Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

Monday, March 16th, 2020 10:00 AM

Closed

Comprehensive COVID-19 Response to Help Keep Americans Connected

***UPDATED 04/28/2020 - Updates to initiatives***

***UPDATED 03/26/2020 - Added additional FAQs***

COVID-19 has had a tremendous impact on nearly every aspect of our daily lives. Across Comcast, NBCUniversal, and Sky, we are working hard to do everything we can to support our customers, employees, and communities during this unprecedented time.

Initiatives

• Working to Ensure 24x7 Network Health: Our engineers and technicians micro-monitor our network reliability and performance constantly, running 700k+ diagnostic speed tests most days. Since March 1, we have seen a 32% increase in upstream traffic and 18% increase in downstream traffic, still within the overall capacity of our network. Our network continues to deliver to support the capacity our customers need while they are working, learning, and connecting from home.
  • Internet Essentials Free to New Customers: Through June 30, eligible new customers can sign up to receive 60 days of complimentary Internet Essentials service, which is the nation’s largest, most comprehensive internet adoption program for low-income households. We work in partnership with tens of thousands of school districts, libraries, municipalities, and nonprofit community partners to help bridge the digital divide and support digital literacy. We recently expanded Internet Essentials eligibility to include all low-income families, including seniors, veterans, and people with disabilities.
  • Speed Boost for All Internet Essentials Customers: We’ve permanently increased speeds for all of our new and existing Internet Essentials customers across the country.
  • Support For University Students: Xfinity is now offering eligible university students who live in our service areas and need internet service a Visa prepaid card worth about two months of internet service. No upfront fees, no installation costs.
  • Free Xfinity WiFi For Everyone: Through June 30, Xfinity WiFi hotspots located in businesses and outdoor locations across the country are available to anyone who needs them for free – including non-Xfinity internet subscribers.
  • Unlimited Data: While the vast majority of Xfinity customers do not come close to using 1TB of data in a month, Comcast is pausing its data plans through June 30 giving all customers unlimited data for no additional charge.
  • No Disconnects or Late Fees for Xfinity Internet, Mobile, or Voice Customers: We will not disconnect a customer’s Xfinity Internet, Xfinity Mobile, or Xfinity Voice service, and we will waive late fees if they contact us and let us know that they can’t pay their bills through June 30. Sky has also committed to working with customers who might find it difficult to pay their bills and ensure they are supported appropriately. Comcast Business customers can find more information here.
  • Free Calls for Sky Talk Customers: Calls to UK landlines at any time of day will be free for existing Sky Talk customers until the end of April.
  • Sky Mobile Data Boost: All Sky Mobile customers will receive a 10GB data boost free of charge. Sky Mobile customers can also make calls to the NHS helpline and hospital phone numbers for free.
  • Virtual Tools for Businesses: Comcast Business is supporting customers as they begin to run their businesses from home, providing free trials of apps and services including virtual project management, business text messaging, and collaboration tools that will help them stay productive and secure.
  • Cybersecurity Protection: With the influx in COVID-19-related cybersecurity schemes, our team of security experts continue to work 24/7 to monitor our network using a mix of highly sophisticated technologies, threat intelligence, and proprietary AI-powered software, which helps us to detect and block hundreds of thousands of cyber events every second.
  • Increasing Access to News & Information: Our NBC and Sky news teams are working around the clock to keep the world informed and we’re bringing that news and information to more people than ever.
  • Providing Free Educational Resources: In partnership with Common Sense Media, we’ve curated thousands of hours of free educational programming into an education destination for Xfinity video customers to support remote learning for
    kids K-12.
  • Delivering More Entertainment: We are bringing great entertainment home to consumers in new ways – offering movies on demand on the same day as their theatrical releases and making more free content available to X1 video customers. Simply say "Free" into your Xfinity Voice Remote.
  • Supporting Our People: We have committed $500 million to support our employees where operations have been closed or impacted, made work from home options as broadly available as possible, and enhanced safety measures for customer-facing employees.

For an current overview of everything we are doing for our Xfinity customers, click here.

Our hearts go out to all people and families impacted by this virus. Please let us know if you have any questions related to these efforts here. 

Open Hotspots Frequently Asked Questions

What hotspots are included?
Xfinity WiFi hotspots located both indoors and outdoors in places like shopping districts, parks, businesses, and train stations will be opened. Please note that hotspots located in customers’ homes will not be opened to the public.

If users do not see the Accept & Connect button and are instead asked to sign in using their Xfinity ID and/or password, they may be attempting to access an Xfinity WiFi Home hotspot. Exact hotspot locations can be found at xfinity.com/wifi/#find-a-hotspot or using the Xfinity WiFi app.

Does the free access apply to both customers and non-customers?
Yes, anyone in proximity to an Xfinity WiFi hotspot can access them.

How does someone connect to the Xfinity WiFi hotspot?

1. Visit xfinity.com/wifi to see a map of Xfinity WiFi hotspots. Open hotspots, both indoor and outdoor, will be displayed on the map in a light green color.
  2. Once at a hotspot, customers and non-customers should select xfinitywifi from the list of available WiFi networks, and then launch a browser.
  3. Xfinity Internet customers can sign in using their Xfinity ID and password to be automatically connected to Xfinity WiFi hotspots in the future.
  4. Non-Xfinity Internet customers can connect by clicking the Accept & Connect button. Non-Xfinity customers will be able to renew their complimentary sessions every two hours.

Additional Frequently Asked Questions

How can I reach Xfinity for help with my services?

Xfinity help is always available on your smartphone, in X1, and online. For certain issues, you can even file a report online.

To protect the health and safety of our customers and employees, we have temporarily reduced the services available in stores to essential services and are limiting the in-home services provided by our technicians. We are also transitioning many of our call center representatives to work from home.

For now, we recommend managing your services, paying your bill, troubleshooting, or receiving support by using:

• Xfinity My Account app: for support, including to pay your bill, change your WiFi name and password, check for service outages, explore your TV channel lineup or troubleshoot your Xfinity equipment.
  • Xfinity Assistant: available for chat in the My Account app, Facebook Messenger (through the Xfinity Facebook page) and the xFi app, to answer a range of questions, such as how to troubleshoot.
  • Xfinity Mobile app: manage your Xfinity Mobile account, view your data usage, switch your data to Unlimited or By the Gig shared data, view and pay your bill, track your order.
  • X1 Voice Remote: say "Help" into your X1 Voice Remote for help and support, including troubleshooting.
  • Xfinity xFi app: manage all of the devices on your network, get alerts when new devices connect, run health checks for your internet service.
  • Xfinity Stream app: watch top networks and live sports on the go and get your entire channel lineup on any screen at home.

How can I find out if there's an outage or service interruption happening near me?

There can be a number of reasons why we might experience a network event, including weather and local construction. We have teams who work around the clock locally and nationally to monitor our network and address any issues, many times before they impact our customers. To check for local outages, visit the Outage Status Center. To see the status of your home network and services, sign into My Account. And you can report an issue online if you are concerned about wires in your area.

How can Xfinity help low-income Americans with affordable Internet service?

We've been looking for ways to help through our Internet Essentials program, the nation's largest and most comprehensive broadband adoption program for low-income Americans. Effective March 16, we are putting in place two substantial program enhancements to help these families deal with this crisis.

1. We will make it even easier for low-income families who live in a Comcast service area to sign up by offering new customers 60 days of complimentary Internet Essentials service, which is normally available to all qualified low-income households for $9.95/month.
  2. We are increasing Internet speeds for the Internet Essentials service from 15/2 Mbps to 25/3 Mbps for all new and existing customers, which will be the speed of the service going forward. In this way, we will ensure that Internet Essentials customers will be able to use their Internet service for all their increased needs as a result of this health crisis.

We want to make it as fast and simple as possible to access this service:

• To receive the increased Internet speeds, existing customers will not need to do anything.
  • For new customers, applicants can simply visit www.internetessentials.com. The accessible website also includes the option to video chat with customer service agents in American Sign Language. There are also two dedicated phone numbers 1-855-846-8376 for English and 1-855-765-6995 for Spanish.

Source:

https://corporate.comcast.com/covid-19

Additional Information:

https://www.xfinity.com/prepare

https://www.internetessentials.com/covid19

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/On-Demand/Comcast-NBCUniversal-Moves-To-Make-Current-Movies-Available/td-p/3314092

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Internet/ANSWERED-How-to-Use-a-VPN-with-Your-Xfinity-Internet-Service/ta-p/3314082

https://corporate.comcast.com/press/releases/comcast-nbcuniversal-moves-to-make-current-movies-available-in-the-home

https://corporate.comcast.com/stories/sky-to-make-new-cinema-releases-available-the-same-day-in-the-home

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

4 years ago

I don't know who thought up this scam, if this is what it was, but I also received the same memo that we would get unlimited data caps and over my service, was told I would receive a $12 credit. But, lo and behold, no $12 credit appeared on my bill and I still have to pay the same amount, despite the email saying I would receive the credit.

If Comcast is going to give out credits, it would be nice if they would actually follow through with it.

The email said that since I already have unlimited data, that I would receive a $12 credit and yet, it appears nowhere on my bill just posted yesterday.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@tempe21 wrote:

I don't know who thought up this scam, if this is what it was, but I also received the same memo that we would get unlimited data caps and over my service, was told I would receive a $12 credit. But, lo and behold, no $12 credit appeared on my bill and I still have to pay the same amount, despite the email saying I would receive the credit.

If Comcast is going to give out credits, it would be nice if they would actually follow through with it.

The email said that since I already have unlimited data, that I would receive a $12 credit and yet, it appears nowhere on my bill just posted yesterday.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. I can assure you that this is not a scam. Your most recent bill (dated March 25) was already in process when the policy on this changed.

I applied a credit manually this morning for $20 along with reversing an earlier late charge (as a courtesy). You can see both of those credits reflected Saturday via the My Account app. Apologies again.  

Thanks for your patience and hang in there. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I was wondering what policies/programs are in place considering the effect of the COVID-19 virus. I read the website but didn't see anything about waiving late fees, halting service cancelations, or anything of that nature. All of my roommates and I work in the 'non-essential' service industry and have all been laid off our jobs. We are unfortunately unable to pay the utility costs while unemployed. What are our options for staying connected throughout this crisis?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Do you mean something like this?

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Hello,

I have been laid-off due to the Coronavirus and am trying to explore payment options with Xfinity. 

Although Comcast released this statement:

I cannot get ahold of a customer service rep or find a way to not be penalized or disconnected while I delay payment to wait for the government's relief check to pay my bill. 

Is anyone else having a similar experience? All I would like to do is get on the phone with somebody.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Sorry to hear about that. Please visit the site for more information: https://comca.st/3aiOxV7. There you will find a section dedicated to Billing and Payments. You will find the instructions to make a future dated payment arrangement. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@katelynking706 wrote:

I was wondering what policies/programs are in place considering the effect of the COVID-19 virus. I read the website but didn't see anything about waiving late fees, halting service cancelations, or anything of that nature. All of my roommates and I work in the 'non-essential' service industry and have all been laid off our jobs. We are unfortunately unable to pay the utility costs while unemployed. What are our options for staying connected throughout this crisis?

We understand that Xfinity Internet and Xfinity Voice services are critical for connectivity, so for a limited time we will not be suspending these services for any customer not able to pay their bill.

We know your Xfinity service is critical at this time and we want to make sure you remain connected. If you have been impacted by quarantines or closures and need more time to pay your bill for Xfinity TV, Internet, Home or home phone services:

• Select Billing, then Bill and Payment Settings
  • Click on Schedule a Payment
  • Then go to Payment Date and choose a new due date

If you need more help, you can chat with the Xfinity Assistant. Or, report an issue online if you believe your payment was misapplied (or is missing).

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Those directions do not allow you to choose a new due date online. That just lets you choose a new payment date and then it warns you that you are making a payment after the due date. You need updated instructions. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@ccalands wrote:

Hello,

I have been laid-off due to the Coronavirus and am trying to explore payment options with Xfinity. 

Although Comcast released this statement:

I cannot get ahold of a customer service rep or find a way to not be penalized or disconnected while I delay payment to wait for the government's relief check to pay my bill. 

Is anyone else having a similar experience? All I would like to do is get on the phone with somebody.

We understand that Xfinity Internet and Xfinity Voice services are critical for connectivity, so for a limited time we will not be suspending these services for any customer not able to pay their bill.

We know your Xfinity service is critical at this time and we want to make sure you remain connected. If you have been impacted by quarantines or closures and need more time to pay your bill for Xfinity TV, Internet, Home or home phone services:

If you need more help, you can chat with the Xfinity Assistant. Or, report an issue online if you believe your payment was misapplied (or is missing).

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I requested a call from comcast today (only way to contact them) and this is EXACTLY how the call went.
Me: Hi, are you doing any type of deferred payment for people who were laid off due to coronavirus?
Representative: No.
Me: So you arent doing anything to help people affected by coronavirus who have trouble paying thier bill?
Representative: No.
Me: okay thanks bye.

This was after 17 minutes with the automated system, then going online to request a call, wait 15 mins for the call, then getting a call and being put on hold for 3 minutes just to talk to this wonderful agent.
This doesnt seem like a "comprehensive" response to me.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@User48 Apologies for the experience that you described above. That's not the experience that we want for any of our customers. Our agent was not correct.

I have reviewed your account and have already reached out to the leadership of our agent that you spoke with so that we can have the call reviewed for feedback and improvement.

That being said,  our official and in place active response is listed at the link below and at the top of this thread. We have automatic processes in place to stop automatic disconnections due to nonpayment.    

https://www.xfinity.com/prepare

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Can someone please explain how the COVID-19 Plan is any help to those of us who pay our bill? If this plan is here to help, I am here to tell you is does not.  If your bill is due and they say because of this epidemic crisis you will not need to pay your bill until we have some insight on what is going to happen with people being furloughed or laid-off or in my son's case the business is closing for good; you will get a downgraded plan.  The line up on Xfinity Stream is as follow: 9 QVC channels; I guess we are going to buy when we're not being paid, 8 Hallmark channels, 3 JTV channels, Sky News never heard of it & Cheddar Business Channel.  Like are they serious????? None of your premium channels in your line-up & nothing for children to watch all day.  Mind you they automatically enroll you in this unless your bill is current with no past due balance and we have been without TV service for over 4 hours and only able to connect to Netflix of any other apps through your cell phone, laptop or chromebook.  This is horrible and not even your local channels.  How is this benefiting your customers.  This is HORRIBLE in the North Charleston, SC area and all they keep saying is the system can take up to 4 hours to reset.  This was poor planning and does not benefit their existing customers.  Take my advice and pay your bill with a $0 balance before your due date.  This is a hoax.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Miraculously before I posted in this forum, we were without cable TV since about 12:30PM except the TV attached to the modem which is the main box.  Internet was available and I believe phone service was available as well.  Well, I left my home with only one TV working around 2:30PM and upon our return and me being out and paying my Comcast bill of $277 which is wayyyyy toooo much monthly when we got home the one TV that was getting cable TV coming thru was now out and it stated that I needed to pay my bill or go on xfinity.com/myaccount to pay my bill.  Unbelievable AGAIN.  Well because my bill was paid a day late, I was automatically put into this transitional downgraded plan.  I then needed to pay my current balance in order to get my same service I was receiving.  I called Comcast 1 time, text chat and nothing was resolved until approximately 9:15PM.  This is rediculous; fellow comcast customers please pay your bill and don't believe that this is helping us.  The channel line-up miraculously added more channels after I posted in the forum....hmmm!!  These are trying times and this was a real trying day for me and my son wanting to play his game but it was being interrupted with trying to troubleshoot for a change that took place without notice to its customers.  Shame on this poor planning that is designed to help us....but not really help!!!

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I was charged 100 dollars for overage for march. I was under the assumption that data wasnt going to go over this month???? Am I wrong???

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Unfortunately, even though I switched to an unlimited plan with no data cap and with Xfinity waiving data caps, I was still charged for the wrong plan and also for additional data for the month of March. Due to auto payment setup, I have already been charged an extraordinary amount. I had to cancel my account end of the month but Xfinity charged me again for month of April. 😞 

Please, someone, help! I have been trying to get a hold of an agent for too long..

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here