR have all 6 tuners available.  I had my own modem/gateway but opted for an XB rented gateway and it is in bridge mode. while in bridge mode the gateway will not support (make work) the xi6 4k companion as the wifi is completely off, and MoCA is completely off so the xi6 would not be able to communicate with the xg1v4 via ethernet (MoCA over ethernet).

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you for the suggestion.  Until they make the gateway free that is a non-starter for me.  Xfinity/Comcast gleen all kinds of information for themselves (and probably sell to third parties) from those devices.  I'm not going to pay a rental fee to help them harvest user data.

I had thought of the second xg1v4 for the basement and I guess that would accomplish the goal of 4K in the basement.  The drawbacks being cost and I don't suppose the two xg1v4's let you coordinate recordings in any fashion, do they?  If I don't know what TV I may end up watching a program on I'd have to manage recordings in two places, is that right?

Official Employee

• 

263 Messages

3 years ago

No. X1 dvr is a whole hone solution, you can record on one and watch on another

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

Yeah. So many possibilities but none of them good enough (for me). I’m a pain, I’m sorry.

We already have a hard enough time with the data cap that using more data to watch broadcast TV with the Xfinity app is not appealing. Plus, I’d rather the app was made available on AppleTV as I have one there already.

Thank you for the suggestions though. I appreciate them.

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

I agree. Generally my attitude is that any device that can be wired to Ethernet should be. Wireless is for phones, tablets, laptops, and IoT devices.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

Just wanted to pile on - I have a very similar configuration (own an Arris T25 modem) and I'm working with a Comcast tech to sort out the best solution.  I think we're just going to replace my HD DVR with the 4K DVR XG1V4 and leave the rest on HD (I've got 3 XiD-Ps).  My HD DVR is pretty old and is starting to make more noise so I think its time for a replacement in any case.

Comcast making Wireless central to this 4K rollout seems shall we say a bit aggressive.  I just took my house back from almost all WiFi to almost all Gigabit Ethernet because of issues with WiFi and Streaming Video that we're all too familiar with now.  And that's with 600 Megabit broadband and an AC5000 router.  Life became so much easier with the wired Ethernet connected to all of my computers and TVs.

Administrator

• 

653 Messages

3 years ago

Hey @APK17! It looks like a solution was already provided by another guest, but you and hmbay nailed that right on the head--whenever possible, we recommend hooking devices via ethernet for the most reliable and seamless experience, especially as there are so many factors beyond our control that can affect wireless signal at home. Take it from someone who lived in an apartment complex right by a nest of electrical wires for years. Bad times.

Our labs are constantly at work trying out new systems, including software and hardware, to bring the best in-home entertainment experiences possible--and we do take all feedback seriously. If there's ever anything you think of that would improve upon your experiences, don't hesitate to let us know--it helps everyone out.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

Simply put... people are going back to wired gigabit Ethernet because WiFi has just not delivered the goods - even with all the bells and whistles.  I paid serious money for my modem and router to get good service and the WiFi just doesn't live up to it.  I could go on and on about all the different devices that just randomly connect and disconnect from WiFi - something that just doesn't happen with wired Ethernet.  And I'm not in a high-interference area.  So I now have a 16-port Gigabit switch as my backbone and 3 satellite switches in different parts of the house and everything works great from Zoom to hi-def TV apps.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

3 years ago

Thank you for sending us a Private Message, @hmbay! If your DVR is making loud noises, we can definitely get that replaced for you. I know I'd be annoyed if I couldn't hear my favorite shows over the sound of my equipment. The main 4K DVR is wired and can be used alongside your own modem. The additional 4K devices are only compatible with modems rented from us, so you can keep your current additional boxes. When do you plan to visit the store to replace the cable box? I'd love to follow up and make sure everything is working properly :). 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here