Community Forum

Missing local radio stations from channel lineup

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: elimination of digital FM radio from Comcast package

Will give Tunein a try, but doesn't really solve my problem.  I want to listen to the radio in my living room, not my office.  Unless I buy a laptop for every room, I am doomed.  The only fair solution is to bring back the digital FM on Comcast -- or any cable carrier that could offer it.  Appreciate all the citizens who are out there fighting for what is right.  

Highlighted
Contributor

Wow.  Am thoroughly impressed with TuneIn and will now seriously consider getting a laptop for the living room and cutting that Comcast cord.  Not as convenient as turning on the telly and punching in 960 for KQED, but all the local stations I need are reachable through TuneIn.  Thanks for the tip! 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

The loss of the FM stations is sad and frustrating.

It wouldn't be like having the stations in the channel lineup, but it would help if Comcast could pick up Tunein as an app. That would definitely be a "value added" feature! Tunein is indeed a great service for those of us that still appreciate what the radio (esp FM) has to offer.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Missing local radio stations from channel lineup

Hello,

I wrote a letter to Comcast corporate offices about their decision to remove the FM radio stations from the channel line-up and I specifically requested to be contacted.

I was called and ultimately spoke to someone about this very annoying situation.

I also rcvd an email from that office. 

She was told by the technical unit that the decision was made to free up band-width to allow them to load more content.

She also told me that they do log complaints that come to them online, in writing or on the phone.

If you are not up to writing a letter, please call <Edited> to voice your unhapiness.

It is possible that if enough people complain about this issue that they will reconsider at year's end about the possibiity of offering the FM radio stations agin.

JJ

Highlighted
Contributor

That's a different reason than the one we have been getting; i.e., the FM system broke and they don't have the capability to fix it.  The response you note is undoubtedly more truthful (as if we need any more stations to waste bandwidth).  Thanks for your comment -- would be curious if anyone else on this forum has received this same response from corporate.  

Highlighted
Problem Solver

@Tiajo wrote:

Will give Tunein a try, but doesn't really solve my problem.  I want to listen to the radio in my living room, not my office.  Unless I buy a laptop for every room, I am doomed.  The only fair solution is to bring back the digital FM on Comcast -- or any cable carrier that could offer it.  Appreciate all the citizens who are out there fighting for what is right.  

There are also TuneIn apps for Android and Apple and many other devices. See TuneIn Devices. You have more options than your laptop. I also have the TuneIn app on my Samsung S7 phone.

You can use TuneIn for free as long as you want but they will still try to get you to sign up for TuneIn Premium for $9.99/month.  Don't select the 30-day trial or they will automatically charge you if you don't cancel before the trial is up.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Another tip for you. NPR has jumped the shark IMO and are almost as bad as cnn anymore. Brought to you by the MIC. Tune into KRCB and get some of the same npr shows but much more music of many varieties.  It's the norht bay area npr

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I complained on the chat line and phone for days and no one there even knew it happened till I told them about 5 times each. They never get back to me and I'm leaving

Highlighted
Contributor

This is a great article from the Point Reyes Light.  Recommended reading:

https://www.ptreyeslight.com/article/reliable-obsolete-radio-streaming-cut

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Am my ears playing tricks on me? I listened to KQED, San Francisco's NPR affiliate, on my TV last night and today, too. Looking forward to listening again tonight. Please be there for me, and please don't take it away again.

Highlighted
Contributor

Wow!  I'm going to turn on my telly right now and check it out.  This would be fantastic.  I miss KQED so much (I can get in my car but ... had decided not to donate, because I could no longer access through the television, my preferred modus operandi!  Update:  just checked and something is going on as they are listing 4 channels which "should be available shortly" - not 960 but also not their awful Music Choice channels.  Am leaving it up and running and keeping my fingers crossed!  Thanks for the notice!  

Highlighted
Contributor

I just looked and do not see KQED or the other local radio stations still.  What channel did you find it on?  Not on my lineup so far.

Highlighted
Contributor

@SFSailLady2 wrote:

I just looked and do not see KQED or the other local radio stations still.  What channel did you find it on?  Not on my lineup so far.

There are 4 stations showing that say "coming soon" but no content listed.  I plugged in 960 and it took me to Channel 944 and there are 3 more no-contents station listed.  Nothing yet.  I went into "My account" and found Channel lineup which had the same info.  Still turned on but nothing yet.  Will try again tomorrow.  Something is up, that's for sure.  

Highlighted
Contributor

@raemiller1933 wrote:

Am my ears playing tricks on me? I listened to KQED, San Francisco's NPR affiliate, on my TV last night and today, too. Looking forward to listening again tonight. Please be there for me, and please don't take it away again.

What channel are you using?  Nothing yet in Marin.  LMK.  Thanks! 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm getting KQED-FM on channel 960.

Highlighted
Contributor

I am not.  Nothing from about 954 to 994 - all those channels are missing.  What package do you have and where do you live?  Thanks.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I live at Rossmoor. I don't know what package we have. It was negotiated with Comcast, and we are charged through our monthly assessment. Many of us objected when the FM channels were removed. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Thank you.  I am in San Francisco with the all digital premium access plus HBO etc. so I think maybe I need to complain and hope some of my fellow SF'ers will.  In the meantime I carry around my bluetooth speaker and stream  it but not as convenient as from the TV's which I have up and downstairs.

@raemiller1933 wrote:

I live at Rossmoor. I don't know what package we have. It was negotiated with Comcast, and we are charged through our monthly assessment. Many of us objected when the FM channels were removed. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I hope you can make your SF voices heard. This is one of many things unacceptable these days. Keep the protests coming!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I get similar in Castro Valley  - still no FM channels, but -

950 is the last of the music channels, 955 is music on demand,then nothing till 994-997mall say "Local Insert Channel" but give an error message.

Maybe Rosmoor is getting special treatment because they are a major contract?

Highlighted
Contributor

@danlmck wrote:

I get similar in Castro Valley  - still no FM channels, but -

950 is the last of the music channels, 955 is music on demand,then nothing till 994-997mall say "Local Insert Channel" but give an error message.

Maybe Rosmoor is getting special treatment because they are a major contract?

Those are the same 4 channels I am now getting with the same message and error code..  Not limited to Rossmorr.  Am in Marin

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

The Rosmoor comment was in reference to raemiller1933's post that he was receiving KQED there.

Highlighted
Contributor

@ComcastJessie wrote:

All,

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. We removed FM Radio from our line-up, because we no longer have the capability to carry it. We notified you about this change in bill starting on Nov. 15. You can find similar entertainment on X1 TV Apps like Pandora, iHeart, Xite, and NPR one.

When doing a quick search on the iHeart Radio app on Xfinity X1 set top boxes I was able to find a good amount of KQED content (see image below). For additional information on how to use the iHeart Radio app on Xfinity X1 set top boxes, see here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV/ANSWERED-How-to-get-iHeartRadio-on-Xfinity-X1/ta-p/3086212

**NOTE**: You do not need to download anything or log into the iHeart Radio app to use this service directly on your Xfinity X1 set top box.

KQED Programming on iHeart Radio AppKQED Programming on iHeart Radio App

Frequently Asked Questions

Why did this happen?

Comcast regularly examines programs and channels in an effort to provide the best overall entertainment choices and content customers want the most. 

I signed an agreement for my service. It's not fair to remove a channel that was included in the promotion.

We know that it is upsetting to lose a channel that you like. Our promotional offers provide discounted pricing off of our services. However, we may rearrange or change programming, features or offerings that are a part of our services, even those that we provide under a promotional offer. We regularly evaluate our XFINITY TV to ensure it includes the best combination of programming options to appeal to our customers.

Again, we sincerely appologize for the inconveince this has caused. We can completely understand your frustration. Please remember when utilizing these forums, you have hereby agreed to the rules, policies, and guidelines contained within our Forum Guidelines and our Forum Accpetable Use Policy as well as any other posted documents throughout the community. Any posts that violate said guidelines will be removed or edited. This includes posts containing personal information, inflammatory remarks, and/or solicitation of any kind. For more information about our Forum Guidelines and our Forum Acceptable Use Policy please see here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Guidelines/Xfinity-Forum-Guidelines/td-p/3115028 & here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Guidelines/Xfinity-Forum-Acceptable-Use-Policy/td-p/2618379

What are these new channels that have popped up?  994 through 997 although there is no content, there is a message on each that says "One moment please this channel should be available shortly." And then there is an error code.  Also says Local Insertion Channel.  Can find nothing on the Comcast website about this.  Also, one of the residents in Rossmoor (Walnut Creek) can now get KQED on Channel 960 again.  Can we get this back in Marin? What's the status on this?  So frustrating to lose our radio stations like this.  

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi, Tiajo. In order to answer your questions regarding any new channels that popped up and in order for me to view your local lineup, I will need to authenticate your account and pull up the information on this end. It's hard to say why one user is able to get channel 960 again and it's not something we will manually be able to get back for you. We understand the frustration and where you're coming from on the removal of the FM stations and we are sorry to say that we do not have plans to bring them back. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

Hi, Tiajo. In order to answer your questions regarding any new channels that popped up and in order for me to view your local lineup, I will need to authenticate your account and pull up the information on this end. We understand what you're coming from on the FM channels being removed and your feedback is appreciate. Let me know if you'd like to pull up your account to inform you about channel 994-997.

Yes, please.  What do you need from me for this to occur? 

Highlighted
Official Employee

Yes, I will provide clarification after pulling up your channel lineup. Please send me a private message with your name and we will go from there.

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMorgan" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Thanks!

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Although I am pleased that Comcast has restored KQED radio for Rossmoor, I am concerned that this is a short-term fix and no fix at all for others in Comcast’s Western region.

I have joined many who are protesting on Comcast’s online forum about the elimination of FM radio channels. Comcast’s explanation, both to the forum and Rossmoor News, is that technology for the service is outdated and unavailable.

A technology problem in California’s techno-wonderland? Come on, Comcast, you are missing a major marketing opportunity by ignoring subscribers who depend on TV for these stations in wide areas of poor radio reception. Many of them told the forum they would cancel their subscriptions to Comcast.

Comcast should summon its techie expertise or find some techies who can come up with what is needed to keep these FM stations on its channel lineup. If what I read on this forum is any indication, it is losing a chunk of patronage.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

It appears Rosmoor is a large enough customer for Comcast to dig up a solution for the "technology" issue, but I fear the rest of us represent too small a contingent of their large customer base to deserve the same consideration and effort.

Highlighted
Official Employee

We appreciate everyone's opinion and feedback in relation to the FM channels. For further information, please refer to the 'best answer' for this post.