Community Forum

HBOMax not compatible with older HBO bundle plans?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

HBOMax not compatible with older HBO bundle plans?

I have had HBO bundle since 2016. My monthly bill shows included HBOMax in the plan. I had access to HBOMax streaming until this morning. When I try to login to the HBOmax website or app (phone and tv) it says that my Xfinity subscription has expired. HBOMax will then ask me to link a subscription.  When I login with my Xfiinity account it brings me to a Xfinity.com page to add HBOMax to my plan. I even tried to add it to my account but it errors out and tells me I must call a 1-877 number for further assistance. 

I called tech support about the issue. The said it is due to the fact they no longer offer premium channels as a bundle and I need to redo my plan in order to access my content. All the plans are more expensive for less. 

Is anyone else having this problem with the service?  I wonder what the solution will be or will I no longer have access to the content I had last week.  Thank you for your time.

Foolish47_0-1598145119376.png

Foolish47_1-1598145224736.png

Highlighted
New Poster

HBO max not verifying account

Anyone have problems signing in to hbo max app with xfinity account? I keep getting error that parental control setting do not allow me to view network. I don’t have parental controls set, I subscribe to hbo and it looks like it is logging me in with acct but on final step this error kicks out. Very frustrating!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: HBO max not verifying account

Did anyone answer this I am having the same issue
Highlighted
New Poster

I have not had any responses:(
Highlighted
New Poster

I too had this same problem. You might try downloading a different web browser or updating your existing browser.
I was on a Mac using Firefox, which wouldn't let me sign in (I got the "unable to verify your account" message), so I decided to go to hbomax.com using Safari, the Mac's web browser.

This actually worked. Not only that, but I'm now able to simply hit hbomax.com within Firefox, and now I'm logged in while using Firefox.

Highlighted
New Poster

I will try this! Thanks for the suggestion!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: HBOMax not compatible with older HBO bundle plans?

@Foolish47 I have the exact same problem. I switched over to using HBO Max at the end of July and it worked up until yesterday. When I tried to relink my subscription and sign-in through xfinity it says I need to add it to my plan. I tried calling support about it and they were clueless on the issue since they said I had HBO in my plan and kept trying to have me doing something with a remote or cable box.

I am just going to call and adjust my plan to internet only not include basic cable and save $30 bucks a month.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I would watch out on those newer plans. They include less basic tv channels and they seperate hbo. For me it was gonna be $20 price increase to switch to a newer plan w/o hbo. I would then have to add hbo back to my account so $35 just to be where I was at yesterday. I'm frustrated.

Highlighted
New Poster

Thanks, I switched over to Internet only plan and will add HBO to my YouTube TV subscription which is the same price regardless if I get it from Xfinity or elsewhere. As part of my change I will have to replace the basic cable box I got back in 2016 that I never pulled out of the package.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

That sounds very similar to what I have going on. I'm will keep fighting the good fight.

Highlighted
New Poster

Can't Log In to HBO Max on Computer

I'm having trouble logging into HBO Max on my computer. It works fine on our TV using the Xfinity Flex box, but whenever we try to log in online, it takes us to our Xfinity account page which says we need to purchase Xfinity. We've confirmed with multiple agents that we are indeed paying for HBO Max, but our computers and phone apps don't recognize it. I also can't make changes to my account online because the Xfinity site tells me that I "need some extra help completing my order," so I can't try to make my computer recognize HBO Max that way.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I'm having the exact same issue.  It was working fine.  No one at Xfinity or HBO Max can tell me what's going on.  Under Billing Information on hbomax.com, it says:

Your HBO Max subscription through Xfinity has expired.

...and if I try to re-link the subscription, I get sent to this page (after signing in to Xfinity):

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/digital-cable-tv/premium-channels/hbo?lang=en&ui_style=dark

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Can't Log In to HBO Max on Computer

same, I am talking to an agent now and they dont seem to know what is happening.

Highlighted
New Poster

Having the same trouble. It started yesterday morning for me. I was on chat with Xfinity support yesterday for 45min and they could not figure it out.

Some folks on another post also are having the same issue and said they called in yesterday. One of the technicians seemed to attribute it to their legacy bundle plan on their account. 

I called in today and my tech support agent thought it might be the same thing, that I'm on an old bundle. We ended up changing my plan to one of their new ones, so I'm now saving $50/mo with no loss of services and no contract.... but my HBO Max still does not work on any of our devices even on the new plan. It always pulls up an Xfinity page saying I need to add HBO Max to my plan, but attempting to add it just results in an error telling me to call Comcast support. 

My tech support agent is baffled and is going to look into it and call me back. 

I'm guessing this isn't account specific at all and there is some kind of disconnect in the API handshake between HBO and Xfinity. I asked my chat agent if they have test accounts on their side that they can use to try to duplicate the issue, but she said they do not.

If this is is systemwide, it could take a while to get fixed since they haven't even recognized it as an outage yet. Hopefully, it's resolved soon. We hardly ever watch TV through the Xfinity box anymore, just the apps and AppleTV. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Same issue here, (my plan is about 4 years old.) I use HBO Max app on PS4.

I contacted Xfinity, they assured me I still had HBO on my plan and told me to contact HBO.

So,

I contacted HBO they told me my subscription was expired. I showed them proof otherwise, they said they would submit a ticket.

Highlighted
New Poster

Just got off the phone with Xfinity. They said I was subscribed to HBO Max and couldn’t figure out what was wrong. I’m supposed to get a call from the “advanced technical support team” tomorrow. I wish I could say I’m surprised, but Comcast is by far the worst Internet and Cable company I’ve ever dealt with. I would switch, but I’m stuck with them living in an apartment.
Highlighted
New Poster

Same issue here - have been dropped from three calls to Xfinity and the reps have no idea there's an issue.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I am having same problem... NO one knows a <Edited. thing!

I got that <Edited> "old plan" as well but DONT BELIEVE IT!

I had a VERY basic TV and Net plan bundle that included HBO MAX but the charge was not itemized. They claimed since the HBO MAX charge was not itemized I the HBO MAX did "see" me as a paying subscriber.

I played along and agreed to a 1 yr term to save $10 off my monthly bill, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY to have my HBO MAX unbundled and be itemized on my bill as an additional charge.  

HBO MAX STILL cannot verify I am a subscriber. It doesn't matter which portal I try and use to fix this.... Android App or Win Web Browser. 

NOTHING WORKS.

I will say via the android app  I am now getting a pop-up error message with a "service code" 

I've contacted HBOMAX and they have no idea how to fix this, but they have "escalated" my issue.

I am pretty bummed because starting Aug 26th the new doc on "Action Park" is ONLY available on HBOMAX and not any other streaming platform or standard HBO channel. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Same issue here. I was using the service fine just last week. Sat down to watch Lovecraft Country Episode 2 tonight and somehow it doesn't want to connect, telling me I need to subscribe. HBO Max is already part of my cable package. I try adding it to my plan after logging in on the HBO Max app, but it gives me an error. I have the subscription, but it doesn't want to link it to my HBOMax account.

Highlighted
New Poster

I’m having the same issue
Highlighted
New Poster

i have the same issue. wondering if i should wait to get it fixed or un-subscribe to save money

Highlighted
Administrator

@Foolish47 

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing with HBO Max. If you’re an Xfinity TV or Xfinity Flex customer who subscribes to HBO, you now have access to HBO's new comprehensive streaming service, HBO Max. HBO Max includes access to all of HBO's live channels and On Demand programming on TV, as well as access to the HBO Max website and app on supported devices, at no additional cost.

Note: The HBO Go app and website are no longer available as of July 31, 2020. 

Right now, if you’re the Xfinity primary user, you can use your Xfinity ID and password to sign into the HBO Max website and app on your Smart TV, tablet, and more. Starting in late August 2020, secondary Xfinity users will no longer be able to sign into HBO Max using their Xfinity ID and password. To watch HBO Max, the Xfinity primary user will need to use their primary Xfinity ID to create an HBO Max account and password within the HBO Max website or app, and then share this information with the secondary members of the household.

Later in 2020, you’ll also be able to watch the HBO Max app directly on Xfinity X1 and Xfinity Flex.

For additional information about setting up your profile with HBO Max, please see here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/create-hbo-max-account

Please let us know if you continue to experience issues. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Hey Jessie,

What we're all saying is that we did exactly those steps, including logging out and logging back in with our primary ID, and Comcast is still saying that our "trial" has expired inside the app. Do you have a fix for this?
Highlighted
New Poster

I've been dealing with this issue for the last few days as well, but actually reached a solution! It was difficult, probably took about 1.5 hours with 2 different agents, but we went down the list of solutions and the last one worked. 

Troubleshooting steps that did not work:

• Restarting my modem
  • Resetting my internet
  • "Refreshing" my service
  • Waiting for a service outage to be resolved
  • Logging out of HBO on all of my devices, and logging back in (via service provider)
    • This brought me to "Add to Plan" page
  • Logging in with my Xfinity username and password instead of an email and password on the HBO app*<<LIES

Troubleshooting step that did work:

1. Go to this link: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/create-hbo-max-account
  2. In a web browser (not the app) sign into HBO Max through Xfinity
  3. As per the instructions in the link, go to Account, then add a password**<<TRUTH
  4. Log into HBO Max again with the email address and password from that Account page

** This is the step that all the usual troubleshooting doesn't include - you need to create an HBO Max account linked to Xfinity, then attach a PASSWORD. That way, even if the Xfinity link isn't working, you can still log in through email and password.

* This step is what you may receive from every agent and their mom, to try logging into HBO Max with your Xfinity username and password. When you try this, you only have the option to Sign in through provider OR with email and password. And you can't use the email and password because you don't have a password.  They will literally have you put your Xfinity username in place of the email to see if it'll work. 

I'd like to thank the agent Jewt (sounds like Jet). We were both so excited when we got it to work.

Highlighted
Administrator

@Napp82 

We ask that you please verify that you currently subscribe to HBO via Xfinity My Account. If you are currently subscribed to HBO, have you followed the troubleshooting steps outlined by user @brenda800  or create a profile for HBO Max outlined in the article shared in my post?

Please let us know if you continue to experience issues after attempting full troubleshooting steps. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

I did that step when I first signed up for HBO through Xfinity, when I use my email and password to log in it wants me to subscribe, when I try subscribe through my provider it wants me to add the HBO plan but I already have it, out of curiosity I clicked on the add to plan link and it gives me an error and tells me to call customer service who has been NO help over the past THREE days.
Highlighted
Administrator

@Lalalusmom 

**UPDATED**

Can you please verify if you are currently subscribing to HBO services via Xfinity My Account or on your most recent Comcast bill?

If you are currently subscribed to the HBO package, can you please provide the exact details of your process when attempting to log into your HBO Max account including URLs, error messages, and browser/app version info? This data will help us identify the issue you are experiencing and how we can resolve it. Can you also provide an approximate date as to when the HBO Max app/website last worked using these steps?

If you do not see HBO services via Xfinity My Account or specifically listed on your most recent Comcast bill, you are likely not subscribed to HBO services. In order to use the HBO Max website/app you must currently subscribe to HBO. 

**Note**: You can subscribe to HBO services independently of Comcast (i.e. by purchasing directly from HBO or Amazon, etc), if you have done that and are currently experiencing issues logging in you will need to contact HBO directly.  

Regular Visitor

UPDATE: HBO unlinked my account and after a few attempts I'm now able to successfully use HBOMax again. I suggest everyone having issues to retry again, if it still doesn't work get in contact with HBO.

Highlighted
New Poster

I just tried, by logging in with my email and password. I clicked link my subscription and got something different, it wanted me to recreate an account, instead of sending me though the subscribe loop. It seems to be fixed. I hope everyone can log in now because I know a lot of people were having the same issue.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I'm experiencing the same issue.  I had been using HBO Max without any issues for the last two months, then three days ago it just stopped working.  Here's what I experience:

1) Try to log on to HBO Max through the "SIGN IN THROUGH TV OR MOBILE PROVIDER" button.

2) Select xfinity from the listed providers.

3) Log on to my xfinity account using the primary account xfinity user id and password.

4) Get sent to the xfinity website where it's telling me to add HBO Max to my account.  But I already do subscribe to HBO (verified my bill says HBO Max).

Even if I click the Add button on the xfinity website just to see what happens, it tries to pull up my account details and then errors out telling me there's an issue and I'll have to call xfinity.

Nothing I do allows me to access HBO Max like I could just a few days ago.

Highlighted
New Poster

Still wont work for me. It goes to my account, then tells me i can add to my plan which also leads to an error. Tech i spoke with claims its an error thats being worked on. That was yesterday. Spoke with more comcast reps, nobody knows the answer of how to fix this. Chatted with hbo, they say xfinity claims my hbo max is expired and to contact xfinity.  It feels like I am just going in a loop at this point with nothing resolved

Highlighted
New Poster

Likewise. After 2 failed attempts with Xfinity support, I spent the morning with HBO support. They escalated my issue up to be fixed on their side and now it works. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Same issue with my account.

Attempting to link to account sends me to Xfinity 'add to plan' message.

I can logon to HBOmax with my email and pw - from there when I check 'billing information' under my account sign-on it tells me that my HBOmax subscription through Xfinity has expired.

My profiles and recent/up next content loads on my HBOmax main page - so it knows me and my previous (working) account info. Seems to be a mismatch between Xfinity and HBOmax.

My account shows HBO as part of it - along with Streampix.

I'm trying the 'sign out of all devices' option and will try again in few hours. Until then - posting this as a potential fragment to the answer.

Highlighted
New Poster

I am having the same issue. HBO Max was working, now it is not. I previously set up the HBOMax/Xfinity link, however, do not think I set the HBOMax password.

When this issue started "subscription to xfinity expired", I logged off HBOMax/Xfinity and tried to log back in using the "sign in through tv or mobile" link. At this point HBO Max no longer allows me in. Through that link I am taken into my Xfinity account where it now asks me to add HBO Max to my account. I confirmed through various means (and convinced the CSRs) that HBOMax is already on my account, eventually they also conceded that I am correct...

1.5hrs in the CSR circle of heil(You used a bad word, he*l, in the body of your post. Please clean up the body before posting.) later... I am FINALLY  told that there is an outtage with reference code Si045070291. I was not given any info about the nature of this outtage, just that it exists and my account is affected. No anticipated time to resolve, however I will get an email when it is resolved.

Good Luck All!!

Highlighted
New Poster

Hello,

Same problem here. HBOMax was working on my TV until yesterday. I have verified that HBOMax is itemized on my account as a separate charge of $15. Both my phone and desktop allow me to choose a provider, but then directs me to the "add to plan" page. I am not able to sign into my HBOMax account at all.

Thanks
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Check out the “Best Answer” on the this thread
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/HBOMax-not-compatible-with-older-HBO-bundle-p...

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Yes, as of today, but the rep. didn't tell me that. So in order for us to get HBO MAX we have to purchase another plan?
Highlighted
New Poster

SAME. EXACT. PROBLEM. I am already paying WAY too much on my bill. Have subscribed to HBO since 2016 with Xfinity. HBO Max was working just fine until the last 48 hours (haven't tried to watch something since maybe Friday I'm realizing.) Just spent almost AN HOUR with a very clueless agent who I felt SUPER BAD FOR because she had no idea what to tell me to do, couldn't give me any info and didn't know that HBO subscribers through Xfinity are already subscribed to HBO Max (or that's what the advertising told us.) I am SO FRUSTRATED I've tried all the steps above and just want to watch I May Destroy You. I'm most of all frustrated that I had to GOOGLE AND FIND THIS FORUM while on the phone with her as the conclusion to our phone call. Xfinity - you need to do better. Do something. I foolishly pay too much already because I didn't want to disrupt my service but now I'm paying for something I DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO. 

Highlighted
New Poster

I'm having the same issue. I called in and first the agent said it was because I don't subscribe to HBOMax. I told her I subscribed to HBO. She said it wasn't the same thing and that I had to pay an extra $15/mo to get HBOMax. I directed her to the XFinity website that stated customers who subscribe to HBO get HBOMax for free. She put me on hold and came back and said I was right. Then she said it was because I didn't have a cable box. I told her I wasn't trying to watch on a television, and even if I were, I didn't need a cable box to stream. She argued. I hung up. I'm done with Xfinity. Calling back during business hours tomorrow to cancel. Literally ANY OTHER service is better. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Alas, this didn't work for me.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@CCAndrew wrote:
Check out the “Best Answer” on the this thread
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/HBOMax-not-compatible-with-older-HBO-bundle-p...

The "Best Answer" on that thread does not solve the issue.

Highlighted
New Poster

Please post with respect to outage resolution im in the same boat. Hbomax says my trial has expired, xfinity account says plain as day hbomax is included. If i try to reset everything and sign in through xfinity it never completes because it wants to add hbomax to the plan but errors out - probably because i have it already. And yes im in as the primary user. Anyone from xfinity want to weigh in here would be helpful before i got off the handle and start cancelling things im paying for and not getting, like eacalate my complaint to the appropriate consumer protection bureaus for services not received.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

STill not fixed. Please comcast help.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

For anyone that's interested, there's another thread on this issue on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/HBOMAX/comments/ifh5mm/hbo_max_subscription_through_xfinity_has_expired/

Highlighted
New Poster

I *just got a text from Xfinity that all is working for me now...

and it is. I am now able to sign into HBOMax, works fine. Not sure what they did behind the scenes, but hopefully they'll deploy a broad fix. It will SCK (You used a bad word, S*CK, in the body of your post. Please clean up the body before posting) if everyone must individually sit with (n) CSRs for (n) hours to get this resolved

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I just logged in to my hbomax account and it works! I did None of the above steps mentioned by community manager or the other person suggesting to reset my modem!  The issue was and is on the Xfinity side of our accounts. Be patient and hopefully they will come to a resolution that is not redoing your grandfathered premium bundled plan!

Thank you for everyone posting and sharing their experiences and keeping the faith!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

All these issues are tied to an internal issue of how comcast is accounting for HBO subscription as independent of their tv plan and did not account for those that had HBO included with their tv bundle. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Got a call from Xfinity this afternoon while I was at work.  When I got home and logged in to my HBO Max account, everything was back to normal and working.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@ComcastJessie Your answer is not the solution to the problem everyone is/was trying to figure out. Everyone here is well aware that HBOGo is no longer the appropriate site or service. It clearly states in the OP that I was using HBOMax prior to the outage. Your answer is an answer and yet far from the "Best Answer" to this since solved problem. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@CCAndrew The issue was caused by a "Comcast outage" on how they classify the bundled HBO subscription vs the newer way of having it as a separate premium subscription.  Most people here are not trying to access HBOGo content.