coles1's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

Monday, September 30th, 2019 11:00 AM

Closed

Unusually high data usage megathread

Jessie helpfully locked the thread pertaining to this for being "off topic" after merging all relevant threads into the irrelevant terabyte thread.

I thought we should still have a place to discuss this ongoing problem. I took 20 pages of documentation into a store today and was told all they could do was charge me 70 dollars to send out a tech. Out of desperation I conceded.

Any thoughts? Anyone had any resolution yet? Some folks on Twitter seem to have made slight headway and had their accounts credited but aren't sure how to help since they seem to think they just got lucky.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@Jar101038 wrote:

I have used the estimator tool for measuring data. I put in 1.5 of my actual hrs in each of the categories that I would use...  my total estimated use totals less than 600....  the billing for this data exceeded the allowed 1000..

(2) years ago I signed on to a sweetheart package that included phone,tv internet all for less than $150. Per month. During that period there was no talk about data caps.

after the contract was completed the package went up to 216.00 and I got a notice that my data exceeded the limit set by Xfinity. Being a senior on a fixed income I tried to adjust by canceling the tv and phone. Now I have the mystery data that will force me to look elsewhere for internet or pay  for the pirate that appears in my data usage. Any recommendations??

Apologies for the issues and the experience that you described above.

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a credit to your account while our team researches your account further.

The credit will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

The monthly data usage on your account in November anbd December is just over 1 TB.  If it helps, t track this down, there was a spike of usage around the middle of December (the 13th through the 17th).  

I've asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly. Thanks for your patience.

We offer tools to help you track and manage your usage so there are never any surprises about how much data you use:

• Data Usage Meter in My Account - Monitor how much data you have used with our Data Usage Meter.
  • Xfinity My Account App - You can also monitor how much data you have used in our mobile app. (Download the Xfinity My Account app.)
  • Notifications - We will send you an 'in-browser' notice and an email letting you know when you approach, reach and exceed a terabyte. You can also elect to receive notifications at additional thresholds as well as set up mobile text notifications. Usage notifications will not be sent to customers who enroll in the Unlimited Data Option.
  • Data Plan Website - Summary of plan features and additional tools and tips related to the data plans. To visit, go to dataplan.xfinity.com.

For all - the link below has some general information on how to avoid overage charges and tips to conserve data usage:
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-avoid-overage-charges

Providing some additional information, background and tips below from our team that does the data overage reviews.

Customer owned devices
- One example are devices like Ubiquiti uNiFi, which our team most commonly sees as an issue with data usage. The device has an internal metering system along with a periodic speed test built into it. The speed test can accrue massive amounts of data usage without reporting to its own internal metering system because it is part of its system functions, not a device using data even though it is using data. We report its usage because we monitor for all data traffic going to and from the modem/network, not per device connected to their network.

- The number and kinds of devices connected to your network matters. Suggestion is to log into your router to see and verify all the devices connected to your network" (very applicable with customer owned devices).

Metering System:
- Comcast does not have direct access into the metering system to the extent to be able to artificially input or output data usage results or information. Our metering system is regularly audited as well where information on it can be gathered from https://www.netforecast.com/.
It includes everything from the yearly audits to how the metering system works on a technical level. This is done third party outside of Comcast.

Comcast data metering accuracy reports at the link below:
https://www.netforecast.com/comcast-internet-usage-accuracy-reports/

- The metering system is delayed by up to 24 hours. "I watched my meter and it went up by 100GB in the last 3 hours and I just booted up my computer for 15 minutes!" is not accurate - the metering timeframe is not 1:1 - its delayed because it needs to validate data and remove any data that we do not count towards the metering system. This includes things like firmware updates we push out and any other possible data we may push to the network for normal operations.

Greatest opportunity with Windows 10 devices. Windows 10 has a built in data usage meter for its own data tracking per application/software used on the device for 30 days(Settings -> Network & Internet -> Data Usage tab).

- Similarly could be done for other devices, ex: “Go into Netflix settings and make sure that it pauses after not watching it for a while”, etc.

Overall:
There is no trend or consistency indicating an issue in metering, but rather these have all been unique issues per network requiring the subscriber to troubleshoot/review their network.

The common trend topic is “there is no way I can use this much data”. While the number amount of data a customer can see on the meter is more than what they know to be using, doesn’t mean it isn’t being used.

Common data users:
- Streaming devices left on even when TVs are turned off – continuously streaming and/or misconfigured settings on streaming devices
- Data backups (including cloud backups)
- Large file downloads for entertainment (video games, updates, locally downloaded movies/videos from online services, etc.) or business purposes (files of information/data for business needs, Data backups downloaded from or uploaded to, etc.)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@Paddymaellaro wrote:

Comcast, just issued me a warning for going over 1terabyee, and your meter is absolutely broken, i checked alltheindividuall data usages on ALL of my devices and did the math and put myself at 477 gigs of data, so why are you giving me a warning for1tbb of data used? i've seen all kinds of threads showing that your meter is faulty, so why are you punishing us for things that are YOUR faultcomcastt?

Apologies for the delay in responding.  I wasn't able to locate your account information using the  email address that you registered with in this forum.

I will reach out via PM (Private Message) or you can send me a PM  with some account information (that can be account number, name, address, or phone number on your account) and I can look into this further.  

Apologies for the issues and the experience that you described above and thanks for your patience. 

There is no trend or consistency indicating an issue in metering, but rather these have all been unique issues per network requiring the subscriber to troubleshoot/review their network.

The common trend topic is “there is no way I can use this much data”. While the number amount of data a customer can see on the meter is more than what they know to be using, doesn’t mean it isn’t being used.

We offer tools to help you track and manage your usage so there are never any surprises about how much data you use:

• Data Usage Meter in My Account - Monitor how much data you have used with our Data Usage Meter.
  • Xfinity My Account App - You can also monitor how much data you have used in our mobile app. (Download the Xfinity My Account app.)
  • Notifications - We will send you an 'in-browser' notice and an email letting you know when you approach, reach and exceed a terabyte. You can also elect to receive notifications at additional thresholds as well as set up mobile text notifications. Usage notifications will not be sent to customers who enroll in the Unlimited Data Option.
  • Data Plan Website - Summary of plan features and additional tools and tips related to the data plans. To visit, go to dataplanxfinityy.com.

For all - the link below has some general information on how to avoid overage charges and tips to conserve data usage:
httpss:/wwwwxfinityy.com/support/articles/data-usage-avoid-overage-charges

Providing some additional information, background and tips below from our team that does the data overage reviews.

Customer owned devices
- One example are devices likeUbiquitiiuNiFii, which our team most commonly sees as an issue with data usage. The device has an internal metering system along with a periodic speed test built into it. The speed test can accrue massive amounts of data usage without reporting to its own internal metering system because it is part of its system functions, not a device using data even though it is using data. We report its usage because we monitor for all data traffic going to and from the modem/network, not per device connected to their network.

- The number and kinds of devices connected to your network matters. Suggestion is to log into your router to see and verify all the devices connected to your network" (very applicable with customer owned devices).

Metering System:
- Comcast does not have direct access into the metering system to the extent to be able to artificially input or output data usage results or information. Our metering system is regularly audited as well where information on it can be gathered from https:/wwwwnetforecastt.com/.
It includes everything from the yearly audits to how the metering system works on a technical level. This is done third party outside of Comcast.

httpss:/wwwwnetforecastt.comcomcasttinternett-usage-accuracy-reports/

- The metering system is delayed by up to 24 hours. "I watched my meter and it went up by100GBB in the last 3 hours and I just booted up my computer for 15 minutes!" is not accurate - the meteringtimeframee is not 1:1 - its delayed because it needs to validate data and remove any data that we do not count towards the metering system. This includes things like firmware updates we push out and any other possible data we may push to the network for normal operations.

Greatest opportunity with Windows 10 devices. Windows 10 has a built in data usage meter for its own data tracking per application/software used on the device for 30 days(Settings -> Network & Internet -> Data Usage tab).

- Similarly could be done for other devices, ex: “Go intoNetflixx settings and make sure that it pauses after not watching it for a while”, etc.

Overall:

The common trend topic is “there is no way I can use this much data”. While the number amount of data a customer can see on the meter is more than what they know to be using,doesn’tt mean itisn’tt being used.

Common data users:
- Streaming devices left on even when TVs are turned off – continuously streaming and/ormisconfiguredd settings on streaming devices
- Large file downloads for entertainment (video games, updates, locally downloaded movies/videos fromonlinee services, etc.) or business purposes (files of information/data for business needs, Data backups downloaded from or uploaded to, etc.)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@greyskygirl wrote:
Add me to this list as well. Our household usage is normally between 700/800 GB/month ... and now the past two months, we’re supposedly over 1100. No new devices or users, and when I went to the store to ask, the days the rep said we had the highest usage were when we were away from home more than usual. (And our Google Wifi app has our usage tracked at its normal rate.) I don’t get it. Curious whether that software glitch that was supposedly fixed is still affecting customers ... like us.

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a credit to your account while our team researches your account further.

The credit will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

The monthly data usage on your account in November and December did exceed 1 TB.  There was a high usage on 11/16 at 120 gb. December high usage days were 12/7 (70 gb) and 12/8 (90 gb) if that helps you to track this down.

January usage to date is showing at only 8 gb.  Please note that the metering system is delayed by up to 24 hours. 

I've asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly. Thanks for your patience.

• Data Plan Website - Summary of plan features and additional tools and tips related to the data plans. To visit, go to dataplan.xfinity.com.

Customer owned devices
- One example are devices like Ubiquiti uNiFi, which our team most commonly sees as an issue with data usage. The device has an internal metering system along with a periodic speed test built into it. The speed test can accrue massive amounts of data usage without reporting to its own internal metering system because it is part of its system functions, not a device using data even though it is using data. We report its usage because we monitor for all data traffic going to and from the modem/network, not per device connected to their network.

Metering System:
- Comcast does not have direct access into the metering system to the extent to be able to artificially input or output data usage results or information. Our metering system is regularly audited as well where information on it can be gathered from https://www.netforecast.com/.

- The metering system is delayed by up to 24 hours. "I watched my meter and it went up by 100GB in the last 3 hours and I just booted up my computer for 15 minutes!" is not accurate - the metering timeframe is not 1:1 - its delayed because it needs to validate data and remove any data that we do not count towards the metering system. This includes things like firmware updates we push out and any other possible data we may push to the network for normal operations.

- Similarly could be done for other devices, ex: “Go into Netflix settings and make sure that it pauses after not watching it for a while”, etc.

Overall:

Common data users:
- Streaming devices left on even when TVs are turned off – continuously streaming and/or misconfigured settings on streaming devices
- Large file downloads for entertainment (video games, updates, locally downloaded movies/videos from online services, etc.) or business purposes (files of information/data for business needs, Data backups downloaded from or uploaded to, etc.)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@QuinnFamily wrote:

My family's data usage is usually about half the 1024 MB limit -- then suddenly this month (Dec 2019), it's (apparently) doubled for no reason we can discern. I had my alerts set up, so I got notifications at 90%, 100%, then that I've exceeded my "one free overage month" and the data usage doesn't seem to be slowing down. We're only at the 24th of the month!

12.12 - 921 GB

12.18 - 1024 GB
12.22 - 1130 GB

Look... we're not using that much data. Something's wrong. Maybe something's been hacked and someone is draining our data.

We've identified all the devices connected to our router (and the ones connected directly to the Xfinity modem). Our router didn't have tracking turned on before (it does now), but we've looked at the usage of the devices we can track, and the total we can account for from all devices is about 400GB/mo... right in line with what we normally use and nowhere near this 1130 GB and climbing fast. 

Just this morning, when everyone was dead asleep, the router says someone used 2GB of data--literally nothing was on. 

Xfinity-- 1) what's wrong with your tracking and 2) how do we stop the madness and 3) this is my formal request that you stop charging us for data we're not using and help us figure out what's happening.

internet usage.png

There are some spikes of data usage (above 100 GB/day) in December (the 6th through the 11th and again on the 25th) if that helps you to track this down. The metering system is delayed by up to 24 hours.

It's still early but January data to date is only 24 gb and more typical with your earlier patterns.  

Customer owned devices

Metering System:

Overall:

Common data users:

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@sf_o_matic wrote:

When I upgraded my service to the fastest possible internet offered I was told my usage caps would be reset to zero but that hasn't happened and I've been getting endless overage messages. How do I fix this?

Customer owned devices

Metering System:

Overall:

Common data users:

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@TRMNTR2000 wrote:

You can now add me to the list as well. I'm in the Minneapolis, MN area and got an email last week stating I have used 90% of my data. Not sure how this can be when I haven't changed anything and months prior haven't been over 500GB and averaging around 425GB. Now for some reason in Dec I'm pushing 1000GB? Talked with a Comcast rep and ZERO answers. Told them I had read about their metering being goofy. Rep didn't have a response for that. Did not get anywhere with the rep other than him telling me I had a spike on Dec 1 and Dec 17. I'm doing some research on those days but they don't appear to be any different than any other day from the past. Let's just say I'm not happy.

I can confirm that there are high data use days on your account in December (above 80 gb/day on 12/1, 12/17 and 12/28).   Please know that the metering system is delayed by up to 24 hours.

Customer owned devices

Metering System:

Overall:

Common data users:

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@naprocks00 wrote:

My internet usage for December 2019 shot up from 800GB on 12/26 evening to 1.6TB on 12/27 morning, and got a call from Comcast automated system that I have exceeded my limit. My Internet usage has not changed. This is the third month where my usage has hit close to 1TB and I am seriously considering alternate options. Comcast does not have a clear answer on why this is.

My usage has been the same and hovering around 600-800GB / month. Why will my usage double in 24 hours?

Yes, the monthly data usage on your account over the past three months has exceeded 1 TB/month (October 1089 gb, November 1013 gb and December at 1715 gb). There were some days in November and December that exceeded 120 gb/day (11/11, 11/20, 11/30, 12/13, 12/20, 12/26 and 12/27. 12/26 was over 300 gb and 12/27 was over 500 gb) if that helps you to track this down.  

Looks like your account is pending a disconnect. Sorry to lose you as a customer. 

Customer owned devices

Metering System:

Overall:

Common data users:

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@hqduong wrote:
Can someone help me? I have been averaging 600-800 GB a month for the last 2 years. Suddenly since Late November I’m going over. This dec I’m head to 2 TB and all tech support wants me to do is rent your modem. I monitor my network like a hawk and I don’t see any device consuming that much data. Can someone please please help me?

It appears that our team attempted a few times in early December to reach you directly at the phone number listed on your account. I will send you a PM (Private Message) to see if there might be a better number for our team to reach you. Thanks for your patience.    

There were several days in December that were over 90 gb/day including 12/3, 12/5, 12/8, 12/11, 12/13,  12/15 and 12/16 if that helps you to track this down . A reminder that the metering system is delayed by up to 24 hours.

January to date shows about 47 gb so far.   

Customer owned devices

Metering System:

Overall:

Common data users:

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@WebScorpion wrote:

I'm still having the same problem, although I will admit their numbers are getting closer to reality.  Last month I didn't hit the cap because we were out of town for 2 weeks, but this month we're back to the same old problem.  There are numerous devices on my wi-fi (mesh) network, but they all funnel through a single Plume Networks superpod.  The Plume network keeps data usage statistics on all devices on the network and it reports that I've only used 797 Gb in the past 30 days, (since Nov 27th,) yet Comcast just sent me my 100% notification so their counter has added over 200 Gb to my numbers.  At this point I'm pretty sure they have no ability to count my data usage individually.  I think they count the numbers for my local switch and divide by the number of users.  My next step is to unplug and see if the counter keeps counting, but I've got to set up an alternate (Verizon hotspot) data feed first.  I shouldn't have to go through all this...and neither should the rest of you. 😞

Apologies for the delay in responding. I wasn't able to locate your account information using the email address that you registered with in this forum.

I will reach out via PM (Private Message) or you can send me a PM with some account information (that can be account number, name, address, or phone number on your account) and I can look into this further.  Thanks for your patience. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@captanbly23 wrote:

OK...I have read ALL the complaints about data usage.  This is an Xfinity site!  Outrageous!  They have still not answered all this outrage.  Simple.  My wife and I are retired.  We are NOT computer people, gamers, or big smartphone users.  6 Devices in our house.  We followed all the guidelines for usage when we cut the cord last August.  I set up a spread sheet and monitor daily.  We go over a TB every Month!  Two OLD PEOPLE!!!  

After calls and calls I was finally told to go on their app that gives me usage by device.  The numbers aere simply wrong.  We have to believ their numbers or go away.  Yes, I believ it is a scam and so many times I have been tempted to do the %0.00 extra and go away.  It really isn't about the money.  It is SO typical of the Canle Industry mentality since their inception.  "MUST increase usage by customer to increase profits".  I will get out f this some how, even if I have to drink more often. LOL...However it isn't really funny...the cable and internet compaines are indeed out to get us.  I guess we are all in on the conspiracy.  I do know one thing...changing to internet only and cutting the cable has only made me HATE COMCAST more!

Apologies for the issues and the experience that you described above. Apologies also for the delay in responding.

As you have read "all of the complaints" in this thread, you may have seen numerous responses from me here.    

The monthly data usage on your account has been fairly consistent from July through December -  a range of 864 gb to 1123 gb over this time period;  this is an average of 997 gb/month. 

No single day in November, December or January (to date) has exceeded 50 gb/day . It's pretty consistent daily usage (no spikes).

Customer owned devices

Metering System:

Overall:

Common data users:

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@leoger wrote:

Please read the Best Answer in this thread to report issue to Comcast.

Also, here's a related article:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/comcast-incorrectly-charged-2000-customers-for-exceeding-data-cap/

To clarify - in regards to the above linked article, that initial issue was a confirmed and acknowledged event in the Fall of 2019 that was identified, corrected and resolved. It was acknowledged in this thread in October.  That specific issue impacted a very small number of our customers (less than 2,000) .

Once it was raised here (and in other places), the right teams investigated, we owned that issue, we apologized publicly and then we worked with impacted customers directly to make it right. 

From the Fall issue: "While updating our data usage meter to a new system, a software error occurred resulting in a small number of our customers being billed incorrectly. We're very sorry for inconveniencing our customers and here's what we're doing to address it: We fixed the technical issue, we're proactively crediting the accounts affected, and we're giving those customers an additional $50 credit to make it right".

Our teams have investigated subsequent individual issues posted here and have not seen a common thread or pattern. If they do, we will own it and work to make it right - as we have done in the past. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

I finally decided I had enough of this runaround and switched to AT&T.  Dozens of people just on this forum having the same issue - usage increasing 25-100% with no apparent change in devices or patterns - yet the only response is a cut and paste putting the onus back on us and to take Comcast's word that their meters are accurate.  The $50 credit covered one month of overage so that is a drop in the bucket from what the company will make on future overages or upgrades to unlimited.  

The types of households that could exceed the 1TB according to Comcast's own website do not jive at all with the folks that are hitting overages.  Some folks in this thread have been told they have had single day usages of 500GB to 1TB.  One day!!  That should be just about impossible if you go by what 1TB should entail per the website.  I told the AT&T tech about our overages and he just laughed and said that's an enormous amount of data.

I have long heard horror stories about the Comcast customer experience but foolishly switched when I moved back in 2018.  Shame on me.  Trying the deal with the "customer service" folks was an exercise in futility.  The account rep that was supposed to contact me after I posted here left a voicemail on my wife's phone claiming he'd been trying to reach her and saying he was closing the ticket.  I called him back the next day and left a message.  Never heard back.  I posted here and Comcast Ted passed that along to him.  Still never heard anything.  Comcast Ted - I give you credit for monitoring this and attempting to help people.  But something is up and people want an explanation besides posting links to how to cut back on usage.  A better explanation is needed for why all of these people have sudden huge spikes in usage and how their usage patterns can possibly fit the stated parameters to hit 1TB .  Because it sure seems there is no desire to truly explain what is happening.

My new plan is cheaper with unlimited data and speeds showing over 900mbs up and down.  And I'll have peace of mind and won't have to worry about this garbage.  Best of luck to everyone else trying to figure out what is going on.  

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@Vando22 wrote:

I have been using almost no internt the last four days and am still getting charged for 5-7 GB of data per day.  In fact, I even unplugged the moden entirely yesterday for about 24 hours and just now plugged back in and it says I used 9 GB of data in that time.  Basically 200-250 GB of the 1024 GB I am almost maxing out every month is being stolen by Comcast.  Don't expect that you'll get ananswer from them, they know they can stay hidden like cowards and keep lying to people and stealing from behind the internet... because they think lying and stealing is what the people paying for the internet are doing.  There's nothing you can do about it because they're hiding behind the internet and remaining anonymous and the only way to get at them is through the internet anonymously.  

Apologies for the delay in responding.  I wasn't able to locate your account information using the  email address that you registered with in this forum.

I will reach out via PM (Private Message) or you can send me a PM  with some account information (that can be account number, name, address, or phone number on your account) and I can look into this further.  

Apologies for the issues and the experience that you described above and thanks for your patience. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@Tricia3 wrote:
Home internet

The monthly data usage on your account is at or close to 1 TB a month (August through December so far is well below 1 TB.  January to date shows about 96 gb so far.  

Some high usage (above 110 gb) on the following days: 11/2, 12/14, and 12/26 (over 160 gb on 12/26).   A reminder that the metering system is delayed by up to 24 hours. 

Customer owned devices

Metering System:

Overall:

Common data users:

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@Tkitchens wrote:
Our internet usage has doubled this month as well, and we've never went over. Is something being done about this?

Deceember's data usage at 1330 gb was certainly much higher than in previous months. There was significant usage on 12/24 (130 gb) and 12/25 (310 gb) that are out of your usual pattern.
The rest of December was under 60 gb/day. 

Another high usage day was 11/2 (over 200 gb). A reminder that the metering system is delayed by up to 24 hours.

January to date shows about 45 gb so far.   

Customer owned devices

Metering System:

Overall:

Common data users:

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here