Shafe88's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

Thursday, May 23rd, 2019 1:00 PM

Closed

The CW(WPIX) being removed from my channel lineup?

Was informed today via my cable bill that The CW(WPIX) is being removed from my channel lineup, anything I can do to continue to recieve The CW? I have many shows on The CW that I watch and don't want to miss them.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

5 years ago

@Baseball76 wrote:
I’m in the south jersey area near the shore 08042. What about the Yankees, Mets and the NY 10:00 News ?

Apologies, some answers above on the baseball.

All of Gloucester County, NJ is considered part of the Philadelphia television market (DMA). 

The New York city based TV stations (including WPIX) are considered "out-of- market" in your area by the FCC and Nielsen Media Research who determine the in-market and out-of-market TV stations for the United States.

The primary CW affiliate assigned to your area is WPSG-TV from Philadelphia.  If there is duplicate programming from out-of-market WPIX-TV, then WPSG has the right to request that that duplicate programming be blacked out or the station removed in your area. 

By law, Comcast must honor the request from the in-market station.

The terms "DMA", "out of market", "significantly viewed" and "network non-duplication" all have extensive definitions and examples, some links below that will make for some good reading:

DMA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_market_area

Out of market and Significantly Viewed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significantly_viewed_out_of_market_TV_stations_in_the_United_States

Network non-duplication http://law.justia.com/cfr/title47/47-4.0.1.1.4.6.3.1.html

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

5 years ago

WPIX is involved in an issue with the Tribune sale to Nexstar. Something about it being sold to Scripps after Nexstar buys Tribune Media. Maybe they will be dropping their CW affiliation, or something to do with retransmission rights with the new owners.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WPIX

Here in the Chicago area, The CW will be moving from Fox-owned WPWR to WCIU this fall.

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

I'm not from the Chicago area, I'm from Central PA, so no clue what will happen to the CW in my area.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.3K Messages

5 years ago

Hi, Shafe88! Thank you for posting in our community! Was the CW channel completely removed in your area or just from your channel lineup? Does it say that it was moved to a higher package? 

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

I don't know if The CW is being removed from my channel lineup, all's I know is WPIX will no longer be carried in my service area after June, WPIX is the local affiliate that carries The CW in my area. One costumer service person I talked too said I will no longer get The CW after WPIX is gone from my area while another person I talked too said I'll still get The CW, it'll just be from a different affiliate.

Problem Solver

• 

722 Messages

5 years ago

Question: what is your ZIP code? I see on the CW site that, for example, Allentown is "in range" of two CW stations - WPIX 11 New York, and WPSG 57 Philadelphia. Wikipedia lists five CW stations in Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Erie, Harrisburg, and Scranton), although Erie and Harrisburg appear to be subchannels to CBS affiliates. (Be glad you don't have AT&T U-Verse; there was a time - and it may still be the case - where U-Verse refused to air CW stations that were on subchannels; the only subchannels it would carry would be for the "big four" networks.) Of course, this assumes Comcast has its act together and, when WPIX is removed, it realizes you won't have a CW station and it will add another CW station is added in its place.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

5 years ago

@Shafe88 wrote:

Was informed today via my cable bill that The CW(WPIX) is being removed from my channel lineup, anything I can do to continue to recieve The CW? I have many shows on The CW that I watch and don't want to miss them.

For the Johnstown-Altoona-State College television market in PA: On or shortly after June 26th, WPIX (CW) will no longer be available. 

There currently is no broadcast TV station in your area that has affiliated with the CW Network.   

The closest CW station to you is WHP-DT2  from Harrisburg,  PA (over 87 miles away) but that station is assigned to the Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York TV market.

WPCW-TV from Jeanette, PA (over 120 miles away) is also a CW station, but assigned to the Pittsburgh television market.   https://cwpittsburgh.cbslocal.com/

Comcast does not currently have permission to import WPCW or WHP as  distant signals in this area. 

One option may be to view CW programs online at their website: https://www.cwtv.com/shows/more-video/view-in-app/

Problem Solver

• 

308 Messages

5 years ago

Ted, I have a little background information here that might be helpful to explain this situation.

WPCW for many years was licensed as a station to Johnstown, and served as a CBS station for that market. At one point, Altoona/State College was a television market, and Johnstown was a separate television market. This was the case until the early 1980's when they were merged and it was decided WTAJ would serve the entire unified market. At that time, no ABC station existed and Johnstown got WTAE from Pittsburgh, Altoona got WHTM from Harrisburg, and State College got WNEP from Scranton.

One of the agreements with the FCC was that in order to move the station to the Pittsburgh DMA, they still had to provide antenna range to the Altoona/Johnstown/State College market. The western areas of this market that Comcast serves carries WPCW from Pittsburgh as the de facto CW affiliate (as well as WPNT as a de facto MyTV affiliate, even though WHVL exists in State College). The eastern areas (State College, Philipsburg, Huntingdon systems) carried WPIX from New York. This is what is being removed, which is really a holdover from the old superstation days.

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

OK, it's June 26th and The CW is still on the air, not as WPIX but as WPCW.  With the switch to WPCW, The CW is finally avliable in HD.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

However, what about some Yankees and Mets games on WPIX which were broadcast on the New York affiliate of CW in areas such as South Jersey? It seems the games are now out of reach. I go back to the Phillies on 7 (17) l, Yankees on 11 (11Alive) and Mets on WOR 9.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I’m in the south jersey area near the shore 08042. What about the Yankees, Mets and the NY 10:00 News ?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

5 years ago

@Baseball76 wrote:
However, what about some Yankees and Mets games on WPIX which were broadcast on the New York affiliate of CW in areas such as South Jersey? It seems the games are now out of reach. I go back to the Phillies on 7 (17) l, Yankees on 11 (11Alive) and Mets on WOR 9.

Unfortunately, the remaining nine NY Yankees games and 13 NY Mets games scheduled on WPIX won't be available from WPIX in your area from Comcast.

Some or all of these games may be available via MLB Network, available in your area on channel 738 and in HD on channel 1219. 

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/schedule/2019-07

All New York Mets games broadcast on WPIX will be streamed on PIX11.com and in the PIX11 app.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Subscribe to MLB.TV ... you get all the games except for those out of Philadelphia as they are blacked out.  For these put on the Comcast PHILLIES feed, mute the sound, and play the radio feed out of New York on your phone or tablet on the MLB.TV app; radio is not blacked out. You have to fiddle with the Comcast TV remote control to get the two in synch. In the end, it's worth the effort.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

• hello I recently lost wpix 11 from my channel line up. I am asking that this channel be restored it provides n y yankees games good programming and accurate news

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

5 years ago

@lsgt026 wrote:
  • hello I recently lost wpix 11 from my channel line up. I am asking that this channel be restored it provides n y yankees games good programming and accurate news

Apologies. Some answers above and below. 

Unfortunately, the remaining nine NY Yankees games and 13 NY Mets games scheduled on WPIX won't be available from WPIX in your area from Comcast. 

Some or all of these games may be available via MLB Network, available in your area on channel 738 and in HD on channel 1219. 

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/schedule/2019-07

All New York Mets games broadcast on WPIX will be streamed on PIX11.com and in the PIX11 app.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here