jmar76's profile

Contributor

• 

37 Messages

Monday, November 27th, 2017 11:00 AM

Closed

Can't set recordings from stream app

So this has happened to me before on occasion but not lately, but today I tried to set recordings for several different things using the xfinity stream app and for some reason today the option just isn't there. Over the weekend I also just happened to read that Comcast just lost a decision by the ITC in favor of Rovi in a patent suit saying that Comcast is infringing on Rovi's patent for the technology in the app that is used to set recordings on mobile devices for X1 set top boxes. So I'm just wondering is it just a coincidence that it's not even an option for me today and perhaps due to maintenance of some kind on the app, or did Comcast temporarily pull this technology from the app as a result of the ruling by the ITC? Thanks very much to anyone who can shed some light on this.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@travellingman wrote:

I have just been informed in a chat with Comcast that the ability to record remotely has been removed from the app and I  am very upset. This is one of the reasons we got the x1 system. I don't know how to tell Comcast this is a bad decision.

Hi, I moved your post to the stream app area of the forum. the best Comcast answer appears on page one of this thread in answer to the first post.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

So whats the point of having the app anymore then???????

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I am disgusted with the fact that I can NO LONGER manage my DVR from the computer.  It's always worked well for me, and I feel like I've had the rug pulled out from me!   I don't like scheduling from the tv, but that's what has to be done now.  Comcast - get your head out of your butt and recognize that people are NOT happy with this change.   Bring the DVR Manager back to the computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@djvo wrote:

Whoever is responsible for this, it is a stupid unfounded decision.  Setting a recording by an app is no different than a wireless keyboard used as an extension of a connected keyboard - the app is just a wireless extension to you being physically at your DVR.  Just a different medium delivery.  This again brings up the belief that people making decisions have been moved up to their level of incompetence.

if you check the answer from Comcast in the first post on the first page of this thread you will see that Comcast is under court order to comply and is appealing the 'decision' re: the patent. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Whoever is responsible for this, it is a stupid unfounded decision.  Setting a recording by an app is no different than a wireless keyboard used as an extension of a connected keyboard - the app is just a wireless extension to you being physically at your DVR.  Just a different medium delivery.  This again brings up the belief that people making decisions have been moved up to their level of incompetence.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5K Messages

6 years ago

That functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience.

Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

On the xtv site and app you can’t set recording any more. Please bring back.

Regular Contributor

• 

130 Messages

6 years ago

@CCShane wrote:

That functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience.

Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal.

Good luck with that appeal.  It can easily take years for an appeal to wend its way through the courts.  Your apology is meaningless as On Demand has very few current season shows - as in maybe 3 past episodes.  Or, in the case of CBS, maybe none.  A few stations have more, but beyiond that you have to pay to see shows you missed because you were unable to set recordings while you were away from home.  So does that mean Xfinity will reimburse us for any current season shows we couldn't record and had to pay for to watch??  I assume the answer is "not in this lifetime." 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I was sure I had set recordings remotely a while ago but wasn't sure. I searched on my laptop and phone for the feature. It's so inconvenient when I'm away during the week and discover something is coming on I want to watch later. May not be available On On Demand.

Regular Visitor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Why can't I schedule or delete a recording from my smart phone?

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I am have the same problem I think.  I also set my recordings via the Xfinity TV guide online.  One morning about 2 months ago...POOF the RECORD button was gone.  I havent been able to use that method since,  Please consider putting it back.  By the way I've tried for the last two months to find someone who would talk to me.  Unable to do...except from the foreign people who I can't understand...and are rarely of only help.

@Rustyben wrote:

@bheathfl wrote:

When I was not at home I used to be able to use the TV Remote app to record a program in my absence.  The new version of the app no longer has a Record function only a Watch function. Any advice on how to Record remotely?

did you log out and log back in to the app yet?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

How do I schedule a recording from a remote location.  I use to be able to do this before the x1 platform.  In fact I could set a recording from my phone if I was running late and didn't want to miss the beginning of a game.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I was sold a two year contract with XFINITY under the guise I would be able to use the XFNITY Streaming Portal to view and record programming.  Three days ago suddenly my watch and record buttons disappeared without warning or explanation.  After two calls to technical support I have learned there is some sort of legal issue with TIVO and this functionality has been intentionally removed from customers use.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@Customer70 wrote:

I was sold a two year contract with XFINITY under the guise I would be able to use the XFNITY Streaming Portal to view and record programming.  Three days ago suddenly my watch and record buttons disappeared without warning or explanation.  After two calls to technical support I have learned there is some sort of legal issue with TIVO and this functionality has been intentionally removed from customers use.

hi, I moved your post to the mega-thread on this topic. see page one, the first post which has Comcast's best answer about this issue.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

This is unacceptable.  One of your key features, to set recordings when away from home, has been pulled.  I do not care about your recent flurry of promos for increased hot-spots or miniscule internet speed increases.  This is just a smoke screen to cover for your removing what used to be one of the main reasons to pay for comcast.  Customers should be COMPENSATED (pronounced "refunded") for this reduction in service and capability.  Personally I believe $20-40/month discount would be reasonable.

Anyone else?  Any other ideas?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here