Community Forum

Hitz replacing Cinemax? Really?

Regular Contributor

Hitz replacing Cinemax? Really?

You're replacing all of the Cinemax channels from packages with this on-demand Hitz garbage that has a "rotating list of more than 200 movie titles"?

 

And, of course, you're not lowering the price of our packages either.  How do you really see Hitz as an equal replacement of Cinemax?  We're losing six channels, all of Cinemax's original programming, and they currently have almost 300 movies on-demand.

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Hitz replacing Cinemax? Really?

My sentiments exactly.  Why is this happening?

New Poster

Re: Hitz replacing Cinemax? Really?

I did the math. Changing to Digital Preferred and paying for the 5 premiums separately will cost less than Digital Premiere plus Cinemax. Still paying $8/month more than just Digital Premiere as it was, but that's Xfinity for you. I'm sure they'll restructure the rates in a few month to close this loophole...

Frequent Visitor

Re: Hitz replacing Cinemax? Really?

Items I do not like about this change:

There is no pricing for "HITZ" on the most current rate card, so is it free or only 'bundled' with selected legacy premier plans that no longer show on the rate card?

Is the HITZ only an on-demand service? I'm supposed to trade 5 cinemax channels for none?

 

It definitly is not the equivalent of the Cinemax channels. The Comcast arguement that 'all of the content is available on demand or on HBO" is incorrect. When many of the extra channels were removed, the statement that the content was available in on demand was false. I looked for several items in the channel guide and they were not in the on-demand lineup. Cinemax series will not appear to HBO anytime soon. 

 

Comcast, better wake up. I can get Cinemax for $9.99 per month on Amazon Prime. I'm also going to price the other options as well, just to keep them honest..

 

 

New Poster

"EXCITING CHANGE!!" dropping Cinemax and it's additional channels

In my monthly bill I read the notice regarding Cinemax. I went to the entry covering in more detail of why my cable provider was dropping these channels. THEY are real excited about this change as they used the word over and over in their description of why the new channel Hitz is going to be so "exciting" for the "excitement" of its' subscribers.


However, I find this as another move by my cable provider  to cut their costs and give their subscribers less and less product. Cinemax does have original series and movies exclusive to them and show many older movies on their home channel as well as it's subchannels that have not been shown on HBO for several months or years before a duplicate showing appears on Cinemax. In fact there are 3 additional subchannels for Cinemax that my cable provider  doesn't even offer to its subscribers. All of the subchannels are offered in HD for which we get only the main channel in HD isn't that "exciting" to know. My cable praovider spends billions of dollars to purchase other companies and it make you wonder why can't there be more options available to the cable subscribers. The sports fee just went up to $8.00 a month and what if you don't want sports offering. Rationality  from my cable provider is that everyone MUST pay this fee due to the huge prices they must pay for sports offering. May be true, ESPN3 does have a ton of sports offerings, BUT, I have a feeling that the contract between my cable provider and ESPN covers all of the ESPN channels for a agreed to fee between them and this is true for any additional channel offering with another company and my cable provider. 

My cable provider does have features that are of value to its' subscribers. The vast OnDemand movie offerings and other offerings are excellent.

 

I realize that there are "stock answers" given to a person asking some of the question I have attempted to put forward here and you accept them with what little that you can do about it, complain!!

 

Thank you for listening to my long winded presentation. I have very strong feelings towards these type of decisions.

 

Have a nice day

 

J

 

 

New Poster

Re: "EXCITING CHANGE!!" dropping Cinemax and it's additional channels

Att bought cinemax not long ago, and their using there new ownership to gouge competitors to carry it. Comcast had the option to raise customer rates to offset the cost of att gouging or remove the channel and lower cost which both would have resulted in lost revenue due to a competitors interferance, so the alternative was to give customers this new service.
Frequent Visitor

Premium Package - Hitz to replace Cinemax

Why not ask customers first?  We already pay enough as it is so we should have a choice.  Take away Streampix - which is mostly junk - and the few good movies on there were seen by serious movie buffs ages ago.  The Movie Channel only has about 15 or 20 movies On-Demand at any one time and the same movies can usually be found on Showtime at the same time anyways.  Cinemax maybe in the shadow of HBO but it's content is far superior to Streampix and TMC.  And they still sometimes get content before HBO.  Let us see what's going to be on Hitz first and then let us decide if we want to trade and give up Cinemax.  Looks to me like Hitz is going to be nothing more than a regurgitation of Streampix with a few current B movies thrown in to pacify the masses hooked on Marvel movies.  But please don't tell me I'm going to like Hitz better until you reveal some of its content - and then let me decide that.

Frequent Visitor

Re: "EXCITING CHANGE!!" dropping Cinemax and it's additional channels

Totally agree.  However, I only watch the On-Demand content because, as you say, none of the sub-channels are offered in HD.  And everything on the main channel and sub-channels are On-Demand anyway and almost 100% HD.  The quality of movies on Cinemax (current and old) is generally far superior to what is on Streampix.  Hitz will likely be just a recycle of the Streampix B-movie catalogue with maybe a few (very few) good movies tossed in for good measure that could be rented for 4.99 from the Comcast library anyway.  The Movie Channel never gets new content and shows generally the same thing as what has already been on Showtime  - and their On-Demand content is only about 15-20 movies a month, if that.   I would rather give up Streampix and TMC and call it even rather than give up Cinemax before I know what's going to be in Hitz.  But then this is Comcast we're talking about.

Administrator

Re: Hitz replacing Cinemax? Really?

All,

 

From time to time, we make changes to our packages, with the goal of providing a better value to our customers. As part of this effort, we will be adding Hitz and removing Cinemax for Premier, Super and certain other TV packages effective July 17, 2019. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this change has caused. 

 

To help answer more of your questions, see the frequently asked questions below.

 

What is Hitz?
Hitz is a new on-demand movie service that includes more than 200 titles from a variety of top studios. This selection will rotate over time.

Where can I find Hitz?
The easiest way to find Hitz is by saying “Hitz” into your X1 voice remote. Hitz can also be found in the Networks section of the On Demand menu. You can also see current Hitz movies in the on-screen grid guide - frequently near other movie services.

Why are you doing this?
Most of the movies on Cinemax have also aired on HBO. By offering Hitz instead, we’ll be delivering customers a better variety of content. 

How can I watch Cinemax original content?
While Cinemax will no longer be included in the packages being adjusted, Cinemax will still be available to purchase on its own for $12 per month.

Should I pay a different price now that I am no longer receiving Cinemax?
While Cinemax is being removed from these packages, we believe the new lineup offers a better value. Most of the movies on Cinemax have also aired on HBO. By offering Hitz instead, we’ll be delivering a better variety of content. 

 

 

If you would like additional information about Hitz, see here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/hitz

 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Hitz replacing Cinemax? Really?

When I say "Hitz" on my voice remote right now, something called "Hits" comes up which is totally different.  What do we do when "Hitz" goes live in mid July?  Is Comcast going to address that - or do we need to get a lesson in proper pronunciation between "Hitz" and "Hits". 

Official Employee

Re: Premium Package - Hitz to replace Cinemax

Hi SM95350, thank you for your feedback regarding Hitz. We regularly examine our channel lineups and talk with a wide range of programmers to ensure that we are bringing the content that our customers want the most. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking time to reach out to us. 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Premium Package - Hitz to replace Cinemax

Did you even read my question?   Wasn't the answer I was looking for.  In fact, it doesn't even make sense.  The question was, "When I say 'Hitz' on my voice remote (per Comcast's own instructions), something else comes up called 'Hits'.  That's 'Hits' with an 's', not 'Hitz' with a 'z'.  This is a common problem anyway when searching for TV programs or movies with very similar sounding names.  Is someone - meaning some brilliant programmer on the Comcast staff - going to fix this problem before 'Hitz' is forced down upon us.  And please be specific with your answer.  And don't categorize me - with 'Hitz' - as being a customer who wants this content in the first place.  Ya'll didn't ask me.  And if you really meant what you said, you would leave the Premium package alone and let us keep Cinemax until we actually see what's in 'Hitz'.  But Comcast's  secrecy about 'Hitz' pretty much says it all anyway.

Valued Contributor

Re: Premium Package - Hitz to replace Cinemax


@SM95350 wrote:

Did you even read my question?   Wasn't the answer I was looking for.  In fact, it doesn't even make sense.  The question was, "When I say 'Hitz' on my voice remote (per Comcast's own instructions), something else comes up called 'Hits'.  That's 'Hits' with an 's', not 'Hitz' with a 'z'.  This is a common problem anyway when searching for TV programs or movies with very similar sounding names.  Is someone - meaning some brilliant programmer on the Comcast staff - going to fix this problem before 'Hitz' is forced down upon us.  And please be specific with your answer.  And don't categorize me - with 'Hitz' - as being a customer who wants this content in the first place.  Ya'll didn't ask me.  And if you really meant what you said, you would leave the Premium package alone and let us keep Cinemax until we actually see what's in 'Hitz'.  But Comcast's  secrecy about 'Hitz' pretty much says it all anyway.


The remote doesn't recognize  the word "Hitz" because the service launches on July 17, 2019

Valued Contributor

Re: Hitz replacing Cinemax? Really?


@ComcastJessie wrote:

All,

 

From time to time, we make changes to our packages, with the goal of providing a better value to our customers. As part of this effort, we will be adding Hitz and removing Cinemax for Premier, Super and certain other TV packages effective July 17, 2019. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this change has caused. 

 

To help answer more of your questions, see the frequently asked questions below.

 

What is Hitz?
Hitz is a new on-demand movie service that includes more than 200 titles from a variety of top studios. This selection will rotate over time.

Where can I find Hitz?
The easiest way to find Hitz is by saying “Hitz” into your X1 voice remote. Hitz can also be found in the Networks section of the On Demand menu. You can also see current Hitz movies in the on-screen grid guide - frequently near other movie services.

Why are you doing this?
Most of the movies on Cinemax have also aired on HBO. By offering Hitz instead, we’ll be delivering customers a better variety of content. 

How can I watch Cinemax original content?
While Cinemax will no longer be included in the packages being adjusted, Cinemax will still be available to purchase on its own for $12 per month.

Should I pay a different price now that I am no longer receiving Cinemax?
While Cinemax is being removed from these packages, we believe the new lineup offers a better value. Most of the movies on Cinemax have also aired on HBO. By offering Hitz instead, we’ll be delivering a better variety of content. 

 

 

If you would like additional information about Hitz, see here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/hitz

 


Jessie,

               The article you have referenced says Certain other TV packages. What are those packages? I don't think I qualify for hitz because I don't subscribe to Cinemax or HBO.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Premium Package - Hitz to replace Cinemax

I know that.  You didn't read what I said.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Premium Package - Hitz to replace Cinemax

On July 17, 2019 when I say "Hitz" into my voice remote,   what is going to come up?  "Hitz" or "Hits"?  How will the voice remote distinguish the diference?  I would expect "canned" answers from Comcast employees, but not from contributors.

New Poster

Re: Hitz replacing Cinemax? Really?

I am trying to figure out why Cinemax is already gone and Hitz will not be here until July 17th. Does that mean we all get a credit for the Gap in movie availability?
Regular Contributor

Re: Hitz replacing Cinemax? Really?

<Edited>

 

Comcast offers a products at various prices.  I wouldn't say they are better or worse than alternatives.  I pay Xfinity something like $205 per month primarily because of their internet product and it gets most of what my family wants on TV.

 

The problem is that even thought my family has an Xfinity account, Netflix and Amazon Prime - they are still using other accounts they borrow from their friends for things like Acorn TV and British Channel 4 and even more obtuse things I have never heard of.  And most if it can only be accessed at home and not remotely - and most of it will not let you miracast from ab iPhone to a TV.  It all really, really bad-word-you-cant-use-on-this-forum-that-begins-with-s.

 

I can't blame Comcast for dropping Cinemax.  Seriously - do they have a choice?

 

The situation is completely out of hand.

 

I remember when I was a teenager in Midland Texas and we had ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS and that was it.  And then we got a TV with UHF and got a couple of more over the air local channels.  It was all free and somehow life was simplier and better.  But, I don't think anyone wants to go back to that.

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Hitz replacing Cinemax? Really?

Totally agree with you.  Our Comcast bill is similar to yours - with the TV and internet - and we also have Netflix and Prime Video as well.  We were living large and happy with our "X1 Premier Double Play"  and just finally wanted to be left alone for awhile.  We live in - and I more or less grew up in - the Sacramento TV market.  Just 4 channels like you had - although if we turned our aerial antenna in the right direction we could get SF Bay Area stations too.  Cable TV came along and with it we could get HBO, The Movie Channel (when it was still a good channel) and Showtime.  With those three you could pretty much count on being able to see all the recent movies of the past year - delayed by about six months.  And then the VCR - it finally freed you up to leave the house and not have to miss your favorite TV program.  That's the point in time I would go back to - enough choices without being to complicated.  Although, today's HD is pretty good to have around to.   And Fox News.

Regular Contributor

Re: Hitz replacing Cinemax? Really?



@SM95350 wrote:

When I say "Hitz" on my voice remote right now, something called "Hits" comes up which is totally different.  What do we do when "Hitz" goes live in mid July?  Is Comcast going to address that - or do we need to get a lesson in proper pronunciation between "Hitz" and "Hits". 



That's hilarious

 

I tried "Hitz Channel" and "Hitz network"...  they didn't work.

 

I spelled "H - I -T - Z" and got some On-Demand gangster-rap-movie called "Hitz".

 

One problem is - I don't think Hitz is actually in Xfinity, yet.

 

The other problem is going to be, that there are scores of things with Hits and Hitz in the name - so, we are probably going to have to say "Hitz network"

 

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Hitz replacing Cinemax? Really?

Think of it in terms of realistate and Cinimax is prime realistate location. Cinimax has millions of subscribers. How long would it take for a new subscription service to get that many subscribers?

 

Solution. Replace an existing subscription channel (MAX) with new subcription channel(Hitz). Hitz instantly has millions of subscibers on day #1. 

 

Why Max and not Starz, or HBO, or SHO? Probably because Hitz is most like Max than others and most likely to retain the Max subscribers. If Hitz had replaced HBO, 50% of subscribers probably would have dropped Hitz along with massive subscriber revolt to bring back HBO. Also, there is likely an existing long term contracts in place with HBO, Starz, and SHO. I would guess the MAX contract expired or comcast simply paid off the contract early. 

 

Regular Contributor

Re: Hitz replacing Cinemax? Really?


@nrnoble wrote:

Think of it in terms of realistate and Cinimax is prime realistate location. Cinimax has millions of subscribers. How long would it take for a new subscription service to get that many subscribers?

 

Solution. Replace an existing subscription channel (MAX) with new subcription channel(Hitz). Hitz instantly has millions of subscibers on day #1. 

 

Why Max and not Starz, or HBO, or SHO? Probably because Hitz is most like Max than others and most likely to retain the Max subscribers. If Hitz had replaced HBO, 50% of subscribers probably would have dropped Hitz along with massive subscriber revolt to bring back HBO. Also, there is likely an existing long term contracts in place with HBO, Starz, and SHO. I would guess the MAX contract expired or Comcast simply paid off the contract early. 

 


Well, I think you are trying to take this like it is something in the existing cable-TV-package model that needs to be patched.

 

I just don't see it that way.  I see it as a systemic problem existing in the consumer entertainment industry.  Life for consumers is going to get more complex and more expensive and less satisfying - and, Comcast really can't fix it when you have situations like AT&T buying Cinemax.

 

A better Comcast strategy is their Flex streaming product which has a $5 per month base entry fee.  Unfortunately you have to also rent the $13 per month Comcast internet router.  So that makes the whole thing a moronic product.  Flex could be Comcast's long-term solution - but, not if it has a stupid Comcast internet router.  Comcast probably is thinking most people do not even know what an internet router is and they can sneek that technical issue past their customers - but, at $13 per month - that isn't going to happen.

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Hitz replacing Cinemax? Really?


@truerock2 wrote:

@nrnoble wrote:

Think of it in terms of realistate and Cinimax is prime realistate location. Cinimax has millions of subscribers. How long would it take for a new subscription service to get that many subscribers?

 

Solution. Replace an existing subscription channel (MAX) with new subcription channel(Hitz). Hitz instantly has millions of subscibers on day #1. 

 

Why Max and not Starz, or HBO, or SHO? Probably because Hitz is most like Max than others and most likely to retain the Max subscribers. If Hitz had replaced HBO, 50% of subscribers probably would have dropped Hitz along with massive subscriber revolt to bring back HBO. Also, there is likely an existing long term contracts in place with HBO, Starz, and SHO. I would guess the MAX contract expired or Comcast simply paid off the contract early. 

 


Well, I think you are trying to take this like it is something in the existing cable-TV-package model that needs to be patched.

 

I just don't see it that way.  I see it as a systemic problem existing in the consumer entertainment industry.  Life for consumers is going to get more complex and more expensive and less satisfying - and, Comcast really can't fix it when you have situations like AT&T buying Cinemax.

 

A better Comcast strategy is their Flex streaming product which has a $5 per month base entry fee.  Unfortunately you have to also rent the $13 per month Comcast internet router.  So that makes the whole thing a moronic product.  Flex could be Comcast's long-term solution - but, not if it has a stupid Comcast internet router.  Comcast probably is thinking most people do not even know what an internet router is and they can sneek that technical issue past their customers - but, at $13 per month - that isn't going to happen.

 


I am not suggesting its a good idea or that I even like it. Just explaining that by switching out Max For Hitz is quick way for them to get an instant subscriber base of several million. My personal choice is to keep Max, but I am not all that attached to it. Seems like Hitz is like Starz that plays a lot movies.

 

It does seem like VOD streaming is becoming more dominate. Nearly all that I watch is either streaming or play back from a DVR. Even when watching live sporting events its often on a 15-20 minute DVR delay so that I can FF past comercials and do my own instant replays. It very rare that I watching Live TV anymore.